Chapter 1 - Curious Eyes

Memoirs and Photographs

Five years, four months, three weeks and two days to be exact when my life totally changed. It seemed like I traveled from a time machine. In a blink of an eye, here I am; sitting in front of the furnace in a cold, winter morning with a nine month old child inside my tummy. I smiled, as I looked at the wedding ring fancily wrapped around my ring finger. Looking back, my frail “yes” changed our lives totally, when this handsome young man came back from New York. After four years, he fulfilled his promise; to return as a fine, matured and responsible man who’s the heir of the multi-billion Shin Hwa Group. I can still remember, I was still wearing my pre-med uniform when he knelt down in front of me, showed this ring and sweetly asked my hand for marriage.

            “Mom, I can hear my baby sister!” a four year old boy said while gently caressing my big tummy. “She’s happy to have a good big brother like you.”  I smiled in response. The little boy got up from his seat, then went to search for his picture books at the shelves.

            I caressed my tummy and glanced to the boy, my son Ji Yeong. Curly locks, gentle eyes short-tempered attitude, all inherited from his father. Indeed he’ll grow up as a fine young man, the same way just like his father, but not the spoiled-one. I thought. This will be my second time to undergo the pain of bearing a child. But when I was about to bore my first child, he’s always on my side. He never leave me, he tightly hold my hand as I painfully bore our first child. When my son came out, he smiled; the most beautiful smile I’ve ever seen. He immediately held the baby in his arms.

            “Mommy, I’ve never seen this book before.” Ji Yeong said. He toddled his way then sat beside me. “Mommy, it’s Uncle Yi Jeong and Aunt Ga Eul!” He exclaimed. “Let me see, ah yes my dear. That’s your Uncle Yi Jeong and Aunt Ga Eul when we had a trip at New Caledonia. I flipped the album in the first page. “Daddy!” Ji Yeong pointed to the familiar faces that he recognized. “That’s your father when he was still in high school.” I smiled as I pinpointed the picture of my husband. The little boy smirked, the he fiddled his hair. “Curly.” He grinned cheerfully. “Mommy how did you and daddy met?” Ji Yeong asked; eyes filled with curiosity.