Kim Myungsoo's Emporium

Seventh Peak: Restless

 

     It was two gunshots that woke HimChan from the sleep which took him thirty minutes to drift into. Judging from the way he heard it, the gunshots came from the third floor-- the floor where Ae Sol's room was located. When it finally sank in, HimChan quickly sped out of his room, sprinted up the stairs (almost slipped at one step), and kicked open the two master doors. Contrary to what he expected though, which would be a bunch of dead bodies piled at Ae Sol's feet, there was L.Joe pointing a .44 magnum--the same gun he used to kill the six gangsters that attacked them-- at Ae Sol, who sat on the side of her bed, her face in her hands and the windows behind her smashed with small broken pieces scattered on top of the mattress. 

     HimChan quickly ran over to L.Joe and tried to control him; he pushed him away with one hand and tried to make him lower his gun with the other. L.Joe simply glared and warned HimChan not to get involved, which wrecked HimChan's nerves like crazy, but he still continued on trying to convince the armed man to relax and back down (“Maybe we could talk about it, eh?”). The pink haired man made light of HimChan though, and easily pushed him to the side. As he did, a figure shot through the window, completely shattering the old glass.

     HimChan brushed himself and tried to stand up and regain composure, but found himself pushed into the wall, hanging by his shoulders, and looking straight into the deformed eyes of whatever creature was standing before him. The creature had the look of a deformed human (or at least the body parts of one); the skin around what looked to be its eyes seemed melted and its nose was inexistent. Its irises were black as night and the supposed whites around its eyes were crimson red. It raised its webbed hands towards HimChan, a grin playing on its plump black lips. HimChan was unable to breathe and felt his heart loudly throbbing against his chest. He closed his eyes in a vile attempt to make the horror disappear then considered himself saved when the sound of two loud gunshots rang throughout the room. HimChan fell on his and felt a light, gooey thing on his lap. He opened his eyes and quickly shoved away the creature that had fallen on him, looked away while he tried to catch his breathe, and looked around.

     The pink haired man dressed in a black wife beater and straight-cut light pants glared at HimChan and shortly walked over to AeSol, who HimChan noticed was wearing her violet silk nightgown (which he found absolutely stunning, AeSol, that is). L.Joe laid a hand on AeSol’s shoulder and whispered a few things to her, before walking out the room and running down the stairs. Our stunned blonde friend, on the other hand, finally recovered from his shock, walked over to AeSol. He was about to copy L.Joe’s action and lay a hand on AeSol’s shoulder but noticed a tattoo on the back of her right shoulder. It looked like an angel’s wing and was drawn in black ink (but HimChan claims he saw it turn red a split-second before he stared at it). He cleared his throat, trying to calm himself down and do a comforting action of some kind, but quickly withdrew his hand when L.Joe came in the room telling AeSol to sit up straight.

     As ordered, AeSol sat upright and only did HimChan notice the blood dripping down her forehead. He panicked and asked what had happened, but both figures ignored him. “What happened?! Tell me!” He kept on pestering the two as L.Joe opened the medicine pack he brought and started cleaning the injured woman’s forehead with a dampened small towel. HimChan looked at AeSol with a concerned face, he knelt down and tried to help treat the bruise, but L.Joe slapped his hand away.

“I want to help—“ HimChan tried to say but L.Joe simply glared at him.
“Please let me—“
“It’s better if you don’t.” L.Joe strictly said as he took out a piece of gauze pad and was about to put against AeSol’s bruise when HimChan pushed his hand away.
“What do you think you’re doing?” L.Joe glared at HimChan.

     HimChan rummaged through the medicine pack and brought out two--three bottles of antiseptics and antibiotics. He quickly got to work and started dabbing the cottom damped with medicine on AeSol’s wound while trying to explain to L.Joe that, if the wound was not cleansed with the medicines he took out, there would be a high chance of infection (especially since the creature that caused the wound looked like it would just be filled with different bacterias and viruses). 

"Never thought you'd be good for something," she smirked.
“Weak shooters can still be medics."

 

     HimChan fixed his red scarf and looked back at AeSol as she put on her shoes and yelled a few other reminders to L.Joe, who had just rushed down the stairs and threw AeSol a small leather box, which she quickly hid in her black sling bag. HimChan sighed and looked out the window, L.Joe had suggested they go to some "Emporium" earlier and AeSol completely agreed. She then told HimChan to get ready to go out and, here they are now. Neither of the two bothered to explain to him, though, where they would be going and what they would be seeing there, AeSol said that it would be better that way. HimChan felt a shiver down his spine, 'Maybe this isn't such a good idea..'

"Alright. Ready, newbie?" AeSol grinned. She was unusually enthusiastic tonight, even after she almost got attacked by that weird creature thing an hour or two ago, and from the way HimChan got to know Ae Sol's personality for the last seven days, she should've broken every piece of breakable furniture that night because she let herself get attacked...  But here she was, grinning like a little child and the only thing that was missing was for her to jump around and keep on asking 'are we there yet?' (But that would be impossible character-wise).

"Is there anything special that I need to know about this place that we're going to" HimChan held his breathe after he asked the question he's been spending a few minutes contemplating if he would ask it or not.
"Knowing you, you probably wouldn't want to know." Ae Sol smirked and dragged HimChan out the door before he could say anything else.

     It was HimChan's first time walking the streets of Seventh Peak anytime later than 9P.M. The previous nights he was out, AeSol would deny his request to look around and would quickly drag him home. Surprisingly though, HimChan would find himself asleep around five minutes after he laid down his bed, even if he was as awake as a child on sugar an hour or two ago. It was only tonight when he found himself unable to sleep, and he couldn't figure out why. 'I didn't drink any coffee tonight' HimChan thought to himself as they walked along the quiet sidewalks of Aberrant Street. HimChan threw his arms around himself and watched as the air he breathed out appeared to be as thick as a fog, then thought that maybe tonight would've been a good time to use those ear muffs he bought a few days back. 

"It's cold," he commented as he continued to watch his fog-breathe.
"Midnights are the coldest times here." AeSol nodded to herself and breathed an equally thick breathe. 
"Is that why you've never let me go out at midnight?"
"Nope. It's because you'll probably get killed by the next step you take." 
HimChan froze and gulped, "Is it really that dangerous here at night?"
"Well, Central Square it's more of a wonderland for people like you, but anywhere else," AeSol sighed, turned her head, and mumbled, "The thing from earlier came from here."

     Looking around, Aberrant Street is actually a bit similar to Eighty-Sixth street, besides not having AeSol's apartment and being well-lit, everything else was close to identical. The streets were both littered with plastic cups and cards that looked to be advertising some sort of adult shop located somewhere near Lucifer avenue (apparently the street was named an avenue six months back), even the eerie winds that would sound as if it was carrying a scream or two was the same. It was unusually homey and familiar for HimChan, and he was about to relax when AeSol slapped his back.

"Remember what I told you?" 

     Of course he wouldn't forget; "Don't ever let your guard down". For the past four days AeSol would remind him every day, each and every time they go out of the house, that particular phrase. She even got L.Joe to say it to HimChan that one day when he left earlier than AeSol -- surprisingly AeSol actually let him go to the owner's shop alone even after that Master story the owner told him, AeSol was quiet the whole walk back to their apartment though and HimChan though it would be better for all of them if he didn't ask AeSol. 

HimChan nodded, "Of course."
"You do but you're not incoporating it," AeSol scoffed and fastened her pace, "hurry up newbie."

     Somehow, the ten-minute walk was peaceful. Considering the phrase AeSol mumbled, HimChan expected more of those creatures to jump out of the houses and start attacking them, which he figured would probably end in either his untimely demise or his coward state in front of AeSol as she would, probably, defeat the creatures with ease. He'd imagine her pulling out guns similar to L.Joe's and making light of all those creatures that would attack them; she would dance as gracefully as the wind, eliminating one by one the deformed monsters and barely breaking a sweat. She would smirk, grin, and look back at HimChan, maybe help him to his feet even. 

     HimChan frowned as he imagined what would come after that; AeSol would probably laugh at him for being weak, she won't even wait until they were back at the aparments or care if they were safe, she would simply mock him and walk in front of him while they proceed to wherever destination they would arrive at.

"We're here," like that, AeSol would probably smirk and look back at him. Maybe call him weak again before they would even be able to enter the--

"Oi. Pay attention!" AeSol smacked HimChan's head, bringing him back to reality.

     AeSol walked through the bulding's door as HimChan observed the structure. The outside of the building looked as if it had been taken from an 80's movie; there was a big wooden sign nailed above the huge, almost half a human's size window and the wooden door that read, "Head Emporium". HimChan shrugged of the idea of the shop being an actual head shop, and considered that maybe, it was just a name play for headdresses and the like, but mentaly hit himself when he remembered that the city is the place where an actual head emporium is most possible. He did, however, sigh of relief when he stepped in the store and found headdresses displayed on shelves, glasses neatly organized on multiple tables, other head accessories put somewhere were the customer can see them, and no head resulting from a decapitation in sight. 

"SungYeol, I need to speak to L," AeSol impatiently told the black haired man sitting at what seems to be a cashier desk. The man intently looked at the doll head's hair that he was brushing. He puckered his lips as he titled his head and continued to brush the red hair in a different .
"Are you listening to me, choding?!"
"I can hear you but I'm not listening," SungYeol replied as he started braiding the doll's hair, "L is sleeping. What would you even want at this hour?"

     At this time, HimChan has been looking around the shop in awe, there was a whole wall of the shop decorated with nothing but polaroid picture of different people in different places. There were some who had smiles on their faces, some who looked sad, some who looked as if they were blessed by God with all the beauty in the world, and some who seemed to be deprived of it. What caught HimChan's attention though, was how some pictures were marked with a big red "X", and how some were being held by green thumbtacks a few were held by yellow ones, and even fewer were held by black ones. He was intruigued by the ones held up by yellow thumbtacks; there was AeSol and even L.Joe, a picture of twins, a beautiful exotic looking woman and...HimChan held his breathe as he looked closer at one of the marked "X" ones which was also held by a yellow thumbtack; it was a picture of a familiar red-headed man that looked like he was in his late 20's. HimChan took the photograph and looked at the back. There was a name messily written on it, and a symbol of a clock; the little hand pointing at two, and the big one at twelve.

"Kim DongHyun." 
"What are you doing?"  The black haired man named SungYeol grabbed the photograph from HimChan and pushed him towards AeSol, "Alright I'll get you to L, just don't touch anything on that wall." 

     SungYeol sighed and walked away as AeSol smirked and patted HimChan's back, "Good Job newbie." HimChan dumbly nodded and followed the two as they walked towards a backroom of some sort. They walked through the back door, out of the building, and HimChan had to hold his nose when they entered a small house that wreaked of iron and the smell of rotten fish.

"L!" AeSol shouted as soon as they entered the foyer.

     It's curious how AeSol was not taken back, not even for a second or two. Then again, HimChan knew she was used to this stuff, even if he was not, even if he had to hold onto one of the chairs when he laid his eyes on the 'displays'. There was a strong smell of formaline and alcohol in the air, even when they entered the Emporium, HimChan could barely smell it. And it was all because of this.

      Hundreds of jars filled to the brim with formalin mixed with other preservatives lined the shelves. And inside those jars were heads; male, female, old, young, beautiful, handsome, some had holes in their foreheads, while some had scars and cuts. All, however, had severed necks, there were only torn flesh at the supposed place. The jars all dimly glowed a faint green, but there was enough of them to colour the whole room ember. Even when SungYeol had the lights, the colour only intensified and revealed more of the contained body parts. 

     HimChan felt his stomach in knots, he could feel his eyes watering from both the irritation from the solution and the whole scene. He could not think straight and could not move his body. Even when AeSol came over to him and tried to help him stand, he could not hold his weight, and soon found himself outside once again, staring at the bright white moon, trying to calm himself down. But it was vain as he heard that familiar voice again...

"I will have you."

 

"Myungsoo stop playing games" AeSol exclaimed as she slammed her palms on the table.
"What games do you speak of?" The man in black crossed his legs and smirked, "I'm simply doing my job; telling the truth. That boy outside with Yeollie will be something we will not expect. Not I, nor you, nor--"
"I don't care about what will happen to him," AeSol impatiently yelled, "I want to know what codename Oscar is planning."

     Myungsoo chuckled, stood, and walked over to the body mirror at the side of the room. He stared at his reflection; white skin, a sharp handosome face, and black messy hair that seemed to only complement his looks. And yet behind that pretty face lies the twisted obsession of his, but he considers it as a side effect of his choices and sometimes even a gift. 

"What makes you certain that he's plotting something?"
"From the obviousness of his and his Servant's actions, I don't think there would be any doubt--"
"You are doing this for your own sake, then?"
"Yes obviously I--"
"And HimChan?"

AeSol was dumbfounded, what kind of question was that? Why would he try to include someone so irrelevant?

"He will be taken care of as soon as I've taken care of my problems."
"It seems that would be impossible," Myungsoo smiled and turned to the confused AeSol, "Did you know that in some traditions, there is what we call a 'thread of fate'," he sat in front of the standing woman and urged her to sit down, "Our lives are connected by a red thread wrapped around our little fingers. They intertwine, stretch, but never do they break."
"If you're trying to imply that he is the one Oscar wants--"
"I am not implying anything, AeSol," MyungSoo smiled, "I am simply informing you of a... funfact."

AeSol stood and rubbed the bridge of her nose. She sighed and quietly walked around the room, contemplating what the man had just said. Myungsoo, on the other hand, crossed his legs and smiled in amusement. This was not his first time seeing AeSol confused, she would be in every one of her visits, in fact. It was simply amusing to see the strong-wllied, confident woman being thrown back by riddles and word-plays in the middle of her problems and dillemas. 

"I know for a fact that his Servants has something planned for him," AeSol said after ten minutes of silence, "but I also know that he is planning a move against my Master."
"And your obligation requires you to prioritize her instead of him."
"The owner forced me of this charge, I will not prioritize him over my Master."
Myungsoo's smile faded and he looked at AeSol with a serious expression, "Very well."

 

"You know, you're really weak. Are all Twelfth Settlement-ers like you?" SungYeol took a sip from his drink before looking back at HimChan, who had finally recovered after thirty minutes of hyperventilating.
"No, not quite. There is my friend, Yongguk, who is really fond of war and--"
"And the way you speak is too formal. You can't really talk with other people here if you're too polite."
"Then I will not speak too politely--"
"There you go again! Stop it, alright," SungYeol threw HimChan a can of soda, "Just relax. Chill."

HimChan sighed and looked back at the can that read "Milkis".

"You really must--err, you have to tell me, what were those photographs?"
"Photographs?"
"From earlier," HimChan nodded to himself and looked at the can of carbonated milk.
"Oh those. They're pictures of people who live here." 
"So what were the different colored thumbtacks for?"
"Well they're for--"
"Come on newbie, let's go!"

     AeSol stormed out of the house and grabbed HimChan by the arm before he could even hear the end of SungYeol's explanation. He looked back and tried to wave goodbye to SungYeol, but noticed the man who had walked out the door with a smile. He waved to HimChan and yelled an "advice". 

"Keep your resolution strong, my friend."