Chapter 1.

Is that war can destroy us ?

 

A young man, who seemed to be a foreigner, walked the streets of Paris, ration tickets in hand. He was not particularly eccentric, but his narrow eyes and his skin more matt than other passers, drew attention. Despite some attention, he continued his way as if the other marchers did not exist in his world.
 
He turned the corner and went on until reaching the front of a biscuit trade. When he opened the door, the bell placed on top of it, rang to warn owners of the shop, the arrival of a client.
A lady of mature age, arrived with a warm smile planted on his face, wearing a blue coat with a pattern closely resembling the sign of the little shop.
 
"Welcome. What can I do for you?"
 
"Hello. My name is Kwon Jiyong, madam. I learned you were looking for an employee to work at the counter, and then I come here to offer you my services. I worked some time in a cobbler's shop, I also worked at the counter. "
 
"Are you really qualified for this job?"
 
"Of course, madam. I worked several years for a newspaper, I know the contact. I promise you, if I can work for you, that I will work very hard so that you are happy with my presence and my work . "
 
"Very well. So I take you to the test. You start tomorrow."
 
"Thanks, madam." The young man smiled shyly. He would never do to make the best smile he could do at that time. The misery was present for most people here. Rationing was increasingly limited. Every day, dozens of families were starving because of lack of food. This is why Jiyong  held tightly his ration tickets, anybody could rob him. People were ready to do anything, even to steal, if it was to feed their families.
 
He continued his way, wondering how long it would have to wait at the grocery store, before having his-bad-food.
 
When he was at the grocery store, he looked at the long queue of people waiting for the little food they could have. Some waited for hours and when they finally reached the counter, the shopkeeper told them with a sad look, there was nothing left to eat, and they left hungry and in tears, knowing the despair that they would see in the eyes of their children.
 
While waiting, inching in the queue of people, he continued to think about how the war was doing damage. On all levels. Meat was so scarce, that even on the black market, it remained a luxury. Potatoes was expensive, but important for everyone. They allowed a family to feed easily. And bread. Yes the bread. The bread of the war, unlike anything that we can really call bread. He was black and its taste was horrible. When people could find white bread, they tasted like a cake, delighting to have a dish like this, on their table.
 
He examined the people around him. Most was thin, him too for that matter. The features of their faces were drawn and the fatigue and stress marked their faces even more . But they continued to wait, hope shining in their eyes, to find a piece of white bread or a rare treat to bring their children.
 
Worst of all this, was that while people were starving, they saw the Bochs spend their money by buying huge quantities of candy, and food. They walked the streets, quietly chewing their food, making their rounds.
 
But this will change soon, Jiyong thought. We, the resistance, we are here to liberate this country ...