DEVIL [ONE-SHOT]

DEVIL [ONE-SHOT]

 

_____________________________________________

 

 

YoSeop slammed a stack of papers down on the desk.

“What do you mean detention?” He said in disbelief, his voice dangerously close to a shout.

“I’m sorry, YoSeop-shii. He was late to class every day this week.”

“But it’s not his fault! It’s that piano`s practice. It’s always holding him up.”

Miss Juri shook her head. “Music is no excuse. It’s the student’s responsibility to make sure that extracurricular activities don’t interfere with their normal studies. Son DongWoon’s work has gone steadily downhill since he started showing up late, and worse, it affects the rest of the class as well. It’s disruptive to have a student barge in, ten minutes after class has begun. I can’t allow it to continue.”

YoSeop forced himself to take deep breaths. The 17 years old teenager concentrated on steadying his voice.

“Please Miss Juri, give him another chance. I promise that he’ll be perfectly on time from now on. I’ll personally see to it.”

The homeroom teacher pushed her chair out from the table and stood.

“Again, I’m sorry. I can’t make exceptions for students simply because they’re involved in music or sport or whatever it is. It undermines the importance of education.” She collected her books, swinging her blue jacket from the back of her chair as she prepared to leave.

“Then let me do the detention in his place,” YoSeop said, desperate to fix the situation somehow.

Woonie couldn’t possibly get his studying done if he had to serve detention on top of the countless hours of that damned piano practice forced him to endure every day. Woonie had worked too hard to get into Cube High School to have his grades ruined by a music club, especially since he didn’t even play in the actual competition.

“You’re on the disciplinary committee; you know perfectly well that’s not allowed. He has to serve his own punishment, so please don’t try to interfere. Once detention this week is over, I’ll consider it a clean slate. But if his punctuality doesn’t improve after that...” Miss Juri sighed, shaking his head.

“Good day.”

“Good day,” YoSeop mumbled, watching the female leave. As soon as she was gone, he slammed a fist down on the table.

This was the last straw.

Jang HyunSeung.

Every time he thought he had reached the limit of how much pointless damage that orange-haired boy could possibly do to everyone around him, he succeeded in proving him that he was wrong.

Why hadn’t Woonie told him that HyunSeung was forcing him to attend practice during the lunch period? Wasn’t practice every afternoon, and most of the day on weekends, enough? And now it was getting so bad that Woonie’s grades were being affected.

YoSeop and DongWoon had been neighbors and best friend since kindergarten. They were pretty much like brothers. YoSeop was a brave child. He was growing up as a young man with a strong will and high sensitivity of justice. DongWoon on the other hand, was a shy, timid, and passive boy; contrasting with his well-built frame and deep impression that he always gave people. And he hadn`t change much till now.

Too far. He was going way too far.

This time he was going to put a stop to it.

He grabbed his books and paperwork, tossing them into his bag pack. An angry shout from the hallway caught his attention and he glanced out the window. It was Yoon Dujun, one of HyunSeung`s closest friend of course--who else could scream profanity that loud? In this school, only HyunSeung`s partner in crime do that. He crossed his arms and watched angrily through the window.

Out on the playing field, Dujun, the school soccer captain was busy spitting curses at his helpless teammates. As YoSeop watched, he planted a whack in the middle of Chansung’s back. YoSeop gritted his teeth. Chansung live only two blocks from him. He was his close junior. And YoSeop knew HyunSeung hit DongWoon like that sometimes too.

He flung his bag over his shoulder and started down the stairs. GiKwang and Gayoon met him in the hallway.

“So, how did it go?” GiKwang asked.

YoSeop sighed in frustration. “I won’t be able to study with you tonight, Kiki. I have to help Woonie with his detention, whether I’m allowed to or not.” He sped up, forcing his friends from the discipline`s committee to double step to keep up with him.

“Damn that bastard Jang HyunSeung,” YoSeop growled.  He felt like want to introduce that devil to his knuckle. “I can’t stand it anymore. Someone’s got to make him responsible for all the trouble he causes.”

“Please don’t do anything stupid, YoSeop-shii,” Gayoon said, as the three of them trudged out from the main school block. “That guy is dangerous. You’ve seen the kind of stuff he does to people who piss him off.”

“Yeah, he’s just an unfortunate part of life at this school,” GiKwang added. “Nothing you do to him is going to matter, anyway. It never has.”

YoSeop didn’t answer.

He walked deliberately toward the west block, where the music club was practicing in the main music hall. It was then he spotted JinWoon and Taemin.

“Hey! Jinwoon, Taemin! Why you are here?” He asked the trumpeter and the drummer. “Don`t you have practice?”

Both the first year students looking at each other before the taller boy replied, “We have special practice today. HyunSeung-sunbaenim ordered us to play soccer with DuJun-sunbaenim`s team.”

Excuse me?

The head prefect widened his eyes in shock, “What the hell was THAT for??!!”

Several other sports teams were out doing their afternoon practice as well, running laps and sparring good-naturedly on the grass. A few of third years on the field waved to them as they passed, but YoSeop ignored it. He made a beeline for the slender figure in the center of the field.

His friends stopped at the edge of the grass, clearly afraid to get too close.

“Yoyo...” GiKwang whispered, “Please be careful.”

YoSeop stomped fearlessly up to HyunSeung, who was standing over DuJun and Yong JunHyung, his other partner in crime. Even when all he could see was the back of his orange head, he could tell the bastard was smiling.

“HyunSeung!”He said sharply, coming to a stop directly behind him. He turned his head to look at the shorter boy over his shoulder, fixing YoSeop with a doe-eyed glare.

“Don’t interrupt our special practice. Go annoy someone else for a change.” He turned back to his two best friends.

“Don’t interrupt YOUR practice?”YoSeop said. “Don’t make me laugh. You sure don’t mind interrupting everyone else’s lives, do you? How about Dong Woon’s grades, or his reputation with the teachers?”

 He pointed toward the school`s buildings. “Do you know he’s in there scrubbing the floors and blackboards right now, because you caused him to get detention?”

HyunSeung’s grin widened. YoSeop was about to ask what he found so funny, when he noticed a figure, a tall figure poking out from behind the tackling dummy. A tall figure with dark brown hair. To YoSeop’s disbelief, it was DongWoon, crouching in the dirt and trying to make himself as small and inconspicuous. If that even possible with his obvious height difference with HyunSeung.  Strangely enough, he hadn’t noticed him from the window.

“Woonie!”YoSeop gasped, running over to him. “What are you doing here? If you don’t serve your detention you’ll be in big trouble!”

DongWoon fidgeted nervously. “Well, you see...Jang-sunbaenim...” He mumbled. Confused, he turned back to the said boy. He stood grinning malevolently, tossing a football with one hand.

“There are lots of people around here who can scrub toilets. They practically volunteered to do the detention for him.”

YoSeop stared in shock. Of course, he had bullied some other poor student into doing DongWoon’s work for him. So typical...

He reached for DongWoon, preparing to drag him back to the school. To his surprise, he flinched as if he expected it to hurt. He suddenly noticed the fresh bruises that were forming on his arms.

“Woonie," he said softly. “What happened to you?”

DongWoon opened his mouth to answer, but was immediately cut off by his club`s president.

“We’re engage in sport,” HyunSeung said, shrugging. “His body is too weak. He had a lot of energy but he can`t utilize it into practicing piano. He`ll stop fidgeting around with the music notes if he know how to move his fingers correctly.”

YoSeop couldn’t believe what he was hearing. He whirled back around to face HyunSeung.

“How could you?” He asked, unbelievingly. “He doesn’t even an athlete! Why the hell would he need to learn how to play soccer? How is that related his piano`s lesson? Why do you keep doing this to him? Why?”

HyunSeung didn’t answer.

He tore his eyes from HyunSeung’s simpering face and reached for DongWoon. They were getting out of here right now. He would help him finish his detention for today, and they would forget about this nonsense once and for all. He grabbed the boy’s arm, pulling him away from the dummy.

“Come on, Woonie, this is over--“

He froze.

His hand touched something warm and wet.

Blood...

DongWoon’s upper arm was one enormous abrasion, seeping blood and crusted with dirt. For an instant, all YoSeop could do was stare in horror. Rage boiled up within him, drowning out every other thought.

Without another word, he whirled around and punched HyunSeung across the face as hard as he could.

Silence fell over the entire field. All around them, students had stopped what they were doing and were staring slack jawed, their own practice forgotten. From across the field, Gayoon uttered a terrified squeal.

YoSeop’s heart was thundering in his chest. His knuckle stung from the impact.

HyunSeung had an odd expression on his face, one YoSeop had never seen until now. Not surprising, as no one had ever dared to physically attack him before.

YoSeop took a deep breath. He grabbed DongWoon’s hand, pulling him roughly behind him. Without saying a word to anyone, he strode purposefully back to the school.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

“Come on everyone, line up, tallest in the back,” the principal said, speaking through a bullhorn. “Move along, so we can get started.”

The spring sun baked down on the students, who were dutifully lining up on the hillside above the playing field. A few of the bolder students had taken off their jackets and were sitting on them like picnic blankets, as they waited for the school’s first assembly of the year to begin.

The week had passed uneventfully. News of YoSeop’s attack on HyunSeung had spread through the entire school, and by the next day he was infamous as the only person who had ever defied him and lived to tell about it.

So far, oddly enough, HyunSeung had done nothing in retaliation. The hot topic of the school was how badly YoSeop would suffer, because surely HyunSeung would want revenge. Everywhere YoSeop went; groups of students would stop and whisper to each other, often giving him sympathetic looks. YoSeop ignored them. He wasn’t afraid of HyunSeung--he was a bully, after all, and bullies always back down when someone finally has the guts to stand up to them.

He wouldn’t dare do anything to him. Well...probably not. Right?

Finally, the last group of students was in place, and the assembly was ready to begin. YoSeop joined his friends in their section. GiKwang looked around, scanning the sea of black uniforms.

“I don’t see him,” he said nervously.

“HyunSeung? He’s always late,” YoSeop replied. “He does it on purpose. Don’t waste time worrying about it.”

“Yoyo, aren’t you afraid?” GiKwang asked, his face drawn with concern. “You never should have done that.”

YoSeop sighed. They had had this exact conversation a dozen times already. “No, I’m not afraid, Kiki. Just relax and watch the assembly. HyunSeung isn’t going to do anything.”

GiKwang didn’t look convinced.

“Attention everyone!” The principal stood on a small stage that had been set up on the forward edge of the playing field. “I’d like to begin. Welcome to a new year...”

“Listen, I need to go to the restroom,” YoSeop said. “They’ll start introducing the clubs in a few minutes. I’ll be back before they get to the disciplinary committee.”

“You can’t go alone,” GiKwang said. “What if he’s around...”

“I’ll be fine, don’t worry I’ll be back in five minutes, I promise.”

He quickly left the assembly area, ducking down to keep from getting in anyone’s way. The boy’s restroom was at the near end of the school building, just up the hill from the field. He could easily get there and back in time for his presentation.

The restroom, as expected, was empty. The students were required to attend the assembly, so the entire school was vacant for now.

YoSeop slipped inside.

 

 

 

****

 

 

 

“And that was JoKwon, president of the 2nd year.” The students broke out in polite applause as the boy stepped down from the stage and returned to his place in the crowd.

“It’s almost time for the disciplinary committee to be presented,” GiKwang said. “Where’s Yoyo?”

“He should be back by now,” said Gayoon, checking her watch. “He’s been gone for 15 minutes.”

GiKwang chewed his plump lip nervously. It wasn’t like YoSeop to be late. Something was wrong.

Behind them, a group of male students were chatting quietly as SeungHyun, 3rd year president began his address. “Man, we should have assemblies more often,” said one of the boys. “It’s nice to be able to relax for a few minutes.”

“Yeah,” replied his friend. “I’m happy being anywhere that HyunSeung isn’t.”

“What do you mean?” asked GiKwang, turning to the boys. “Wooyoung-shii, he’s not here?”

The first boy shrugged. “Can’t you tell? It’s not like he blends in or anything. I only see JunHyung and DuJun.”

GiKwang felt a chill. He stood and faced the crowd, not caring if he got in anyone’s way.

“Gayoon-shii, I don't see him,” GiKwang whispered.

Gayoon stood, looking around as well. She noticed a tall dude with black spiky hair. Yoon Dujun. She spotted Yong JunHyung, the volleyball team`s captain sitting next to DuJun.  To her surprise, her eyes met DuJun`s and before she could organized anything, he winked.

He winked at her.

She tried to hide the gasp that success to escape from and continued her searching party

But no orange hair.

Jang HyunSeung wasn’t here.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

YoSeop walked over to the sink, the taps of his footsteps on the tile echoing through the restroom. In the distance, he could hear the muffled voice of the principal as he continued the assembly on the field below. He adjusted the tie around his damp neck, pausing for a moment to enjoy the cool quiet of the restroom. He had a few minutes to spare; after the principal’s address, each of the three class presidents would be given a chance to speak.

The automatic faucet with a wave of his hand. YoSeop lathered his hands with soap, then rinsed and reached for a paper towel. He glanced up in the mirror, making sure his hair was still reasonably neat.

He looked up just in time to see the door begin to swing shut.

Jang HyunSeung.

Behind the door was HyunSeung, leaning against the wall and grinning evilly.

He watched in horror as he pushed the door shut with one hand and flipped the lock. The sound echoed ominously through the empty restroom.

YoSeop whirled around, his heart in his throat. He must have noticed him leaving the assembly alone and followed him here.

HyunSeung’s smile grew even wider. He walked slowly over to YoSeop, looking disturbingly like a lion closing in on its prey. YoSeop stumbled backwards, bumping into the sink behind him. HyunSeung didn’t stop moving until the two of them were only inches apart, their bodies nearly touching.

YoSeop was of average height, but right now he felt tiny and weak. HyunSeung was taller than him, and with the two of them this close, he had to tilt his head way back just to see his face.

It’s all just for intimidation, he reminded himself. HyunSeung was like an animal--he could smell fear, and would use it to his advantage whenever possible. He had to keep his cool. He stared at him, maintaining eye contact.

“You must be confused,” he said. Thankfully, YoSeop`s voice was calm and steady. “This is the boy`s bathroom. I’ll be happy to show you out...”

There`s a pause.

HyunSeung`s quirked an eye brow, waiting.

“…Princess.”

“Oh?” HyunSeung said smoothly. “I don’t see any girls around.” Without warning, he his hand into YoSeop’s suit pocket. He jumped in surprise, unable to suppress a startled gasp. He pulled out his cell phone, switching off the power and slipping it into his own pocket. “Just you and me.”

YoSeop swallowed. What exactly was he planning to do? Beating up people was unspeakably barbaric, but in his year as disciplinary officer he had seen HyunSeung do far worse than that. Students foolish enough to openly defy him had a strange tendency to have bizarre “accidents,” showing up in class the next day wearing bruises and an expression of haunted terror. And YoSeop had defied him more blatantly than anyone ever had...

Without his phone to call for help, YoSeop was completely on his own. He glanced around quickly, looking for something he could potentially use as a weapon. There was nothing, not even a mop. He curled her hands into fists, pressing them against the sink behind him.

“You cause me a lot of ing trouble,” HyunSeung said. “Most people have enough sense not to argue with me.”

“I wouldn’t argue so much if you didn’t abuse DongWoon so badly,” YoSeop said. “And everyone else for that matter. You have no right to treat people the way you do.”

“Hmph. I’ll treat everyone exactly how I want to treat them. That includes my club member, my secretary, and you.”

So this is it, then, YoSeop thought. He did intend to get his revenge on him, here where he was helpless and no one was around to stop him. Did he honestly expect him to beg for mercy?

Not a chance.

“I don’t care what you do to me,” YoSeop said softly. “But my friends are another issue altogether. I won’t let you abuse the people that I care about. Not DongWoon, not anyone.”

He raised his head, voice getting stronger as he continued. “You can beat me up or trash my reputation or do whatever else you like to do to ruin people, but it won’t matter. I’ll never back down and give in to you. Never! Do you understand?”

HyunSeung stared at him through his narrowed doe eyes. Silence hung heavily in the empty room as YoSeop waited for his reaction. He could feel tears collecting in his eyes, and he hated it--hated himself for showing weakness in front of people like Jang HyunSeung.

“Why you are so ing taking care of him so ing much?”

‘What?” YoSeop confused with the sudden tone of HyunSeung`s voice. Something about it screamed sad and alone to him.

HyunSeung leaned forward suddenly. With a gasp, YoSeop flinched, preparing, for whatever he was about to inflict on him.

But the only contact came from his lips pressing against YoSeop`s.

YoSeop’s eyes snapped open. A warm feeling slid down his back, making his skin tingle. He was unable to move or to think, his mind and body too busy concentrating on the feel of his mouth against his own flesh.  

HyunSeung reached up and placed his hands on his shoulders, restraining him as he pressed his body up against YoSeop. His hands were unexpectedly gentle. He could feel the warmth of his body through the fabric of his uniform, and the sensation made his heart race.

His instinct was to push him away, but his arms had suddenly turned to lead and refused to respond. He was too surprised to resist when he deepened the kiss, sliding his tongue between his lips. The tip of his tongue touched his, and then the kiss was over as suddenly as it had begun.

A silence hovering them before YoSeop managed to move a muscle.

 “Hyun-“

HyunSeung placed his long finger on YoSeop`s lips. His eyes displayed emotions that YoSeop can`t quite figured it out. The lips where there was too much “F”-words came out of it everyday moved, “Why can`t you looked around other people other than your ing childhood friend? “He hissed softly in his ear.

He caressed his cheek, his fingertips leaving trails of fire on YoSeop`s skin. “Yang YoSeop, I-“

The door suddenly smashed open, flying open so fast that it slammed noisily into the wall behind it.

“Yoyo!”

GiKwang stood in the doorway, a look of terror on his face. His eyes widened as he spotted the two of them. HyunSeung stepped back, his hands held innocently in his pockets.

The space in front of YoSeop suddenly seemed unnaturally vacant. Despite the heat of the day, he was chilly after the loss of contact with his body.

“Are you okay?” GiKwang gasped, running over to his friend. YoSeop blinked, still slightly dazed. Behind GiKwang, Gayoon stood in the doorway, an equally frightened expression on her face. Beside her was one of the 3rd year teachers.

“Is everything all right?” the Mr. Joonkun asked, looking suspiciously at HyunSeung. “GiKwang-shii and Gayoon-shii said there was some kind of trouble.”

“No trouble,” said HyunSeung, giving the teacher his best demonic smile.  

He spotted DuJun and JunHyung that was just arrived. JunHyung throw him his trademark smirk that said, “I see what you did there”. DuJun quirked his eye brow in peculiar way, a manner that HyunSeung replied with a wink.

 “I was just leaving.”

The teacher paled, but said nothing. HyunSeung walked casually to the door, acting as if nothing had happened.

“H--HyunSeung,” YoSeop said. He didn’t respond as he walked past the teacher and out the door.

“Yoyo! He didn’t touch you, did he?” GiKwang asked, hugging him protectively.

YoSeop didn’t answer. He could feel his cheeks burning, and his heart still hammered in his chest. He his lips, tasting the raspberry mint of HyunSeung’s gum.

Jang HyunSeung had definitely touched him...and his words at the end, despite whether he really mean it or not, he wanted to feel again.

 

 

THE END