Night and Day

Winter in the Wilderness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Upon having the Cheshire Cat join their group, Minjeong learned several things about her:

 

She liked to smile. A lot.

 

She also liked to talk. About herself. A lot.

 

Sometimes, she did these things separately, but mostly it was simultaneous... and obnoxious. 

 

Within only a few hours of meeting her, Minjeong was forced to learn the following: 

 

1) Cheshire had an extraordinary list of allergies, including garlic.

 

2) She had already written her own autobiography and was now working on a sequel. 

 

3) She had turned said autobiography into a musical entitled "Chasing Cheshire Cat.”

 

4) She can hold her breath for six minutes, which was more than any average creature. 

 

5) There was so much more, but this was the point where Minjeong had stopped paying attention.

 

“... And that's why women are the superior ," Cheshire had been ranting profusely. She glanced at Minjeong for some back up, but she just rolled her eyes and kept her gaze straight ahead. "Don't you agree?"

 

“Don't you realize I'm not listening to you?" she shot back. Cheshire, however, did not notice her response and just continued on merrily.

 

“Statistics show women have less health problems, less chances to be thrown in jail, and less probability to commit suicide and/or homicide. Plus, we live longer." Her vibrant smile shined like a thousand fluorescent light bulbs. The March Hare nodded at her oddly, and Squirrel smiled back with a tinge of confusion. The Hatter wasn't paying the least bit of attention, but Cheshire was looking at Minjeong with such expectancy... kind of like those abandoned kittens at the animal shelter. Minjeong snorted inwardly, rolling her eyes with much more dramatic emphasis than needed.

 

“I mean, was it really a surprise that a girl was chosen to lead and retake Kwangya? I practically expected it, though I was rather stunned it wasn't me at first, and while it'll take some getting used to, I know my part is still vital. Don't you think so, Minjeong?"

 

“Listen, Creepy Cat - "

 

“It’s Cheshire Cat."

 

“Whatever," Minjeong dismissed. "Here's how this works. You talk, I don't listen. In fact, why don't you just skip the talking in general so I don't have to deal with you. Okay? Okay."

 

“But - "

 

“What did I just say? No talking." She lifted a finger to her lips and faked a smile. Cheshire opened to say something else, but Minjeong her heel and marched away.

 

“Well aren't you just the firecracker," Hatter smirked as she reached her pace. Minjeong rolled her eyes and placed her hands on her hips, trying to burn down the amusement rising in Hatter’s eyes.

 

“I don't like people who talk more than they need to. Oh wait, that includes you too," she squinted mockingly.

 

They had been trekking through the forest at a faster pace than they normally traveled. There was a slight tension in the air, perhaps out of fear that another bandersnatch incident would occur; Minjeong certainly could not do with another injury, especially since she had just gotten used to walking on her injured leg. That, plus, she wasn't sure if she would be able to handle another onslaught of humiliation for not being able to protect herself. Still, the whole group were on their toes, hopeful to prevent any potential mishaps from happening.

 

Hatter led with Minjeong closely following behind, Squirrel perched on her shoulder. The March Hare and Cheshire Cat trailed without too much distance, but this did not stop Cheshire from continuing on her babbling rampage. March Hare had an almost permanent confused look on her face, but she was too much of a nice person not to provide Cheshire the required bit attention she craved. At times, Minjeong noticed, she seemed to almost enjoy her rants, only to look confused once again which required Cheshire to explain what should be well-known facts. Minjeong had been trying to balance her distance between the Hatter and Cheshire Cat because only heaven would have known what she would have done if either of them invaded her personal space (or worse, both).

 

As they marched further into the woods, Minjeong was starting to tire magnificently, but the determination in her companions' faces made her continue without complaint. It was such a strange feeling, being so exposed to the wilderness like they were. Minjeong had been so used to city life. Now being placed in such an adventurous surrounding, she felt an unexplainable adrenaline rush that she had never experienced before. It made her heart pound and her stomach flutter, all the while keeping a small smile on her face. It was exciting, new, and dreadfully scary, and though she'll never admit it to anyone, Minjeong found it so exhilarating that she was fearful for it to stop.

 

“You talk about Cheshire being creepy, but you're the one smiling to yourself," the Hatter looked back at her.”

 

“How about you just pay attention to where you're going? Or am I just too attractive that you must keep looking back?" she teased, mimicking Hatter’s words when they first met.

 

“Maybe," Hatter grinned at her.

 

“Well, that's too bad," she faked-sighed. "Because you're not my type."

 

“Oh, I think I'm your type."

 

“Yeah, not so much."

 

“Come on? Good girl meets bad girl. Good girl can't stand bad girl. Good girl eventually can't fight off the and ends up giving it up to the bad girl. I've seen this a thousand times. I mean, I've lived it a thousand times. So why don't we just cut through our bantering already and head straight to the fun part?”

 

Minjeong was in between slapping her and scoffing. "I'm amazed by how you actually exist." Just as she was about to add more, something caught Minjeong’s eyes, and opened slightly in astonishment.

 

“What? See something you like?" Hatter extended her arms up and raised an eyebrow, but Minjeong was looking past her.

 

“I see... oh my God! But that can't be possible!"

 

“Oh, but it is," Hatter smirked. "Need further proof?"

 

But she pushed past her, accidentally knocking Squirrel off her shoulder. Fortunately, Hatter caught her at the last minute, but both the Cheshire Cat and March Hare noticed Minjeong’s wandering as they rejoined the rest of the group. Minjeong didn't respond as they called curiously after her, and as she moved a few tree branches away from her view, her feet sank into something squishy. She glanced down and understood immediately – sand. Pushing through further, she tiptoed past a final row of bushes, and she gasped as her eyes landed on their destination.

 

It was a brilliant seashore, holding true to everything a seashore should own – wet sand, colorful seashells, and lazy trees. A small shack could be seen in the distance, being held up by some simple wooden panels. It was a very picturesque view, though so was any other seashore.

 

But there was one very important detail that set this one apart from all others: a distinct line ran down the middle of the scene to distinguish where day and night met.

 

The seashore had literally been torn into two. One half had an abundant amount of sunshine and clouds parading the sky, setting off a bright and airy aroma. The other half was dark and mysterious, with a delicate moon and silver stars shining from above. They stood, day and night, completely parallel to each other with no wavering line or disconnection. It was almost like it was normal, to have the sun and moon live so close to the other, and there was such a sense of tranquility that Minjeong could not help but smile.

 

“Minjeong, where did you – oh!" The March Hare stopped herself. "She found the seashore!”

 

“No way!" The Hatter exclaimed, and Squirrel mirrored her confused look. "But we had to stay north for another mile!"

 

“Apparently not," March Hare shrugged.

 

Squirrel looked somewhat disturbed. "But... that's not right. We weren't supposed to turn at this passage. I don't understand. I've always been good with directions..."

 

“And you are!" Cheshire Cat suddenly spoke up, beaming strongly at Squirrel. "I'm sure your sense of direction is still valid. Maybe you were just off this one time? I highly doubt you've lost your skill entirely. Perhaps Minjeong just knows more about Kwangya than we give her credit for?" She winked at them mysteriously before turning her back and heading to join Minjeong. The other three exchanged looks before shrugging and following her as well, the Hatter a bit more reluctant than the rest.

 

“I don't understand!" Minjeong practically shouted as the rest joined her. "This is scientifically impossible! There is no way that the sun and moon can coexist right next to each in the sky when they orbit - "

 

“But it's lovely, isn't it?" Cheshire cut her off with a smile.

 

“That means our gravity is screwed up and - "

 

“It's just so nice to look at though! So pretty!”

 

“Are you listening to me?" Minjeong snapped.

 

“Minjeong, everything seems to be in order, so why are you worrying? For centuries, this was where the sun and the moon met. The sky has yet to fall, so just enjoy the view and allow to be immersed! As long as you believe it's possible, it shall be so.”

 

No doubt, Minjeong found the sight absolutely breathtaking. But with something so unnatural, she couldn't help but react instinctively and be nervous. Still, what has happened to her that wasn't unusual anyways? She should have been used to it by now, and by the looks of her companions, they were certainly accustomed to the oddities of this place.

 

Perhaps it was time for her to start getting used to it too.

 

With her realization came a sudden burst of eagerness as she s past the group and headed straight towards the division of day and night. As she drew in closer, her pace slowed down and she approached it with a little more apprehension. Taking one final step, Minjeong gasped loudly as half her body was enveloped in darkness, the other in sunlight. She threw her head back and giggled a bit, and to her surprise, it was the first time she felt any hint of weather in Kwangya. Half her face basked in the warmth of the sun while the other half relaxed under the cool moon. It was a strange yet invigorating feeling, and this made her squeal and giggle even more.

 

“I think she's gone cuckoo banana crackers," March Hare whispered to everyone, but Hatter was already on the move, Squirrel and Cheshire Cat close on her heels. March Hare quickly called to Minjeong before catching up with the rest of the group, and after a moment, Minjeong sighed and joined them, the distant feeling of both sun and moon still lingering on her face.

 

“So where are we going, exactly?" she demanded once she had reached them.

 

“Straight ahead," Hatter motioned. She was pointing to the small shack Minjeong had seen earlier. "It's where Dearie and the Bear live.”

 

“Well, this should be interesting." Minjeong was expecting a person with a huge wild bear for a pet so she wasn't sure how anxious she was to meet them. But then again, everything in Kwangya had already surpassed any expectations, so she decided not to be so quick to judge. She could hardly bear it, but perhaps C

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter