The Empress’s Palace

Winter in the Wilderness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Updating because it’s Karina’s birthday! 😜 HAPPY BIRTHDAY KARINAAAA!!!🥳💙🎂


There was sunlight.

 

An irritating amount of sunlight.

 

Minjeong squinted, her body aching against the depths of the comforters. She reached out for one and tossed it over her head, the scent of lavender stifling her nose. With the sunlight blocked out, she sighed heavily against her pillow. Goodness, she was tired. She never remembered feeling so tired! She hoped their manager had prepared a splendid breakfast for them because the way she was feeling right now, she wanted nothing more than to divulge herself in some buttery pancakes and work it off later during training. That is, unless Jimin ate all of it already. No, Minjeong sighed. Their manager would surely have saved her some. She debated whether orange juice or hot cocoa or tea would go better with the pancakes but – wait! Tea. Tea... Minjeong suddenly moved her right leg and was met with sharp pain. She gasped slightly, lifted her head from her pillow, and glanced nervously around her surroundings.

 

She was in a large room with the whitest walls she had ever seen. They looked like they shined due to the amount of sunlight entering the room from the traditional windows framed with an ornate floral pattern. A soft mattress covered with red sheets served as her bed. The floors were made of a dark wood and it was polished so well Minjeong could see her reflection on it. A large chest made of lacquered wood stood at the side of the room, farthest from the windows.

 

Carefully removing her blanket, Minjeong gingerly released her right leg from underneath and very gently placed it on the floor. Her left leg followed with much more ease, and she slowly pushed herself off from the mattress. With a deep sigh, she took her first step forward and wasn't too surprised when she stumbled, reaching out for the wall to steady herself. Taking another deep breath, she tried again, taking small steps around the room. Her left hand rested against the white, papered walls, and after several minutes of this, she released her grip and began walking by herself. No doubt, it came with unbelievable amounts of pain, but she wasn't quite keen on the idea of using a walker for the rest of their journey.

 

Feeling somewhat refreshed, she moved back towards the mattress and sat back down, taking a break from her personal physical therapy. As she closed her eyes, it wasn't long before she heard the familiar scurrying of Squirrel running across the floor. Opening her eyes, Minjeong looked back down in search of her friend, meeting her almost instantly next to her feet.

 

“You're awake!" Squirrel cried happily.

 

“Yeah," Minjeong nodded and toyed with the loose, blue night dress she was wearing. It was definitely not hers, but it felt nice to be wearing some fresh clothes. "Are we at the Empress’s Palace?"

 

Squirrel nodded. "We arrived last night, but you were already asleep! The Hatter was going to wake you up, but the March Hare told her to let you sleep. And when the Empress heard what happened to you with the rabbit hole and your leg, she prepared a room for you and told me to keep an eye out." Squirrel smiled. "How are you feeling?”

 

“Better. I can walk on my leg now.”

 

“I'm so glad to hear that." Squirrel’s smile grew. "The Empress said that you should wash up after you wake and then join her for breakfast. She had a bath prepared, and your dress cleaned."

 

Minjeong nodded and followed Squirrel out of the room, although at a much slower pace, and headed down the hallway and out to the bath house. The decor was much similar to that of the bedroom although it was several times larger. Several paintings lined the walls and Minjeong admired the detail greatly. There was a large shallow pool in the middle with water so clear Minjeong could tell that the bottom was made of light green tiles. A pleasant smile sparkled on her lips. The water looked so warm and inviting. 

 

She had taken a much longer bath than she intended, but the warm water against her skin just felt so riveting, and she knew that the others would not mind a more extended rest. The Empress also had left a silver tray of medicinal herbs and bandages to wrap her leg, and after all that lavish care, she felt undoubtedly better.

 

Taking her time walking across an elaborate hallway, Minjeong scrunched up her blonde hair, tying it up with a black ribbon she had found in the wash room. She wandered through various hallways of the manor, purposely getting lost from time to time. She thought it better to exercise her leg, particularly since their journey had only started. How embarrassing was it that she already got injured on their first fight? She was too weak to even walk that the Hatter had to carry her! Who knew how long it took to get to the Palace? For all Minjeong knew, it might have taken all night. She felt a stab of guilt in her chest, and even if she was not too fond of the Hatter, she was still awfully sorry she had to take care of her like that in such a state.

 

“So, I give you a room to sleep in, clothes to wear, and a bath to clean yourself, and you repay me by walking by without even saying hello or thank you?"

 

Minjeong spun around, the weight change in her injured leg causing her to squeal a bit. She had been wandering around what she thought was the foyer, but as she scanned the elegant oak table and the dozen of maroon cushions, it was clear now she had stumbled upon the dining room. More paintings lined the walls, along with several large windows and a fantastic chandelier glittering above their heads.

 

Seated right at the head of the table was a fabulously dressed woman, decked in a hanbok of purple and black and large jewelry. Her hair was done into a low bun embellished with a beautiful flower pin. She looked only a little older than Minjeong. Her olive skin glimmered against the reflection of the sunlight and the chandelier, and her dark brown eyes were quietly sizing her up. 

 

Minjeong herself suddenly felt very aware of her presence, and she wasn't sure whether she should do something with her hands or her legs. However, the Empress’s stare was becoming so intense that she bent into an impromptu curtsy, and it caused the Empress to raise her brows curiously. 

Yuri-sunbaenim?

 

“I'm sorry, your... grace. I didn't know that this was the dining room. I was actually looking for you, I was just... wandering around a bit. You have a lovely home." The Empress remained quiet, still watching Minjeong carefully. "The room was beautiful. Did you scent the bathroom? I thought I smelled chamomile. Did you set the herbs out for me too? I think they've numbed the pain a bit. Thank you so much. I suppose I should have started with that? I really am grateful, Empress. Please don't be offended!”

 

Empress heaved a great sigh and slowly motioned for Minjeong to sit down. She obliged politely, taking the chair right across from her. "Your companions have told me about your adventure. You want to stop the Queen of Hurt?"

 

“I don't want to," Minjeong breathed. "I need to.”

 

The Empress leaned back in her chair. "You're a very small girl."

 

Minjeong looked a bit surprise. "I am?"

 

“And you're very blonde."

 

“Er – yes." It already felt like a decade ago when she was contemplating going blonde.

 

“Tell me, Minjeong. Where do you come from?"

 

“Even if I told you, your grace, I don't think you'd believe me. I'm starting to doubt if that world really exists myself," she replied a little sadly. "But I still need to try and go home, and I can't do that without defeating the Queen."

 

“I see," the Empress examined. "You've got quite the determination.”

 

“I don't like to give up."

 

“Good... because neither do I." And the two began to engage what would be a tremendously long conversation.

 


Minjeong and the Empress spent the rest of the morning together, huddled in the middle of the dining hall. While their first impressions of each other were a bit awkward and judgmental, after several hours of conversing, both soon fell into rhythm and became more comfortable with the other. Their seriousness had gradually faded away, and light laughter was added here and there. Minjeong herself was even surprised by how much she was coming to like the Empress. She had an abundantly strong personality, the kind Minjeong wasn't used to, but she found it somewhat respectable and began to admire even her most diva-ish outbursts.

 

They spoke about everything, from Minjeong’s adventures to the Empress’s home to even their fashion sense. Most importantly, they spoke of Ms. Dodo's plan and the reclamation of Kwangya. The Empress listened carefully as Minjeong explained the proposition in further detail, and while she seemed a little on edge about the whole thing, both still agreed it was better than nothing.

 

Lunchtime rolled around, and the Empress sent some of her servants to fetch the rest of Minjeong’s group. However, the maid came back with only Squirrel, insisting that both the March Hare and the Hatter were too busy practicing their battle techniques and requested if they could join everyone for dinner later instead. The Empress seemed only slightly offended, but the prospect of having lunch with Minjeong and Squirrel helped lighten her mood.

 

So the three continued to talk in easy conversation, munching on cucumber salad, rice and dumplings and sipping beef soup and sikhye. When lunch ended, Squirrel had asked permission to leave and rejoin the boys, and when the Empress granted it, she scurried across the floor and disappeared through a small hole.

 

“How's your leg feeling?" The Empress inquired once Squirrel had left.

 

“Much better since the herbal bath."

 

“Do you think you can walk on it?"

 

“Yeah," Minjeong nodded. "I think so."

 

“Then let's take a tour around the manor.”

 

And the two were off, wandering around the palace with the kind of tranquility Minjeong only felt during holidays. The bright walls and spotless floors sparkled in the peeking sunlight, hypnotizing her with supreme delight. It reminded her of the palaces she studied about in history class back in school.

 

Except now it felt like a century ago.

 

The Empress noticed her change in face. "What's on your mind, Minjeong?"

 

Minjeong glanced at her, realizing this place was made for someone like the Empress. With her rich skin and pearly eyes and regal demeanor as she carried that natural air of royalty against the palace’s backdrop. "Have you always lived here?" she inquired, innocently changing the topic.

 

“Mostly. This manor has been in my family since it was built.”

 

“And so it shall be for all of eternity, I'm guessing."

 

The Empress gave a hint of a smile. "And more."

 

“I wasn't aware Kwangya had empresses," Minjeomg thought out loud. "I’ve only been told of the queens."

 

“I am the only Empress in Kwangya, and I intend for it to remain that way," she declared fiercely. "There were times, however, when I used to live in the White Queen's palace growing up. Our families were very close, and she was like an older

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter