cold-shoulders

oblivious [a jinjoo oneshot]

"mom.. mother.." hyunseo trailed off, sipping on her strawberry milkshake as she glanced at her two mothers who immediately stopped what they were doing just to put their attention on her.
 

"yes, baby? do you need anything?" minju asked, kind of nervous because her daughter literally dragged her and her wife at her favorite restaurant because she wants go tell them about 'something'.
 

now what could this 'something' be possibly about?
 

"i have a uhm.. a performance tomorrow at school. and i want you two to come!" the girl exclaimed excitedly, earning a relieved exhale from minju.
 

minju was thankful that it was not something bad— she needs to stop overthinking too much.
 

the corner of yujin's lips tugged upwards, revealing a very proud smile. "that's great, baby. of course we'll watch it. what will you be performing tomorrow?"
 

"i'll sing and dance, and i'll be performing with eunchae unnie, hyeinie, minji unnie, and sullyoon unnie." hyunseo happily told her parents, and the two women couldn't help but smile endearingly.
 

even if hyunseo already began high school, yujin and minju still spoiled their little girl very much. hyunseo didn't complain though, in fact, she loved being spoiled by her two mothers. 
 

"of course me and your mother will be there, hyunseo-yah." minju told her daughter.
 

"but mom, mother is so so so so so busy because of work, right? can she come tomorrow?" the girl pouted, looking at her mother who was wearing this awkward smile. minju followed her daughter's gaze and it landed on her wife.
 

there was an awkward silence and hyunseo was busy observing her two mothers.
 

of course, not wanting to make their daughter wait, slowly, minju lifted up her foot from the ground then tried to spot yujin's foot under the table by using the tip of her heels.
 

as soon as she found it, she stepped on it lightly, making yujin wince silently on her seat. minju shot her a glare and yujin helplessly looked at their daughter.
 

"o-of course i'm going to clear up my schedules for you, sweetie. me and your mom will watch you, promise."
 

yujin felt relieved as soon as the pressure on her foot was gone, quietly muttering a small 'ow' before turning back to her awkward smile.
 

hyunseo had her left eyebrow raised, finding their expressions weird but she shrugged it off and exclaimed a small and happy "yay!" before doing a little dance on her seat.
 

while yujin, oh she's drowning very deep in her thoughts.
 

she looked at her wife who was looking at their daughter with a smile, then suddenly glancing towards her direction which made her look away immediately, gulping.
 

she mentally sighed, sipping on her drink before lightly massaging her temples.
 

she and minju had this very small fight—well, she wouldn't call it a fight, it's something very complicated and yujin doesn't know what to do.
 

they are having this very bitter and silent treatment at the moment. yujin didn't know what caused their relationship to be like this but trust her, she tried everything, but it seemed like the brunette didn't want anything to do with her at all.
 

all of this is making her insane, plus the overthinking. yujin missed her wife so much but she can't do anything because her wife is acting like she doesn't exist at all! they only talk when minju needs to say something or when they're in front of their daughter.
 

but yujin was still glad that hyunseo isn't noticing anything strange or unusual about her and minju's relationship recently.
 

does she?
 

of course, the girl notices.
 

hyunseo found it weird. everytime she's with her two mothers, everything's awkward—unlike before. she knew so well that her parents loved each other very much, but she can't pinpoint what was going on either.
 

heck, that's why she dragged the both of them into having lunch today.
 

she wanted to observe. hyunseo didn't want everything to go on for too long so she's giving them like 2 weeks or so if they'll be back to normal again but if they don't, then she'll openly talk to them about it.
 

while minju, she's just waiting.
 

yujin had a new executive assistant in the office, and minju doesn't like that woman. yujin's already married and this executive assistant of hers clearly doesn't see it because she's been making moves on her wife, oh jesus! this situation is making her want to barge in yujin's office and bring a megaphone just to announce to everyone that yujin's already married to her.
 

it didn't help that yujin was always at work, minju's frustration was growing more and more each day.
 

she appreciated that yujin was still trying even if she's practically ignoring her but her frustrations got the best of her, and she also doesn't want yujin to know about her petty jealousy--
 

RING RING
 

the awkwardness was cut off by a ring coming from yujin's phone. the latter jumped on her seat because it was very sudden, but all of their eyes are glued to the caller id.
 

장 비서
(secretary jang)
 

minju rolled her eyes.
 

yujin accepted a call and the conversation just went on from 30 seconds before yujin dropped it, letting out another sigh.
 

another moment of quiet-ness had passed before yujin spoke.
 

"they need me back in the office," yujin said, hesitatingly standing up from her seat, because she saw hyunseo's slight pout which made her a bit guilty. nevertheless, she leaned towards her daughter first to leave a goodbye kiss on her forehead.
 

she patted the pouting hyunseo on the head then slowly started to lean towards minju. however, she stopped halfway as she saw minju shaking her head timidly. she didn't back down though, she just basically froze with a confused expression on her face.

 

"no. leave your work for today and go home early with us, you don't want to be late for seo's performance tomorrow, right?" minju glanced at their daughter, making yujin unintentionally glancing at her also and saw hyunseo agreeing with minju's words.
 

minju then looked at yujin again, still awkwardly standing in front of her and lifted up her hands to straighten out yujin's collar. "for now, inform your executive assistant or whatever her name is to adjust your schedules, and tell her that you'll be spending time with your daughter. and your wife."
 

minju said it with a venomous tone, added by a stern look. yujin gulped for the second time, nodding and went back to her seat, shakily grabbing her phone and texted her secretary.
 

minju can only smirk secretly as she was drinking her beverage.
 


 

minju was busy washing up to prepare for bed, humming some of her favorite songs as she was doing her night routine.
 

after she was done, she exited the bathroom and found yujin already sleeping on their bed. she felt kind of guilty after seeing yujin so tired. she was already stressed enough because of her work and this confusing silent treatment is just adding more to her stress.
 

minju just shook her head before walking over to their bed, tucking herself inside the covers and observed the sleeping yujin.
 

her ipad was still open, filled with files and such and she's still wearing her glasses. she must've fell asleep while doing something.
 

minju always found herself lucky, that she married this woman. and of course, yujin happily feels the same.
 

the older smiled to herself, carefully grabbing yujin's ipad to not wake her up, then turned it off and placing it on the night stand, also putting her phone on top of it before facing yujin again.
 

she gently removed her glasses and placed a sweet kiss on her cheek and at the corner of her lips. "goodnight, my love." she murmured, landing another kiss on her temple.
 

minju also placed yujin's glasses on the night stand before finally turning off the lamp, making herself comfortable by snuggling onto yujin, lifting the covers to feel extra cozy as they slept with their hearts feeling content.
 


 

yujin woke up alone. minju wasn't beside her making her a bit confused. it was a really rare occurrence for minju to wake up before her.
 

she groggily wore her glasses, blinking repeatedly to adjust her eyesight, then grabbed her phone from the bedside table just on top of her ipad, immediately seeing a message from minju.
 

와이프 (wife)
i went to school with hyunseo earlier in the morning. she needed help with her clothes and make up.

don't be late for later, okay?
 

yujin pursed her lips and was about to place her phone back down so she can get ready for the day.
 

but not until she remembered something.
 

wait.
 

the woman grabbed her phone again, opening minju's message then scrolled down a bit, feeling very panicky.
 

her eyes widened as soon as she saw the message she's been looking for.
 

i love you.
 

yujin sighed in relief. closing her eyes then put her phone on her chest, taking a deep breath.
 

oh well, at least that didn't go away.
 

she then turned off her phone, taking a deep breath before hopping off the bed.
 


 

meanwhile, at school, minju was already sitting on the gym bleachers. she reserved a seat for both her and yujin. she was already done fixing her daughter up and now she's waiting for her wife to come. there were a lot of people already and—
 

"oh, minju!"
 

minju turned her head to the voice, immediately seeing chaewon waving at her with another girl beside her.
 

"chaewon," minju greeted with a smile on her face. chaewon faced the girl she was with and whispered something. some moments later, the girl nodded and walked away.
 

chaewon then walked to minju's seat, sitting on the chair that minju reserved for yujin. she won't be long anyway. having a small chat with the brunette won't do any harm.
 

"heyy, how are you? also, don't worry i won't be sitting here for long, i just told yunjin to find us a spot then i'll follow her later."
 

minju nodded, making an 'ohh' expression. "is she your.." she didn't continue, shaking her head. "oh my god, i'm so sorry for asking questions like that i—"
 

chaewon went red before looking away, "oh, no no no, it's okay. we're just friends, you know. we're just going to watch eunchae because our parents couldn't come. they're out of town."
 

the brunette pursed her lips, still feeling apologetic. "right. still, i apologize."
 

chaewon giggled, "it's fine, really."
 

silence
 

"came to watch hyunseo, right? where's yujin?"
 

minju pursed her lips, "oh she'll follow later, hopefully." she mumbled the last part.
 

chaewon noticed that something was off. "are you two okay?" she asked. she's one of the witnesses of their love story anyway, so hearing them having a slight argument can seem off.
 

minju was about to reply but--
 

"chaewon, is that you?" both women looked at the edge of the aisle, seeing yujin shyly waving at them.
 

yujin looked around if there's any spot to sit, but it seems like there none so she scratched her nape awkwardly. making small steps as she was backing up.
 

"yujin!" chaewon waved back, quite joyful that she met two of her friends today.
 

but she realized something, "oh right," chaewon stood up then gestured yujin to sit on the chair beside minju.
 

both women expected for yujin to walk over to their spot and claim the seat, but yujin just shook her head with a slight forced smile before going down and exited the gym. this made minju feel very much bewildered.
 

minju stood up also, leaving some stuff on her chair and also yujin's so that no one can come and take their seats.
 

"i'll just follow her, chaewon. i'm very sorry for leaving like this, i hope we can still meet later after the program..?"
 

chaewon sensed that the couple needed their space so she nodded, "sure, sure, of course."
 

minju then left the scene, leaving chaewon scanning for her friend. "now where might yunjin be.." she muttered, looking at every angle of the gymnasium.
 

meanwhile, yujin just went to the bathroom. hopefully, she can just find a vacant seat where she can see her daughter later as soon as she exits the bathroom. she really didn't do that on purpose, she just felt like walking away from the scene.
 

a part of her confused because minju didn't even save her a seat and it would be rude to take the seat when chaewon gestured her to the chair.
 

she washed her hands then dried them off before hearing the door of the comfort room opening. she didn't really paid no mind to it because it could be anyone honestly but she sensed that this person is walking towards her direction.
 

she glanced at this woman and saw the person she least expected the most. her wife. minju was in front of the sink just beside her, also looking at the mirror.
 

"you didn't inform me that you'll be going here." minju first spoke, opening her purse and started to fix herself up.
 

yujin ignored what she said, opening another topic. "you left chaewon there?" she asked.
 

minju just hummed, not looking at her at all.
 

yujin took it as a sign to leave, minju won't be interested in speaking to her anyway. she fixed her leather jacket before walking towards the door.
 

she was about to open the door when suddenly, she felt a hand on her arm. "where are you going?"
 

yujin took a deep breath. "i'm going to find a seat." she replied.
 

"you don't want to sit beside me?" minju genuinely asked, kind of sad and downhearted that yujin didn't want to sit beside her.
 

now yujin was puzzled. minju didn't even save one for her, so why with the question? 
 

"it's not like you saved one for me, anyway. i'll.. i'll just meet you and seo later after her performance." she tried letting go but minju gripped harder.
 

soon enough, yujin felt hands snaking around her waist and she felt a weight on her shoulder.
 

there was a moment of silence before yujin felt minju going closer. "sit beside me. we'll talk later." minju whispered in her ear.
 

yujin didn't move an inch until the door suddenly opened, making minju let go and yujin let out a deep exhale.
 

the taller woman was kind of flustered with the sudden action from minju. it's been long since minju hugged her like that.
 

her thoughts were cut off by minju grabbing her hand and directing it to hold her waist. "if you let go, i'll never speak to you ever again."
 

minju held yujin's hand that was resting on her waist before leading them outside of the comfort room.
 

the brunette led them both to their seats, spotting chaewon with her friend halfway. she noticed the teasing look from her friend but she shrugged it off anyway.
 

if minju's given a chance to announce to everybody that she's married to this woman beside her? of course, she's going to take that chance.
 

as soon as they got to their seats, minju directed yujin's hand to her shoulder and held her wife's hand tightly.
 

hyunseo, on the other hand, was scanning the crowd from backstage. she took a little peek but it only made her more nervous about her performance.
 

though something caught her eye.
 

hyunseo squinted her eyes a bit so she can really make sure if what she's seeing is true and once she confirmed it, she let out the biggest smile.
 

'oh my god, did my parents finally make up?'
 

the girl returned to the rest of her team members, still having a wide smile on her face.
 

"someone seems a little too excited today," minji smiled at her, patting her head.
 

hyunseo felt embarrassed "i'm really just in a good mood, unnie." she said, awkwardly scratching her cheek.
 

oh can you blame her? she just saw her parents doing what she had missed the most. now she was very motivated to do her best.
 

eventually, they heard the host starting the program, introducing what each category had prepared. hyunseo's team was actually the high school category so they're in category B, meaning, they're the second one to perform. meanwhile, the rest of the categories were for the seniors.
 

after the elementary students (category A), the host started introducing the next category, hyunseo and the team members are being called already to standby.
 

as expected, hyunseo did her best. they performed shinee's song 'love like oxygen' minju and yujin were so proud of their daughter.
 

after the program, the couple, (still slightly awkward) met their daughter by the playground, they saw her on the swing still with her costume on.
 

they didn't really need to approach her because hyunseo already spotted them from afar. she got off the swing then ran towards them.
 

hyunseo engulfed her parents into a hug with yujin rubbing her head. "we're very proud of you, seo." the taller woman said, showing her signature dimpled smile.
 

"are you two okay now?" hyunseo suddenly asked, making both minju and yujin freeze.
 

"okay? what do you mean?" minju asked.
 

"you and mother."
 

silence
 

"of course we're okay, when were we not okay?" yujin asked, looking everywhere except for her daughter's eyes who was alternatively looking at her and minju.
 

"hmm.."
 

minju chuckled awkwardly while yujin was avoiding eye contact.
 

hyunseo shook her head, "i actually like seeing you both so cheesy rather than those awkward moments.. but anyway, i'll let it pass for now. but wait.. did you guys purposely match your clothes?"
 

with the ending question, the couple looked down to glance at their outfits. now they're both embarrassed.
 

"well, no.. a-are you hungry?" yujin asked out of the blue, anything to get out of this topic. "let's have dinner? my treat, of course."
 

yujin was still very reluctant when it comes to literally talking to minju because this whole situation is making her so lost. one second ago minju's acting all mad and now she's clingy? yujin knew her wife had some questionable moments, but this has a category of its own.
 

it was starting to get annoying, it kind of irked yujin that minju can act like nothing was going on after making her overthink about their relationship for 2 whole months.
 

yes, they had the silent treatment for 2 whole months and it was hell.
 

it might've been too obvious because now hyunseo knew that something was going on.
 

"yes! let's have dinner!" hyunseo exclaimed happily, earning a giggle from minju. "okay, sure let's—"
 

"yujin! minju!"
 

the family looked at the voice and saw chaewon with her friend, eunchae was also following them while she was using her phone.
 

"hey, chaewon." yujin greeted sheepishly, "sorry for walking out earlier." she added, scratching her cheek. minju noticed this habit and almost cooed, hyunseo also had that habit.
 

"it's fine, you don't need to worry about it." chaewon shrugged it off, looking at her friend beside her. "oh, right. yunjin, this is yujin and minju and this is yunjin, a close friend of mine." yunjin bowed respectfully, smiling at the married couple.
 

"matching clothes, i see." chaewon teased, glancing at hyunseo who went to eunchae. yujin coughed awkwardly, "this is not intentiona-"
 

"where are you three heading after this?" minju asked, cutting yujin off.
 

"well.." chaewon looked at yunjin, not knowing what to respond. the latter then moved closer and whispered something to chaewon, making her a bit flustered and it didn't go unnoticed to yujin and minju in front of her.
 

'these two certainly has something going on between them.'
 

"we're going to have dinner." chaewon robotically replied, minju then snickered lightly shaking her head.
 

"and we'll get going now, this person beside me is getting hungry. nice catching up with you both again, stay safe!" chaewon bid goodbye. the married couple nodded and waved. "stay safe also."
 

hyunseo also waved goodbye as soon as she heard. "bye bye, eunchae unnie."
 

as soon as those three were gone, yujin hesitantly let go from minju, ignoring the glare coming from the older woman. she then started to pat her pockets, searching for her wallet. "what do you want to eat, hyunseo-yah?" she asked.
 

hyunseo's eyes glowed, walking towards yujin and held her mother's hand, pulling her to their car. minju followed silently, passing yujin the car keys.
 

"jajangmyeon! now, let's gooo i'm so hungry as well." hyunseo also grabbed minju's hand, pulling her parents so they can already leave the school, making both women chuckle out loud. "alright, alright, seo. we'll get going."
 


 

the ahn family had a wonderful dinner. fortunately, hyunseo did most of the talking but the kid was quite disappointed since her parents were back to not speaking to each other again.
 

as soon as they finished, they went home, their destination was quite far since hyunseo wanted to dine at this certain restaurant, saying she liked the jajangmyeon there and who was yujin to decline her daughter's request?
 

hyunseo immediately fell asleep, her headphones were loud because yujin can clearly hear the music.
 

so she took it as a chance.
 

she subtly glanced at the passenger seat and saw minjoo using her phone. yujin then relaxed on her seat, taking a deep breath before speaking.
 

"what's the problem, minjoo?"
 

yujin saw from her peripheral vision that minjoo slightly flinched on her seat, but she still looked unbothered. she carefully looked at the backseat, trying to observe if their daughter was awake.
 

it took a few moments before minjoo replied. "what do you mean?"
 

yujin felt like laughing, oh now her wife's suddenly acting like nothing's happening?
 

"you know what i mean, joo." yujin tiredly replied, but still being alert of her surroundings, she was still driving the car and she's with her family.
 

"it's nothing. i'm just in a bad mood."
 

yujin blinked, scoffing. "in a bad mood? you basically ignored me for 2 months because you're in a bad mood?"
 

"don't put it like that, yujin."
 

"well how am i supposed to look at the situation then? that's what you're showing me."
 

minju didn't respond, not knowing what to say. yujin felt it and sighed, trying to calm herself down.
 

"did i do something wrong?"
 

minju's eyes widened at the question. she didn't expect that yujin would think that she'd done something wrong, that's the last thing she wanted to happen.
 

"n-no.. you didn't do anything."
 

"then what, joo? why are you ignoring me? i'm fine if i somehow did something wrong, but hyunseo also knows something, joo. i don't want her to think negatively of our relationship."
 

the older woman bit her lower lip, guilt eating her up, but her heart can't help but to act on that last sentence.
 

"it's making me confused, minju. you ignore me, then act all sweet, then ignore me again. then you proceed to not tell me what's on your mind." yujin exhaled, lowering her arm, resting it on the center console.
 

countless of negative thoughts started to enter her head. "tell me. are you getting tired of me—"
 

minju panicked and cut her off quickly. "ohmygod yujin— stop, please don't say that."
 

yujin pursed her lips, gripping on the steering wheel with her left hand.
 

"then tell me. i don't think i can handle you ignoring me anymore longer. it's starting to make me feel insane.."
 

yujin noticed that minju still wasn't answering. she was about to speak again but minju beat her to it.
 

"your assistant."
 

now yujin was confused. she felt minju grabbing her hand then held it very dearly. the taller woman was waiting for minju to continue.
 

"i don't like her."
 

yujin was amused, collecting her thoughts because she doesn't know what was going on. "..what do you mean?" she asked, visibly confused.
 

"the day you introduced her to me when you prepared an event for your employees, she didn't even try to hide it."
 

now yujin was two times as confused as before. "hide what?" she genuinely asked, now minju was the one who scoffed.
 

"that she's interested in you." minju let go of her hand then crossed her arms, pouting then faced the opposite direction. her face flushing.
 

yujin kept mum, now the atmosphere became slightly light. all this time, her wife was silently holding a grudge against her new secretary? because the woman was interested in her?
 

"i..didn't know." yujin mumbled, minju heard it but still kept the pout on her face. the taller woman had a series of mini flashbacks of her and wonyoung's interactions in the office, now noticing that wonyoung was indeed making advances to woo her.
 

yujin pressed her lips together, thinking of what to say. "i'm sorry, love, but you didn't have to be mad. heck, i didn't even know it myself. i was basically clueless. please don't be mad at me anymore. promise, i will not entertain any of her advances."
 

minju mentally smirked, her pout turning to a mischievous grin. "good."
 

now the shy minju is gone, the older woman grabbed her hand again, caressing it sensually. "now, i've missed you so much. will you make it up to me later when we get home?" she asked suggestively, ignoring the flushing of her cheeks.
 

yujin knew what that action and that voice meant. she gulped, gritting her teeth. wordlessly, she stomped on that gas pedal, earning a sensuous giggle from her wife.
 


 

yujin massaged her temples, her head aching because she didn't get that much sleep last night. her whole body is now two times sore because she had been organizing files since early in the morning.
 

"oh, ahn minju, you're making me insane.." she muttered to herself.
 

"is everything alright mrs. ahn?" yujin flinched at the voice. she looked at the woman and saw wonyoung, her secretary looking at her with worried eyes.
 

"y-yeah, everything's okay. i'm okay, just feeling a bit sore today." she replied, smiling tiredly.
 

"i can give you a massage—"
 

"oh, no, no, it's okay. i'm fine, i can manage." she immediately declined, remembering her wife's words last night.
 

wonyoung then spotted something unusual. "are you sure? and what happened to your neck?"
 

yujin widened her eyes, quickly covering it with her palm, laughing awkwardly. "oh this? this is nothing! i bumped my neck on my drawer earlier, everything's fine, just a bruise. it will go away in a few days." she said with an unpleasant smile.
 

"o..kay? i really hope you're fine—"
 

WOOSH
 

suddenly, the office door just opened, alerting both yujin and wonyoung.
 

once yujin recognized who it was, her whole being immediately melted. just by the sight of her wife, she can peacefully melt away.
 

"hi baby," minju greeted lovingly.
 

yujin looked like a delighted puppy, seeing their owner come home after work.
 

"i bought you some food~" minju quickly went towards yujin, planting a sweet kiss on her cheek, and yujin felt all her body pain just vanish just by that.
 

wonyoung lightly scoffed at her place.
 

"sorry, wonyoung, can you leave us two for a moment? also close the doors for me, thank you very much." yujin said.
 

wonyoung exhaled sadly, walking out of the office, wordlessly closing the doors just like what yujin had said to her.
 

minju was proud.
 

"that makes me feel so much better." the older woman said, cupping her wife's cheeks, cooing at the adorable sight.
 

maybe telling yujin what's on her mind isn't so bad after all.