Always

Will You Be My Valentine... again?
Please log in to read the full chapter

It’s been about three months since Victoria was back in South Korea for work and she wasn’t so sure how she felt about that. She’s spent the majority of her teenage years in South Korea. It’s where she has met all the important people in her life such as: her best friends, colleagues, connections that have helped her run her company, and of course… her first love. 

 

There was a bittersweet taste to this place she once called home. Yet everything changed when a year ago she had to make a big sacrifice. Anyone could see that Victoria did everything with passion and she was very stubborn too. When she got the call to promote her model agency in China, there was no way she could decline on such an opportunity. She’s dreamt about expanding her company outside of South Korea ever since she graduated college, but she didn’t know the amount of sacrifice she really had to make. The emotional sacrifice. The sacrifice of either losing her dreams or lover. 

 

Victoria met Luna during her sophomore year in college when she was bullied into taking a choir free elective class by her friends. People have always complimented her voice and even tried to persuade her to pursue singing instead of fashion. She enjoyed singing, but she couldn’t really see herself doing it as a career. It was a fun hobby. Nothing more. 

 

If she could go back in time and take another elective, would she? Absolutely… not! The moment she stepped into the classroom, it felt like time had stopped. The spotlight was directly on Luna and the rest of the world had tuned out. She didn’t care what the professor was saying, but for a moment, Victoria put her dreams aside and made it a mission to get to know this mysterious woman. Luna was an angel. She always wore a smile on her face and never failed to leave anyone out. She greeted everyone, every single day. Not only was her personality amazing, but her voice was absolutely captivating. 

 

Fate was definitely on their side. They were assigned to sit next to each other for the rest of the semester and the rest was history. 

 

They spent their sophomore year just flirting back and forth, having a playful friendship. But everyone could see the sparks. Junior year, Victoria decided to become proactive in courting Luna. She saw the amount of admirers the other woman had, and it was a little intimidating. Senior year came around and before she could even confess her love, Luna beat her to it! Luna confessed that she has had a crush on her ever since she saw her in their choir class. She tried her best to ignore the feeling and act natural around Victoria, but it was challenging! Victoria always carried herself with poise. There were many rumors about her on campus, none that Victoria knew about. 

 

That’s where their love story started and they went on strong for many years. Their friends were always so envious of their healthy and communicative relationship. 

 

Luna became a trainee for a very famous entertainment company and Victoria had formed her model agency in Korea. Their schedules were pretty hectic, but they always made sure to put some time aside for each other. Maybe it was the fact that they were both so busy pursuing their dreams, that having a busy schedule was never an issue for either one of them. They were very understanding in that aspect.

 

But good things never last, well not without an obstacle. 

 

Victoria’s family was still in China and with their connections, her parents were able to find a business partner to help her expand her company into China. It was a big opportunity for her and if she wanted to succeed, she would have to move to China to make sure everything went smoothly. When she excitedly told Luna the news, she failed to notice the spotlight dim away from the other girl. 

 

The first month into their relationship, after she moved to China, was challenging. On weekends she would book a trip to Korea and it wasn’t always smooth. But they made it work.

 

The second month into their long distance relationship, they still faced some problems but Victoria was stubborn enough to make something work. Luna tried her best to be optimistic, but deep down she couldn’t escape the negative haunting thoughts.

 

The third month into their relationship, they didn’t really meet up much because Luna was ready to debut and Victoria ran into some issues at the company. 

 

And though four is an unlucky number, Victoria prayed that it would be lucky for them. But it wasn’t. During their fourth month together in their long distance relationship, they “mutually” decided to break up. Luna was in China for a variety show, so they decided to meet up for dinner. Victoria never planned on breaking up with her, but she knew something was going on. She had hoped it was something else. Anything else, but this! But deep down, she knew it would be for the best.

 

They had one last dinner date before Luna had to go back to South Korea. They talked about their day, gossip at work, and even reminisced of their old college days. They tried so hard to pause time. To just spend one more hour together, but it was getting late and they knew they had to face it sooner or later. 

 

But Victoria was stubborn.

 

Victoria offered to take Luna back to her hotel, and Luna knew the older woman wouldn’t take no for an answer. She didn’t let her come back up to her room, both of them knew where it would lead, but she let her drop her off at the hotel’s entrance. Victoria pulled her into a bone crushing hug, being afraid to let her go. Only two things mattered to her: her company and Luna. She never imagined she would lose either of them. 

 

“You know we can’t stay out here all night,” Luna whispered.

 

“I know.”

 

“We both have to get up early tomorrow.”

 

“I know.” Victoria slowly pulled out from their hug and cupped Luna’s face, “I love you.”

 

“Goodbye Victoria,” Luna gently placed a kiss on her lips and walked away before Victoria could manage to change her mind. 

 

That was the last time they met. And the last time they talked to each other. But they always made sure to secretly keep tabs on each other, especially if they were in any major headlines. 

 

 

After a few years, Victoria was finally established in China. She’s been to South Korea a few times, but never long enough to run into Luna. Unfortunately. But she always hoped they would run into each other. A day hasn’t passed by where she hasn’t thought about her first love and she’s been tempted many times to give her a call or message, but she knew it wasn’t right. Or maybe she was too scared of rejection, of being left behind and forgotten. 

 

But fate works in mysterious ways, because she never imagined she would be moving back to South Korea. 

 

She was visiting the country to attend her best friend's wedding and planned to head back home as soon as possible, but she ran into one of her classmates at the wedding. They wanted to set up an interview to hear about her plans with her South Korea branch. Somehow her friends convinced her to move back and focus on rebuilding her brand. 

 

It’s been a month or two since she officially moved back. Everything felt so strange. Despite her growing up here, she felt so out of place. Was she gone for that long? Before she could get lost in her thoughts again, she heard a loud knock coming from her front door. 

 

Knock Knock. “Coming..” Knock Knock. “I’M COMING!” Victoria rushed and swung open the door and before she could go off on the impatient person, she was attacked by a group hug.

 

“Wow, impatient as ever, huh Qian?” 

 

“I said I was coming!”

 

“We couldn’t hear you. At least we know your door is sound proof?” Her friends quickly pushed past her and allowed themselves in. 

 

“Come in?”

 

“Why thank you!” They giggled at the frustrated woman and placed the plastic bags onto the kitchen counter, “we brought brunch! Figured you needed some energy… and girl time!”

 

“Thank you! I’ve been starving! What took you guys so long?”

 

“Krystal couldn’t stop flirting with the girl working at the counter! We had to drag her out of there!”

 

“Excuse me, I wasn’t flirting with her! I just wanted to know where she got her dress from!” Everyone gave Krystal a knowing look. “Enough about me, we’re here for Vic!”

 

“Me?” Victoria looked over, confusion written all over face as her face was stuffed with bread. “We already had my welcoming party and you guys know I have been busy revamping the company. Gosh, everything’s been such a mess here. I even had to fire the manager!” 

 

“We’re not here to talk about your work life,” Xiaochen put some emphasis on the word ‘work’, “we’re here to talk about your love life!” 

 

Victoria rolled her eyes, grabbing the rest of her sandwich and walking away from the group, “not this again. I’m too busy to even focus on anything, or anyone, else.”

 

“Oh come on, you’re not getting any older and we know how lonely you’ve been since you broke up with... What’s her name again?” Xiaochen said as she followed after Victoria. 

 

“Luna!” Krystal shouted from the kitchen. 

 

“Yes, her! You can’t tell me that you’re still in love with her,” Xiaochen squinted her eyes and leaned towards the other Chinese woman.  

 

“What-”

 

“It doesn’t matter,” she quickly interrupted Victoria and took a seat next to her, “Valentine's day is coming and we can’t have you be all alone… again! So we are setting you up on a blind date and we are here to help you get ready!” 

 

Victoria broke out into a coughing fit, rushing to grab some water from the fridge. She took a huge gulp and glared at her friends. It was way too soon for Victoria to jump back into the dating scene. Or was it? She doesn’t remember the last time she really tried to go on a date with someone, let alone think about someone else romantically. Sure she’s worked with many beautiful models and designers, even flirted every now and then, but it was just for business. She needed to make connections and friends. And she really hasn’t gotten over Luna. She hasn’t had the time to move on and heal. She’s buried herself in work. If she wasn’t working, she was sleeping or branching out other opportunities. She wanted to be successful, make her dreams into reality. Because she knew how awful she would feel if she were to meet Luna again and still be the Victoria from their college days - a girl with only dreams. 

 

Victoria got lost in her thoughts. What if Luna had met someone else? Was she single? Married? Did she think about her? The other woman was undeniably talented and beautiful. There isn’t a person in the world who could hate her, not when her heart is so pure. Sure Victoria has read some articles about rumored boyfriends, but she’s had her fair share of false news as well. You can’t, well shouldn’t, believe everything you read. 

 

She sighed as made her way back towards the living room, taking a seat next to her friend, “I guess one date wouldn’t hurt.” Maybe it’ll get you guys off my back for a few months, Victoria thought. 

 

“That’s the spirit!” Krystal joined Victoria and Xiaochen on the couch, pulling out her phone. “Here are some candidates!”

 

“I thought you guys already set everything up!” 

 

“Not exactly… not yet! We have a few girls in mind. We just have to contact them, but we have the restaurant and everything else booked!” Xiaochen reassured the stressed Victoria. 

 

“Valentine’s day is right around the corner and you’re telling me that you haven’t even contacted the girl you want to set me up with? It’s like you want me to be alone!” Victoria wanted to be shocked at her friends, but she also knew them very well. They meant well, but they weren’t always the best planners. She was the brain of the operations after all.

 

“Oh hush, here’s contestant number one!” Krystal pushed her

Please log in to read the full chapter