prologue

the demon ate my glass.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The ultimate satisfaction derived from having one’s financial independence is the ability to acquire a home to settle into—a tranquil abode, free from the presence of others, particularly those irksome family members.

 

After a decade of dedicated service in the same ty company, Seulgi, at the age of 30, finally saw her dream materialize as she successfully purchased her own house.

 

Stepping into her new home, there was an indescribable sense of joy and contentment. The carefully chosen furniture seamlessly occupied their designated spaces, and every essential item Seulgi needed was thoughtfully arranged.

 

In those initial moments, she desired nothing more than her own time—to bask in the reality of her achievement and reassure herself that it was not a dream. The experience, though surreal, demanded a moment of self-renewal.

 

Regrettably, the tranquility she longed for didn’t persist as a resounding thud from the balcony abruptly disrupted her peace. Springing from the couch, Seulgi’s widened eyes scanned her surroundings, her hand instinctively reaching for her chest, a mix of curiosity and concern etched on her face.

 

“What the hell…” Seulgi attempted to calm her racing heart as she checked the time on her phone resting on the coffee table—it was 11 pm.

 

While Seulgi had a vague idea of where the sound originated, she was uncertain about its nature. Despite her initial hesitation, curiosity eventually triumphed over fear. Wanting to ensure her safety, she grabbed a baseball bat gifted by her father and cautiously approached the balcony.

 

Taking a deep breath, Seulgi slowly slid the curtains open. To her astonishment, an unfamiliar girl lay with long, dark hair, curled up in a fetal position on the floor. Startled, she dropped the baseball bat and swiftly opened the glass door before kneeling down beside the girl.

 

“Hey! Are you alright?” Seulgi frowned, grabbing the girl’s arm and shaking her in an attempt to wake her up. “Hey!” She tried again, but the girl remained unresponsive.

 

Seulgi stood up with the intention of calling for an ambulance, but she was abruptly pulled back down by the unknown girl, who had a tight grip on her wrist.

 

The mysterious girl slowly opened her eyes, her voice barely audible as she muttered, “Water... I need water.” Her request hung in the air, and though Seulgi felt a tinge of suspicion, she couldn’t bear the thought of her new home becoming the backdrop for an unforeseen tragedy.

 

“Let’s go inside first. It’s cold out here,” Seulgi gently lifted the girl, surprised by how light she was, almost as if she were weightless. Carrying her in a bridal style, Seulgi settled her on the living room couch.

 

Wasting no time, Seulgi hurried to the kitchen, filled a glass with water, and returned to the girl, who had managed to sit up. Assisting her, Seulgi held the glass to her lips.

 

The girl eagerly drank the entire glass in one go, letting out a satisfied sigh. Her gaze lingered on the now-empty glass; her expression reminiscent of a child captivated by a simple object.

 

“Why is this thing tasteless?” the mysterious girl questioned.

 

“Huh?” Seulgi blinked, momentarily puzzled, and absentmindedly scratched the sid

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter