DON’T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT

 

“Eunmi! Do you have your ticket already?” my best friend asked.

“No,” I answered her with a sad smile painted on my face. I really want one of those ticket but unluckily the money I saved was gone because I got sick and was hospitalized and I do not want my mom to worry about the bills, it’s not that we are poor but I insisted that my mom will use my savings to pay my hospital bills because I want to help them. My dad also sent me money to replace my savings and said that I could go and buy myself a ticket to the concert but I really do not want to use their money for things like that.

“Oh…are you not going to watch SHINee’s concert? We have been waiting for this for a long time,” she was slightly sad for me because she knows I really want to watch that concert.

“I used up my savings, remember?”

“But you said your father sent you money.”

“I do not want to use that; it will just feel like I did not make an effort in getting those tickets. And you also know I do not like using my parents’ money to buy things like that.”

“I understand,” she replied and just showed me her ticket with a big smile on her face, so not to worry my best friend I faked a smile.

 

-RING-

“Hello,” I answered my phone.

“Jagiya? This is Taemin,” the person on the other line answered back. Lee Taemin, my boyfriend, we have been a couple for two years already and no one except his hyungs and our parents knows that we are dating. I met him when I was studying in an art school in Korea and he just debuted with his group mates during that time. We parted when we graduated in junior high because my dad wants me to go back to America and study for college there. We keep in touch with each other by phone calls that would last for hours and e-mails.

“Oh…hello Taemin-ah!” I greeted excitedly knowing that it was him calling.

“I have good news for you,” he said in a happy tone.

“What is it? Tell me quickly!”

“Yah! Shouldn’t you ask how I am doing first?” he pouted.

“Hahaha…just tell me your news,” I insisted ignoring what he said.

“Okay then, but you need to promise me you will attend this, arasso?” he said in a serious tone.

“Okay,” I replied with a smile.

“We will have a concert there in America!” he exclaimed.

“Really?! Oh…I should start saving my allowance now,” I told him and assured him that I will surely attend their concert. After that we talked a lot about what happened to our lives after our last conversation and before hanging up he said…

“I miss you Eunmi. Saranghae,”

“I miss you too Taemin. Saranghae.” I said and he said his goodbye.

 

I remembered my conversation with Taemin. How happy he was when he said his news to me and how I promised that I would be there in their concert. I feel down and I think I betrayed him that I cannot go to their concert now. I didn’t even tell him I was hospitalized, but if I tell him I was hospitalized he would be really worried. I’m such a bad person, not fulfilling my promise and to make it worse that person I promised to is my beloved boyfriend. I cannot help myself but let out a sigh.

“Jangmi-ah, I’ll be going now, I will just see you tomorrow.” I said to my best friend and left for our home.

 

When I arrived at home my mom noticed that I feel down, so when I was in my room sitting beside the window staring blankly at the scenery outside, she came and knocked at my door…

“Eunmi sweetheart, just go to the concert. Your dad gave you money to replace your savings that was intended for your tickets,” my mom said as she hugged me and brush my hair.

“But mom…I do not want to use that money for this.”

“I understand what you want but if this makes you sad, I cannot help myself but worry more about you.”

“It’s okay mom, it’s just a concert.” I faked a smile.

“If I cannot make you change your decision then okay, I just do not want you to see you down.” She patted my head and kissed my forehead and before she closed the door she told me…

“To help you make feel better, I prepared you Korean ramen. Come in the dining and eat them.”

 

I changed my clothes and went down to the dining and ate the ramen my mom prepared for me, after eating it with her I told her that I will be doing my homework in my room and I went up. I started doing my homework but my mind is too distracted that I cannot do my work properly so I just gave up and lied on my bed and stared at the ceiling for a long time and fell asleep.

 

When I woke up the next day, Jangmi was in our living room waiting for me.

“Good morning sleepyhead!” she greeted me as I sat down beside her on the sofa.

“Morning, why are you here? Shouldn’t you be preparing yourself for the concert? You should line up in the venue now I think the line would be so long,” I said as I shove cereals in my mouth.

“I was just checking if you really do not want to go.”

“I do not have tickets.”

“You are really not going and I cannot change that. I think I should go with the others this time, Eunmi-ah I think it’s not that happy when you’re not with me,” she pouted.

“Yah! Are you going or not? If you’re not then just give me your tickets,”

“No, I will. Then I’ll leave now,” she said as she stood and left.

 After she left I’m back to my sad self again. I can’t help but think on how Taemin would react if he knows I will not attend their concert. I decided to tell him but he is not picking up. My whole day went on like that I keep on dialing his number but he is really busy & he cannot pick up so the answering machine keep on answering my calls and just watching movies. An hour before the time of the concert I called him once again but still no answer, so I just went to bed because they are now performing.

 

My sleep was interrupted by my phone ringing and I thought ‘who calls in this hour of the night?’

As I look at the caller id of the caller I saw that it was Taemin so I quickly answered it.

“Jagiya?”

“Hello,” he answered back.

“How are you doing?” I asked like nothing happened.

“You should be saying something to me rather than that.” He said in a serious tone.

“Oh…I’m sorry Taemin. I’m really sorry.”

He didn’t say anything. Thoughts came rushing to me. What if he wants to break up with me? I cannot live without him my heart would burst. I thought of this possibility and tears suddenly came rolling down my cheeks. Then suddenly words I didn’t mean came rushing out of my mouth…

“I’m so sorry Taemin. I’m such a horrible person and a bad girlfriend. It is okay even though it will be hard for me, I would be happy for you. I didn’t think we would end up like this but its okay as long as it makes you happy. I’m sorry, goodbye…saranghae Taemin.” Then I hang-up. Suddenly the door of my room burst open and there in the door is a panting Taemin. I was surprised; Taemin was here in our house, in my room.

“Taemin…” all I can say was his name.

“Eunmi…” he said my name.

“Why are you here?” I asked him.

“Yah! Jagiya do not ever mention or even think of breaking up with me, arasso?” I was surprised on what he said and I was speechless, I was wrong. He look me straight in the eyes not breaking it and our heads came nearer to each other, we can smell each other’s breath then we kissed. As I open my eyes tears started to roll down my cheeks again.

“I am so sorry Taemin. I should have not thought about saying those things to you and I didn’t mean it,” I sobbed in his arms. Taemin broke the embrace and he wiped my tears.

 

“I love you yeobo,” he said as he look at me.

“I love you too Taemin,” I said and he hugged me again, wrapping me in his protective arms.