Prologue

Miracles Do Happen - Christmas Special
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter



And so it begins...


Tokyo, Japan

December 2023


“She is the world’s sweetheart,” The female announcer spoke. “Having won many championships, she continues to thrive, and just as we think we have seen it all, she proves us wrong, don’t you agree, Hyun?” 

“I couldn’t agree more!” The male confirmed. “She’s not your normal ice skater and her dance moves are out of this world!” 

“They sure are!” The female jumped in. “It always starts with Mozart’s Magical Flute and then turns into something modern, something out of this world.” 

“She’s unstoppable!”

“She’s the queen of the ice!” 

“She’s your and only SHIN AREUM!”

“Areum!”

“Areum!”

“Areum!”

“Areum!” 

The crowd cheered as she stepped onto the ice, sliding across it as she waved at them. The smile never left her face as she looked around, seeing a few familiar faces sitting in the front row. Arriving at the center of the skating ring, she took her position, looking to the side as the spotlight was now on her. Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath. 

As the music started to play, she moved her body, for a moment there forgetting that everyone was watching her. It was a common thing and the only way for her to focus on her choreography. Despite being in this world since she was ten, it was never easy doing it in front of others. 

“There she goes!” 

“She’s starting with her famous flip!” 

As she did the flip and landed on the ice, the crowd cheered and clapped, but the classic music suddenly changed into something more modern or as some would call it chic. Of course, with the change of music came a change in clothing. Areum reached for straps and pulled her dress off. The red middle-length flash dress was now a black-and-white lace dress that followed her figure and was much shorter. 

“Look at her go!” The male commented. 

“She’s driving the audience crazy!” 

I want ya, I want ya, want ya

I want ya, I want ya, want ya

I want ya, I want ya, want ya,


I want ya, I want ya, want ya

I want ya, I want ya, want ya

I want ya, I want ya, want ya,


I want ya, I want ya, want ya

I want—

“Isn’t that EXO’s song?” The male asked. 

The crowd cheered for her, calling out her name, some singing along. 

“You are right. EXO - Obsession, I believe, but I never thought that she would use this song,” The female replied. 

“Lots of stars from this area of sport use rock songs. I saw another female ice skater use j-rock and I guess she took lessons from the best...”

“She’s just full of surprises, and I must say, she’s brave.” 

“The judges will have a lot of work on their hands after this performance.”

“They sure will– Look!” 

“Very elegant, very smooth. Marvelous! Like the swan in the water!”

Areum held one of her legs up in the air as she twirled in one spot. Her skates cut the ice leaving smarks behind her, increasing the speed with each beat, before bending down and slowing down. But was that all? Oh, no. With the tips on her skates, she did a slight version of breakdancing, rapping along the way to herself. Her body moved with the rhythm.

“She is the first to dare to do such a thing and on ice!” 

“Look at the judges! They surely can’t believe their eyes… not to mention the crowd!” 

Areum smirked to herself as she slid across the ice doing her famous triple jump as she passed next to the judges, before coming to a stop and slamming her foot into the ice, as she looked up, throwing her hands to her sides with force. 

The audience clapped their hands, some throwing small toys and roses onto the ice as she blew them kisses. 

“That was one hell of a performance!” 

“Let’s see what the judges have to say.” 

Areum got off the ice only to be greeted by her friend Hana, her brother Hoon, and her parents. 

"‘I want ya, I want ya’ tana nana...Someone became an EXO fan and she refuses to admit it,” Hana teased with a cat grin.

Areum rolled her eyes playfully. “You know I like to experiment. It has nothing to do with whether I am an EXO-L or not.”

“Uh-huh...Yet you blush when you see a certain Park rapping or doing silly things.” 

“I told her the same thing,” Hoon hummed. “She whacks me with whatever she finds in her room.” 

Hana pouted. “She sent a pillow at my head if it makes you feel any better...”

“A pillow is better than a book.” 

“Mom… Dad…” Areum grumbled. “Save me.”

“No, no. You asked for  this, daughter of ours.” Her dad winked. 

“Every time I get involved I get pulled in both directions. Nope.” Her mother hummed. 

Hoon grinned and hugged his sister. “You were amazing!”

Areum grinned, hugging him back. “Thank you!” 

“Fantastic,” Her father showed a thumbs up. 

“Genius!” Hana exclaimed. 

“Thank you, all,” Areum smiled. “For your support and for believing in me.” 

Her mother sniffed. “Hush...she grew up...” 

“Darling...” 

“My cute Bambi… I remember when she used to fall every time.” Her mother mumbled, hugging her daughter. 

Hoon smiled. “But look at her, Mom! She achieved.” 

The female whipped her tears. “Of course! She is freaking Shin. We don’t cry! Yah!” 

Her husband shook his head. 

“How do you manage, Pa?” Hana teased. 

“I love her when she gets like this. She is cute.” 

Hoon and Areum made grimaces. “Dad...” 

“That’s...cringe...” 

“Get a room...”

The latter rolled his eyes and poked their cheeks. “I’ll see you when you both fall in love.”

“Oh, my brother and my parents sent you flowers and some treats for you,” Hana grinned, interrupting the two. 

“Send my thanks to them,” Areum smiled. 

“I shall, they all called in sick and decided to watch together. Yunho and I am sure BoA are with my brother watching the performance.” Hana chuckled. 

“I am sure they are, and knowing Yunho he was the loudest,” Areum chuckled. 

“God...Don’t ask... “

“They are about to score you, Re,” Hoon said.

Areum nodded and took her hoodie. 

Hana’s phone buzzed. “Speaking of a wolf... Let me take this call.” She chuckled. 

Areum winked and walked over to the bench to sit down as the camera focused on her. Her eyes sparkled as she looked at the score screen that was above. 

“The judges sure took their time.” 

“They sure did, but let’s see what they decided.” 

The screen flashed in front of her, scoring each important aspect. Areum clenched her fists as she waited for the final score. 

“350,40!” 

Areum’s heart jumped with happiness. 

“Once again she proves that she is the champion!” 

Areum’s eyes teared up as they pulled her into a group hug. 

“Shall we celebrate?!” Hana grinned. 

“Heck yes!” 

“Let me just get my things from the locker,” Areum said, before turning around and quickly heading toward the back. 

Once there, she quickly opened her locker and started to gather her things, but she stopped mid-way as her phone went off and she reached for it in her bag. Looking at the screen, her lips cracked into a smile. 

You were great out there. I think I drank too much soju out of nervousness. 

-Yeol

Silly. You’ll have a headache tomorrow morning. :( 
Thank you. You were right about the song. It matched perfectly. 

-Re

Hush, it’s worth it! ;)
I told you it was perfect, but you didn’t want to believe me :( 

-Yeol

I take it back! :( No pouting! 
How was your day?

-Re

It was great, we had a day off, well my members did. I had scheduled a broadcast on tvN. 

-Yeol

Sorry that I couldn’t watch it… I’ll check it out tonight. I promise. 

-Re

No rush, sweetie. Anyway, I am off to bed. ;) 

-Yeol

Goodnight, Loey. Sweet dreams. 

-Re

With that, Areum put her phone away, grabbed her things, and soon joined the others. 
 


First December snow began to flow as she emerged from the sports hall. There were a  lot of legends about the first snow, like the one you’ll meet true love. If you witness the first snowfall with the person you like, true love will blossom between both and it will be long-lasting. Because of this they meet each other and certain places to enjoy the first snowfall hoping their love would be eternal. 

There’s the other one that goes along with this. 

If you make a wish during the first snowfall, it is going to be true. 

She chuckled to herself before she closed her eyes. 

I must look stupid. 

What am I doing? 

She opened her eyes, shaking her head. 

“That man on your mind, huh?” Areum nudged her.

Hana rolled her eyes as she turned around to gaze at her best friend. “Don’t know what you are talking about...” 

“Sure you don’t,” Areum hummed. 

Hana squinted her eyes. “I wasn’t thinking of anyone...sheesh.” 

“You can foo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter