Six.

Pain in its Seventh Level
Please log in to read the full chapter

The morning sun painted the kitchen in warm hues as Sana diligently tackled the dishes. Seizing the opportunity to surprise her, I tiptoed behind, wrapping my arms around her waist. A startled squeal escaped her lips as she turned, dish soap still clinging to her hands.

"What are you doing, Dahyun?" she laughed.

"I have something for you," I replied, holding out a small, folded paper.

Sana wiped her hands and took the paper, her curiosity evident. As she started to unfold it, I gently halted her.

"Hey, not now," I said with a chuckle.

"Why? What is this?"

"It's my vows for the wedding."

Confusion crossed Sana's face. "Why are you giving it to me?" she asked.

"Just in case," I said, my voice carrying a weight that hung between us. "Just in case I don't make it to the big day. I want you to know what's in my heart, even if I'm not there to say it."

Sana playfully rolled her eyes and chuckled, "Hey, what are you saying? It's already tomorrow. You'll make it for sure."

With a faint smile, I nodded, appreciating her attempt to lighten the mood. "Yeah, yeah, I know I'll make it. But just... just keep it, okay?"

"Yes," she whispered, her voice barely audible over the running water. As she turned her back to continue with the dishes, I could sense the emotions welling up within her. Her eyes, slightly red, betrayed the desire to hold back tears.

It tugged at my heart.

Quietly, I approached her, wrapping my arms around her waist. "Hey," I whispered, planting a gentle kiss on her shoulder. "I... I didn't mean to make it heavy. Let's focus on the happy stuff, okay?"

Sana sniffled, attempting to stifle her emotions. "Yeah... yeah," she whispered back, her voice barely audible.

 

Later that day, as I scrolled through my phone, Sana entered the bedroom, "Honey, our cat is going to give birth!" she exclaimed, her eyes shining with anticipation.

I set my phone aside, glancing at her with a mix of surprise and curiosity. Our cat, Dahana, was a mystery in herself—pregnant, but with the identity of the father still unknown.

"Really?" I asked, a small smile playing on my lips. "Our cat's giving birth?"

"We need to set up a cozy spot for her, get some blankets, and, oh, what about the cat food? Do we have enough?" she rattled off.

I chuckled at her adorable state of mild chaos. "Calm down, babe. We've got this. Let's make sure Dahana has a comfy spot, and I'll check if we need to grab anything from the store. Okay?"

Sana smiled, the worry lines on her face softening. "Yeah, okay," she said. "And... we need someone who's a cat birth expert or something."

A light bulb seemed to flicker above my head. "I think I know just the person. Remember that time Chan helped a stray cat give birth near his restaurant?" I suggested, a hopeful grin on my face.

"Oh, right! Chan's good with animals. Do you think he'd be willing to help us?"

"I don't see why not. Let me give him a call," I said, reaching for my phone.

 

Chan gently cradled the tiny, mewling ball of fur in his hands, and a small, sympathetic smile played on his lips. "Well, here's the little survivor," he announced, presenting the lone kitten to us.

"Is it normal for the others not to make it?"

"Yeah, it's not uncommon, especially for first-time mothers. Sometimes, the first birth is a bit challenging. But hey, this little one made it, and Dahana did a good job."

Sana reached out to gently the newborn kitten. "You're a fighter, huh?" she cooed, a soft smile forming on her face.

Chan observed the tiny ginger kitten in his hands and chuckled. "Well, well, looks like we've got a rare one here. Female gingers are a bit of a rarity, you know. Dahana must have passed on some strong genes."

"Really?"

"Yeah, it's not common, but they do exist. Your little girl here is a special one, just like her mom."

Sana grinned, her eyes sparkling with newfound affection for the tiny ginger kitten. "You hear that, Dahana? Your little mini-me is a rare gem."

"How about we name her Sada. It's a blend of both our names, just like Dahana."

"Sada?" I repeated, testing the sound of the name on my tongue. "Sounds like saida (sprite)."

Sana burst into laughter, and I couldn't help but join in. "Well, if that's the case, let's just call her Sprite. It suits her, don't you think?"

"I love that," I said with a chuckle. "Welcome to the family, Sprite. You've got two crazy moms who love you already."

 

Wrapped in the warmth of the night, I hugged Sana from behind, again. "You know," I whispered, "today was a good day. And this... this is a good night."

"It really is," she said. "Are you happy?"

"Of course!"

"Really? How happy?"

"I'm so happy that if happiness were a physical thing, I'd be bouncing off the walls right now! I'd be doing cartwheels in the air, maybe even attempting a backflip. Can you imagine that?"

Sana giggled, turning to face me. "You're in an ex

Please log in to read the full chapter