Toxic

Seulrene Drabbles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taste of your lips, I'm on a ride
You're toxic, I'm slippin' under
With a taste of a poison paradise
I'm addicted to you
Don't you know that you're toxic?

 

They broke up again. This wasn't the first time they had broken up, not even the second one. This was probably the hundredth time they had broken up. But Seulgi was sure that this was probably the last time they'd break up, she was done with Joohyun, this was really the end.

Seulgi sighed as she leaned back, and the memories flashed inside her head.

 

The first time they met was when Seulgi was doing her groceries. She was in her first year of college, and it was her first time being away from her family because she went to a university away from home.

She was reading through her list of groceries, carefully scanning each item to be sure that she had not forgotten anything while pushing her grocery cart. Suddenly, she heard somebody scream "Boo!" in her ear, and a blur went past beside her. Confused and surprised, Seulgi followed the blur, and it had landed inside her grocery cart—yes, inside.

Sitting on her grocery cart was a petite lady wearing black ripped jeans, a white shirt, and a maroon jacket. Her hair, which had pink highlights, captivated Seulgi, but when the petite lady turned to look at her, Seulgi was whipped. The lady had the most angelic features she had ever seen put together in a human's face. The arch of her eyebrows, her high cheek bones, the thin lips that curled to form an impish grin, and her eyes—the chocolate brown pool that glinted with nothing else but mischief.

Yup, this girl is nothing but trouble, Seulgi thought. But before she could tell the lady to get off her cart, the lady did a funny little salute.

"Greetings to you, my chosen servant. I acquire your help in reaching the land of cereals and milk."

Puzzled, Seulgi raised her eyebrow, but the other lady acted as though she had not seen the gesture, for she turned her back on Seulgi and shouted, "Onward to aisle five, my dear servant!" while raising her right hand that was pointed to the aisle on the opposite corner of where they were, which contained the boxes of cereal and milk cartons.

Having left with no choice, Seulgi pushed the cart all the way to aisle five while the lady inside her cart remained in her position, randomly spouting greetings to other grocery shoppers. 

"Spam makes you fat!"

" milk is the best milk!"

"Good day to you, victim of consumerism!"

Seulgi pushed the cart faster to be able to get rid of the lady inside her cart. This lady was creating a ruckus, which caused people to pay a little bit more attention to them, and she did not want to be part of it. The faster she pushed the cart, the sooner she would be able to get rid of this lady.

The lady took this as a sign of Seulgi's willingness to push her, which caused her to scream "Wee!" as they whizzed through the aisles.

As soon as they reached aisle five, the petite lady hopped off the cart and picked up a box of cereal and a carton of milk. Seulgi turned away from the lady and went on with her way when, all of a sudden, she felt someone tap her shoulder.

"Hey! I haven't really thanked you yet," the lady said with a shy smile.

"It's okay," Seulgi said as she shrugged. She made the mistake of looking into the lady's eyes, wherein she saw a flash of sadness quickly veiled by the mischievous gleam as the lady whispered her thanks before looking down.

Seulgi felt a tug in her heart—she was after all drawn to broken things. And this girl, walking away from her, had a label: damaged goods.

"Wait up!" Seulgi heard herself say before the lady could further walk away.

The lady turned to face her, and confusion spread across her face.

"You want a ride to the counter?" Seulgi offered without thinking.

The grin the lady gave her after her offer made her think that her offer was the best thing the lady had heard the whole day.

"Hop on, my dear servant! As a sign of my gratitude for taking me to aisle five, I will bring you to the land of machines that will allow us to pay for our goodies," the lady said before pushing Seulgi and forcing her to get in the cart.

"My legs don't fit!" Seulgi complained. She had a tall and lanky frame that made it impossible for her to be comfortable inside the cart.

"Worry not, my faithful servant! This will be a quick ride!" the lady replied while laughing and pushing Seulgi with all her force.

It was indeed a quick ride for Seulgi, and the lady had crashed in a magazine rack that hit another rack, causing a domino effect in all other magazine racks. Security escorted them outside the grocery store without giving them a chance to explain.

As soon as Seulgi was out of the grocery store without her groceries, she was annoyed at the lady and wanted to demand an explanation. But as she turned to her side to complain, the lady was nowhere to be found.

Great. Now she had no groceries in hand, no coat to fight the cold wind breeze (they weren't given the chance to grab their coats before being escorted out), and she did not even have the slightest idea what the lady's name was—not that the last statement mattered that much. Seulgi's mind quipped.

Seulgi decided to head home with her hands hidden in her jeans' pocket to help keep herself warm when suddenly she felt a bump on her shoulder.

The other lady was standing next to her, holding two steaming cups of what seemed to be coffee based on the aroma coming from the cups.

"Here, this might help you feel a little warm," the other lady said as she offered her a cup.

Seulgi took the cup and smiled as the warmth of the cup spread to her fingers.

"Joohyun," the other lady suddenly said while they were walking.

Seulgi glanced at the lady beside her, throwing a questioning look.

"Well, you might want to know the name of the girl who got you banned from the local grocery store," Joohyun explained, referring to the grocery incident.

Seulgi let out an amused sigh. "You're no girl; you're a storm," she said before chuckling and peeking at the lady beside her.

"Smart ," Joohyun replied before she tiptoed and gave Seulgi a kiss on the cheek. "See you around, Seulgi!" she hollered while leaving the stunned-looking Seulgi on the streets.

How did she know my name? Seulgi looked down to see if she was wearing anything that might have given away her name, and suddenly she felt her cheeks burn with embarrassment. She knew why Joohyun had known her name—Seulgi's mother, her sweet mother, the woman who carried her around for nine months, loved to label her shirts with her name on the inside.

And stupid Kang Seulgi decided to wear her shirt inverted today, of all the days.

 

Everybody loves Krystal, or Krys, as she was fondly called by Seulgi's family and friends. She and Seulgi have been dating for a year now. According to Seulgi's parents, Krystal was redemption; according to Seulgi's friends, Krystal was a breath of fresh air. But Seulgi was not entirely sure about the words they had given Krystal. Seulgi thought that for her family and friends, any girl would be considered her salvation as long as she kept her from coming back to Joohyun.

Krystal was her first girlfriend post-Joohyun. She was calm and collected, smart and spoke with tact, organized and planned her activities well, and most of all, she never fought with Seulgi. She always understood Seulgi's shortcoming and gave her the chance to make it up to her—always, without fail. Seulgi was lucky to have met her on the steps of the public library, where she was sitting while gazing at the stars.

"It's beautiful," Seulgi had heard somebody say beside her. She looked at the person beside her and gazed into the blackest eyes she had ever seen.

"It is," Seulgi simply replied before giving the person beside her a smile.

"Krystal," the person beside her said while she extended her hand.

"Seulgi," she replied with a coy smile.

This was how they first met, and the rest, they say, is history. Seulgi took her out for date nights, and despite her being late on alm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter