Oops?

Birthday Catastrophe

"-happy birthday to you!"

Donghae looks at Hyukjae's glowing face, so obviously expecting praise.

"So, how was it? Perfect? Beyond your wildest dreams?"

Hyukjae's earnest face is so endearing to see, Donghae muses.

"Honestly? Just as perfect as last year's."

Hyukjae splutters.

"Last year was a wreck! Nothing turned out right. You're saying that debacle is just as good as today? The violin orchestra? The zoo animals?? The fireworks on Namsan tower?!"

"I said what I said. Any time with you is going to be perfect."

Hyukjae's face grows warm as he groans.

"Ahhh, you're so cheesy Donghae..."

Donghae grabs Hyukjae's hand and pulls him in closer.

"That's rich, coming from the guy that pulled out all the stops."

"Well, you like this kind of thing..." Hyukjae mumbles, "Besides, it's not over yet. There's still one more thing."

"What more could there possibly be?"

"Remember last year? I promised to tell you what I was gonna do then. I've been waiting all year for this."

Hyukjae dramatically reaches into his coat pocket, only to stop as his face goes white as he frantically pats all of his pockets.

"No no no no, this can't be happening!"

Donghae watches as Hyukjae collapses, wailing in misery.

"It was all going so well too, dammit!"

Donghae kneels down and hugs Hyukjae, making soothing sounds.

"It's okay Hyuk, I'm sure I would've loved it. It's the thought that counts."

Donghae smiles warmly as he pulls Hyukjae up. "Let's just go home. You've pampered me all day, so it's my turn to comfort you. I can't think of anything better than a warm bed snuggled up with you."

Hyukjae sniffles, but nods, and takes Donghae's hand. "Okay, let's go home."