Who Are You? (Lover)

To Mend A Broken Glass

Kyuhyun's world fell apart when his mate disappeared without a trace one day.

 

 

"Woon-ah? Are you sleeping? I'm sorry to bother you but I think Hyeonyun and Sunggyu are hungry again."

 

Kyuhyun who just came back from his evening class raised a brow when he found out that no one was in the bedroom. He hurriedly checked the two infants who were crying in a crib, all the while trying to call his mate's phone. Did Jongwoon go out to buy something quick? But his Omega never and would never leave their children unattended. He started to get worried when every call connected to a voice message and he had no clue as to where his lover could go to. They were young. They recklessly but passionately fell in love not long after getting to know each other during their freshman year.

Two years later, he marked his Omega and they were happy to welcome new lives joining their family, even though Jongwoon had no parents to tell the good news and his parents (mostly his conservative father) wouldn't accept their relationship. Nevertheless, they were overjoyed to have found their mate and cried in tears of happiness when the beautiful boy-girl twins were born. Because both of them still studied in college, they arranged their schedules so that someone would be home with the twins while the other studied or worked part-time jobs. Their lives weren't easy but they never regretted any decisions. In fact, they just happily celebrated their babies' first month anniversary a few days ago.

 

Then, his Omega just disappeared all of a sudden.

 

Kyuhyun searched for his mate like a madman while also taking care of their children. He filed a missing person report with the police but nothing ever came up. An Alpha raising two infants by himself was a difficult task so he had no choice but to turn to his family. He wasn't well-off but by no means poor. He just got disowned by his father who objected to his and Jongwoon's relationship. Although he still had his mother and older sister, they had to help him behind his father's back so they couldn't come by often. In the end, he took a break from college to become a full-time single father. It was only when the twins turned three that his father's resolve softened and he was able to leave Hyeonyun and Sunggyu with his family while he finished his degree. Before long, five years had passed since Kim Jongwoon abandoned him and their children without any notice.

 

 

Kyuhyun swore to never forgive his mate.

 

***************************************************

 

Present day...

 

 

"Alright, Pumpkins, remember what you promise Daddy?"

"We will stay here!"

"We won't go anywhere!"

"That's my kids~ Be a good boy and good girl and Daddy will buy ice cream for you."

"Yey! Daddy is the best!"

 

Kyuhyun grinned and smooched his children's cheeks to encourage himself and get some luck. After graduating from college, he became a freelancer so that he could spend time with the twins. However, Hyeonyun and Sunggyu would enter school soon so he needed to earn more money. As if luck was on his side, the Kim Imperial Estate which was one of the largest real estate businesses happened to be in need of an interior designer for their new hotel project, right exactly his alley. Today, he had an interview and he was confident that he would get the job. However...

 

"What do you mean? How can I fail when you haven't even interviewed me yet?"

"We've already chosen the right candidate. It's a shame that we didn't get to hear your idea but you may leave now."

"No! Choosing a candidate without seeing all of us first is just lobbying! This is a fraud!"

"Sir, please leave before we call a security."

"No!! I won't accept this!"

"Guards—!"

"What happened here, Mister Chang?"

 

Kyuhyun's heart twitched when he heard a familiar voice that he hadn't heard for five years. It can't be... He turned back and his mind went blank when he saw his own mate approaching him, in flesh and blood. Jongwoon seemed to lose quite a lot of weight and muscles. His Omega was now thin and slender. His chubby cheeks became hollow just like his demeanor which seemed to be colder. Even his bubbly pink hair had now became grim black hair. Kyuhyun used to imagine countless reunion scenarios but he never expected to run into his Omega here. He thought that he would be furious and scold Jongwoon for leaving them. However, everything got stuck in his throat when he really stood in front of his mate and he just wanted to embrace the Omega man again. In the end, he was still a fool in love.

 

"Woon-ah, I—"

"Who are you? Why are you creating a commotion in my company?"

 

Any hope he had got distinguished in a second when the Omega addressed him coldly as if he was a nuisance, not his precious Alpha mate. He was too shocked to say anything so Jongwoon ignored him and turned to the employee instead.

 

"Mister Chang, fill me in."

"Yes, Sir. We held an interview to look for an interior designer for our latest project and this gentleman was upset that he wasn't chosen."

"Liar! You didn't even consider choosing me to begin with because you already lobbied a winner!"

"...Is that true? Mister Chang?"

"B-But the chosen candidate was approved by the Madam..."

"Who is the president of this company? Me or my aunt?"

"...It's you, Sir."

"Good. At least you know your place. Kick that candidate out and hire this person instead."

 

During the exchange, Kyuhyun looked at his mate as if he saw a stranger. Kim Jongwoon whom he knew was a kind and cheerful person, nothing like this doppelganger who didn't glance in his direction. For a moment of madness, he even wondered if his lover actually had an evil twin. However, he would never mistake his Omega's sweet vanilla latte pheromone even if the man didn't release it. What happened to Jongwoon?

 

"Daddy! Are you okay!?"

"Who hurt Daddy!?"

"Hyeonyun? Sunggyu? What are you doing here? Daddy told you to wait for me at the lobby."

"Hyeonyun heard your voice!"

 

He smiled and picked up the boy while the girl hugged his leg. He sensed that someone was staring at him and looked up to find Jongwoon watching them closely. That's right. Even if his Omega wanted to ignore him, surely, Jongwoon wouldn't ignore their children—

 

"This place isn't a playground so please take your children out and don't bring them here again if you still need this job."

 

His heart shattered into a million pieces hearing that cruel statement. When he looked at the Omega man's eyes, he saw no love in there, only indifferent annoyance. His eyes felt warm but he refused to shed tears, not here, not in front of this monster that stole his lover's appearance. He bit his lip and bowed down at the black-haired man, before leaving with his children without looking back.

 

 

That heartless person could never be his beloved mate.

 

*******************************************

 

"I've read your proposal and I must say that you have a good head on your shoulders. It's exactly what I imagine the Sapphire Blue World Hotel to be."

"Thank you for your comment, Sir."

 

Kyuhyun hid his true feelings and bowed at the stranger who looked like his Omega. He had been working under Kim Jongwoon, the sole heir of the grand Kim Imperial Estate for a month now. During that, he observed the cold president closely and noticed that his mate had really become an entirely different person regarding his personality and demeanor. Although he had no idea what happened to Jongwoon in those five years, some of his Omega's unique habits still manifested from time to time so he was confident that this person was his disappeared lover, for example, the way Jongwoon unconsciously rubbed his own philtrum while being deep in thoughts and...

 

"Jongwoon-ssi, excuse my rudeness but I notice that you always touch your left ring finger. Could it be that you forget something?"

"...Forget? I don't know too. How can I forget something I don't even know?"

 

The Omega CEO murmured and stopped touching his finger. As his suspicion grew bigger, Kyuhyun decided to probe more.

 

"You're a successful businessman and you're an attractive Omega. Your Alpha mate is one lucky guy."

"...I guess? My aunt told me that I'm still single but maybe I'm not? Who knows?"

"You don't know? Jongwoon-ssi, if I may, how was your life five years—"

"Kyuhyun-ssi," Jongwoon addressed him coldly. "Alphas forcing themselves on Omegas is considered a crime."

 

But I am your Alpha mate... Kyuhyun thought bitterly to himself and stopped bothering the other man. Although he still had no idea what happened to his mate, he suspected that Jongwoon might have forgotten everything about him and their children.

 

 

If that was really the case, would he forgive his mate for leaving them?

 

**************************************************

 

"Hey, do you know any juicy gossip about President Kim?"

"Woah, Kyuhyun, aren't you a bold one!"

"C'mon... I know you're eager to talk about it."

"Hahaha! You're quite perceptive, eh? Okay, so, do you know that Kim Jongwoon is actually a puppet of Madam Kim? He might be a president but the Madam has all the say in this company."

"The Madam? His aunt?"

"Yeah. Take it to your grave but rumors say that she's behind the accident that took the former president's and his wife's lives. Now, she controls President Kim and probably plans to overtake everything for herself."

"I see..."

 

After gossiping around with the old employees, Kyuhyun gathered enough clues to deduce that maybe his Omega didn't intend to leave them but was forced by a certain circumstance. He became more open to the idea of accepting his mate back into their lives. He could tell from Jongwoon's subtle actions that the man's body still remembered it even though his mind drew blank. So, he came up with a plan to prove that his Omega still loved him. After working here for a few months, the design plan was half-done so he used it as an excuse to invite the Omega to his house, lying that he wanted to discuss something but forgot the material at home. Jongwoon was reluctant but still drove him home and agreed to stay for dinner. While setting up the table, he pretended to drop a glass and broke it. Then, his heart swelled in great joy when he saw his mate confidently take out a towel from a cabinet that was out of reach.

 

"Jongwoon-ssi, how come you know where the towels are kept?"

"!!?"

 

The startled Omega dropped the towel in surprise. The sudden outburst of Jongwoon's vanilla latte scent made him unable to stop himself anymore. He strode toward the shorter man and cornered him against the counter. Wrapping his arms around the thin body, Kyuhyun intentionally released his pheromone and watched his mate's flushed face in hope.

 

"Jongwoon, no, Woon-ah, do you remember me? I'm your Alpha!"

"Kyuhyun-ssi, please let go of me while I'm still being nice. This is ual harassment."

"You might lose your memory but it's obvious that your body still remembers it!"

"I have no idea what you're talking about. Stop."

"If you really want me to stop, say it while looking at me in the eyes. And retract your pheromone."

 

Jongwoon flinched and turned to look the other way. However, the Omega's sweet pheromone practically begged him to hold the trembling body tighter. He guided his pheromone to calm his mate first. Then, he smoothed out the smaller man's bang and wiped the sweat on his forehead. After a while, Jongwoon finally looked at him again, and something wavered in those gorgeous black eyes that made his heart leap in his chest. He cradled the shorter man's face and slowly leaned in until his mate's warm breath tickled his heart...

 

"Daddy? Sunggyu is hungry."

"Who is that uncle?"

 

The Omega pushed him away after hearing the children's voices. Before he got to ask his mate to stay and meet their children, Jongwoon glanced at him once and left without looking at the twins. Kyuhyun sighed and kneeled down to clean up the glass shards before Hyeonyun and Sunggyu came into the kitchen. At the same time, he wondered if he made the right choice, trying to get his Omega's memories back. Should he really fix this broken relationship or forget it and just start his life anew?

 

"Daddy? Who is that beautiful Uncle?"

 

Hyeonyun asked curiously with sparkling eyes while her twins brother nodded quietly. Kyuhyun threw the shards in a trash bin and pondered about how he should answer the children. How should he explain to them that the beautiful uncle was actually their mother who abandoned them after losing his memories? Or that he tried to make their mother remember them but failed so far? Actually, he still was uncertain whether he should keep pursuing the amnesiac man. Then, he looked at the twins and his resolve strengthened.

 

"He is... someone very important to Daddy and I want all of us to get along."

 

 

The answer is, yes, he wants their family to be together.

 

***********************************************

 

Although Kyuhyun had already deduced most of the truth behind his Omega's disappearance, he still had yet to find out what exactly happened five years ago that caused his mate's amnesia. He dug around but couldn't find anything. No one knew about President Kim's life before he showed up at the company all of a sudden five years ago. Having no other choices, he cautiously investigated Madam Kim's background and found something interesting. Apparently, she had a son a few years younger than Jongwoon named Kim Ryeowook. However, the estranged son ran away from home around the same period when his mate disappeared. It took him many attempts to contact Kim Ryeowook because the Beta man was very elusive. In the end, he had to reveal that Jongwoon was his Omega to successfully persuade the man to meet him. Of course, everything was hidden from his mate. He refrained from approaching his lover until he learned about the whole truth.

 

"As far as I recalled, Kyuhyun-ssi, I'm your employer, not a babysitter at your beck and call."

"I know. I called you here as my boss to discuss the final process of the design. However, I happened to need to run some urgent errands so I'd like to bother you to look after Hyeonyun and Sunggyu for a while."

"And why should I do that?"

"You'll help me out, right?"

 

Kyuhyun held the other man's arm and squeezed it lightly when his mate didn't snatch his arm back. He smiled happily after Jongwoon sighed and agreed to look after the twins. He really hoped that at least Jongwoon could recall their children and that Hyeonyun and Sunggyu would open their hearts to their mother.

 

"Pumpkins, listen to Uncle Jongwoon and be a good kid, alright? Daddy will buy your favorite ice cream on my way home if you don't forget what Daddy told you!"

"Yes! We won't!"

"We will remember! Uncle Jongwoon is veryyyyy important to Daddy!"

"...What?"

"Ah, um, please don't mind their rambling..."

 

Kyuhyun coughed to hide his embarrassment and left to meet Kim Ryeowook secretly. Suddenly, his Omega grasped his arm and his gland tingled at the sweet scent that gingerly reached out to him.

 

"...Be careful."

"I know. I'll come back soon."

 

He resisted the urge to peck his mate's cheek and left to find the last missing piece of this puzzle.

.

.

.

.

The meeting took place at a restaurant outside of a commercial district to go under Madam Kim's radar. He already knew what Kim Ryeowook looked like so he spotted the man in no time. The Beta was a short and thin young man who resembled Madam Kim less than he expected. Sitting down opposite the man, he immediately got into the topic.

 

"What happened to Jongwoon five years ago?"

"...Are you really hyung's Alpha?"

"Yes. You can look at our photos. And these are our children."

 

He showed his phone to the other man. Kim Ryeowook smiled at a photo of Jongwoon carrying the newborn twins and finally opened up.

 

"I've never seen Jongwoon hyung this happy before. I'm glad that he finally found his home."

"I'm glad to meet him too and I want our family to be together again. That's why, Ryeowook-ssi, please tell me what causes him to lose his memory."

"...That. Well, I guess I can tell you something."

 

Then, Kim Ryeowook proceeded to tell him about another side of his Omega that he had never heard of before. Although Jongwoon was an heir to a huge chaebol family, his mate had always been more interested in art and fashion. So, he ran away from home after graduating from high school to enroll in an art college. After that, he knew, Jongwoon met him and they fell in love. Although he just found out that his mate did want to introduce him and the babies to his parents. Unfortunately, they got in a car accident first and it was the beginning of every tragedy that followed...

 

"What? Are you suspecting that your mother is behind the accident that took Jongwoon parents' lives?"

"Not suspecting. I'm saying that she's responsible for it. I know... because she told me herself while laughing like a madwoman."

"What!?"

"I know that she resents Uncle and Auntie but I didn't expect her to outright kill them. I was so scared. I didn't have any evidence. I could only warn Jongwoon hyung that he might be the next target. Hyung reassured me that everything would be fine b-but he got in a car a-accident on his way to Uncle and Auntie's funeral... No doubt her doing..."

"...That was why he suddenly left our home and lost his memory."

"...Anyway, before the accident, Jongwoon hyung told me to flee if anything happened to him so I did as he told, running away and hiding without looking back. Not getting in Jongwoon hyung's way is the least I can do for him."

"I see... Thank you for taking the time to meet me."

"Kyuhyun-ssi, do you really mean it? When you said that you love Jongwoon hyung?"

"Of course. He's my one and only Omega mate."

 

Kim Ryeowook stood up and stared at him with an unreadable expression.

 

"I hope you took what you said today to your heart."

.

.

.

.

After his employee left, Jongwoon kept his distance from the twins, only approaching them when they needed something. Hyeonyun and Sunggyu also played by themselves without bothering him much until it was time for their afternoon nap. The children asked him to put them to sleep so he awkwardly picked them up and laid them on the bed. He was about to leave but the twins wouldn't let him, saying that they only fell asleep when someone was with them. So, he stayed and hummed a few nursery rhythms he remembered while patting the children's heads until they yawned. While the girl rubbed her eye sleepily, the boy stared at him innocently and said something that made his heart stop temporarily.

 

"Sunggyu know this song..."

"...Sleep now. Your Daddy will be home soon."

 

Not long after that, the twins slept like a log. Jongwoon smiled and brushed their growing bangs aside, before kissing their foreheads.

 

"Hyeonyun... Sunggyu... Babies... Mommy didn't forget you and Daddy. Never."

 

*****************************************

 

Author's note:

December is a holiday month and holiday is a family time. So, enjoy some family drama before the year end  ;)

That's right. Mommy Jongwoon didn't lose his memory. Then, what happened and why did he abandon his family? Look forward to next chapter (and prepare your heart!)

 

Take care and love you!  <3