Chapter I

Letting You Go

Jang Mihee stared at her reflection in the mirror, checking up her appearance for the 6th time in the last 5 minutes. She was wearing a dress with the color of the morning sky that went down to her knees. The sweetness of her face was enhanced by a layer of light make up, while her long wavy hair was loose, covering the upper side of her back.

After giving herself a satisfactory nod, she grabbed her handbag and walked out of her room, just in time for the doorbell to make a sound. As usual, her heart jumped in her chest when she greeted the man in front of the doorstep.

“Yeol…good morning..”

“Good morning to you too pretty girl, ready to go?”

Chanyeol’s bright smile and his compliment never failed to make her heart fluttered. Trying hard not to blush, Mihee managed to give him a small nod, wore her shoes, locked her apartment door, and then followed him to the elevator.

 

“So where do you want to go?”

Chanyeol asked her after they both went inside his car.

“Can we go to the Planetarium?”

She didn’t miss the twinkle of excitement in his eyes when he heard she mentioned his favorite place.

“Yeah! Umm I mean, sure, but don’t you want to go anywhere else? We just went there a few weeks ago right? Besides, you must be bored listening to my endless geeky talks.”

Mihee chortled at this and shook her head.

“Not at all, on the contrary, I think it’s on the way to become my favorite place as well.”

The wide smile that he is giving her at her answer made her happy and sad at the same time, for she loved his smile, but knew that after this day, it would never be hers again.

“All right then, Planetarium it is.”

He shifted the gear and stepped on the gas, swiftly driving the car along the crowded streets of Seoul.

 

It was a half an hour drive to the Planetarium, a good thirty minutes for her to drink up his handsome appearance from the corner of her eyes. Chanyeol was wearing a dark blue jeans and a brown long sleeve shirt. The casual look suited him just fine, but then again, Mihee couldn’t remember even a single time when Chanyeol appeared less than handsome in her eyes. His ears, that had been a source of teasing for their friends because of their size, she adored. His wide smile, that some people thought strange, even creepy, she loved. As usual, most of the car ride was filled only with small indistinctive sound from the car radio. This silence ritual that she had gotten used to made her bit her bottom lip and made a soundless sigh.

Chanyeol and Mihee were high school friends, but it wasn’t until they entered the same university that they knew each other well. Mihee was studying psychology while Chanyeol was taking a degree in civil engineering, but one or two coincidences made they ran in the same circle of friends. His sunny personality and kindness easily made his way to her heart, she was so entranced by him that at the start of their 3rd semester, she gathered up her courage and asked him out. Not caring that conventionally it was the male who should make the first move. Much to her happiness and surprise, he said yes, with the same cheerful smile that she always marveled at.

Their first three dates went perfectly great, but then after the third, Minhee noticed that Chanyeol was gradually talking less and less. From talking and making jokes all the time, to sometimes talking and making jokes, to doing just a little bit of both. Afraid that he thought of her as a bore, she tried hard to fire up their conversation many times, searching for topics that might be of his interest, and for a while it worked, they’d talk, but it never lasted for long. This circumstance was very much in contrast with the never ending chatter they had when they were still just friends.

The only moment Chanyeol couldn’t seem to close his mouth since after the start of their relationship, was when they were in the Planetarium. When they sat side by side, watching the galaxy and all the stars and planets projected on the high dome ceiling way above them. This was the only moment when Chanyeol reverted to the man that she knew before. He talked endlessly, telling her lots of things, that were way more detailed than the echoing voice of the show’s narrator.

Which was the reason Mihee wanted them to go to Planetarium for their date that day. She just wanted to savor those precious moments…for one last time.