Ch.2- Old Memories

FATED (Sequel of Dream and Fate)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 2 Old Memories

 

Night had fallen deep. Sound of crickets could faintly heard. Once awhile the gong from night patrols broke the serene darkness.

In a room, dimly lighted, Akari was wide awake. She could not sleep. Her mind kept reeling the conversation with Ainosuke. She was caught of guard when he told her that he possibly would accept the mission from Domoto Koichi because of personal reason. She knew well enough that Ainosuke was never impulsive, but if it is related to his parents, his devotion couldn't be underestimated. 

A low groan suddenly heard. She turned her head to confirm that it came from Ainosuke. Carefully sat up, she could see Ainosuke asleep but restless. His brows knitted tightly, beads of sweat could be seen on his forehead.

It had been ten days she shared the bed with Ainosuke. He was light, but tidy sleeper. To show how quiet his sleeping was, if one did not see the rise and fall of his chest, one might think he was dead. 

Thus, seeing Ainosuke restless sleep surprised her. 

"Ai-kun!" Softly she called out, her hand touch his shoulder. 

"Ai-kun, wake up!" She shook his body.

"Ai-ku..."

His eyes opened up at once. His gaze was full of sorrow.

"Are you alright?" She asked.

His eyes blinked before he turned to look up at her. His breath was labored.

"I...I'm alright," he answered, getting himself up.

With her sleeve, she dabbed the sweat on his temple, "Were you having nightmare?"

Leaning his head on the headboard, he mustered a smile, "Not really."

"Huh?" She tilted her head slightly, did not understand his answer.

He took the hand which had been busy dabbing his sweat into his hold. While calming himself down, he squeezed her hand slightly, "It's not really a nightmare, just... a scene from the past."

What kind of past that could scare Ainosuke and make him look that sad? She wondered.

"Want to talk about it?" She eventually asked.

He heaved a sigh, "What time is it?"

"Some time past midnight," she answered.

He focused his gaze at her, making her slightly nervous.

"You didn't sleep?" He asked back.

She shook her head, "I can't sleep."

"Thinking about my teacher's request?" He probed further. 

She realized he evaded her question, so she thought he did not want to talk about his nightmare. She did not intend to pry.

She nodded, "Yes. I can't help but worry about it."

"You don't need to worry. I will have careful considerations before making decision."

"I know you will."

A gentle smile appeared on his face, "Then you just sleep."

She nodded before lying down the bed. He did the same.

Lying side by side, she had lowered her guard completely. She wasn't as nervous as the first several days. Thus, when she turned sleep on her side with her back against Ainosuke, she never expected to feel a warm breath on her back. Ainosuke leaned his head on her back and his hand held her upper arm lightly.

"I never shared this to anyone," his husky voice was heard. "Not even to my parents and little sister."

She swallowed a lump, anticipation and nervousness combined. She noticed the hold on her upper arm slightly tighter.

"There are times when certain memories triggered and makes it hard for me to breathe. It's like I am reliving those dreadful scenes."

Her heart started to pick up. She kept her silence and waited for him to continue with his own pace.

"It was the time when the 5-years-old me accompanied Father and Mother to visit Kyoukai seeking for master Domoto Koichi. Though prohibited from entering, there were times when I succesfully sneaked into my father's treatment chamber. I saw with my own eyes how he struggled, how much he suffered. Sometimes, I saw blood everywhere. I heard his painful groans... I witnessed how Mother secretly crying..."

She could feel her eye getting warmer, tears b. To imagine a little kid witnessing such a scene... it was already heartbreaking, what more Ainosuke who experienced it the first hand.

Behind her, she heard him inhaling and exhaling breaths, clearly trying to calm down.

She put a hand on top of his which had started to loosen up holding her arm. Toughening herself up, she turned her body over so she could face him.

His face was serene. One would not expect there was storm in those dark pupils just a short time ago.

"Though I can't relate, I understand how painful it must be for you," she said, gazing directly to his eyes.

"I know," he replied. "I never expect you nor anyone to relate to it. I just don't want to hide anything from you as I promise."

She mustered a smile, "I appreciate it."

He responded with a weak smile, putting his hand on her head, rubbing her hair tenderly. Gradually the air became tense, making her heart pounding. Her eyes glued to his.

"I'm also w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter