Chapter 3

Timeless

Lu Wan Wan couldn’t sleep. She hadn’t had much sleep the past couple of weeks. Her mother’s fourth year death anniversary is coming up and as it draws closer, she was feeling more anxious. She reached over and grabbed her phone off the nightstand by her bed and looked at the time. 5:00 AM. She sighed and climbed out of bed. She walked over to her closet. She changed out of her pajamas and put on a black racer back tank top, pulling a crop top raglan sleeve shirt over her tank, pairing it with a black jogger. She grabbed her running shoes and put it on.

            She walked over to her desk and grabbed her earphones and armband for her phone. She put her phone in the arm band and put it on around her arm as she walked down the stairs, putting the earphones in her ears. She opened the front door and sprinted down her driveway and around her neighborhood. Besides drawing, running was a stress reliever for her. Whenever she was stressed, she would run around the neighborhood or around the track at school.

            She ran around her neighborhood twice before returning home. She jumped into the shower and got ready for her internship. She entered the kitchen and there was no sign of any of the mess that had happened the night before. She walked over to the fridge and there was a note on it. She read the note and sighed. See you at that hospital. She opened the fridge and out the orange juice. She pours herself a glass of juice and sighed. On the counter, was her breakfast covered in saran wrap. She took off the wrap and started her breakfast. Once she was done, she washed her dishes and walked out of the house. She got on her bike and rode her bike to her internship. She parked her bike and walked towards the hospital entrance. She froze. She had been to the hospital a couple times after her mother’s death, but this time it was different.

            Her heart was pounding erratically as she stood in front of the entrance. She tightened her grip on the strap of her bag, fingers trembling ever so slightly. The morning sun cast a soft golden glow over the entrance, making the scene seem almost serene. But for Wan Wan, serenity was a distant dream. She took a deep breath, her chest constricting as she battled the rising tide of emotions. The hospital's sliding glass doors beckoned, their automatic whoosh a subtle invitation to step forward. But every fiber of Wan Wan's being resisted. Her mind became a canvas painted with memories of tear-streaked faces, hushed conversations, and the sterile beeping of machines that had marked her mother's final days. She closed her eyes briefly, trying to find the strength to overcome the overwhelming torrent of emotions.

            “I can do this,” she whispered to herself, her voice barely audible. The door swung open, and a rush of air carried with it a sense of both trepidation and possibility. She took a step inside, the threshold marking not just an entry into the hospital, but an entry into a path of healing, closure, and the strength to face her past. She took a deep breath and made her way to the front desk. She flashed her badge in front of the nurses, and they signaled her up to the elevators to the 5thfloor.

            She got out of the elevator and walked to her father’s office. She knocked on the door and heard a “come in,” before she entered the office. He was reading some files when she entered the room. “You made it,” he said.

            “Yeah, so where do you want me?” she asked.

Her handed her a few files. “Your mother, she was an amazing pediatrician before her death, I think you should start there. I know that you’re anxious because her...” he trailed off. She can hear a crack in his voice. She stared at him with confusion. He cleared his throat, “your mother would have loved it if you were also a pediatrician.”

            “Okay,” she said, taking the files from him.

            “Your coat is in your locker,” he said. “Put it on and report to Doctor Liu Ying.” She nodded her head and walked out of his office. She met up with Doctor Liu Ying, and she assigned her some documents to chart, since she was only an intern and a second-year college student, Dr. Liu did not want her to be overwhelmed.

            At the end of the day, she hung up her coat in her locker and walked out of the hospital. She turned and stared at the hospital entrance. It felt weird being back to the place that her mother took her last breath, but these were the halls that her mother walked in when she was still alive. She sighed and walked to her bike. She rode her bike to an empty house. Her father was working overtime at the hospital and her stepmother was away filming a new drama in a different province.

            She changed into a pair of jeans and a plain white T-shirt and sat on her bed. She was scrolling through her phone when she came across a post from Delightful Bites Catering. She stared at the post made by Zhu Yi Ran. The crew were smiling as they pose for the picture next to the van.  There was another post made by Zhu Yi Ran about catering her first wedding since she started her catering business. She looked at the location and realized the place that they were catering at was not too far from her house. She looked out the window and remembered how chaotic the night of her father’s party, but she felt a sense of calmness while she was standing there, helping Zhu Yi Ran with the har gow and crispy wontons. She put on her shoes and grabbed her purse and walked out of her house. She got on her bike and rode her bike to the banquet hall that was hosting the wedding.

            She pulled up to the banquet hall and got off her bike. She wheeled her bike up the driveway and smiled when she saw the van. She watched as they unpacked the van. She didn’t know why, but seeing them, made her heart leaped. She took a deep breath and wheeled her bike towards the van. There were more people than when they were at house, and they seem to be more organized as well.

            “If I was getting married, my wedding would be grand,” she heard a voice said from inside the van. “I mean, this is a nice hall and everything, but it’s not grand, you know?”

            “Mhm,” the girl standing out said.  

            “Here,” the voice inside the van, as she stuck out her arm. Lu Wan Wan watched as the girl outside the van grabbed the utensils and put them on top of the cart. She recognized the girl that was standing outside, it was Xu Xin Ru—she was the same girl that was at her house the other day.

            “What kind of wedding do you want, Xin Ru?” the voice inside the van asked. Lu Wan Wan leaned against her bike and watched them interacting with each other. If her mother was alive, she would have loved being part of the chaos. Her mother lived for chaos.

            “I wouldn’t have a wedding,” Xu Xin Ru said. The person inside the van poked her head out and raised her eyebrow.

            “No wedding?” she asked.

            “Nope. No wedding. We’ll go and register our marriage and that’s all,” Xu Xin Ru said.

            “Interesting,” the girl said. Lu Wan Wan thought about the question and chuckled. She remembered her mother telling her about her parents’ disastrous wedding. She laughed a little too loud, catching the attention of the two women in front of her.

            “Oh, I’m sorry,” Wan Wan said, clearing . “Is, um, is Zhu Yi Ran here?”

            “Yes, she’s inside,” the girl inside the van said. “Just go up the walkway and make a right. She should be in the kitchen.”

            “Thanks,” Wan Wan said and followed the girl’s direction. As she was turning the corner, she ran into Ren Chu, knocking down whatever he was holding all over the floor. “I'm so sorry!” she stammered, bending down to help gather the fallen utensils.

            “It’s not a problem,” he said, picking up some tongs. Wan Wan's heart raced, partly from the collision and partly from the proximity of the handsome server. She couldn't help stealing a glance at him as they both reached for a salad spatula, their fingers brushing.

            “Here,” Wan Wan said, handing him the spatula “I think that's all of them.”

            “Thank you,” he replied with a smile. She smiled and excused herself. She walked away from him and walked down the hall. He watched as she entered the kitchen and chuckled, before going on his way.

            Lu Wan Wan entered the kitchen and was amazed by how organized it was compared to what happened at her house. She scanned through the kitchen and saw Zhu Yi Ran standing by the oven talking to a server. She took a deep breath and let it out before walking towards Zhu Yi Ran. Zhu Yi Ran turned and saw Lu Wan Wan standing a few inches away from her. She squinted her eyes sand smiled at the sight of Lu Wan Wan.

            “Lu Wan Wan?” she said, walking to her.

            “Hey, I, um, saw your post on Weibo and since I live close by, I, um, decided to stop by. Um, I know that this is crazy, but can I help you? If you don’t mind,” she asked.

            “Oh, well, I am fully staffed today but I do welcome any extra help,” she said.

            “Thanks,” she said.

            “Let me see,” she said, scanning the room. “You know what, you can work with Ren Chu at the bar. He is usually working alone so you can help him. Do you know how to serve drinks?”

            “No,” she answered.

            “It’s okay. He’ll show you,” she said. “I can tell that you’re a fast learner from the other day, so it’s no problem if you start there.”

            “Um, where is the bar area?” she asked.

            “I sent Ren Chu to the van,” she said, “when he returns, I’ll have him come get you. For now, you can help fold those napkins with Li Wei.” Lu Wan Wan nodded and walked over the table. She greeted Li Wei and helped her folded the napkins. She was in deep conversation with Li Wei about something cakes when Ren Chu tapped her on the shoulder. Startled by the unexpected touch, Wan Wan spun around on her heels far quicker than she had anticipated. Their movements were too perfectly timed – her swift turn met Ren Chu's approach head-on, and before they could react, they found themselves nose to nose, inches apart.

            Their faces were so close that they could feel each other's breaths, their eyes locked in a moment of startled surprise. Time seemed to stand still for an instant, as they stared at each other’s eyes. “Oh!” Lu Wan Wan exclaimed, her voice a breathless whisper. Her heart raced, a blush creeping across her cheeks as she realized how close they were.

            Ren Chu's lips twitched, a bemused expression crossing his features. “Sorry about that,” he said, his voice laced with amusement.

Wan Wan stepped back, her gaze dropping to the floor as she struggled to regain her composure. “No, I'm the one who should apologize. I didn't expect… I mean, I turned too quickly…”

He chuckled softly, a warm sound that washed away the embarrassment. “It's alright, really. My fault for not announcing myself properly.”

As the initial awkwardness dissipated, a shared laugh lingered between them. Wan Wan looked up, her eyes meeting Ren Chu's, and they exchanged a knowing smile.

“Looks like we both got caught off guard,” Wan Wan said, her voice returning to its usual steadiness.

Ren Chu nodded, his eyes twinkling with mirth. “Seems that way. I'm Ren Chu, by the way.”

Wan Wan smiled, feeling a newfound ease in his presence. “And I'm Lu Wan Wan. Nice to officially meet you, Ren Chu.”

            “My aunt told me that you will be my assistant today, so follow me and I will teach you the way,” he said, jokingly. She smiled and followed him out of the kitchen to the bar area. She looked around and was amazed by the decor of the wedding. It was so beautiful—from the centerpieces to the lighting to the wall décor—everything was just so beautiful. Ren Chu watched as she was amazed by the décor of the venue. “You like these things?” he asked her.

            “Of course. It’s every girl’s dream to have a beautiful wedding,” she said.

            “Oh? I didn’t think you were one to have that dream,” he said.

            “What makes you say that?”

            “I’m not sure. I feel that you are someone who would want an outdoor wedding. Maybe small. Just a few close friends,” he said. She raised her eyebrow, intrigued.

            “Oh?” she said. She glanced at him and can feel herself smiling.

            “So,” he said, “what were you and Li Wei talking about that you didn’t hear me coming up behind you?”

            “Cakes,” she said.

            “Cakes?” he said, surprised.

            “Yes, I’m a baker,” she said.

            “You? A baker?” he raised his eyebrow.

            “Yes, I am the president of the baking club at Xincheng University, although I am the only member.”

            “Xincheng University? You’re a student there?”

            “Yes, I’m a second year, well, I’ll be a second-year student come fall, but yes, I’m a student at Xincheng University.” He nodded his head but kept quiet.

            “Well, welcome to the bar,” he said, as they approached the bar. “Come, let me show you.” Lu Wan Wan followed him behind the bar and he showed the ropes behind the bar. Ren Chu grinned, “Alright, Wan Wan, time to step into the spotlight. Remember, bartending is an art that combines precision, flair, and a dash of charm. Let's start with the basics.”

            “Got it, Ren Chu! I'm ready to learn,” she said, nervously but excited.

            He hands her a shaker and a mixing glass. “First things first, let's master the art of shaking and stirring. It's all about the right technique. Here's how you do it.” He demonstrates the proper way to shake a cocktail, his movements fluid and confident. Lu Wan Wan watches him closely and then tried to copy his movements.

            “Am I doing it right?” she asked.

            “Almost there. Remember to keep a firm grip on the shaker, and give it a good shake with your wrist, not your whole arm. You're aiming for a smooth motion that cools and blends the ingredients without making a mess,” he said.

            After a few more tries, she starts to get the hang of it. He watches her, nodding his head as she masters the art of mixing. “Great job! Now, let's move on to stirring. Some cocktails, like martinis, prefer a gentler touch,” he said.  He continued to show the different techniques and she continued to master them after a few tries. “You are a natural,” he said, as the guest starts to walk in.  As the night wear on, they got to know each other better. Lu Wan Wan feels more comfortable him and found out that they have quite a lot in common.

            At the end of the night, they all met up at the van. They had packed everything into the van and now, they were deciding where they wanted to go afterwards. “Good job, everyone!” Zhu Yi Ran said. “Thank you for all of your hard work. Today was a great day. Please, please, do not get food poisoning this time. The last time, was a disaster.” Turning to Lu Wan Wan, “Here is my business card. Call me any time you want to help. This is your compensation for today.” She handed Lu Wan Wan an envelope with some cash.

            “Oh, no, you don’t have to pay for me tonight. Honestly, I only came out because my house was too big for me while my parents are working overtime. I saw your post and came out so that I can get away from the silence,” she said.

            “No, no, no. Take the money,” she said.

            “I don’t need it, really. Keep the money,” Lu Wan Wan said, as she refused to take the money. After some back and forth, Zhu Yi Ran finally gave in.

            “Okay, but next time, you’re taking the money,” she said. To the rest, “have a good night.” Everyone waved her off as she got into the catering van and drove off. They watched until the van disappeared from the sight.

            “Did you guys officially meet Lu Wan Wan?” Ren Chu said, nodding at me. “Guys, this is Lu Wan Wan.”

            “Xu Xin Yi,” the girl who was inside the van earlier introduced herself. “We meet earlier. I gave her directions to the kitchen.”

            “Ren Yu, we met at your house,” Ren Yu said.

            “That is Xu Xin Ru, she’s my younger sister,” Xu Xin Yi said. “Are you going to join us tonight?”

            “Um, no. I have to go back home. I kind of just impulsively came out last minute. Next time for sure,” Lu Wan Wan said.

            “Ok, next time,” Xu Xin Yi said. She waved them off and they pulled out of the driveway. She watched as they drove away. She got on her bike and made the short bike ride to her house. She entered her big, lonely house and made her way to her room. Her father was still at the hospital and her stepmother was still in Beihai filming her new drama. The house was quiet and dark, and the only light was the light in Lu Wan Wan’s room. She sat in her room, standing outside her balcony, staring at the stars. She should be sleeping for her internship in the morning.

            A month have gone and go since the day she met Delightful Bites Catering. Xu Xin Yi had become a close friend and Ren Chu was now her confidante. She enjoyed being with around them and the chaos that sometimes would occur during their shifts. With her father always at the hospital and her stepmother filming in a different province, spending them with the Delightful Bites Catering crew, made her feel like she belongs.

            A couple days after working a luncheon, she received a text from An Jia Xin, who haven’t text her for the past couple of weeks. We need to talk, in person. The text message has been bothering her for a few days nows.  She had not responded to his text. She had been sitting on it not sure what she should do.

---

            Under the shimmering twilight sky, the lively block party was in full swing, filling the air with an eclectic mix of laughter, music, and the delicious aroma of street food. Multicolored lights danced like fireflies around the makeshift stage, casting a vibrant glow on the surrounding scene. The heart of the event was a bustling crowd, a tapestry of diverse faces and personalities, all coming together to celebrate life's fleeting moments.

            Lu Wan Wan and Xu Xin Yi were nestled in the back of Xu Xin Yi’s new boyfriend’s truck. The truck's bed was draped with cushions and blankets, creating a comfortable nook where they could sit side by side, their legs dangling over the edge.  Lu Wan Wan had gone with Ren Chu, but he was meeting a friend, so she was sitting with Xu Xin Yi.

            Xu Xin Yi, leaning slightly against the truck's side, exuded a calm and composed aura. “You know,” Xu Xin Yi started, “it's moments like these that make you realize how vast and intricate life can be.”

            Lu Wan Wan nodded, as she watches Ren Chu talk to someone from the distance. “Right,” she said. Xu Xin Yi sensing something wrong with Lu Wan Wan by the tone of her voice.

            “Is something wrong?” she asked, taking a sip of her beer.

            Just as Lu Wan Wan was going to answer Xu Xin Yi’s question, there was a loud thud and then laughter can be heard coming from the group next to them and then a second later, a girl with her hair dyed blonde wearing a halter dress suddenly stumbled over to them. Xu Xin Yi and Lu Wan Wan looked at each other and then at the girl. “Hey,” she shouted, as she points to Lu Wan Wan. “I know you. Don’t I know you?”

            Lu Wan Wan can feel her face turning red and Xu Xin Yi’s eyes were on her. From her peripheral vision, she can see Ren Chu walking over with Ren Yu and Xu Xin Ru. Oh, great. More people to see my embarrassment. “Um, no, I don’t think so,” she said, with a forceful smile. The girl kept pointing at her and slurring her words.

            “No, I do know you. I do,” she said, as her friends laughed. Lu Wan Wan just wanted to hide as she starts to notice that more eyes were on them. Ren Chu, Ren Yu, and Xu Xin Ru had stopped walking and stopped to observe the scene before them. Xu Xin Yi’s eyes were glued on them and Lu Wan Wan was starting to feel so small in this big block party. The music was still thumping in the background, but she couldn’t hear anything but herself, gasping for air. Her vision starts to blur as she tried to focus elsewhere.

            “Li Jing, you’re so dumb and drunk,” a guy shouted, laughing at the girl in front of her.

            “Get you back here, you’re just embarrassing yourself. She clearly doesn’t know you,” another guy shouted, which caused the entire group to laugh.

            Li Jing looked at them briefly and then turned her attention back to Lu Wan Wan. “Oh , I know! We went to middle school and high school together, right? And you are dating Mr. Second Place! What was his name again?” she asked, snapping her fingers. “Oh, forget it. I forgot his name. Anyways, you are, what is your name. It’s on the tip of my tongue.”

            Lu Wan Wan stared at her blankly as she tried to remember her name. The longer Li Jing is talking, the smaller she feels. By this time, almost everyone in the surrounding area that can. hear their conversation is watching them. The group that she came from continued to laugh and joke about this exchange. “Anyways,” she said, “you’re the daughter of that famous doctor, right? The one that died a few years ago. Dr. Mei. That’s right! You’re Dr. Mei’s daughter. Didn’t she die during the college entrance exam? She was all over the news.” She was looking around to make the point.

            “Oh god, Li Jing,” a girl shouted out to her.

            Lu Wan Wan couldn’t breathe. Her heart stopped. Everything had stopped. The music. The laughter. The voices. Her biggest secret, the one thing that she wanted to keep herself was now out in the open. She had just celebrated her mother’s death anniversary a few weeks ago alone, and now this girl, this person, that she barely even talked to, was telling everyone her secret. She could barely breathe.

“Hey, Wan Wan, what's going on?” Ren Chu asked, concern etched on his face. For a moment, a short moment, hearing her name coming out from his mouth made her feel like she can just let go of everything and just cry. She looked up and Ren Chu was standing right next to Xu Xin Yi, staring right at her. There was a lump in . Li Jing turned around at the group that she was with and then turned back to Lu Wan Wan.

“Look,” she said, “I got to go, but there is something I want to tell you.” Lu Wan Wan's heart raced as she clung desperately to the edge of the truck's trunk, her knuckles turning white with the strength of her grip. She knew exactly what was coming and there was nothing, she can do to stop her. All she can do now is watch her world fall apart. “The thing is, no matter what anyone says about you, I don’t think that you are weird after what happened to your mother. I mean, losing someone like that and not being able to say goodbye because you were taking your college entrance exam. Not everyone can handle that you know. I mean, even with all that going on, you still made history as the second person ever to get a perfect score in Xincheng. The first person what, oh, shoot, what was his name. Oh wells, remember, you do you,” she said.

“Li Jing,” someone else shouted, “if you don’t hurry, we’re leaving you.” Li Jing gave Lu Wan Wan a hug and walked away. Lu Wan Wan finally let go of the edge of the trunk and sighed. It was painful watching all off this unfold before her. This was one of those moments that you wished you can just disappear. But she knew that it was impossible. There was always an after. So, she lifted up her head and looked at Xu Xin Yi, seeing that Ren Chu was staring at her, Ren Yu’s and Xu Xin Ru’s faces in her peripheral vision. She took a deep breath to say what she shouldn’t say, but before she can even get a chance, Xu Xin Yi put her hands on hers and smiled.

“You don’t have to explain herself to us,” she said.
            An hour later, they were sitting on the bed of the truck, looking at the stars, being honest. It might have been the night sky or the alcohol.  Lu Wan Wan wasn’t a drinker at all, since her mother died because of a drunk driver, so she it was a surprised to her that she had said yes to Xu Xin Yi when she offered to get her a beer, which she was no obligation to drink at all. She held her cup in her hand, swirling the beer around, without taking a sip. She had made a promise to herself that she will never drink after her mother’s death.

 

---

“Here’s the thing,” Xu Xin Yi said, “my last boyfriend, before this one, left me for dead in the middle of nowhere. Is it so hard to be the nice guy?” Lu Wan Wan find it funny that just an hour ago, she had had the worst night of her life, but now, she was just with her friend, as if the incident earlier has never happened. They did not question her or ask her about it. It was as if it never happened. After they sat in silence for a few minutes, Ren Chu and Ren Yu walked into the crowd to look for a friend who had promised Ren Yu the newest game, and the girls stargaze and talk about boys.

“What I really want is just a nice, smart boy. Someone who can keep me on my toes and remembers my name,” she said, pulling Lu Wan Wan back into the conversation.

            “Uh, no you don’t,” she said, staring at her drink. Only when she looked up did she noticed that the Xu sisters were staring at her, waiting for her to elaborate. “I mean,” she said, clearing . “I have a boyfriend like that. Or had. Or sort of have. I don’t know what our relationship is anymore.”

            “Oh, those are the worst kinds,” Xu Xin Yi said, wincing her face.

            “What are?” Lu Wan Wan asked, confused.

            “Sort of boyfriends,” she said, “you know, they sort of like you. They sort of don’t. They can’t make up their minds about you or what they want.”

            “Well...” Lu Wan Wan said, “it’s not really like that. I mean, we’re still together—”

            “I hear a but coming,” Xu Xin Yi said.

            “But—I don’t know. I mean, he’s away at one of his family’s hotels in Xuzhou right now. And I don’t know what happened but he kind of ghosted me for a few weeks or so. And then a few days after the luncheon, he texted me saying that he wants to talk to me in person. I haven’t responded to him yet—I don’t know.”

            “Um, interesting,” Xu Xin Yi said. “Maybe you should text him back.”

            “I don’t know,” she said, more to herself than to Xu Xin Yi.

            “You know what’s funny?” Xu Xin Yi asked.

            “What?” Lu Wan Wan said, raising her eyebrow.

            “That day when we met you, I told Xin Ru that you were taken. You just look like you have a boyfriend. And plus, you hardly reacted to Ren Chu when you two were tending the bar together. Don’t get me wrong, you did a little, but not like other girls. You didn’t gaga over him.”

            “Gaga?” Lu Wan Wan asked, shaking her head.

            “Oh, come one Wan Wan,” she said, taking a sip of her beer, “even a blind girl can tell that he’s hot.”

            “Yeah,” Xu Xin Ru said, in agreement.

            “So... why haven’t you two dated?” she asked.

            “Me and Ren Chu? Are you kidding me? He’s my cousin!” she said, laughing.

            “He’s your what now?” Lu Wan Wan asked, confused.

            “He’s my biao ge, his father is my maternal uncle,” she said.

            “Oh...” was all that Lu Wan Wan can managed to get out.

            “Anyways,” she said, “tell us about the sort of boyfriend. Or the boyfriend?”

            “Well,” she said, “we have been dating for a year and a half or so. But you can consider us, “childhood sweethearts.” His parents were friends with my parents, and they were also our neighbor. I spent most of my time at his house since my parents were also working late at the hospital or they were out of town for seminars. As Li Jing stated, my mother was a famous doctor. Well, she was a child psychologist and she had done a lot of research in helping kids overcome trauma or PTSD.”

            After a moment of silence, she knew that they wanted to her to continue. “Well, as I said, he’s in Xuzhou right now. He’s father sent him there to learn about their family’s business. He’s an intern at their hotel. The Starlight Hotel was the first one that his grandfather started from scratch, so his father wanted him there to start from the bottom. We were fine until a few weeks ago when he stopped talking to me. I couldn’t reach him and then all of a sudden, he texted me that he wanted to talk in person, whatever that means.”

            “So, maybe he found someone else,” she said.

            “I don’t know. I mean...” she said, trying to the right words, “I don’t know. I didn’t respond back to him. And it’s been a few days now.”

            “You know, you should text him,” she said.

            After a little while, the Xu sisters made their way to the crowd to look for Xin Yi’s DJ boyfriend. Lu Wan Wan fished out her phone and finally texted An Jia Xin after letting Xin Yi’s words echoed in her ears. Sure. When will you be in town? She sighed, staring at her phone. A ding came in a second later and she read the text.

            I should be back in Xincheng the day after tomorrow. Want me to meet you at the hospital?

            Sure.

            Ok. See you then.

            She stared at their conversation and sighed. She stuffs her phone back into her pockets and looked up to see Ren Chu staring down at her. She gave him a smile and raised her eyebrow.

            “Hey,” he said. “You seem busy on your phone so...”

            “Oh, no worries,” she said. “It’s nothing.”

            “Okay,” he said, “where’s everybody?”

            “Out there,” she said, pointing to the crowd.

            “Oh,” he said. He sat down next to her, and silence filled the air. They were both looking up at the stars, just admiring the night sky, without saying a word. That moment seemed to slow down as they sat in silence.

            “I’m sorry about your mother,” he said, breaking the silence air between them. She turned to look him, to come face to face with him. He was staring at her as he spoke those hard. Her heart started to beat faster as she stared into his eyes. “I remembered her, you know.”

            “You knew my mother?” she asked, surprised.

            “Of course, your mother was my pediatrician until she started doing research on child psychology and became a well-known child psychologist.”

            “I did not know that.”

            “There’s some things about me that you don’t know about,” he said, with a sly smile. She cocked her head to the side and smiled at him.

            “Time for curfew!” Ren Yu said, as he walked towards them with the Xu sisters and Xu Xin Yi’s boyfriend. Lu Wan Wan and Ren Chu jumped off the trunk of the truck and closed the trunk. Xin Yi said her goodbyes to her boyfriend, and they walked together to Ren Chu’s Jeep Wrangler. As they were talking to the car, Xin Yi pulled Wan Wan to the side and whispered, “what were you and Ren Chu talking about?”

            “My mother, why?”

            “You should have seen your face,” she said, her breath hot in Wan Wan’s ear, “gaga.”