Scent of Ambrosia

A Parallel World Novel B2: Crossed Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

AN:

 

Hello. Hope you'll enjoy reading this update. Happy Reading!

What do you think about the latest update? Don't forget to leave a comment on the comment section.

Btw, I have some news to share. I am happy to announce the upcoming release of the eBook version of Crossed Time on September 30, 2023. I am going to make an announcement soon about all the details you need to know about how you can secure your copy of the eBook. Thank you for your continued support and love. Until then, happy reading!

Peace,

W

 

*  *  *

 

The journey to King Jion’s castle stretched for hours, and by the time we reached Critias, my leg was throbbing from riding Blaze. However, as we entered the village, any weariness I felt seemed to disappear.

 

The sight of the sprawling, grand castle made of stone immediately caught my attention. It was sitting on the top of the hill, on each side were the sea and the forest. Then my gaze darted around. Everywhere I looked, everything seemed to be adorned in different vibrant colors from the awnings, pennants, flowers, and lanterns. It was a sight to behold, the village and the castle looking majestic.

 

As I took in my surroundings, I felt a strange sense of belongingness, as if I had unexpectedly stumbled on a forgotten fragment of my past.

 

This feeling went beyond what I had experienced in Braemar. As if everything felt familiar and I could feel it in my bones. If I had any doubts about my connection in Braemar, here, in Critias, I was sure a hundred percent that I’d been here before.

 

I was about to tell King Jion about it, but as we passed through the castle gates, my gaze widened at the unexpected scene that greeted me.

 

A group of two dozen knights clad in brown and blue jackets, white breeches, and black boots were gathered in the middle of the courtyard. Their horses were next to their sides, their faces dark as if they were preparing for war. But what caught my attention were the three men standing in front of the group, dressed in scarlet jackets, black breeches, and matching boots. They looked more lethal, dangerous, and deadly, setting them apart from the rest.

 

As Blaze carried us closer to them, all activity stopped, and the men turned their attention to our approach. In a perfectly synchronized motion, they bowed in unison, murmuring, “Your Majesty.”

 

King Jion flicked his hand, prompting them to straighten up. They assumed a formation, feet wide apart, hands at their backs—except for the three men at the forefront. They remained standing tall, awaiting our approach.

 

Among them, a tall, imposing man caught my eye, his handsome features marred by a deep scowl, his arms crossing over his chest as his gaze remained fixed on King Jion. Eventually, his intense gaze shifted toward me, his piercing eyes making me shiver.

 

As we drew nearer, King Jion brought Blaze to a halt. “What is happening?” he asked, dismounting. “Has a monster attacked some village again?”

 

The tall man stepped forward, incredulity written across his face. “What is happening? You vanish for three days, and you dare to ask what is happening, Sire? We were about to launch a search for you.”

 

King Jion remained unfazed by the man’s anger. “Well, I am here now,” he retorted coolly.

 

The tall man seemed ready to retort, but before he could, a man with tanned skin, dark brown eyes, and a stud earring in his left ear spoke.

 

“Who is that?” he asked, pointing in my direction as though I were a spectacle.

 

As the other men’s attention shifted to me, a bead of sweat trickled down my back under the weight of their scrutiny.

 

The intensity of their gazes made me shift uncomfortably on Blaze’s back, feeling like I was under a magnifying glass. The tall man’s piercing eyes remained locked on me, assessing and almost calculating. It was as if he could see right through me, dissecting my every thought and emotion.

 

King Jion’s voice cut through the charged atmosphere. “She’s with me,” he stated, helping me to get off Blaze.

 

The man with the stud earring raised an eyebrow, looking at me up and down. “With you, Sire? Where did you… pick her up?” he asked, scrunching his nose in a mild distaste.

 

Pick me up?

 

What did he think I was?

 

A stray dog?

 

Well, I admit, I might come across as a stray… but I was not a dog.

 

“He didn’t pick me up,” I retorted with a snap, feeling offended.

 

Mr. Stud’s head snapped back, his eyes widening as they darted between King Jion and me. I noticed the others had the same surprised expression as their gazes settled on their king.

 

“Why does she…?” The tall man chimed in.

 

King Jion answered him with a nod, as if he had already anticipated the unspoken question. “I think she is not from here.”

 

“Like Her Majesty?” The man next to Mr. Stud asked. He and King Jion had the same eyes.

 

Her Majesty?

 

Who could that possibly be?

 

“She lost her memories, so I am not certain, but it is a possibility,” the king answered.

 

Tension enveloped the air as their expressions became grim and guarded. King Jion then directed his attention to the formation of men.

 

“Return to your duties,” he commanded, a hint of authority in his tone, before focusing his gaze back on the trio. “Let us head to my study and talk.”

 

The group dispersed, gradually resuming their tasks while the four men entered the castle, their shoulders stiff and face grave. I watched them until they vanished beyond the massive doors, and then my attention shifted to one of the knights who was guiding Blaze away in a certain direction.

 

Wait…

 

Had the King forgotten about me?

 

A wave of unease washed over me. I didn’t know where to go and the king just left me standing alone in the middle of his castle courtyard.

 

My fingers fidgeted with the fabric of my dress, uncertainty gnawing at me. Should I follow him to his study, or was I meant to stay here and wait for him?

 

Just as I was about to decide on my next move, a firm grip on my elbow startled me. The voice that followed was sharp, cutting through the air like a blade.

 

“What are you doing here?” The question was laced with impatience and annoyance.

 

I turned my head to face a woman who was wearing an ankle-length brown gown, a pristine white apron neatly tied around her waist, and a simple cap crowning her head.

 

“Uh, what?” I asked, too perplexed as I let her drag me.

 

“What do you mean ‘what’?” she retorted, irritation dripping from her words. “Giuseppe told you to report to the kitchen once you arrive at the castle.”

 

Giuseppe?

 

“Um… Miss, I believe there’s been a…”

 

Before I could complete my sentence, she pulled me through a nearby door, and the moment we entered, the smells of sizzling meats and fres

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter