Proper Clothes

A Parallel World Novel B2: Crossed Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

AN:

Hello.

Don't forget to share your thoughts on the latest update!  Happy Reading! :D

Anyway, I want to announce that the ebook version of Crossed Time will be available soon. I am going to post an announcement about all the details you need to know about when will be the released and how you can secure your own copy of the eBook. Thank you for your continued support. Stay safe everyone. :D

 

W

 

 

*  *  *

 

“Are you certain I’ve never worked here before?” I asked Daria one more time, my shoulders slumping in disappointment.

 

After King Jion introduced me to Daria and Lucio as his friend. I saw Lucio’s eyes widen before he offered me a profuse apology for his rude behavior. Opting to let go of any resentment since there were more important things I had to prioritize, I forgave him, and then I approached Daria, asking her if I could speak to her privately. She had agreed and invited us to her modest office at the back of the tavern.

 

During our conversation, King Jion stood behind me. At first, I had offered him the only guest chair in the room, but he just gave me a pointed look that made it clear he expected me to occupy it before positioning himself to stand behind me. In a strange way, his unspoken support offered me comfort and reassurance, a reminder that I wasn’t going through this alone.

 

Daria offered me a kind smile, shaking his head. “No, my lady. You have not.”

 

A sense of disappointment settled within me. My fleeting hope that this place might hold a connection to my past was starting to fade.

 

I hesitated before voicing my thoughts. “I felt as though I’ve been here before. Could I have been one of your patrons?”

 

Daria’s expression remained sympathetic but firm. “I am here day in and day out, attending to patrons. I can say with certainty that I have never seen you here before, my lady.”

 

I cast my eyes downward, a whirlwind of emotions churning within me. Dejection, frustration, and above all, an overwhelming sense of confusion. If I had never set foot here before, then why did I feel an uncanny sense of familiarity in this place?

 

As the weight of disappointment settled within me, I sighed softly, my gaze drifting to the worn wooden floor of the office.

 

Daria’s soothing voice interrupted my thoughts, her tone gentle and empathetic. “Perhaps the feeling of familiarity comes from somewhere else, my lady. Our minds can be quite mysterious in the way they evoke emotions and memories.”

 

I looked up at her, appreciating her attempt to comfort me. “You might be right, Daria. It’s just... frustrating not to remember anything.”

 

Daria’s eyes softened, b with understanding. “I can only imagine how difficult that must be. But maybe, with time, some of those memories will resurface.”

 

Resignation flooded over me. I knew Daria was right, but it’s hard to navigate in a world when you know nothing. It was like a newborn baby and everything felt like new.

 

I took a deep breath, a small smile curling my lips. “Perhaps you’re right. Maybe it will come back soon enough. All I just need is to wait and be patient,” I replied. “Thank you, Daria.”

 

Daria nodded. “You are welcome, my lady. Should you need anything else, please do not hesitate to ask me.”

 

With a sense of gratitude, I stood from my chair and thanked her once more. When I turned to King Jion, his gaze met mine.

 

He inclined his head slightly to me before shifting his attention to Daria. “Thank you for your help, Daria.”

 

Daria rose to her feet, bowing slightly at the king. “You are most welcome, Your Majesty.”

 

With a final appreciative glance at Daria, I made my way out of the small office, with King Jion following behind me.

 

Once outside, the bustle of the tavern greeted me, and I couldn’t help but be frustrated and confused all the more.

 

How could this place feel so familiar when I had no connection to it?

 

As soon as we exited from The Tavern Meal, I turned to King Jion. “Thank you for standing up for me earlier,” I said softly, my voice tinged with appreciation.

 

His response was only a tilt of his head before he proceeded to walk. I followed him, falling into step next to him.

 

After a short moment of internal deliberation, I decided to address the elephant in the room. “Your Majesty,” I began tentatively.

 

His gaze flickered to me, an expectant expression on his face.

 

“Um... I’m… I’m sorry for shouting at you, for calling you an , and openly disrespecting you,” I confessed, my voice tentative. “Though it’s not entirely my fault, I didn’t know who you were and honestly, you’re such a jerk someti…” I trailed off, biting my lip when I realized the implications of my honesty.

 

Too much honesty.

 

His eyebrow rose, and a glint of amusement filled his eyes. “Are you certain you are offering an apology?”

 

I averted my gaze, my cheeks going red from embarrassment. “Well, yes, I am, but it’s the truth. Sometimes, you can be a bit of a jerk,” I mumbled under my breath.

 

To my surprise, I heard him snort, and he continued walking without offering a response. It was unusual for him not to react to what I had said. Normally, he would get grumpy and say jerkish things to me.

 

I quickened my pace to keep up with his long strides. “You’re not upset?”

 

He glanced my way, his expression curious. “Upset about what?”

 

“That I’m being too honest?” I asked in an uncertain voice.

 

“Honesty is a rare trait, especially in the presence of royalty.”

 

A nervous laugh escaped me, a hint of awkwardness in the sound. “Well, I’ve never been one to hold back, Your Majesty.”

 

“Clearly,” he scoffed, stopping abruptly before turning toward me. “We are here.”

 

My brows furrowed as I directed my attention to the dress shop that now stood before us. I was so focused on our conversation that I hadn’t been paying attention to our destination.

 

“What are we doing here?” I asked as he swung the door open. He motioned for me to enter, and I took a step inside.

 

Inside, the shop was an array of vibrant colors, luxurious textures, and intricate decorations. The walls were covered in tapestries that showed majestic themes, including royal courts and beautiful gardens. Sunlight came through colored glass windows, making patterns on the shiny wooden floors.

 

In the middle of the shop, there were mannequins wearing stunning and beautiful gowns. These gowns were like art pieces, made from soft materials like silk and velvet. Adornments of fancy sewing, pearls, and lace embellished them. It seemed like each dress had a story about the skilled people who made them.

 

My attention flicked to the corner of the shop that had special cases with jewelry and pretty things, like delicate gloves and feathered fans. These things sparkled like stars. There was also a big mirror in the middle to let people see how they looked in the dresses.

 

Confused, my gaze darted to the king, who was standing next to me, his eyes scanning around. “You know, I can wait outside,” I informed him in a low voice.

 

He stared at me, raising a curious brow. “And why would you do that?” he murmured back.

 

“I don’t want to get in trouble again,” I hissed, my voice still low.

 

Deep lines creased his forehead. “For what?” he whispered.

 

I rolled my eyes in exasperation. Was he really dense? “Have you seen how I look? I look like a beggar,” I whispered back before my brows creased when I noticed something. “Why are we whispering?”

 

He stiffened before closing his eyes, the muscle in his jaw clenching. Then he opened his caramel ones, sending me an icy glare. “Because you are ing w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter