Miracle

Miracle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SEOUL, MARCH 10, 2016

 

"Let's see if the machine will work this time!!!" exclaimed a petite figure with very fair skin. Her face was bright with a wide and sweet smile, having just completed her invention.

 

"So, who's going to be the guinea pig this time?" asked her friend, also of short stature, glancing at her fair-skinned companion. This was because her friend had just finished her invention.

 

"Of course, we're using an actual rabbit this time and attaching a small camera to its body. Why would you even think we'd use a person, Chaeng?" replied the fair-skinned individual with a tone of slight frustration and confusion, as her friend's question seemed to suggest she was someone crazy, deliberately using a human as the first-stage experimental subject.

 

"You know, Dahyun, last week you used the last rabbit with the same result – failure. And since then, it hasn't returned" Chaeyoung answered casually.

 

"Oh, come on, we can buy another one, right?" Dahyun inquired, growing increasingly puzzled about how much they'd have to spend on a single rabbit.

 

"Unfortunately, we spent that money on repairing our house after the recent storm and buying some necessities for the four of us until next month" Chaeng replied, walking over to a chair and sitting down, sipping the morning tea that had been technically made by their beloved eonnie.

 

"Really? I know we need food and other supplies, but it can't be that much in expenses, can it? What's wrong with the storm, and what's wrong with our house?" Dahyun continued questioning rapidly, now sitting beside Chaeyoung.

 

Chaeyoung let out a soft sigh. She knew her friend hadn't left this room for the past two weeks, so she was confident her friend wouldn't know what had happened outside during that time.

 

Furthermore, this room was situated above, specifically in their attic. A bathroom was available here too, so if Dahyun needed to use the restroom or anything else, she wouldn't need to go all the way downstairs. In addition, their kind eonnie had taken good care of them, including providing for their needs, so Dahyun didn't have to leave the room to eat or even drink.

 

"You know, Tzuyu just finished her art project for the festival by making a miniature glass Eiffel Tower. It's even a bit taller than our house, and the storm was really intense" Chaeyoung explained calmly.

 

"And don't tell me that it—" Dahyun was about to finish her sentence, only to receive a nod from Chaeyoung.

 

"Besides damaging a side of our house, the storm also devastated Tzuyu's project. Whether she liked it or not, she had to start over from scratch. Nayeon eonnie and I agreed to buy new materials for Tzuyu's project that was destroyed by the storm," Chaeyoung explained.

 

After hearing Chaeyoung's words, Dahyun's expression turned surprised. She was concerned about her other friend, Tzuyu, whose project was destroyed by the storm.

 

Seeing her friend's expression, Chaeyoung, concerned about Tzuyu, immediately understood and told Dahyun that Tzuyu was now fine.

 

"Don't worry, for now, Tzuyu is okay, and she has also completed her project today."

 

Dahyun let out a soft sigh. She felt guilty for being too absorbed in her invention project, not paying attention to her friends and eonnie for the past few days. More precisely, for the past few weeks.

 

Dahyun's negative thoughts vanished as her eonnie arrived with breakfast and instructed her to eat. Seeing this, Dahyun quickly stopped her eonnie.

 

"Eonnie, it's okay, don't put the food here" Dahyun said. Nayeon, puzzled by Dahyun's words, was about to ask, but before she could, Dahyun continued.

 

"I want to eat with all of you, eonnie" Dahyun said, showing her smile. Nayeon, hearing this, smiled and nodded.

 

"Alright then, you two hurry down and have breakfast together. Tzuyu has been waiting for a while" Nayeon said and quickly went downstairs.

 

"Ne, eonnie" Dahyun and Chaeyoung replied. Dahyun thought that she should make up for her mistake by giving her friends and eonnie some free time.
 

.

 

They have been living together in a modest two-story house with an attic on the second floor. The house also has a small garage that can accommodate one car and a few bicycles.

 

Before living together as they do now, they had naturally known each other since they were young, around when the three of them were seven years old and Nayeon was nine, and for Dahyun, Chaeyoung, and Tzuyu.

 

They had known each other even longer, back to when they were very young, or you could say when they were still babies. This was because their parents had been friends since high school, so their children also became friends, and for Nayeon, she was Chaeyoung's family neighbor.

 

When Chaeyoung introduced Nayeon to her two friends, it happened during the summer when their families planned a vacation together. Since it was summer break for Nayeon as well, she was invited by Chaeyoung's family to join their vacation.

 

At first, Nayeon was enthusiastic about vacationing with her kind neighbor, whom she even considered her little sister. As for Nayeon's family, they had no objections to her vacationing with Chaeyoung's family, as Nayeon's parents were busy with work and couldn't accompany her on vacation. They were grateful that at least their daughter wouldn't be bored just staying home during summer break.

 

Due to her excitement, Nayeon forgot that there were Chaeyoung's friends whom she hadn't met yet. Negative thoughts started to fill her mind, even though they had just departed for the vacation. She wondered if Chaeyoung's friends would like her or vice versa, until suddenly, Nayeon realized they had arrived.

 

Both of them got out of the car and went straight to the beach. Yes, they were going to vacation at the beach and stay there. Not long after they got out of the car, Dahyun's and Tzuyu's families arrived and approached Chaeyoung's family.

 

Young Dahyun and young Tzuyu noticed someone unfamiliar with Chaeyoung and became curious, approaching Chaeyoung and the stranger.

 

"Hi, Chaeng, how are you?" young Dahyun and young Tzuyu asked Chaeyoung, immediately hugging young Chaeyoung.

 

"I'm very, very good, and how about you?" young Chaeyoung replied enthusiastically. She asked her two friends the same question and returned their hug.

 

"We're good too, Chaeng" they both said, then released their hug.

 

"Chaeng, who is the pretty eonnie behind you?" young Dahyun asked Chaeyoung, then approached Nayeon with her sweet smile.

 

"Oh, that's my eonnie. She lives next door to me" Chaeyoung replied.

 

"Annyeong haseyo~ eonnie, I'm Kim Dahyun. You can call me Dahyun, or if you don't mind, eonnie, you can call me Dubu, just like Chaeng and Tzuyu" Dahyun introduced herself to Nayeon while maintaining her smile.

 

Nayeon, seeing Dahyun introducing herself so friendly and smiling, made her previous negative thoughts disappear instantly. Without waiting any longer, young Nayeon smiled back at Dahyun and introduced herself.

 

"Annyeong, I'm Im Nayeon. You can call me Nayeon or just eonnie, same as Chaeng who usually calls me Dubu-ya~" Nayeon introduced herself kindly.

 

Hearing Nayeon's response, Dahyun smiled widely and continued to introduce Tzuyu. "Ne~ eonnie, and also, let me introduce her, she's Tzuyu" Dahyun said while introducing Tzuyu kindly.

 

"Annyeong eonnie, I'm Chou Tzuyu. You can call me Tzuyu" Tzuyu introduced herself to Nayeon.

 

"Annyeong, Tzuyu. I'm Im Nayeon" Nayeon said with a smile.

 

Since that vacation, the four of them became closer day by day, and the days they spent together were always enjoyable. They supported each other through every challenge and difficulty that came their way, strengthening their bond of friendship sincerely.

 

Now, none of them felt lonely, as they always had each other as true friends and even as a family. Their past, filled with beautiful memories, became a strong foundation for their friendship up to the present day.

 

.

.

 

On the dining table, a spread of food that each of the four of them liked had been neatly arranged. Tzuyu sat calmly, waiting for her eonnie to join her for the meal. Eventually, three figures descended from the upper floor and made their way to the dining table, greeted by Tzuyu's warm smile.

 

"Are you joining us for a meal today, Dahyun eonnie?" Tzuyu asked Dahyun with a smile still on her face. Due to the slight between Dahyun and Tzuyu, Tzuyu referred to Dahyun as eonnie.

 

"Yes, I haven't eaten with you all in a while because I haven't left that room" Dahyun replied, starting to pull her chair to sit down and glancing at the array of dishes her eonnie had prepared.

 

"Wow~ the food today looks really delicious" Dahyun commented after sitting down, then surveyed the dishes on the table.

 

"Of course! Who was the one who cooked it?" Nayeon responded with a proud smile.

 

"Well then, let's start eating. Tzuyu has been waiting for a while" she continued.

 

"Ne~ eonnie~" they chimed.

 

During the meal, a serene atmosphere and comfort filled the dining area. Of course, there were also the sounds of clinking dishes. But a moment later, the room suddenly became quite noisy as a small argument and laughter filled the space.

 

"Heeyy~ come on, stop arguing about that, hahaha" Nayeon said, still chuckling at Dahyun and Chaeyoung's antics.

 

"It can't be, eonnie. It was Chaeng's fault" Dahyun insisted.

 

"What did you say? It was clearly your fault, Hyun. Why are you still blaming me?" Chaeyoung retorted, not accepting it.

 

"Hahaha, Dahyun eonnie, it's enough. Chaeng is both of your faults, hahaha" Tzuyu said, still laughing, enjoying the cute bickering between her two friends.

 

From a different perspective, Nayeon continued to smile, watching the interactions among all her younger siblings. "Sigh~ I miss moments like this, when we're all together" Nayeon said, her smile remaining genuine.

 

And with Nayeon's words, the atmosphere suddenly shifted to quietness. What was once a debate between Dahyun and Chaeyoung and Tzuyu's laughter now became calm.

 

In that moment, the three of them turned their gaze to their eonnie, who was wearing a genuinely warm smile. Instantly, their eyes welled up with tears.

 

Feeling the same longing for such moments, Dahyun felt deeply guilty. She realized she had been too focused on her project, not sparing even a bit of time for her eonnie and the two friends she clearly considered as her own family.

 

"I'm sorry, eonnie" Dahyun said, her eyes glistening with tears.

 

"And I'm sorry too, Tzu, for being so caught up with that foolish project that I didn't realize you, who I consider both family and my own sister, were dealing with a significant problem" Dahyun continued, looking at Tzuyu, who also had a sad expression and teary eyes.

 

"What are you talking about, eonnie? You're not at fault at all" Tzuyu said.

 

"And what do you mean by a foolish project, eonnie? Isn't that a big project for you, to continue your studies abroad easily?" Tzuyu added.

 

"Yes, but it doesn't mean anything if you all, who are by my side, aren't there. All of you are family to me, you're precious. So please forgive me for being so absorbed in that foolish project and not paying attention to the issues around us" Dahyun apologized sincerely, looking into the eyes of each of the three of them.

 

Suddenly, Nayeon stood up from her seat, walked over to Dahyun, and tightly hugged her. "It's okay, it's all in the past, and the three of us have already forgiven you, Dahyun-na. Isn't that right, Chaeng, Tzuyu?" Nayeon asked her other two younger siblings.

 

"Ne, of course, eonnie" Chaeyoung and Tzuyu said in unison, then proceeded to hug Dahyun tightly.

 

"Gomawo, everyone. I cherish all of you so much" Dahyun said, deeply moved, almost shedding tears.

 

"Are you crying, Hyun?" Chaeyoung asked, seeing Dahyun's eyes glistening with tears.

 

"Ani, it's just dust in my eyes" Dahyun explained, met with laughter from the other three.

 

"Ugh, you guys are so annoying" Dahyun pouted.

 

"Hahaha, come on, let's better tidy up the dining table, then we can enjoy more time together" Nayeon suggested.

 

"Ne, eonnie" the three of them replied in unison.

 

After tidying up the dining table and finishing dinner with laughter and happiness, they all sat together in the living room. They shared stories of beautiful memories from the past, laughed together, and provided support to one another.

 

Their closeness and togetherness grew stronger, and they promised to always watch over and support each other, no matter what happens. In that moment, they felt that true friendship and the bond of family were the most beautiful things in their lives. Together, they believed that there was nothing they couldn't face, because they were true friends and loving siblings.

 

.

.

.

.

 

SEOUL, MARCH 11, 2016

 

"Waaah~ isn't this quite serious?" Dahyun exclaimed as she observed the aftermath of the storm that had hit their house, specifically the damaged roof from a few days ago.

 

"Yeah, actually, it's already much better than a few days ago because Tzuyu and I managed to fix a part of it" Chaeyoung replied to Dahyun's comment.

 

"Alright then. I'll take care of the rest" Dahyun said as she began to climb the stairs leading up to the roof.

 

"Are you sure about this, Hyun? You won't forget, will you?" Chaeyoung shouted at Dahyun, who was now on the roof. Due to the distance between them, Chaeyoung had to raise her voice to be heard by Dahyun.

 

"Don't worry, Chaeng! It's not too high, so I'm not scared at all!" Dahyun shouted back. In reality, she was starting to feel a bit scared due to the height, but she brushed off the feeling to make up for her mistake by completing this task.

 

"Alright, Hyun! Please be careful!" Chaeyoung shouted again, and Dahyun responded with another shout of "Got it!" from the rooftop.

 

After a few hours, Dahyun successfully repaired the roof of their house. "Haah~ finally done, just like the result of a professional's work, right? Hahaha, I'm good at everything" she exclaimed with a sigh of relief, proudly displaying a smile on her face.

 

"Hyun-na, come down if you're finished. Eonnie has prepared warm tea and some snacks for all four of us" Nayeon called out to Dahyun, who was still admiring her handiwork.

 

"Ne~ eonnie, I'll be down shortly" Dahyun replied.

 

"Be careful when you come down, Dahyun-na" Nayeon added with a warm smile.

 

"Ne~" Once Dahyun descended, a large open-back truck suddenly pulled up in front of their house. Dahyun walked towards her eonnie, looking puzzled and curious at the sight of the massive truck. Nayeon, noticing Dahyun's confused expression, quickly explained.

 

"That truck is here to help Tzuyu transport her miniature Eiffel Tower for the art festival next week. Also, isn't there a science fair at your school the week after the art festival? You're planning to showcase one of your ongoing projects at the science fair, right?" Nayeon clarified, directly asking about Dahyun's current project.

 

"Ne, eonnie. But I think I'll use my backup project, which I completed a few months ago, for that. I'm also considering stopping the current project I'm working on, as it seems to have failed to function properly. Anyway, I'll still secure my scholarship for overseas studies with my backup project" Dahyun explained, observing the people Tzuyu had hired to help transport her artwork.

 

"Wae, Dahyun-na? Isn't that project very important to you? You said it was a spectacular project to showcase to everyone" Nayeon asked while also watching the people struggling to lift Tzuyu's artwork.

 

"Hahaha, you're right, eonnie. But it seems that project failed to function properly. Don't worry about me, I'll calm Tzuyu down, who seems very worried about her artwork. I'll use my backup project for the fair" Dahyun laughed a little. She noticed the difficulty the people were having with Tzuyu's artwork and saw the worried expression on Tzuyu's face regarding the safety of her creation.

 

"But-" Nayeon's sentence was cut off by Dahyun.

 

"It's okay, eonnie. You better comfort Tzuyu, who seems very concerned about her artwork, hahaha. I'm going to go inside and take a shower" Dahyun interrupted, then headed indoors to clean up. She had sweated quite a bit while repairing the roof under the scorching sun.

 

"Haaah, that kid" Nayeon sighed, shaking her head at her stubborn younger sibling's behavior. Nayeon then walked over to where Tzuyu was standing.

 

.

.

.

.

 

SEOUL, MARCH 13, 2016

 

DAHYUN'S POV

 

"Hmm..., When was that again?" I mumbled to myself. Right now, I'm in the attic with Chaeyoung and Tzuyu.

 

"What are you looking for, eonnie?" Tzuyu asked, observing me as I seemed puzzled while searching for something on my desk.

 

"Ah, there it is. Currently, I'm looking for the document containing data from my experimental rabbits, Tzuyu-ya. I forgot when was the last time I sent those rabbits away, so I need that document" I explained to Tzuyu.

 

"Then, I'll help you find it, eonnie" Tzuyu replied.

 

"Gomawo, Tzuyu-ya" I smiled after receiving help from Tzuyu. She's truly a good kid, isn't she?

 

"So, what kind of document are we looking for, eonnie?" Tzuyu inquired, ready to help me search for the document I needed.

 

"It's a brown folder labeled 'Confidential Experiment' Tzuyu-ya" I said while continuing to search for the document on my desk. Tzuyu nodded in response.

 

While Tzuyu and I were searching for my project document, Chaeyoung on the other side was casually playing games on her smartphone, completely ignoring Tzuyu's and my search. Is she still mad at me?

 

"Aaaarrrrhhh, where could that document be?" I exclaimed in frustration as Tzuyu and I had been searching for it for almost an hour! Seriously, where did I put it? Ugh, typical Dahyun.

 

"Relax, eonnie. Maybe the document got mixed up among your old papers" Tzuyu said, trying to calm me down.

 

"For now, let's take a short break and have some tea, okay, eonnie?" Tzuyu suggested, and I responded with a resigned nod. It seems like I do need a momentary break.

 

Several minutes later, after Tzuyu and I decided to take a brief break, Chaeyoung suddenly stood up and pocketed her smartphone. It seemed like she had finished playing games on her phone. Chaeyoung then walked towards the bookshelf in the attic. Inside the bookshelf, there were some of my collections, stacks of papers, and folders.

 

After standing in front of the bookshelf for a while, Chaeyoung picked up a folder with a smile, revealing her sweet dimples. She then walked back towards us, who were taking a break, while holding a cup of warm tea in each of her hands. I raised an eyebrow while observing the folder Chaeyoung handed me.

 

"Why are you just standing there, Hyun? Isn't this the document you're looking for?" Chaeyoung asked, extending her hand holding the folder, her smile still present since earlier.

 

"No way... could it be?" Hearing Chaeyoung's words, I didn't hesitate any longer. I placed the tea cup on the table and grabbed the folder from Chaeyoung's hand.

 

After taking the folder from Chaeyoung, I quickly flipped it open. And there it was, the words 'Confidential Experiment' written on it, causing a smile to form on my face. Oh my goodness, why didn't you help earlier, Chaeng?

 

"Gomawoyo, Chaeng" I said while giving Chaeyoung a sweet smile.

 

"I'm glad you're happy" Chaeyoung replied, nodding her head while maintaining her proud smile, then she returned to her original sitting position.

 

END OF POV

 

.

 

"Chaeng, why didn't you just look for it from the beginning? I know you knew where the folder was, right?" Tzuyu whispered to Chaeyoung, making sure Dahyun couldn't hear.

 

"Hahaha, of course. I just wanted to enjoy the sight of Dahyun's panicked and serious face for a while, and it was really funny, Tzuyu-ya" Chaeyoung replied with a small laugh while watching Dahyun who was focused on the documents inside the folder.

 

"You say 'for a while'? We've been looking for it for almost an hour, Chaeng!" Tzuyu retorted in frustration, then shifted her gaze towards Dahyun.

 

"Mianhe~ Tzuyu-ya~" Chaeyoung replied guiltily, as she realized she had let Tzuyu search with Dahyun for nearly an hour.

 

"Ah~ here it is!!! It was just a few days ago, huh" Dahyun mumbled.

 

"Why? What's wrong, eonnie?"

 

"It's nothing, I just feel like it's been longer. Turns out it was just a few days ago" Dahyun replied, refocusing her attention on the sheets of paper she was holding.

 

"Hmm... February 29th? That happened last month" Dahyun mumbled while staring at her project that she now considered a failure.

 

"Alright then, I guess this project is complete with a failure" Dahyun declared loudly. She then walked over to her desk and picked up a stamp that had the word 'Resolved' on it. Quickly, she stamped the word on top of the project folder she had been working on for the past few years.

 

This action surprised both Chaeyoung and Tzuyu. "Are you sure about this, Hyun?"

 

"Absolutely, I'm very certain about this decision" Dahyun replied firmly.

 

"But eonnie, this pro-" Tzuyu's sentence was cut off by Dahyun.

 

"It's okay, you don't need to worry. I'll still get the scholarship with my other project" Dahyun said, showing her completed work that she had finished a few weeks ago, just before she sent off the last experimental rabbit to who knows which dimension.

 

"And of course, this is just as cool as my failed project. Look at this!" Dahyun proudly showed her work, leaving her two friends bewildered and trying to understand what she meant.

 

"Eonnie, but that's just sheet music" Tzuyu said after recovering from her surprise, quickly snapping out of her open-mouthed shock.

 

"Come on, why are you both so surprised? I'll play this at the right time."

 

"But- uh, when is that right time? We- I mean, you, Dahyun, don't have much time left before we graduate, right?" Chaeyoung asked, now fully recovering from her surprise, though felt a bit tight as she uttered the words.

 

"Exactly, and that's why I'm going to participate in this competition right away, so you don't need to worry about my musical talent, right?" Dahyun answered confidently, responding to Chaeyoung's question and handing her a brochure.

 

Specifically, she had gotten it from someone who was also looking at the brochure, and this happened yesterday when Dahyun went outside for some fresh air.

 

Flashback POV Dahyun

 

As I walked out of the house towards the park, the sunlight illuminated my path with warmth. The clear blue sky adorned the surroundings, brightening my steps. I felt the gentle breeze brushing against my skin, causing my hair to sway softly around my face. The cheerful melodies of birds singing from the tree branches added to the vibrant morning ambiance.

 

During my journey, I noticed someone strolling along, enjoying the beauty of the morning while reading a brochure with a smile on their face. It sparked my curiosity.

 

Without hesitation, I approached the person and reached out to take the brochure, driven by an overwhelming sense of curiosity. With enthusiasm, I asked, "Is this for me?"

 

My eyes gleamed, and my warm smile prompted the person to gladly hand over the brochure to me. I expressed my sincere gratitude. The beauty of this morning filled my heart with joy. I sensed that something special was unfolding in my life.

 

Upon reaching the park, the bright and refreshing atmosphere continued to captivate me. I chose a spot to sit beneath a shady tree. The sound of trickling water from a nearby fountain filled my ears, creating a soothing ambiance.

 

Sitting in this beautiful park, I allowed myself to contemplate with a mix of thoughts and emotions. I carefully read through the contents of the brochure, and my enthusiasm swelled within me. My heart raced at the opportunity to participate in the competition that everyone had been eagerly anticipating.

 

Without hesitation, I made the decision to join the competition. In my heart, I was determined to give my best and express myself fully. My enthusiasm burned brighter, and I felt incredibly fortunate to have stumbled upon the brochure, confident that this was the right moment to reach for my dreams.

 

"Isn't participating in an art competition more fitting for me than a scientific one?" I mused to myself and began my journey back home.

 

End flashback POV Dahyun

 

.

.

.

.

 

SEOUL, FEBRUARY 27, 2040

The tranquil night enveloped a part of Seoul, its streets bathed in the soft glow of the moonlight hidden behind thin clouds. Only a few souls wandered the midnight, casting dark shadows in narrow alleys. Groups huddled together in small shops, their animated conversations echoing amidst the calm night.

 

Meanwhile, weary pedestrians hurried home, their faces reflecting the exhaustion of a long and eventful day. The hum of passing vehicles and the chirping of crickets added a touch of realism to the serene city night. They longed to reach home and embrace the comfort of their beds, a refuge from the world's demands.

 

In the distance, tall buildings shimmered with lights, adding to the allure of a city that never sleeps. The cool night air made each breath visible, intertwining with the city's bustling yet tranquil rhythm.

 

Music flowed from shop fronts, laughter from late-night wanderers, and footsteps echoed on the streets, breathing life into a memorable Seoul night.

 

Everything felt vivid, as if the night held unique stories concealed in every corner. As the night grew deeper, the city lights dimmed, and the night grew quieter. Some still lingered outside, soaking in Seoul's distinctive nighttime ambiance, while others sought solace within their homes.

 

With the moonlight intensifying, the Seoul night continued, shrouded in secrets and beautiful memories for all who experienced it. The clock struck 11:58 PM KST, the night deepened, and the silence in the narrow, dark alley grew more profound. The faint moonlight barely illuminated the alley, casting eerie shadows in every corner.

 

Yet, the silence was shattered by swift footsteps drawing closer. The sound of pounding hearts accompanied a girl emerging from the darkness, running with determination etched across her face. As the moonlight illuminated her, her expression revealed both fear and unwavering resolve in her eyes.

 

She fought to evade the danger that pursued her. Three imposing figures, large and muscular, chased her with relentless, pitiless determination. The gap between the girl and her pursuers narrowed. Her heart raced faster, but she did not give in. She kept running, pushing herself to find safety and salvation.

 

Amidst the darkness of the narrow alley, her courage shone through every step. Despite lurking fear, her determination to endure remained steadfast. She knew she had to keep fighting and running, to escape the looming threat. Looking over her shoulder, her face turned pale with exhaustion and anxiety. She felt trapped in a never-ending pursuit. Still, a small glimmer of hope burned within her, fuelling her spirit.

 

The girl wasn't sure why these men were chasing her, but she knew she had to find a way to save herself. In her fear, she quickly calculated her options, seeking an alternative route that might lead her to safety. Of course, the journey was not without challenges. The narrow and dark alley hindered her path, and her breath grew labored with fatigue. Yet, the hope of survival blazed in her heart, urging her not to give up.

 

In this harrowing situation, in the final minutes before midnight, the girl relied on her resilience and bravery to face the looming threat. The world seemed to stand still, a battleground between fear and determination raging within her.

 

"Hey! Stop right there, little girl!" one of the three men shouted as they continued to chase her. Unperturbed by their shouts, the girl kept running, not looking back. To maintain distance from her pursuers, she stole a glance over her shoulder. The men were falling behind, offering a momentary sigh of relief. But as she redirected her gaze forward, she stumbled over her own feet, falling and scraping both her knees.

 

Grimacing in pain, she struggled to her feet, resuming her run. Though not as fast as before, she refused to give up, enduring the pain in her knees. She held onto the belief that a miracle would come.

 

As they ran deeper into the alley, the darkness intensified as the moonlight waned. They could barely see one another, relying on their sense of hearing.

 

Suddenly, her hand was grabbed, pulling her into the darker shadows of the alley. She struggled to break free but was reminded to stay silent to avoid detection by the other three pursuers.

 

"Hush... Stay quiet, or they'll find us," a voice whispered, calming her. She gradually relaxed, not because of the words but because the voice was so familiar.

 

After a while, the footsteps of their pursuers faded, and they breathed a sigh of relief. Without words, the one who pulled her along guided her in the opposite direction, navigating through the darkness without conversation.

 

After a while, they emerged from the narrow, dark alley, greeted by the moonlight and the city's streetlights.

 

"Gomawoyo, Appa," the girl said, bowing her head, a tinge of guilt in her voice.

 

"Ugh, what's the matter?" The words were cut off as the person who saved her spoke.

 

"Hey... what happened to your leg?" the person asked, pointing at the girl's injured knee.

 

"Oh, this? I tripped and fell, more like stumbled, Appa," the girl replied.

 

"Jinjja? How could you trip? And don't tell me you stumbled on your own feet," the person said, exasperated and tempted to scold her.

 

Hearing those words, the girl grinned, her smile guiltless, eliciting a stronger desire from the person to reprimand her. Without further ado, the person pulled her yet again and led her to a nearby convenience store. The girl was seated on a chair outside, where they assessed her injury.

 

"Wait here for a moment and don't go anywhere, understood?" the person said firmly, met with a nod and a bright smile from the girl. Without delay, the person entered the convenience store and returned shortly with a bag of items. They approached the girl, who was still wearing a content smile.

 

"Are you insane?" the person, now standing in front of her, exclaimed.

 

"Huh?" The girl looked up at the person, her expression puzzled.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter