Dandelions

Dandelions
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Cause I'm in a field of dandelions
Wishing on every one that you'll be mine, mine
And I see forever in your eyes
I feel okay when I see you smile, smile
Wishing on dandelions all of the time
Praying to God that one day you'll be mine
Wishing on dandelions all of the time, all of the time

 

And I've heard of a love that comes once in a lifetime
And I'm pretty sure that you are that love of mine

 

 

Legend says dandelions can make your wishes come true.

They said you have to run three times around the field, pick one flower, say your wishes and blow it till it reaches the sun.

Even oldies in the area atested its magic. Some old couple love coming back and forth to celebrate their success story in the field.

For other people, it maybe just another bluff. A baseless rumor by government officials who wanted to promote the area to tourists.

But Chaerin firmly believes in the magic dandelions can bring as if her life depends in it.

She knows her sole wish will come true one day.


 

The old sycamore tree becomes the sole shade in the middle of the field. Chaerin loves to rest under it before she walks home after doing her 'ritual'. 

Everyday for the past two years, she will visit the field and pick the largest dandelion she could find. She will mutter her wish like a mantra, blow the flower towards the sky and rest under her spot as if it's her companion. She could even sleep under the tree, feeling at peace within herself.

 

Lee Chaerin is a sophomore student in Seoul High. Unlike usual students, she doesn't have many friends. Her classmates don't bully her but they don't care about her either. She has an average height and common face. She will never stand out in the crowd. Her grades are average too. She'd like to call herself a wallflower.

That's why she prefers to hang out in the field. Sometimes, she'd do her assignments there or one man project from school. She maybe a wallflower, but in the middle of the field, she has lots of co-flowers which has the ability to fly to the sky.

One day she will fly too.

With him? Maybe?

 

Jiyong. Kwon Jiyong.

That's his name.

 

Was it his eyes? His nose? The way he smiles?

Maybe it's the way he treated her during the very first time she stepped into the campus floor?

And maybe it's the tone of his voice...with the way he read her name thru her ID.

"Chaerin? Did I pronounce it right?" he gave her a small smile,

She quickly nods, still mesmerize with the beautiful soul infront of her.

"I'm really sorry for bumping into you just now."

"That's okay! I'm okay Sunbae."

"That's good to hear. I'll see you around." he winks at her before joining his friends who are obviously teasing him.

That day, her world stops from spinning.

 

"Do you know that dandelion field near the coffee shop we used to go?" One of her classmate started asking the girl sitting behind her.

"Yeah, they said it could grant wishes."

"Bull, those are just rumors made by the locals so tourists will visit the field and bring livelihood to the elders living near the area."

"Shouldn't we give it at least a try?"

"Let's just go to Lotte World. Who knows there might be snakes there." the girl shivers at the thought.

"Eww I hate snakes. Fine, I'd rather wish in Lotte's artificial wishing well."

Chaerin, who's busy eavesdropping, meekly stand up and can't help but asks, much to the surprise of the two girls.

"May I know where's the field? Do you know how to go there?" she politely asks.

"Uh...Lee. Well, they said it's near Kyeongsu Cathedral. The abandon field behind the church."

"Ahh I get it.  Didn't know there's a field behind the cathedral. That's my way home." she smiles at them, "Thank you."

"W-welcome." both of the girl were flustered. Chaerin rarely talks and what more, smiles to everyone. 

She goes back to her assigned seat again, planning to visit the said field.

 

"Okay, how do we do it?" she mutters upon finding the field. She put down her backup to a sole tree in the middle of the meadow and ties her hair. Looking at the paper she got from the old grandma who works for the church, she sighs "Run three times, pick one flower, wish then blow the sees towards the sky. That's easy!" 

"Please make him notice me. Please let him be mine." 

She laughs at her silly request, but in her mind, she knows it's better to try than to wonder what could have been.

And so she vows to visit the field for as long as she could.

 

"Watch out!" Chaerin hears a commotion before she felt a heavy blow on her head.

Few seconds more and she realizes her nose is bleeding due to the impact. Apparently, somebody accidentally spiked a volleyball to her area and hit her head.

"Oh my God, are you okay?" the girl, who looks like one of the volleyball players approaches her.

"Obviously she't not." a guy suddenly replied on her behalf. He gently carried her out of the sports complex.

Chaerin couldn't even breathe. Here's the guy she's crushing on with, carrying her whole weight and seems like he's bringing her to the clinic. The smack she suffered was hard, but the return is something she never expected.

"S-Sunbae..." she mutters.

"Your nose is bleeding so bad." he said as they enter the clinic. "Stay here, I'll tell your PE teacher that you need to rest because of what happened."

"T-Thank you Sunbae."

He just winks at her and left.

Now Chaerin's mind can't help but fly towards the dandelion field...

 

There she goes again, looking like an idiot running around the field. After three rounds, she hops towards her chosen flower, pick it up and clasps her hands.

"Please let him be mine." she mutters before blowing the dandelion.

The flower poorly scattered its dying body towards

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter