My Best Friends’ Wedding

Lucky One - written for Monthly Chanyeol Fest round 8: Lovin' The Size
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Four months later – Sehun’s and Baekhyun’s wedding

 

Kyungsoo froze in the middle of the aisle upon the sight of the gallant alpha in a tuxedo next to Baekhyun’s groom. 

 

Baekhyun noticed Kyungsoo faltering and whispered for him to continue on, as Kyungsoo was holding up the ceremony.  “What’s wrong?”

 

“That’s Park Chanyeol?” Kyungsoo asked in disbelief.

 

“Yes,” Baekhyun told him calmly, gesturing for Kyungsoo to move along the aisle towards the altar.

 

“He's the DJ I met when I was 19!” Kyungsoo whispered to him angrily, gritting his teeth for a passable smile to photographers and guests along the way.

 

“And so…?” Baekhyun grinned and waved at Sehun’s cousins, who came all the way from Canada.  “What’s the problem?”

 

“He also…”  Kyungsoo zipped it, when his eyes met Chanyeol’s, only to quickly cut off the eye contact as he turned to stand beside Baekhyun, who took Sehun’s hand, and both grooms faced the officiating priest.

 

“Dearly beloved…”

 

Kyungsoo could vaguely listen to the mass, or the words exchanged between the grooms, because he could sense Chanyeol’s intent gaze on him, especially during Sehun’s and Baekhyun’s vows. 

 

Kyungsoo began to feel this strange stirring in his stomach, and he was getting dizzy.  He didn’t want to cause a scene, however, so he had to be strong, at least until the wedding ceremony was over.

 

Mercifully, the beautiful wedding wrapped up without a hitch, but Kyungsoo had to stay for the pictures.  Yixing was part of Baekhyun’s entourage too, who could sense Kyungsoo wanted to get out of there, because of Chanyeol, who, in his best behavior, had remained by Sehun’s side this whole time.

 

Maybe his boss was worried over nothing.

 

At the reception, Baekhyun and Sehun had not asked for any wedding gift other than for South Korea’s R&B prince to sing the congratulatory song, which Kyungsoo was so very willing to give… if not for that small snag of trying to avoid the other best man altogether. 

 

D.O. was a professional, even if Do Kyungsoo was sweating buckets under his luxury penguin suit.  He took the microphone, as the other best man, Park Chanyeol, was of course, hired as one of the DJs.

 

However, instead of inserting the CD that Yixing prepared, Chanyeol went over to the grand piano next to the turn tables and tickled the ivories, playing the introductory bars to a love song in D.O.’s latest album, “For Life.”

 

The melody Chanyeol was producing was so ethereal and poignant, inadvertently causing so much emotion to swell in Kyungsoo’s chest that he had to close his eyes and sing from the deepest recesses of his heart:

 

This life has twists and turns

But it's the sweetest mystery

When you're with me

We say a thousand words

But no one else is listening

I believe

 

Every night and every day

No matter what may come our way

We're in this thing together

The dark turns to light

We both come alive, tonight

I'm talking 'bout forever

 

Never gonna let you go

Giving you my heart and soul

I'll be right here with you for life

Oh, baby all I wanna do

Is spend my every second with you

So look in my eyes

I'll be by your side

 

The storms may come

And winds may blow

I'll be your shelter for life

This love, this love

I mean it till the day I die

 

Oh, never gonna let you go

Giving you my heart and soul

I'll be right here with you for life

Oh, baby all I wanna do

Is spend my every second with you

So look in my eyes

I'll be by your side

 

Yeah, look in my eyes

I'll be by your side

For life

 

 

As he finished his song, he could see Baekhyun’s tears of bliss continually flowing from his eyes, while Sehun was smiling at Kyungsoo gratefully, radiating all the happiness and blessing in the world that he could only dream of.

 

“May you both continue to live joyously, with purpose and peace, growing together through storms and sunny weather, forever and ever.  Baekhyun and Sehun, I love you both and I am so happy that you have found each other,” Kyungsoo told them sincerely, his voice a little choked up, laughing before he completely embarrassed himself by a full-on ugly cry. 

 

And with that, he gave the mic to an usher when the MC announced for both the best men to join the grooms on the dance floor.

 

Kyungsoo closed his eyes in dread before opting to subtly slip out of the venue, only he felt a warm hand catching his on the way out, a hand much larger than his own not to be recognized. 

 

“D.—K-Kyungsoo-ssi,” Chanyeol attempted to regard formally.  He lowered his gaze when Kyungsoo didn’t want to look him in the eye, and it was understandable.  “May I have this dance?”

 

Kyungsoo didn’t budge at first but then people were already staring at them, which meant that they were judging him, more than they were judging the alpha. 

 

Kyungsoo gave in then, reluctantly, as they proceeded near the center, at least within proximity of the newlyweds, just for appearances.

 

Chanyeol gently placed his hands on the omega’s hips, trying not to pull him too close, because this was such an awkward situation he wouldn’t wish on his worst enemy. 

 

“H-How have you been?” Chanyeol whispered, trying to make this whole best men dance a little more tolerable, hopefully.

 

Kyungsoo didn’t reply, his knuckles only rigidly res

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter