Chapter 16

Love on the Rocks

******* TIME JUMP: THREE YEARS LATER*******

 

Ryeowook's POV

Ring.  Ring.  Ring.

I glanced down at my cell, and grinned when I saw the name that flashed on my caller ID. 

"Hey Minnie!  What's up?" I asked cheerily.

"Hey babe!  Just wondering what time you'll be home tonight"  I grinned into the phone,

"Aww, cute!  Umm, I'm not sure... I still need to revise my new song.  I need it to be perfect, I'm meeting with the producer and the client tomorrow"  I could almost see the pout on my boyfriend's face.

"Can you at least try to make it home by dinner?  I feel like I haven't seen you in forever!" he whined cutely.

"Hmmm... I think I can be out of here by 5:30.  So I'll be home around 6:00, araso?"

"YAY!!!  I'll see you then!"  Then he hung up the phone.  I smiled at his excitement, before returning to my work. 

I no longer worked at Teukkie hyung's bar, it held too many uncomfortable memories.  Luckily, I was scouted by an entertainment company and got a job as a professinal song writer.  They originally wanted me to pursue a career in singing, but I turned down the offer.  I wasn't confident enough to get up on stage, I was content with simply composing the music.  I left the performing to the artists.

About the same time I got my new job, Minnie was invited to join a band as their guitarist.  Since the band worked under the same company as I did, we managed to stay close.  I'm not sure when it happened, but we slowly took on the role of lovers.  We were best friends, and he was the only person I trusted with all my heart so it just seemed natural that we begin dating.  We had been dating for about a year and a half now, and it seemed like I had finally found a stable relationship where I felt safe. 

I finished the final revisions of my newest song, and quickly packed up my belongings and left the dimly lit office space.  I waved at the receptionist as I walked through the transluscent blue doors of the company tower.  I hopped into my car and flipped on the radio. 

My face blanched as I heard a sickeningly familiar voice pour through the speakers.  I quickly shut off the radio, and ran my fingers through my hair distractedly.  It was getting harder and harder to avoid that voice.  It seemed like Cho Kyuhyun was becoming a huge star.  He had debuted six months ago under Wave Records.

I tried to be happy for him, and I tried to put our past behind me, but I was still overly sensitive to the topic.  Every time I heard his voice, or saw his face I was hit with an uncomfortable mix of emtions.  I wasn't sure whether to feel angry or sad; betrayed or abandoned, so I just tried to be unbiased.  I was proud of his accomplishments and I tried my best to leave it at that.  Minnie knew Kyuhyun made me uncomfortable, and as my boyfriend I'm sure it affected him to a certain degree as well.  Basically, we tried to pretend like Cho Kyuhyun had never existed in our lives.

When I finally arrived at our apartment, I gave a sigh of relief.  It felt amazing to relax after all the stress of the day.  My mood lifted even higher when I saw that we had guests.

"Teukkie-umma!  Kangin-appa!"  I screamed excitedly and launched myself at my adoptive parents.  They chuckled at my childish actions, and took turns crushing me in bear hugs.

"Wow, love you too"  I turned to see Sungmin standing at the door, a pout on his face.  Despite his protruding lower lip, I knew he wasn't serious and I giggled at his aegyo.

"Oh, you know I love you!" I sing-songed, as I walked over to my most beloved hyung.  He smiled and opened his arms wide.  I gladly stepped into is loving embrace and nuzzled my face into his neck.  He pressed a sweet kiss on my forehead, and I grinned widely.

"Omo!!  It's soo cute!!" I heard Teukkie squeal.  "Kangin, look at my two favorite bunnies!  I might pass out from the sweetness!"  We all laughed at the eldest's antics.  Despite his mature age, he always tended to act like an overexcited fangirl whenever Minnie and I showed some skinship.

Minnie led me over to the armchair facing the the Kangteuk couple, and pulled me onto his lap.  I snuggled into the familiar warmth of his chest, and felt safe and secure as his arms wrapped around me automatically.  Teukkie had another mini spazz moment, and even pulled out his camera to take pics, before Kangin managed to control his wifey.

I giggled at my elder's antics, and turned away to gaze up at Minnie.  He looked down at me and smiled warmly,

"How did the song revisions go?" he asked.  I nodded indicating that they had gine well and he smiled cheerfully.

"Oh, Minnie" I began, "do you know who the newest client is?  I heard he's some new star, but I never caught his name"  My boyfriend looked thoughtful for a moment, but ended up shaking his head,

"Hmm, come to think of it, I never got his name either.  Apparently I'm supposed to play the background music for him though.  So I guess that means we'll be working on this new project together"  I beamed,

"Yay!  It's always so much fun working with you and the rest of the band!  How are Donghae and Eunhyuk by the way?"

"Well, things have gotten a bit better.  Eunhyuk is still pissed at Hae for cheating on him with Kibum, but you can tell he's really sorry.  They're trying to work things out, but things are still pretty tense between those two"

I sighed, saddened by the dismal news.  As much as I tried to deny it, I was a huge Eunhae fan and I hated to see my OTP going through such a difficult time in their relationship.  Minnie knew that I shipped the relationship between his bandmates, and usually kept me up to date with their status.  He must have seen my disappointment, because he nudged me lightly and sent me an ebcouraging smile,

"Don't worry Wook, things will be fine between them.  When they see you tomorrow I think it will definatley improve their problems"  I looked at him questioningly, and he chuckled lightly,

"Well, you know they consider you their baby, so I'm sure their mutual love for you will help to repair their relationship"  I grinned at the thought, but was jolted out of my ponderings by my Teukkie-umma's hostile voice.

"Aw hells no!  Wookie is my baby!"  Then he leaped off the sofa and pulled me into his arms in a protective manner.  Kangin stared at his lover in disbelief before exploding into loud, boisterous laughter.

"Oh Shisus Teuk!  Put the mode away!  There's no need to be jealous, Wookie is not your pet, he's allowed to have other hyungs you know!"  Teukkie glared at him, then turned his sad puppy dof eyes to me.

"B-but I'm still your favorite, right Wookie?"  I stifled a giggle and hugged my hyung.

"Don't worry!  I may have many other hyungs, but I only have one Teukkie-umma!"  He squealed happily and pulled me into another bone crushing hug.  Minnie and Kangin just looked at us with amused smiles.

*********

The next day I scooted out of our bed, and stepped into the closet to choose my clothes for the day.  I selected a white and red striped v-neck t-shirt, a tan vest, a pair of black extra skinny jeans, and topped off my look with a black fedora.  Once I was dressed I went over to Minnie, and gently woke him up.

I rubbed his bare shoulder, and laughed when he swatted my hand and pouted adorably.  I bent over and pressed my lips against his, and his eyes snapped open immediatley.  He tried to pull me closer, but I pulled away, a happy grin, and a slight blush on my face.

"Well now that your up, we need to get moving!"   Minnie groaned, but finally stood up and headed towards the bathroom.

"Why are we up so early anyway?" he grumbled as I prepared breakfast.

"We have to meet with the client today, and I wanted to run through the song with you a few times before he arrives"  He came out dressed in a  pale pink graphic t-shirt, a charcoal grey blazer, and a pair of dark blue distressed skinny jeans.  He nodded in agreement, and we ate quickly and headed towards the office.

In the recording studio, I had Minnie play the guitar as I listened.  He was slightly off with the timing, and he stopped playing and sighed in frustration.

"Dang!  I just can't seem to get this last part right!  Wookie, help me out please" 

I walked up behind him, and hugged him from behind.  Once I felt the slight tension disappear from his shoulders, I asked,

"What do you want me to do?"

"I just need to hear the song being sung so I can get the timing down.  Please, Wookie?"  He looked at me with big, pleading eyes, and I sighed and gave in.  He knew I hated to sing in front of others.  It made me feel too exposed... to vulnerable...

I quietly hummed the intro, and listened as Minnie strummed the guitar in a soft, yet complex melody.  Finally I began to sing,

How can I stand here and watch you go?  Farther away, towards the rainbow
I know you want to reach your star, but must you travel away so far?
I want to you to stay here, close to me, but I won't ask you to leave your dream
So I'll smile, and wave, and hold back my tears.  I'll pretend I'm fine, and conceal my fears.
Until the day you come back to me, I'll protect and cherish our memory... 
 

I continued to sing, lost in the emotion of the song... Minnie hit every chord perfectly...


Ehhh...I know the song is ty, but I really didn't want to go searching for the appropriate lyrics...

Anyway, hipe you enjoyed the update!

Comments = ~<3