First (Bad) Meeting

Home Run on an A-string
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was the middle of summer, sweat dripping from her forehead down to her jaw. They were playing a friendly game of baseball; Winter, the ace of the team smirked as she tightened her grip on the bat, her gaze focused on the ball that was held by the pitcher. It was really hot outside, the heat of the sun was unbearable really, but they still wanted to continue the game. "Free trial ng impyerno ba 'to?" Winter mumbled. She mentally cursed as the pitcher was taking his time. Finally, the ball left the pitcher's hand and came at Winter at a high speed. Of course, that was nothing she couldn't handle. With a strong swing, the bat comes in contact with the ball and flew off to the other direction.

 

Winter made a run for it as the rest of the opposing side chased the flying ball that was going at an unbelievable distance. Despite her petite body, she was sure to hit home runs. The people that had gathered to watch cheered loud while Winter ran to complete the run— 

 

BANG!

 

Everything was interrupted by a loud bang and a yell coming from the direction where the ball flew off to. Even Winter herself stopped running and turned to look at what happened. Turns out, the ball had reached a nearby house, hitting someone on their balcony.

 

This someone was Karina, peacefully practicing a piece on her cello in the warmness of the afternoon. The ball had hit the cello accidentally, causing her to lose her grip on the neck and have the cello tumbling down to the floor, snapping its A string.

 

Chirps of birds sang in choir with the subtle tones emitting from the cello. Butterflies roamed around her balcony as she her strings. She hummed along with the tune of the wind as it gracefully whistle through her ear. "One last note and I can finish my original piece." As her fingers lead to the last chord a gaunt ball crashed to her balcony and aimed her- "Gosh!" A cacophonous clash disrupted the peace of her song. The stance of the wheelchair feetbled and made her stumble to the door. She squirmed in pain. Her nature friends avasted without having to bid their goodbyes. She returned her gaze to her cello that fell next to the ball. "What in the world?!” 

 

"Hello! Excuse me?! May tao ba diyan?" A female voice called out. Recovering from the astonishment she pushed her wheels to the edge of the balcony. She looked down to see a rugged girl huffing with her hands rested on her knees. Her eyebrows crouched. The stranger raised a hand up with her index finger up. "Teka muna." The girl huffed heavily. She looks back to the ball and her cello that laid on the floor. “Sa kaniya 'to?" She wanted to pick up the ball and aim it to her face as vengeance but that wouldn't be nice and also, she couldn't.

 

"Hi, nakita ko kasing nagcrash landing yung bola ko dito, pwede ko bang kunin?" The girl above felt embarrassed. Her voice retracted to , she fell silent.

 

She felt anxious. She felt embarrassed. She felt scared. Her panic started to emulsify within her lung capacity. She closed her eyes and breathed through the air. "Optismism, optimism." Showering her thoughts with adorning things, she gradually adapted the situation. She once more stared at the objects. beneath her arms, far from touch. She couldn't bend down and pick up those, nor stand up, nor crawl. The only way she could've fix things was for someone to assist her.

 

"Hoy! Yung bola ko please?!" A yell came from downstairs. She didn't want more people to know about her condition. She didn't want people to think she was disabled, but she is. A sigh egressed from her. She had no choice then. "Come and get it then." A sassy tone rolls from her tongue.

 

Winter, who seemingly was confused, replied, "Seryoso?!" The girl in the balcony nodded. Thinking it was an act of penalty, nonetheless, she got to the entrance of the stranger's home not having the time to notice the modern structure. She went up to the stairs, and entered the room which had the door itself opened. She creeped inside. The room was blanketed with cream. Sheets form the color of pale strawberry and white furniture that scattered across the room. From every corner of the wall had placards

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter