The Wedding Day

#NOWPLAYING: Taeyeon - Fabulous
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Now Playing: The Corrs - Strange Romance

 

 

***

 

 

Seoul, November 2023

 

There she is, dressed in a pristine white gown with off-shoulder sheath, topped with romantic floral lace appliqués. As she walks down the aisle, all eyes turn to her. Including my eyes which never once leaves the sight of her figure since she appears at the end of aisle.

 

The dress is beautiful, but the woman wearing it that takes my breath away. I can feel my heart pounds like a drum echoing through a silent hall. My breaths are shallow and the world around me blurs into insignificance as she continues her steps forward.

 

Her eyes glints with love and excitement. The same pair of eyes which never fails to make a smile rises on my face. The same pair of eyes which never fails to make me fall in love over and over again since summer five years ago.

 

 

***

 

 

Pandawa Beach, August 2018

 

”Is this seat free?"

 

The husky voice with perfect American accent took my attention away from the beautiful sight of Bali's beach. I turned my head to the voice owner and stunned at the beautiful eye smile beamed on me. The smile was dazzling, even the sunglasses I wore couldn’t protect my eyes from her beauty. I looked at her for a while, I thought she was American judging from her accent, but apparently she was Asian: asian fair skin, asian black hair, asian eyes, everything about her look screamed Asian except for her accent.

 

”Is this seat free?”

 

She repeated her question, still with the thick American accent. This time, she pointed at the unoccupied beach chaise lounge under beach umbrella next to me. Maybe she thought I didn’t understand what she was saying. I immediately nodded to answer her question.

 

”Do you mind if I sit here?” She asked again, with slower pace. I believed she really thought I didn't understand English.

 

”No, I don’t mind. Please have a seat.” I replied in English, with my thick Korean accent.

 

”Thank you so much!” She almost screamed too excitedly before taking the seat next to me. “I’ve been looking for a good spot to enjoy the sight.”

 

I let out a soft chuckle. “You’re here to enjoy the sight? Not for playing at the beach? Or get tanned?”

 

She laughed at my question before propping herself to comfortably face me who sat next to her. “I believe we’re both Asian, you know getting tanned is not our stuff.”

 

I laughed along as I heard her statement. She was definitely Asian. “I thought you’re American. I mean Asian-American. You’ve got thick American accent.”

 

”I studied in San Fransisco. But I am Korean. Hwang Miyoung Imnida.”

 

I laughed harder when she suddenly introduced herself in Korean. “Manaso bangawoyo, Miyoung-ssi” I Immediately switched to Korean. “I thought your name would be something like Kimberly, Sophia, or Jennifer.”

 

”Oh my God, I knew it! You’re Korean as well!” She chuckled. “Tiffany is my English name. But I thought it’d be better to introduce myself using Korean name. It would be weird if I said I am Korean, but my name is Tiffany.”

 

”Tiffany suits you better than Miyoung.” I hardly stopped my chuckle. “Nice to meet you Tiffany.”

 

”And, what’s your name, stranger?”

 

I smiled sheepishly as I noticed I hadn’t introduced myself to her. “Taeyeon. Kim Taeyeon.”

 

”Nice meeting you too, Taeyeon.”

 

 

***

 

 

Incheon Airport, August 2018

 

I am stretching my hand, trying to get my luggage from conveyor belt. I managed to hold the side strap and lifted the luggage but my small body wobbled as the weight of the luggage might be the same as me. As I was trying to balance myself, a pair of hands hold the top handle and helped me took my luggage. I turned my body towards the person who helped me only to be greeted by a pair of beautiful eye smile.

 

”We meet again, Taeyeon!” She greeted me cheerfully.

 

I unconsciously smile along. Her smile really was contagious. “Thanks for your help, Tiffany.”

 

”Why didn’t you tell me that we’re on the same flight?”

 

I laughed at her question. We just met once in Bali. It was just a random encounter. We didn’t even exchange contact and now she asked me why didn’t I tell her that we’re on the same flight?

 

”We only met once, Tiffany. We didn’t talk about it when we met. And I don’t have your contact. How can I let you know which flight I took?”

 

Tiffany laughed along but then she handed me her phone. “Give me your number, then.”

 

I didn’t take the phone right away. I looked at her, raising my eyebrows. “What for?”

 

”So I can let you know what flight I take the next time I am on holiday. Who knows, we can be travel buddies?” She explained.

 

I shook my head in amusement. “You’re weird, you know?” I said as I took the phone in her hand.

 

”It’s called networking, Taeyeon. You travelled alone, I also travelled alone. We can travel together next time.,” She replied confidently, making me chuckle at the answer.

 

I punched in my number and saved my number as ‘Kim Taeyeon’ before giving the phone back at her. “Send me a message so I can save your contact as well.”

 

She smiled as she shook her head. She then tapped on her phone and raised the phone to her ears. She waited for a while but then frowned at me. “Are you giving me fake number?”

 

I furrowed my eyebrows. “Of course not. Why?”

 

”I can’t call your number.” She now pouted and for a split second I thought how could a person seemed very attractive while pouting?

 

”Really?” I slid my phone out of my jeans pocket and unlocked it. I looked at my phone screen and chuckled, “Sorry, I forgot to turn off the airplane mode.” I tapped the airplane icon to turn it off and showed my screen to Tiffany once the signal bar was full. “You can call my number again.”

 

Tiffany did as I requested and without a delay, her number flashed on my screen. I rejected the call so I can save her number. “Do you prefer Tiffany or Miyoung?” I asked.

 

”Up to you, it’s your phone.” She shrugged nonchalantly. But before I even entered any letter she stopped me. “Wait, you better save me as Tiffany.”

 

Her behavior made me chuckle. “Why so?”

 

”You’ve been calling me Tiffany. If you save my number as Miyoung, you might forget who is Miyoung.” She nodded convincingly as if she just successfully deducted a mysterious murder case. I laughed at her antics.

 

”Okay, I save yours as Tiffany Hwang.” I announced it to her before saving her contacts.

 

”Great! So I guess, see you next time?” She beamed her beautiful smile at me again. And I smiled along.

 

”N’ah, I am not leaving yet. Let’s wait for your luggage.” I sat on my luggage. I believed I was light enough not to break my luggage if I sat on it. “Where do you live?”

 

Tiffany's smile widened at my decision. I guessed she was happy that she got a company. “Seongdong-gu. You?”

 

I gasped before laughing. “Same as you! I guess we’re destined to meet each other, huh?”

 

Tiffany smiled wide, her eyes gleamed in excitement. “I get a feeling we’re going to be best buddies!”

 

 

***

 

 

Seoul, November 2023

 

As Tiffany steps into the light, I am swayed in every single movement she makes. Her dress shimmering like a dream against the soft glow of the room. Her smile is radiant and warm. I swear, she is the most beautiful sight I’ve ever seen. The romantic floral lace appliqués, the bouquet of flowers in her hand, the radiant and warm smile of hers. Everything about her is perfect.

 

She walks down the aisle very gracefully and I can feel tears well up in my eyes.

 

She is perfect.

 

She’s always been perfect in my eyes.

 

 

***

 

 

Seoul, July 2019

 

My phone kept vibrating inside my jeans pocket and I intentionally ignored it. I knew exactly who called — or leaving hundreds of messages, and I didn't have time to read her messages, let alone picking up her phone. I fastened my steps toward my car and got inside as soon I reached it. After igniting the engine and air conditioner, I slid out my phone from my pocket. There were fourteen missed calls and twenty-one unread messages. I clicked my tongue as I took a glance at the clock on the top right corner of my phone. It was 6.10 pm. I was ten minutes late already.

 

My phone vibrated again and her name flashed on my screen: Tiffany Hwang.

 

”Hello,” I finally answered her call.

 

”Gosh, you’re finally picking up!” The husky voice rang loudly in my ears. She was definitely angry.

 

”Sorry, Fany. I just finished my work.” I tried to reason. It was not an excuse though. My works just finished and during the past one hour and ten minutes I was stuck in the meeting room with the bosses.

 

I heard a loud sigh across the line. “I thought something happened to you.” Her voice turned soft this time. Worries presented in her tone. Now I felt guilty for not letting her know earlier.

 

”I am sorry…” I could only apologize as I really had nothing to say.

 

”Are you still in office?” She sounded normal now. I couldn’t hear any displeased tone from her.

 

”Yeah, I am in my car. Are you at the restaurant already?” I shifted my gear from P to D, and drive away from office.

 

”Yes, I am at the restaurant already. Do you want me to order for you?”

 

I smiled as I listened to her attentive tone. “I will have the same as what you order.” I replied, earning a soft chuckle from her.

 

”You’re too lazy to choose, right?”

 

She guessed it right. I always order the same menu as what she ordered.

 

”You know me best, Fany-ah.” I exclaimed excitedly, and it made her laugh.

 

”Tae…” She called out my name. I love it every time she called my name. I smiled and hummed to answer. “Drive safe. No rush. I won’t go anywhere.”

 

My smile grew bigger. I loved it every time she reminded me to drive safe. It showed that she cared. I loved it every time she said no rush. It showed that we were taking baby steps. I love it every time she said she wouldn’t go anywhere. It showed that she would be there for me.

 

”Okay, Fany-ah. See you very soon.”

 

”See you soon, Tae. Love you.”

 

I smiled again. I knew she loved me as a friend. But my heart fluttered every time I heard it from her. Tiffany, why did you make me feel this way?

 

 

***

 

 

Seoul, November 2023

The Bridal Chorus from Wagner's Lohengrin is playing as a back sound as I try my best to hold the tears that at the verge of spilling when Tiffany’s eyes shifts towards me. Our eyes meet and I see my whole world in them. I can feel my heart swells inside my chest. All the memories we’ve crafted together flashes in my head. Our friendship, my confession, and our first kiss.

 

 

***

 

 

Seoul, May 2020

 

I never imagined that I would live to witness such a global pandemic happened. World Health Organization designated that Corona Virus or Covid-19 was a pandemic exactly one day after my birthday. Countless people around the globe lost friends and families. I was lucky that my friends and family were all healthy.

 

A lot had changed due to the pandemic. People starting to be more aware of hygienes and health. Companies changed their policy on how they operated and worked. Work from home was like a new norm for employees, including me.

 

On top of the changes that happened due to the pandemic, there was also a change happened in my life. Earlier this year, way before World Health Organization announced the pandemic, I moved in with Tiffany. Yes, that Tiffany who I met when I had a holiday in Bali two years ago. And, no, we were not in a relationship. When I said I moved in, it was more like an arrangement to live together. We did this calculation that we could make some savings if we rent two bed-room apartment together instead of renting our own studio apartments. So we decided to live together since January this year. I thought it would be fine since most of the time we would spend time working, and we would only saw each other in the morning or at nights. I thought I can manage the feelings that had been grown towards her even though we lived together. But I was wrong. Both of us worked from home since our companies implemented working from home policy. And I needed to be with her 24 hours a day.

 

”Taetae!”

 

There she was calling me by my childhood nickname. Ever since she met Jiwoong Oppa, my brother, she insisted to call me by my childhood nickname.

 

”What?” I replied half shouted since I was in my room and she was in other room.

 

The door of my room was opened and she stood there with a wide smile. “What are you doing?”

 

Had I told you that her smile was contagious? I unconsciously smiled along every time I saw her smile.

 

“Writing.” I replied as I pressed alt and tab button together, ensuring she wouldn’t see what I wrote. I wrote fanfics in my free time. Lesbian fanfics to be exact. Writing lesbian fanfics were the only way I could do to release my feelings towards Tiffany. There were moments when I wished we could be more than friends. But I was not brave enough to tell her about my feelings. So I would turn to my laptop and wrote the stories I wished could become our stories.

 

Tiffany pouted as she walked in to my room and stood next to me. Sometimes I felt it was unfair for a human being to be beautiful even when a pout was drawn on her face.

 

”Why won’t you let me read your stories?” She asked still with a pout on her face. I swore to God, there were moments when I wanted to just give a quick peck to the her pouting lips.

 

I chuckled while shaking my head. “I told you, I write .” I told her a lie. There was no mature content in my stories. There were some make out scenes in some chapters but definitely not . Make out is not a , isn't it?

 

She laughed at my answer before cupping my cheeks in her hands and my heart beat too fast just because of that. She leaned forward, shrinking the spaces between us. I could smell the soft and vibrant notes of Sicilian Mandarin followed with velvety accent of peony and lilies intruding my nose. Acqua di Parma. The perfume she wore intoxicating my mind and I almost leaned in to plant a soft peck on her lips. But I manage to hold my breath, cleaning my mind from those inviting thoughts, and held myself not to plant a kiss on her lips.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter