Things We Carry

Things We Carry

May 22, 1944

My dearest,

At the time of writing, it has been many weeks since you left suddenly with most of the men of the town. I have prayed for your safety every day since your departure, yet still I have worried for you. It has truly brought me great joy and relief to have received your letter, and I could not delay sending you a reply as soon as I read it.

Your mother and I have been keeping each other company. She sits right by me as I write. We have discussed together your gentle soul not suiting combat. It is hard to imagine you carrying arms. A good book in your hands suits you much better. I send with this letter some of your favourite books from your library. I hope they help you pass the time and lift your spirits.

If that doesn't help, I hope that news of our good health reassures you. Your mother and I have gone downtown yesterday to visit the old Dr. K. Mother is stronger than ever, and I myself am holding up well. While we were out, we also had our pictures taken by the photographer down the street, and, as you requested, I send those with this letter too.

If this still does not bring you enough comfort, my dear, because I know you worry for us, perhaps the idea of your darling wife carrying your child helps you. Your mother wanted me to keep this secret until your return, but when Dr. K confirmed my pregnancy, I knew that I must share this blessed news with you. I hope for the fighting to end soon so that when our child is birthed into the world, we may meet them together.

I long for your embrace, my dear. I sit in wait on your reading chair. My heart burns for you every day.

Your darling xx