His regret

Regret

Rising from his bed, Yoongi made his way to the glass window and watched as heavy rain fell. A year has passed by and he still couldn’t forget Ari. He had tried every way to distract his mind but nothing worked. He knew he was at fault for breaking up with her which is why even though he wants her back in his life, he knows it can’t happen. They dated in their second year of university until their final year. He broke up with her because of her parents’ disapproval of their relationship. Her parents had wanted her to marry a different guy. A guy of their choice. He can’t help but wonder whether she’s still single or married by now.

He continued staring at the heavy pour.  Every time it rains, it brings back an old, precious memory that he has of her.

*Flashback*

He scolded himself internally as he looked at his calendar. It was her girlfriend’s birthday and he had forgotten about it. Not once but twice now. Growing up in a household where birthdays were not celebrated, Yoongi has a hard time remembering anyone’s birthday. Weighed down by guilt, he sent her a message, ‘Happy birthday Ari’. Looking at the gift he had prepared for her three months ago, he felt as if his effort had gone down the drain. ‘Thank you oppa. You’re only a day late this year, so you’re forgiven’ she replied.

Yoongi knew she was hurt because she would always call him ‘my love’ when they’re texting and this time, she only called her ‘oppa’.

After thinking for some time, Yoongi reached his phone. ‘Can we meet up now, sweetheart’ Yoongi texted Ari. He cringed at his own choice of word. He was never comfortable with any lovey dovey words couples usually use with each other. ‘Sweetheart, baby, darling’, these words never came out of his mouth even while they were dating. He’s just not used to it and he was glad Ari didn’t mind him calling her by name.

‘Sweetheart? Who are you? Where is my Yoongi?’ Ari replied. A shy smile appeared on Yoongi’s face as he read the message. He knew he was going to be made fun of soon.

When they met at the park, she laughed when she saw him. Yoongi’s face red by now, covered using his palm to stop her from embarrassing him. They sat down at the bench after she promised him that she would stop laughing. ‘So, sweetheart, what’s up?’ she asked. Yoongi’s face flushed as he had no idea how he’s going to give her his present. Other than cake, he had never given her a wrapped birthday present before. ‘This is for you’ he said as he slowly lifted the gift from his bag. ‘Wow, a present for me?? Are you really Yoongi? What have you done to my boyfriend’ she said while palming his both cheeks.

‘Thank you, sweetheart,’ she said after taking the gift from Yoongi. ‘I’ll open this later at home’ she said. ‘No, you have to open it now’ Yoongi said. ‘Sure, sweetheart’ she replied. Yoongi pinched her nose when she didn’t stop making fun of him.

‘A couple bracelet! Wow, this is so pretty. Thanks a lot for buying this for me’ she looked into his eyes. He took her hand and started fastening the bracelet on her wrist. He then put his forearm out asking her to do the same for him. ‘I love this’ she said as she clasped the bracelet around his wrist. ‘But, my number one birthday gift would still be the fact that you called me sweetheart. You should call me that more often baby’ she said. Yoongi smiled at her as he intertwined their fingers. Their gaze was broken when heavy rain suddenly poured down from the sky and they ran for a shelter under a tree.

Yoongi’s thoughts were broken when his cell phone rang. He saw Namjoon on his phone screen as he picked up. ‘Let’s meet up at the café. It’s about the song we’re writing. We need to discuss something’ Namjoon said. ‘Okay’ Yoongi replied. ‘See you at 5pm then hyung’ Namjoon said.

Yoongi walked into the café, scanning for Namjoon only to stop in trance when he saw a familiar face. A face he can’t forget. A face his heart had always longed for. It felt like time suddenly froze as he looks at her. His gaze travelled to her finger. No rings. The thought of her not married yet made a smile crawl on his face. After taking a last look at her, he decided to leave because he had no courage to face her even by accident. As he was about to leave, he caught a glimpse of silver bracelet on her wrist. It slowly sank to him that bracelet was the same bracelet he had given her as a birthday gift.

Ari felt a gaze on her and looked up. Their eyes met.