(re) mind

(re)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They had just finished the Seoul leg of their first concert in three years and Wendy could still feel the thrum of excitement in her veins and she wanted nothing more than to go back out there and give in to fans’ chants of another encore. She closed her eyes as soon as she reached backstage and breathed deeply. Her lips curled up unconsciously as she ran the night’s events in her mind, soaking it all in. A cool touch to her forearm stopped her from her musings and made her smile wider. She hummed but refused to open her eyes and instead, basked in the familiar touch. 

“Wan-ah, let’s go,” the smooth voice of their leader made Wendy turn her head to face the owner and flash a smile that turned her eyes into slits. Irene chuckled and led Wendy to where the others were. Her hand left Wendy’s forearm to the latter’s dismay, only for the main vocalist to feel it on her back. Irene felt Wendy’s body relax with her touch. She unconsciously smiled and shook her head fondly, amused that after all these years, she still had the same effect on one Wendy Shon Seungwan.

Irene frowned as soon as they reached the waiting room and immediately looked at the younger girl beside her. She couldn’t see the latter’s face as it was facing the other way. She opened to say something, but before she could utter a word, someone from the company called her. She sighed as she begrudgingly watched Seungwan’s retreating back, without turning back once.

Irene bowed and flashed the most polite smile she could muster but inside, she was seething. She knew what it was about, especially seeing some of the male artists from their company. 

“Judging from your reaction, I’m sure you already know what this is about. This time, you have to stand behind him.” The man said and pointed to one of their sunbaes. His tone left no room for arguments and it wasn’t like Irene could say no even when every fiber of her being protested and threatened to leave her system. She looked at Wendy who was laughing at something Yeri had said. She saw how the main vocalist playfully slapped the arm of their maknae, but it lacked the usual energy. Wendy’s shoulders were slumped, and her laughs were a touch strained. She tilted her head sideways and Irene saw how the former’s smile didn’t quite reach her eyes. Irene sighed. She dragged her feet to where Wendy and the others were and stood behind the main vocalist. She took a deep breath before calling the name she probably whispers even while sleeping.

“Wendy-ah,” she started and was greeted with another smile.

“Yes, unnie?” Wendy chirped. 

“We have to take a photo with our sunbaes.”

“Okay!” Wendy answered, her tone was a little too jovial and it made Irene frown. The rest of the members looked at each other and took fleeting, yet worried glances at their main vocalist. Wendy was the first to approach the sunbaes and everyone could see her bowing multiple times, expressing their thanks. Irene told her multiple times that she didn’t have to always do it on their behalf, but her ever considerate Seungwan told her, “I know that, unnie! But I like doing things for you.” She ended it with a pout, knowing full well how Irene was weak against it. She sighed for the nth time that day.

The ride back to their dorm was silent, save for Wendy’s soft snoring. Irene kept glancing at the main vocalist through the rear view mirror which caused their manager unnie to chuckle. Irene blushed under her knowing stare and was reminded of how she and Seungwan finally decided to stop dancing around each other. 

 

4 years ago

Joohyun hums as she punches in the code of their shared dorm and a smile involuntary broke on her face as she thought of having the night off and spending it with her favorite member. What greets her is not unusual and certainly amusing. 

Seungwan is pacing back and forth in their small living room, her arms gesticulating wildly in front of her. Her eyes are crazed and there are strands of hair that are out of place but she doesn’t pay it any mind. 

“Shon Seungwan, are you crazy? How could you just walk out like that when unnie was talking to sunbae?” She messes up her hair even more. But how could I not? She wasn’t JUST talking to him, but she was smiling too. She even gave him a friendly pat and their distance…their distance…

“ARGGGHHH!!!” Seungwan grunts and pulls her hair in frustration. Her pace becomes quicker as she raps the next words, “It wasn’t like I was disrespectful, I excused myself. Right? Also, I think it’s well within my ri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter