Yu Jimin & Kim Minjeong

Only You (JMJ)

 

 

Minjeong bakes cookies in the night and packs them into a container. Her roommate, Aeri stumbles out of her room in a daze and her eyes land on them.

 

“So that’s why you were making a ruckus last night.” Aeri snorts, making her way to them. She reaches a hand out and Minjeong smacks it away immediately, snapping the lid on.

“Hey!” Aeri whines.

“These are for Jimin. Those are yours.” Minjeong tells her as she puts the container into her bag.

 

Aeri turns her head and finds another container on the kitchen counter.

 

“Oh. Thank you Minjeongie~” Aeri approaches Minjeong, intending to land a kiss on her cheek.

“Ew! You've got morning breath!” Minjeong shoves her away and Aeri laughs loudly.

 

Minjeong successfully pushes her roommate away and her eyes flit to the clock on the wall.

 

“I’m going to be late - share some with Ningning, bye!” Minjeong waves at her frantically before dashing out of the dorm. Aeri doesn’t even get to have a word in as she watches Minjeong scurry out of the dorm. She shakes her head lightly with an amused smile.

 

Aeri and Minjeong became roommates freshman year and have been since. They found it easy to live with each other as their schedules also coincided, which was convenient for them as they eventually became friends because of Aeri’s out-going manner, since Minjeong is shy and mostly introverted. Although Minjeong’s incredible ability to be introverted usually hinders her attempts at socialising, she’s been doing a fine job of keeping her friends close. 

 

Minjeong smiles almost immediately when she spots Jimin running towards her. The taller of them jumps straight onto Minjeong and hugs her tightly.

 

“I missed you!” Jimin grins into Minjeong’s hair.

“We saw each other a couple days ago.” Minjeong dismisses, but she grins into Jimin’s shoulder.

“Still, I always miss you.” Jimin pulls away with a pout.

 

Minjeong reaches into her bag and pulls out the container of cookies.

 

“Here, I made some for you.” She hands it to Jimin. “You said you needed a sugar boost after finishing your papers.”

“Why would I need a sugar boost when I am on the receiving end of Kim Minjeong’s sweetness?” Jimin hugs her again. “Kidding - but thank you!”

“It’s nothing.” Minjeong shrugs modestly.

“It smells so good!” Jimin says as she opens the container and breathes in the freshly baked aroma. “And you made so much! How am I going to finish it?”
“You can share it with your other friends.” Minjeong suggests offhandedly and Jimin gasps like someone killed her pet cat.

“No way will I share Kim Minjeong’s sweetness!” Jimin declares defensively. “Kim Minjeong is all mine.”

 

Minjeong pretends a warmth doesn’t blossom to the tips of her ears, from her cheeks and to her neck. She excuses the beating of her chest for simple excitement.

 

“Yeah, yeah…” Minjeong dismisses. “Let’s get to class.”
That we should do.” Jimin links her arm with Minjeong’s before descending down the campus hallway.

 

Minjeong has always chosen to observe her surroundings, rather than actually interacting with them. Like exhibit A; being friends with Jimin since middle school and high school garners quite the attention. Jimin is a force to be reckoned with and all eyes land on her the moment she enters a space. It’s not like Minjeong had been oblivious to Jimin’s beauty and character, since she might be the only one who knows Jimin so well. Sometimes she wonders why and how Jimin has managed to keep her around for so long. She remembers that day in middle school when Jimin transferred and had an assigned seat beside Minjeong. Jimin said hi to her and from that day onwards, Jimin lifted Minjeong over her shoulder like a sack of rice and deemed them best friends. Obviously, it didn’t play out like that literally, but it’s pretty much how it happened.

 

Many people wave to Jimin on the way to class and Minjeong admires her. Her dark hair cascades softly around her shoulders in light curls as she clings onto Minjeong's arm as they walk. Minjeong has always loved Jimin’s hair like this. Soft and carefree. When Jimin suggested the possibility of going blonde, Minjeong had shut her down immediately. It’d be a travesty to ruin such beautiful hair. Minjeong’s hair had already gone through that process, now a dark brown bob with many, many fried bits. 

 

Minjeong had considered not cutting her hair, but Jimin had insisted— even had taken Minjeong to the salon and personally told the hairdresser to cut Minjeong's hair short. God knows why Jimin had always taken a liking to Minjeong’s short hair.

 

Minjeong doesn’t fully register that they’ve made it to class and that they’re even sitting down. She blinks awake and finds herself sitting a few rows away from the front where the professor is, and with Jimin right beside her— taking notes.

 

Minjeong in a deep breath.

 

These days she finds it harder to focus with Jimin around. She doesn’t know why. She could know why, but perhaps she’s too afraid to try. This relationship has never hindered her so much before. She wonders what has changed.



 


 

Minjeong cancelled on Jimin for the first time in a while. Not being able to get rid of the itch in her disposition, Minjeong had taken a step back when Jimin had asked her to come over to watch a movie. She declined and said she was feeling unwell, to which Jimin took merely less than a second to jump and ask if she should come over and take care of her instead. Minjeong had quickly messaged her and said Aeri was taking care of her. 

 

Evidently, she wasn’t sick but Aeri was actually with her. Minjeong was lazing around in her room and Aeri was in the living room of their dorm.

 

Minjeong unsettles on her bed and rolls around, letting out another big sigh. 

 

“Minjeong!” Aeri calls out to her loudly from the living room.

“Yeah?” Minjeong answers.

“You’ve sighed for like the tenth time! Come out and hang with me!” Aeri calls out and Minjeong debates with her body for a second before getting up.

 

She has nothing to do anyways.

 

She finds Aeri on the couch playing Call Of Duty on her own.


“Play with me?” Aeri asks, already giving her the other controller.

“I don’t think you’re asking.” Minjeong chuckles lightly as she takes the controller in hand.

“You’re right. You’ve got no choice.” Aeri beams.

 

They play a few games and then Aeri comes to terms with something. There is something definitely wrong, and something is definitely bothering Minjeong because she has died in the game more than usual, and her eyes are absently staring at the screen.

 

Aeri pauses the game and puts her controller down and then does the same to Minjeong— which consequently returns Minjeong back to reality.

 

“W-what - what happened?” Minjeong’s hand twitches, registering the absence of the controller in her mind.

“Okay, spill.” Aeri says, facing her. Minjeong blinks and backs away slightly.

“What are you talking about?” Minjeong questions.

“Somethings bothering you and it is messing with your game,” Aeri says and Minjeong opens to object, but Aeri is quicker. “And don’t say nothing is wrong because you’ve been sighing all day and moping around.” Minjeong closes . 

 

She sinks into the couch and Aeri watches her.

 

“I’ve just… I’ve been feeling weird.” Minjeong sighs.

“Weird how?” Aeri asks.
“Like I’m not being me…” Minjeong huffs. “I can’t focus, I don’t want to leave my room, and my mind is all messed up.”

“So what’s the root of those problems?” Aeri asks and Minjeong opens and closes again.

 

She looks away, unable to look Aeri in the eye— already feeling another wave of the bad feeling coming over her.

 

Aeri frowns and places a hand on Minjeong’s forearm comfortingly.

 

“It’s not always fun having to keep your feelings to yourself.” Aeri says softly. “I’m here, you know. I’m here for you, Minjeong. I can be your person.”

 

Minjeong smiles tightly and looks down at her lap.

 

Somehow in the quiet of her dorm with Aeri, the unsettling feeling— the itch in her disposition makes itself known, and Minjeong feels her chest tighten.

 

“You can talk to me.” Aeri nudges her softly with her shoulder. Minjeong sways from the little push and Minjeong immediately covers her face with her hands as she bursts into tears.

Aeri’s eyes widen. “H-hey - uh, I didn’t mean to make you cry!” Aeri panics as she watches Minjeong’s shoulders tremble up and down.

 

Minjeong cries and sobs into her hands like a child.

 

“Minjeong - hey, what’s going on?” Aeri asks, wrapping her arms over Minjeong’s small frame.

“I-it's nothing.” Minjeong mumbles, shaking her head.

“It’s not nothing if it’s got you crying like this.” Aeri presses.

 

Minjeong removes her hands and wipes at her face harshly. Aeri reaches over to the coffee table and gives Minjeong a tissue. The younger girl heaves her soul into it and Aeri waits patiently.

 

“It’s just - no one’s ever been my person, and you’re really nice to me, Aeri.” Minjeong sniffles and Aeri pouts— beginning to cry too.

“Aw - Minjeong..” Aeri’s bottom lip trembles.

“Yah… why are you crying?” Minjeong hiccups.

“Because you’re crying.” Aeri whines and Minjeong cracks a smile. “And now you’re laughing at me!”

“This situation is pretty ridiculous.” Minjeong sniffles as she laughs.

Aeri stops for a moment. “You’re totally right.” Aeri laughs as she wipes at her eyes.

 

They laugh it out and blow their noses until they’re cleared for talking.

 

“So… let’s talk.” Aeri begins.

“I… I’m…” Minjeong struggles.

“It’s okay. Take your time. Whatever you tell me, nothing will change.” Aeri encourages her.

“I’m…” Minjeong takes a deep breath. “I think I’m gay.”

 

Aeri blinks at her.

Minjeong blinks at Aeri.

 

“Okay. Thank you for telling me.” Aeri smiles softly. “I’m proud of you.”

Aeri leans in to hug her but then Minjeong catches her off-guard.

“And I’m in love with Jimin.” She blurts.

“What!”

 

Aeri jumps up from her seat and stares at Minjeong with wide-eyes and a slack jaw.

 

“That surprised you?” Minjeong guffaws.

“Yes! Why would it not!” Aeri is flabbergasted.

“I don’t know!” Minjeong stands up too.

“You’re in love with your best friend!” Aeri exclaims.

“I know!” Minjeong huffs.

“Why are we shouting at each other?!” Aeri asks.

“I don’t know!”

 

They settle down again, but this time at the dinner table as Aeri pulls out leftovers to heat up, since they got hungry all during that.

 

“Okay, so let me get this straight… or gay.” Aeri begins. “You’ve had a crush on Jimin since when?”

“Like since freshman year?” Minjeong says. “I don’t know when. It just happened. Like one day I looked at her and kind of was like, oh - I’m in love with Yu Jimin.”

Aeri squeals loudly. “So cute - anyways.”

 

Minjeong almost rolls her eyes.

 

“So you’ve just been keeping your feelings to yourself this whole time?” Aeri asks. “Three years is a long time, man.”

“It’s not long for me, I guess? We’ve been friends longer since high school. Plus, I only really just came to terms with it recently.” Minjeong shrugs.

“Are you going to do anything about it?” Aeri asks, sitting down with the heated food.

Minjeong grabs a pair of chopsticks and grabs a piece of meat— blowing on it. “No. I haven’t thought that far.”

“Would you want to do something about it?” Aeri questions and Minjeong hums.

“Not really, no.” Minjeong says.

“Seriously?” Aeri asks.

“Well, yeah. We’ve been friends for ages. I’d rather not tell her because it’d definitely change the dynamic.” Minjeong tells her and Aeri nods but then she pauses.

“Wait, wait, wait - have you told Jimin you’re gay?” Aeri halts the conversation.

 

Minjeong grins sheepishly. “Uh… no?”

“What!” Aeri flips out again.

“Stop shouting at me!” Minjeong whines.

“Okay - sorry, sorry.” Aeri clams herself down. “But, what!” 

“I only just came to terms with it and I was preparing myself to tell you all during that.” Minjeong tells her and Aeri pouts again, making her huff resignedly. “...do not cry again.”

“You wanted to tell me first?” Aeri coos and Minjeong sighs deeply.

 

It was going to be a long night.

 

“Are you going to tell Ning too?” Aeri asks.

“I don’t think she’ll care all that much.” Minjeong snorts.

“Send her a message then.” Aeri tells her. 

 

Aeri looks over Minjeong’s shoulder as she messages her.


 

> Hey I’m gay.


 

“Seriously?” Aeri deadpans and Minjeong shrugs with a smile.


 

< Word.


 

“Oh you two are unbelievable.” Aeri throws her hands up in the air as she scoffs and Minjeong laughs.



 



 

Two down, another to go. Minjeong felt it was slightly easier to tell Aeri than to tell Jimin because every scenario she comes up with in her mind goes terribly wrong, and not because of Jimin in her mind, but it’s Minjeong doubts instead.

 

They’ve never tread this kind of road before in their years of friendship since it was always about boys for them. Minjeong remembers silly conversations about boys who they’d never approach in the comfortable confines of their rooms. It was true that they’d never approach a  boy, but soon Minjeong began to notice the eyes on her best friend. Jimin was a head turner as she hit puberty. She grew gracefully, taller and more mature. Minjeong feels as if she hadn’t changed that much, but she could say her features did grow sharper. Her sharp features are also why people usually shy away from Minjeong and try to talk to her through Jimin.

 

Jimin’s always been the friendlier one between them two.

 

Jimin’s kindness and friendliness makes Minjeong aware that she’ll accept her wholeheartedly, but then Minjeong doubts and feels as if the kindness of Jimin comes too easily. 

 

One day, Minjeong is brave enough to answer coherently when Jimin messages her to come over to hang, and so she says yes.

 

Minjeong stops at Jimin’s dorm and stands at the door for a little less than a minute to collect her thoughts. 

 

“Two down, another to go.” She repeats quietly before knocking on the door. The door swings open and Minjeong tries to ignore the flutter in her stomach when Jimin greets her with the brightest of smiles.

“I was wondering when we’d be able to catch each other.” Jimin smirks, pulling Minjeong in.

“We literally just agreed to meet up.” Minjeong snorts.

“Hush.” Jimin tuts at her.

 

They shuffle into the living room and Minjeong hears the faint noise of the microwave popping popcorn from the kitchen.

 

“Where’s Ning?” She asks. 

“We traded spots. She’s with Aeri.” Jimin says, going to the kitchen. The microwave beeps and Minjeong takes off her jacket and leaves it on the dinner table.

 

She settles down on the couch in front of the TV and tucks her feet underneath herself just as Jimin returns with a large bowl of popcorn.

 

“That’s a lot.” Minjeong comments with a chuckle.

“Well. I guess I popped them right.” Jimin beams. “There were barely any kernels left in the bag.”

“Good job.” Minjeong quips and Jimin elbows her gently.

 

Minjeong gets a hold of a cushion and places it on her lap, cheating some sort of safe distance between her and Jimin.

 

“So… what are we watching?” Minjeong asks.

“Love, Simon.” Jimin quips and Minjeong’s breath stutters for a moment.

“What.” Minjeong blinks.

“Yeah, Ningning told me to watch it because she was raving on about it for a couple days, so I waited to watch it with you.” Jimin tells her happily and Minjeong chuckles nervously.

“Right… that’s nice.” Minjeong feels the tip of her ears burn red.

 

Jimin reaches over Minjeong to get the remote on the side table. Minjeong’s eyes shake nervously, feeling the beating of her heart quicken as Aeri’s words resonate in her head from their previous conversation about her coming out to Jimin. 

 

“Wait.” Minjeong blurts and Jimin turns to her, surprised.

“What’s wrong?” Jimin asks.

“Um, b-before we watch the movie - I have something to say.” Minjeong breathes out and Jimin returns back to her position.

“Okay.” Jimin agrees, albeit slightly worried since Minjeong seems to be nervous.

 

Minjeong shakes her leg nervously and Jimin waits for Minjeong to speak.

 

“Jimin, I have something to tell you.” Minjeong can’t sit still any longer as she stands up from the couch and begins pacing— it worries Jimin.

“Okay.” Jimin nods, unblinking.

 

Minjeong paces for a little more.

 

“Give me a second.” Minjeong says before putting her hands over her head and breathing deeply.

“Hey… you can tell me anything, y’know?” Jimin says softly. “You’re my best friend. Nothing bad’s going to happen as long as I’m here.”

Minjeong visibly softens and she sits back down beside Jimin.

“What I tell you… I don’t want anything to change.” Minjeong swallows. “I don’t want you to treat me differently and I want us both to be okay… is that alright?”

“Yes. It’s always alright.” Jimin nods vigorously.

“Jimin…” Minjeong breathes in deeply. “I’m gay.”

 

Jimin’s eyes widen slightly as she tries her best to control her facial expressions, but it seems like Minjeong reads her too well.

 

“I-if you need space, I’ll understand.” Minjeong swallows. “I’ll be okay with it! I won’t hate you, y’know-”

“No.” Jimin cuts her off. She reaches over and holds both of Minjeong’s hands in her own. “No way in hell am I distancing myself from you.”

 

Minjeong’s eyes widen and she wants to fight off the blush she can feel on her ears.

 

“Nothing’s changed.” Jimin pats her head softly. “We’re still us. I still see you.”

“You see me?” Minjeong’s voice is quiet, soft and full of trepidation.

“I see you. You know I love you, Min.” Jimin affirms and Minjeong swallows and feels heat burning at her cheeks. She tries to pretend it doesn’t affect her. “Now let’s get on with the movie.”

“Okay.” Minjeong smiles bashfully.

 

The movie begins to play and Jimin makes herself comfortable in Minjeong’s personal space— laying herself in Minjeong’s lap as she snacks on the popcorn. Minjeong’s hands automatically find their way to Jimin’s long hair and the older girl hums contentedly. Minjeong almost disregards the reason why she had declined Jimin’s offer to hang a couple days ago. She feels light and warm in this moment, having Jimin’s friendship all to herself. She thinks things will be fine now, but then she remembers.

 

She remembers she’s in love with her.



 



 

Minjeong sits at her desk in her room as she types up another draft for her creative writing class. Ever since she told Jimin she was gay, her writing has slowly come back— although, the writer’s block is still present. Aeri comes into her room quietly without a word and Minjeong glances at her from the side but doesn’t interact any further. Minjeong tries to type a few more words out, but then she suddenly registers that Aeri has gotten closer and is right next to her.

 

“Yes?” Minjeong turns slowly.

“Party.” Aeri whispers.

“What kind of party?” Minjeong asks.

“Club.” Aeri answers.

“No.” Minjeong sighs.

“Please?” Aeri twinkles her lashes and Minjeong rolls her eyes.

“No.” Minjeong answers again.

“Dang it. Of course that only works with Jimin.” Aeri curses under her breath and Minjeong hears her.

“Shut up.” Minjeong tries to defend herself as a light blush coats her cheeks. 

“I will shut up if you get dressed right now since Jimin is personally coming to pick us up.” Aeri grins and Minjeong shoots up from her desk.

“What?!” Minjeong grabs Aeri by her shoulders. “Why didn’t you say that earlier!” 

“Gee, I wonder why I didn’t say that earlier as if you hadn't been ignoring me from the other room?” Aeri says sarcastically.

“No time to talk - help me pick something to wear!” Minjeong runs to her wardrobe just as a knock on their dorm room calls to their attention.

“Or maybe Jimin can pick something for you.” Aeri grins as she rushes out to open the door. Minjeong tries to grab her but just misses by a thread.

 

Minjeong hears Ningning talking to Aeri as Jimin makes her way to her room.

 

“Hello there, Jeongie.” Jimin teases as she leans on the doorframe. Minjeong tries to ignore her attraction towards the action.

“Hi.” Minjeong greets her unenthusiastically.

“Aw, I know you don’t want to party, but since I came here to get you - you have no choice to refuse.” Jimin grins as she pinches Minjeong’s cheek.

“Ow.” Minjeong swats her away, trying to hide the blush on her cheeks at the close proximity.

“Come on. I know exactly what I want you to wear!” Jimin giggles excitedly before heading over to Minjeong’s wardrobe.

 

Minjeong sits down on her bed obediently, accepting her defeat.

 

Minjeong puts on what Jimin picks out for her and sits unmoving when Jimin straightens her hair and styles her bangs neatly. She doesn’t have the heart to complain either when Jimin says she’ll do her make-up, since Jimin is so excited with a childlike glint in her eyes, Minjeong accepts it and lets her do whatever.

 

“Okay, lie down.” Jimin tells her.

“Won’t we ruin my hair?” Minjeong asks.

“We can fix it.” Jimin waves her off and pushes Minjeong down onto the bed. Minjeong stutters in her movement and falls flat abruptly. Jimin swings her leg and props her body to straddle Minjeong.

“Is this necessary?” Minjeong asks quietly.

“Very - ‘cause I definitely do not want to mess up this liner.” Jimin tightens into a line as she leans down in pure focus— all her hair over one shoulder as Minjeong looks up at her through lidded eyes.

 

She’s so…

 

Minjeong’s brain freezes when she begins to feel Jimin’s breathing on her own lips— suddenly noticing Jimin has gone closer, with one hand down on the bed beside Minjeong’s head and the other holding the eye liner.

 

Minjeong doesn't remember breathing at all during that. Jimin backs away but doesn’t move from straddling Minjeong. She releases a steady breath as Jimin stares down at her with a soft smile.

 

Jimin grins, “My pretty Minjeong.” 


 

When Minjeong exits her room with Jimin in tow, Aeri and Ningning’s jaws drop and Minjeong immediately shies away. Jimin has given Minjeong dark and heavy eye makeup and had styled her short hair neatly to lay straight. She wears a mini-skirt, a crop shirt and a leather jacket on top.

 

“What? Do I not look okay?” Minjeong blinks.

“No!” Ningning chuckles. “Girl you look amazing!”

“Minjeong I’m in love with you.” Aeri squeals and Minjeong threatens to hit both of them.

“I thought I looked bad!” Minjeong whines.

“How can you look bad if I styled you?” Jimin slings an arm over Minjeong’s shoulder and leans down close to her face. “I’m offended that you’d think of my skills like that.”

“W-well - I’ve never dressed up like this.” Minjeong turns her head, feeling all too close to the other.

 

Giselle watches curiously as Jimin openly stares at Minjeong.

 

“We should um - we should go.” Jimin looks away and tucks her hand under Minjeong’s arm safely. Minjeong doesn’t complain.

 

“Who’s party is this again?” Minjeong asks as they exit the uber.

“Guess.” Aeri snorts just as the line at the club welcomes them. Minjeong sees a bunch of people they know.

“Ah.” Minjeong nods her head. “Lee Jeno.” 

“Correct!” Aeri slings an arm over Minjeong’s shoulder and she ducks away.

 

Jimin comes and grabs Minjeong’s arm, slipping her hand lower as she intertwines their hands.

 

“Oh, I see how it is.” Aeri smirks and Minjeong grumbles. “Shut up.” 

“Let’s go!” Ningning hooks her arm with Aeri as they approach the club.

 

They join the line, and soon walk in— and Minjeong is suddenly drowned out by all the noise and people. She tries to focus on one point in the club to not get overwhelmed but there is a lot going on and she can’t seem to focus at all.

 

Jimin squeezes her hand, catching her attention and Minjeong turns to her.  

 

“Focus on me.” Jimin smiles softly.

“Okay.” Minjeong blinks.

“If it’s too much, we can leave. You didn’t actually have to agree to come.” Jimin talks into her ear. Minjeong feels the heat on the shell of her ear and she shudders.

“N-no, it’s okay.” Minjeong shakes her head. “Plus, who am I to deny you?”

Jimin grins and Minjeong finds herself smiling too.

“I like the way you think, Minjeong-ah.” Jimin holds Minjeong’s hand tighter and her heart fears that her hand might be too sweaty, but if it is— Jimin seems to choose to say nothing and not let go.

 

Something happens— it’s abrupt and it makes Minjeong feel like she’s gasping for air, lost as sea. Their contact breaks and Minjeong finds herself wanting to reach out and grab Jimin’s hand, but there she is— being spun around by none other than Lee Jeno.

 

“Glad you could make it!” Jeno grins with his signature eye smile. Minjeong almost rolls her eyes.

“Yah! Put me down!” Jimin smacks his arm hard and Minjeong smirks a little.

He puts her down with a sleazy grin. “Ow - you hit hard, woman.” 

“That’s what you get for sneaking up on me like that.” Jimin huffs.

 

Jimin tries to find her way back to Minjeong’s hand, but she pulls away subtly and Jimin frowns.

 

“I see you finally managed to bring out Minjeong.” Jeno turns his attention to her and she smiles, unimpressed.

“She did.” Minjenong deadpans and he chuckles nervously. “Right.” 

“Well, I’m here with Minjeong so scurry along.” Jimin tells him.

“Alright, find me later though.” He leans in close to Jimin and Jimin backs away slightly. “I have to talk to you.”

 

Minjeong frowns.

 

Jimin leads her to the bar where they share a couple drinks before Jimin’s eyes trail towards where the real party is. Minjeong sees Somi waving at her from the other side and she smiles and waves back. Jimin sees Somi trying to approach them and for a reason unknowing, Jimin scowls.


 

“Let’s dance!” Jimin grins and finally takes Minjeong’s hand successfully. She gets pulled to the dance floor and no refusal forms at her lips.

 

The music starts off loud and pumping, and then it turns to something sensual and moves to a steady rhythm— Minjeong feels herself blushing when Jimin pulls her in closer by wrapping her arms around her neck. Minjeong hesitantly rests her hands on Jimin’s hips as they dance.

 

“Only me.” Jimin brings her focus back and Minjeong feels a heat rise to her cheeks, and she hopes it’s not visible in this club lighting.

 

Only you, only you, only you— Minjeong hears her own voice in her mind chant over, and over again.

 

Jimin never once breaks eye contact and Minjeong doesn’t back down either, even if her heart threatens to burst out of her rib cage each passing second. 

 

Jimin pulls them closer and leans down close to Minjeong’s ear.

 

“You’re beautiful, Minjeong-ah.” Jimin’s husky voice penetrates the sound around them— drowning out all the other sounds and voices at the club. Minjeong swallows thickly and breathes out slowly.

“Y-you too.” Minjeong curses at herself for her flusteredness. Jimin catches on and giggles softly into her neck.

“You’re so cute.” Jimin grins.

 

Minjeong relishes in this moment as best as she can. She feels all her senses are heightened and her heart beats like the drums of war— and she doesn’t want to pull away at all. This is what occupies her mind during the day and the night when she sleeps. These are her best dreams, and worst nightmares all at once. It all feels so right, yet so wrong and Minjeong begins to feel sick as a lump forms in , and the atmosphere seems so heavy.

 

Minjeong's eyes look around the party as she tries to avoid Jimin’s gaze, and it unfortunately lands on Jeno, who seems to be approaching them. Minjeong swallows the hard lump in and it hurts to do so. She removes her hands from Jimin’s hips and backs away. Jimin searches her eyes and Minjeong looks down, away from Jimin’s warm eyes.

 

“Hey, was it too much?” Jimin asks, trying to reach out to her but Minjeong shakes her head.

“Sorry, just-” Minjeong tries to think of something to say, but nothing forms as Jeno swoops right in— placing his wretched hands on Jimin.

 

Minjeong turns away and exits the crowd.

 

She misses it by a second as she walks away, but there is Jimin— looking like a lost puppy chasing after their owner.



 

The next day, Minjeong isn’t all that hungover but her head does sort of hurt. She made her own way home and left the club pretty quickly. Maybe around 2am Aeri returned and jumped into bed with Minjeong. Minjeong was disheartened and too tired to tell Aeri to get out since she reeked of alcohol and was wearing outside clothes, so she left Aeri alone and slept beside her.

 

Minjeong sighs and gets up, pushing her blanket to Aeri’s side more.

 

She prepares a small breakfast for the two of them and eats hers quickly since she had to meet with a professor in the morning to ask about something. Aeri wakes up shortly after just as Minjeong puts on her shoes.

 

“Morning.” Minjeong greets her.

“Morn.” Aeri quips.

“I made breakfast. There's water and medicine, take it.” Minjeong instructs her and Aeri nods sleepily.

“Bye - I gotta go.” Minjeong says before leaving.


Aeri slumps her body against the dinner table, hitting her head.


 

The day seems to go by quickly since a buzz in Minjeong’s head had been affecting her all day ever since yesterday. Every corner she turns, she fears she'll bump into Jimin— or worse, Jimin and Jeno and at this point in time, her heart can’t take it anymore.

 

She’s lining up at the cafeteria for lunch, craving a sandwich when out of the corner of her eye, she spots Jimin entering the cafeteria. She tries not to stare for too long but when she sees Jeno approach her, Minjeong looks away.

 

She buys the sandwich quickly and scans the area to see an empty table, but then she sees Jimin sitting with Ningning, and the older girl seems to be beckoning her over any second, so she looks away quickly and heads over to another table, where she spots a fellow classmate.

 

“Wassup.” Somi blinks when Minjeong abruptly slams down her tray.

“Nothing’s up.” Minjeong chuckles nervously. Somi subtly looks over Minjeong’s shoulder to see Jimin with a glare aimed at her. She moves back immediately.

“Ah, trouble in paradise. I see.” Somi laughs.

“Shut up. There’s no trouble in paradise.” Minjeong grumbles.

“Penny for your thoughts?” Somi asks.

“No thanks.” Minjeong shakes her head.

“Alright. Suit yourself.” Somi shrugs. “But since you sat here, you have to hear what me and my circle are wearing to the halloween fest!”

 

Oh boy. Minjeong sighs.

Ningning feels sad too when she finds Jimin pouting when they see Minjeong sit with Somi. She doesn’t feel sad at first because there’s a jealous glint in her eyes, and then the cute pout, but then Jimin’s eyes look like they lose light and dim when they watch Minjeong.



 



 

Jimin notices it like a change in season, a change in the wind and a new obstacle places itself in her way. Minjeong is avoiding her. Is she one-hundred-percent sure? Maybe seventy-percent sure. She hasn’t seen Minjeong around at all since the party, and Jimin feels it all on her part because she could have been overwhelming Minjeong— which she never, ever wants to do.

 

Jimin wallows in sadness for a while. She tries messaging Minjeong, but the younger girl always has an excuse or may sometimes just leave on her read. It disheartens her.

 

Jimin wants to know what she did exactly to Minjeong for her to be avoiding her at every chance.

 

Jimin sighs again into her pillow.

 

A few stomps from the next door alerts her, and then Ningning’s climbing into bed with her.

 

“Jimin-unnie.” Ningning huffs.
“Hm?” Jimin hums.

“You better get your up and look for your girl because if you sigh one more time, I’m killing you.” Ningning says coldly and Jimin shoots up from her bed.

“You sound terrifyingly serious.” Jimin chuckles nervously.

“Don’t test me.” Ningning grins at her sweetly and Jimin begins to back away from her bed very slowly.

“Okay… I’ll go.” Jimin says and Ningning smiles. “Finally. Good luck, unnie!” 


 

Jimin calculates it perfectly in her head. Minjeong’s sitting way in the back and Jimin’s sitting in the front. If the teacher dismisses them, everyone will be packed up and the people in the back will take slightly longer to reach the front to exit— which means if Jimin packs away slightly slower than she usually does, the room will empty and Minjeong will be walking to the front.

 

It happens just as she favoured in her mind as she successfully watches the class empty. She swings her back over her shoulder and sees Minjeong from the corner of her eye walking down. She moves quickly to the door and stands in the way of it— blocking any possible escape.

 

Minjeong stops abruptly and looks up to find Jimin, looking more determined than ever for whatever reason.

 

“You’ve been avoiding me ever since the party.” Jimin doesn’t question it— she states it boldly.

“I haven’t - I've been busy with writing.” Minjeong excuses, trying to step to the side to leave the room, but Jimin blocks her.

“You’re still trying to avoid me.” Jimin huffs frustratedly.

“I’m not - I said I was busy.” Minjeong is just as frustrated.

“Liar.” Jimin accuses and Minjeong frowns.

“Look - I’ve been busy, Jimin - a-and I have something to do right now, so if you could please move out of the way, I’d really appreciate it.” Minjeong says, closing her eyes briefly.

“I’ll move if you tell me why you keep avoiding me.” Jimin proposes and Minjeong sighs.

 

“Jimin.” Minjeong tries to move again, but Jimin clasps a hand around Minjeong’s wrist.

“Please?” Jimin pleads softly. “We haven’t really been best friends, Minjeong-ah… I miss you.”

Minjeong stills for a moment and softens.

“I- I can’t…” Minjeong shakes her head, looking away.

“You don’t miss me?” Jimin steps forward and Minjeong steps back. 

“J-Jimin.” Minjeong’s attempt to stop this is futile and weak.

“We’ve been apart for so long, Minjeong-ah.” Jimin’s frown hardens. “Why don’t you miss me like I miss you?”

 

Jimin steps closer and Minjeong continues back.

 

“Are you talking to someone? Is that why you’re avoiding me?” Jimin jumps to another conclusion. “Is it that Somi girl?”

Minjeong huffs before shaking off Jimin’s grip on her.

“Why should you care if I'm talking to someone? I find you doing the same with Jeno but I don’t say anything.” Minjeong grits her teeth.

“So it’s that, then?” Jimin raises a brow.
“No, it’s not - just”, Minjeong clenches her fist. “Just stop. It’s nothing, Jimin.” 

“It’s something if you can’t even act like a best friend to me, Minjeong.” Jimin scowls.

“Well - not everything's about you!” Minjeong spits and Jimin recoils.

 

The words burn on Minjeong’s tongue and she wants to apologise immediately when she sees the pained expression on Jimin’s face and her dimmed eyes, but she cannot stand to be this close to Jimin for too long. She pushes aside and leaves the room, heading to the open grass field at their campus since it’s a short-cut to the dorms. 

 

“Kim Minjeong!” Jimin’s voice calls out. Minjeong whips around and finds Jimin had been following her up until this point.

“Look - I’m sorry for what I said, I just-” 

“Did you mean it?” Jimin’s eyes are watery, Minjeong notices first. “Did you mean what you said?”
“No - Jimin, I could never mean something like that - it was just a spur of the moment, okay? Don’t dwell on it.” Minjeong turns away again, but Jimin grabs her again and Minjeong tries to shake her off, but Jimin’s grip is stronger this time.

“Could you please stop walking away from me!” Jimin huffs, tears finally spilling. “Just tell me what I did wrong?”

“You didn’t do anything wrong - just let me go, please.” Minjeong feels a pain building up in her chest— creeping up to .

“What did I do?” Jimin cries softly and Minjeong finally pulls away.

“Just stop!” She almost screams.

 

Jimin backs away slightly and watches as Minjeong begins to cry.

 

“You need to stop doing this to me!” Minjeong cries. “You keep giving me all these mixed signals and I don’t know what it means!” 

“Minjeong…” Jimin calls her so softly it makes Minjeong want to throw up.

“I know we’re best friends - that’s where our boundaries stop, but these days you keep messing with me, crossing those boundaries - and maybe you’re taking pity on me because I’m gay and you think I’m some plaything for you - but I have feelings, Jimin!” Minjeong finally bursts. “You make me all confused! You tell me how much you love me, you’re too affectionate, you get jealous, and I don’t know what it means!” 

 

“You’re not a plaything, Minjeong - you’re my-” Jimin hesitates. “You’re my best friend. I just want you to have everything. I didn’t want to treat you differently because I was weird for a couple days and I wanted to compensate.”

“Compensate for what!” Minjeong huffs exasperatedly. “I told you we could have some space between us after that day but you chose not to!”

“Because I didn’t want to be apart from you!” Jimin shouts and it almost rears Minjeong speechless.

 

“I just… I want the best for you, Minjeong.” Jimin sighs. “I don’t want anyone to treat you differently. I won't let them… you deserve the world.”

 

Minjeong’s tears fall harshly and do not stop. Jimin steps forward and Minjeong steps back again— making Jimin frown deeper.

 

Minjeong cannot meet Jimin’s eyes and she finds that this time, it is best to tell the truth.

 

“...you’re always telling me that I deserve the world, but I don’t know how to tell you that I already have the world— just here, standing next to you, looking at you, and just with you.” Minjeong lays herself bare.

 

Jimin stares, mouth slightly ajar— eyes glazed with shock.

 

“I’m in love with you.” Minjeong swallows as she drops her arms by her sides, swinging them weakly. “That’s it.”

 

“I don't know how, I don’t know when, but I just know... I know that I’m in love with you and I don’t know how to stop.”

 

Jimin tries to reel in her thoughts— tries to open to say something, to try to remedy the feeling in her chest and why it hurts so much seeing Minjeong like this. There’s a tear rolling down Minjeong’s cheek and Jimin wants nothing more than to wipe it away.

 

“I just… I saw you on that day in the wind, and a leaf flew to your hair - and in that moment, I just knew I was going to do something really stupid or brave of me to keep you around longer.” Minjeong huffs as she recalls that day.

 

First day of university, Minjeong was desperately trying to look for her best friend in the sea of other students— and when she did find her, she was also looking for Minjeong. Eyes desperately searching and wind blowing harshly as it tousled with Minjeong’s bangs. Just as she reached to adjust her hair, everything seemed to gain some sort of clarity and there was Jimin in the wind— turning around and smiling at her as a small green leaf from the trees flew down to land on her head. It was just so beautiful, everything— and Jimin. 

 

It was as simple as that. It wasn’t a big revelation that felt like a plane crashing, or fireworks exploding, no — it was just that: Oh. I’m in love with my best friend. And then Minjeong thought nothing was going to change in that moment, but suddenly it all began to move so fast and her feelings grew too much until it began to make her feel mad.

 

“...Minjeong.” Jimin gasps quietly.

“I know I’m meant to say something like it won’t change anything, but I can’t guarantee it because things definitely have been changing because sometimes I can’t stand to be in the same room as you-” Minjeong rasps in a heavy breath. “because that’s just the extent of how much I love you.” 

 

It’s silent between them.

 

“...what are we going to do?” Jimin asks quietly, desperately— still trying to hold onto Minjeong.

 

Minjeong wills herself to speak again.

 

“...remember when we first agreed to be friends?” Minjeong asks and Jimin nods slowly. “We said if anything ever happens between us and we need a cool down period, we’ll pretend we don’t exist to each other for two weeks, right?”
“Minjeong, no - we don’t have to.” Jimin steps forward and Minjeong steps back.

“Please. I’m not in the right headspace right now, and all I think about is you - it just hurts sometimes and I don’t want to hurt you anymore.” Minjeong her lips and tastes the salt in her tears. “I need a step back. I’m sorry.” 

 

Jimin swallows thickly.

 

“..okay.” She agrees reluctantly. 

“Thank you.” Minjeong ducks her head.

“But on my terms too.” Jimin steps forward again and Minjeong looks up. “...I don’t want us to ignore each other for two weeks because then I’ll go crazy. I don’t need messages everyday, I just need you to look me in the eye and not run away. I can give you space but I also still want to know you’re there.”

 

Minjeong blinks.

 

“I know you’re in love with me but we’re also best friends. I need to know we’ll be able to come back to each other. You’re my best friend and I don’t want you to disappear from my life.” Jimin says softly.

“You’re my best friend too.” Minjeong says just as soft.

 

The wind blows gently this time as Minjeong turns away and begins to walk. This time, Jimin does not halt her. 



 



 

“You guys are being weird.” Aeri says when she sees Jimin eyes flit to Minjeong. They share a look and then they look away immediately.

“It’s the two-week cool down.” Minjeong tells her.

“What? Seriously?” Aeri blinks. “What happened?”

Minjeong purses her lips and decides whether she should tell her or not, but she does anyway. “I confessed to her.”

“What like you stole her test answers or something?” Aeri asks and Minjeong shakes her head lightly.

“Not that kind of confession.” Minjeong quips and not even a beat afterwards:

“Oh my god.” Aeri grabs her arm. “You told her that you’re in love with her?”

“Yup.” Minjeong sighs.

 

They try to get on with the lesson, but Minjeong can still feel that Aeri wants to ask questions.

 

“Yes?” She turns to her.

“So… how’d it go?” Aeri asks.

“Well, obviously it went well if we agreed on the two-week cool down.” Minjeong says sarcastically.

“Be serious.” Aeri backhands her forearm lightly.

“Well - we argued, she cried, I cried, I ended up pouring out my entire soul out and she just looked at me without any words, and I wanted to run away.” Minjeong recounts.

“O-oh, wow.” Aeri nods with her brows raised. “Sounds like it went well.”

“Yeah. I was there.” Minjeong deadpans.

 

Aeri knuckles the side of her head and she winces.

 

“What - can you stop hitting me!” Minjeong pouts.

“Obviously she would’ve had nothing to say because what the hell. If I had a confession from a writing major, I’d be speechless too.” Aeri says and Minjeong almost rolls her eyes.

“Well. It happened.” Minjeong shrugs.

 

Aeri looks forward and finds Jimin subtly trying to peek at Minjeong from the side of her long hair.

 

Huh.

 

“Did you ever stop and think she might feel that same thing for you?” Aeri turns back as she asks and Minjeong snorts.

“If I had known it was mutual, I would’ve asked her out and not sacrificed my dignity.” Minjeong says.

“Makes sense.” Aeri nods with no further questions since Minjeong shot her down completely.

 

Two rows down, this was what was happening.

 

“Unnie, seriously?” Ningning huffs and Jimin whips her head back around.

“W-what?” Jimin blinks.

“If you’re going to stare at her, be a little more subtle.” Ningning advises her.

“What - I wasn’t staring!” Jimin whispers.

“Could’ve fooled me.” Ningning shrugs, going back to her work.

 

Jimin huffs at the accusation. It wasn’t that she wasn’t doing it because she definitely was, but being caught is embarrassing and damaging to the dignity she has.

 

“...I wasn’t.” Jimin whispers.

“I didn’t ask.” Ningning sticks her tongue out at her and Jimin pinches her.

“Ow!” Ningning  exclaims and people begin to look at them. Jimin puts her head down on the desk and pretends she was busy doing her work.

“Now I’ll definitely kill you.” Ningning whispers with her nostrils flared and Jimin sticks her tongue out.

 

Minjeong watches them wistfully.



 



 

Minjeong feels Aeri before she even says a word or even approaches her.

 

“No.” Minjeong says, still facing her laptop.

“Aw come on!” Aeri’s just about to step into Minjeong’s room. “You don’t even know what I was going to say!”

“I don’t need you to say it, I know what today is.” Minjeong sighs.

“Then if you know, you have to come.” Aeri says, sitting on Minjeong’s bed.

“I said no.” Minjeong continues typing away.

“Even if I say please?” Aeri pouts.

“Even if you dance and beg.” Minjeong deadpans.

 

Aeri huffs.

 

She walks over and grabs the back of Minjeong’s chair before spinning her around to face her.

 

“You haven’t even been typing a proper sentence!” Aeri exclaims. “You wrote ‘the’ twenty times!”

“I have writer’s block!” Minjeong defends herself.

“You know what will unblock your writer’s block?” Aeri proposes.

“What?” Minjeong rolls her eyes, very uninterested.

“If you got outside and did your little observing tactic to get inspiration.” Aeri tells her and Minjeong sighs.

“But I’m so lazy…” Minjeong whines.

“You’re just trying to avoid Jimin-” Minjeong opens to protest Aeri’s accusation, but the latter doesn’t let her speak. “and don’t say you’re not because I have eyes, Kim Minjeong.”

 

Minjeong pouts and crosses her arms over her chest.

 

“Your two weeks are almost over - like it literally ends tomorrow. You’re going to have to get back to being bffs because Jimin genuinely cannot live a day without you.” Aeri says softly. “Like she’d genuinely explode if you aren’t within two metres of her.” 

“Yeah, yeah… I know.” Minjeong sighs.

“So please come with me to the Halloween fest to get writing inspiration, hang out with me, and possibly see Jimin?” Aeri asks again. “... maybe touch some grass while you’re at it too.” 

“Ha - ha.” Minjeong rolls her eyes.

 

She looks at Aeri’s puppy dog expression before caving.

 

“Fine.” 



 

“I look fine, right?” Jimin asks again. “Ning?”

“Yes, unnie.” Ningning sighs. “You look beautiful, as always. This is the tenth time you’ve asked. Do you even know if she’s coming?”

“Thanks, and I’m just anxious.” Jimin pouts as she adjusts her fake vampire fangs. “I asked Aeri and she said she got Minjeong on board.”
“Minjeong’s seen you like for years. Why are you worried about what you look like now?” Ningning asks, pushing back her witch’s hat to see properly since it was too big.

“Well…” Jimin doesn’t really have an answer for that. “I don’t know.”

“See. No need to worry because you are beautiful and Minjeong’s loved you through all of that. She’s not going to suddenly change her mind for no reason.” Ningning reassures her.

“Thanks, Ning.” Jimin smiles softly. “You’re really the best, y’know?”
“Of course I know.” Ningning grins, booping Jimin on the nose with her wand.

 

Jimin continues to look around the sea of people to find any signs of Aeri, and hopefully Minjeong. Aeri said she was going as Harley Quinn, so she was looking for her, but she had already seen so many Harley’s— her mind hurts.

 

Somehow, she doesn’t actually need to locate the two because Aeri finds them first— well she also hears Aeri first.

 

“Yu Jimin! Ning Yizhou!” Aeri shouts.

“Oh great, my government name.” Ningning chuckles.

“Yu - Oh you’re here!” Aeri runs towards them and pounces onto them. Luckily there’s two of them to support Aeri, but even with the two of them— they feel Aeri’s strength and stagger a bit.

“Oof - careful.” Jimin chuckles.

“I’m just so excited to be all together again!” Aeri squeals. “Ning and I felt like divorced parents taking turns to take the kids.” 

“Haha - very funny.” Jimin rolls her eyes.

“Speaking of our other child - where is she?” Ningning asks.

“She’s sulking.” Aeri laughs but Jimin tunes out when she sees Minjeong trotting through the crowd with a scowl on her face.

 

Jimin immediately smiles and bursts into laughter when Minjeong comes into complete view.

 

She’s wearing normal clothes with a varsity jacket, but Aeri somehow had fluffy brown pointed ears just for Minjeong. On the tip of Minjeong’s nose, Aeri had drawn a nose using her eyebrow pencil.

 

“Don’t laugh.” Minjeong tells Jimin and she only laughs even harder.

“You’re so cute!” Ningning doubles over.

“Right! My little puppy - she’s adorable!” Aeri gushes.

“I thought you said I was a werewolf!” Minjeong pouts.

“You are!” Aeri cackles.

“Just a very cute one.” Jimin says with a light chuckle and Minjeong blinks— losing herself in Jimin’s cute laugh and totally hot chic vampire look.

“Thanks.” She blushes. “You look cool as a vampire too.”

“Thanks too.” Jimin’s blush matches Minjeong’s.

 

Ningning and Aeri share a look.

 

“Alright, let’s get drinks!” Aeri pulls Minjeong away. 

 

They make it to the drinks but see Jeno doing a keg stand, so they steer away to find if there’s another table of drinks. They find a smaller one, but it still suffices. They fill four cups and Aeri hands Minjeong them one by one.


 

Ningning turns to Jimin.

 

“You guys are like seconds away from making out with each other.” Ningning passes a comment.

“What- Ning!” Jimin gasps.

“What? I’m not wrong.” Ningning shrugs as if she didn’t state something so scandalous so casually.

“Just - you know what, I don’t know what to do with you sometimes.” Jimin shakes her head.

“I’m so glad your two weeks are over tomorrow.” Ningning says. “It was honestly exhausting tiptoeing around the both of you.”


Jimin looks down at her feet dejectedly and Ningning notices.

 

“Aren’t you happy about it?” She asks.

“I am, but..” Jimin hesitates. “What if we don’t go back to normal after it? What if she still avoids me?”

“I mean, it’s guaranteed it won’t go back to normal one-hundred-percent, but Minjeong’s in love with you and you’re in love with Minjeong. You both love each other.” Ningning says it simply. “It’s up to you how you want it to go.”

“I know I want to love her.” Jimin confesses as her eyes find their way back to Minjeong.

“Love her like this, or be with her completely?” Ningning questions.

“Completely. Like everything.” Jimin says. 

“Simple then. When you guys talk again, tell her about your feelings and decide what you guys want together.” Ningning says.

“I’m just..” Jimin sighs. “I’m scared.”

“Aye~ When is Yu Jimin scared of anything?” Ningning pokes her with her wand.

“I’m just terrified of the prospect that I might lose Minjeong forever.” Jimin breathes out, eyes still on Minjeong.

“You won’t.” Ningning says softly. “You both need each other. Minjeong needs you just as much as you need her. You guys literally can’t exist without each other.”

“Really?” Jimin looks at Ningning.

“If soulmates, twin flames, or if one true love’s exist - then I seriously think you guys are like that.” Ningning tells her. “Even if you guys are really gross and maybe even gross-er when you get together - your love is pure and sweet. It’s rare.” 

“You’re sweet, Ning.” Jimin brings the shorter girl into a hug. “I love you.”

“Love you too, stinky-.” Ningning pats her on the back.


 

Aeri looks around and her eyes land on Ningning chatting her way, while Jimin is barely listening and only staring at Minjeong.

 

“Jeez.” Aeri chuckles.

“What?” Minjeong turns to her.

“Either she adores you too much, or she’s definitely in love with you.” Aeri says as she watches Jimin’s pitiful eyes following Minjeong.

“Shut up.” Minjeong elbows Aeri in the ribs after accidentally making eye-contact with Jimin.

“Come on - it’s been two weeks and Jimin’s been practically yearning for you.” Aeri stops Minjeong. “Please tell me that by now you’ve considered she might actually be in love with you?”

“I haven’t - I don’t want to think of something like that.” Minjeong huffs stubbornly.

“Minjeong.” Aeri deadpans.

“Aeri.” Minjeong copies her and Aeri sighs.

“Just give me a reason why you think she wouldn’t reciprocate.” Aeri tells her and Minjeong rolls her eyes.

“Just because…” Minjeong shrugs almost defeatedly.

“Because…?” Aeri continues for her.

“I’m not going to say some b.s like she’s Yu Jimin and I’m just me.” Minjeong huffs. “It’s because we’ve been friends for so long, and suddenly I come out to her and she’s acting differently towards me.” 

 

“What do you think that means?” Aeri asks softly.

“I think it means she’s pitying me because I’ve never actually been with a girl since Jimin’s always around me, or she’s confused because her best friend is suddenly gay.” Minjeong confesses.

“Minjeong, no - you were never ‘suddenly’ gay. That doesn’t make sense.” Aeri stops her in her tracks. “You’ve always been gay. It just took you some time to come to terms with it.” 

“Thanks, Aeri.” Minjeong smiles softly.

“And listen… I seriously think Jimin has some kind of feelings towards you.” Aeri says and Minjeong looks up again.

“...what makes you think that?” Minjeong asks quietly.

“Did I act weird around you when you came out to me?” Aeri asks and Minjeong shakes her head.

“No..” 

“And did Ningning?” Aeri asks again.

“No.” Minjeong responds.

“What I’m trying to say is that Jimin only acted weird around you because she realised her feelings towards you too.” Aeri tells her. “She probably never thought in a million years that her best friend would have a possibility of liking her back - just like you.”

 

Minjeong brushes her off again.

 

“I think you’re reading into things too much.” Minjeong dismisses.

“Could you please stop being so stubborn!” Aeri shakes her shoulders violently.

“I can’t help it.” Minjeong pouts. “What you’re trying to imply is almost impossible!”

“Almost impossible - see? There is some possibility we’re both hoping for!” Aeri says happily and Minjeong groans.

“You’re impossible, Aeri.” Minjeong sighs.

“Impossible and Aeri do not go in a sentence together.” Aeri sticks her tongue out. “Anything I do, I make it possible.”

“Okay, okay. Whatever you say.” Minjeong shakes her head lightly.

“Let’s get back to them before Ningning thinks we drank them and then refilled them.” Aeri says.

“That’s really specific.” Minjeong blinks.

 

They make their way back to Jimin and Ningning and hand their drinks over.

 

“Took you guys long enough.” Ningning says. “Did you drink them and then refilled them?” 

“See.” Aeri turns to Minjeong and she laughs into her cup.

“What? What’d I say that was wrong?” Ningning questions.

“Nothing, nothing - I was just talking to Minjeong about her being stubborn over there.” Aeri shrugs and Minjeong sends her a not-so subtle glare, which Jimin catches.

“Really? I was doing something similar.” Ningning smiles cryptically and Jimin elbows her slightly, which Minjeong sees.

 

“Yo! Aeri!” Someone calls out. They all look around and find Mark coming down to approach them.

“Yo Mark.” Aeri greets with a nod of her head.

“They’re doing beer pong, you and Ningning gotta come! I bet we’ll beat you two again.” Mark grins.

“Can’t say no to an offer like that - and no way will you beat us.” Ningning scoffs. “Come on.”

 

Ningning links her arm with Aeri and begins to drag them away.

 

“Be good to each other!” Aeri calls back out to Jimin and Minjeong.

“What-” Minjeong opens to say something but Aeri and Ningning have made it too far already and wouldn’t hear her. The other two blink and watch as Ningning and Aeri leave— leaving behind silence in their wake.

 

Minjeong turns back to Jimin.

 

“So...” Jimin chuckles awkwardly.

“So.” Minjeong parrots.

“God, we’re bad at this.” They burst into laughter.

“I know.. It’s been long.” Minjeong agrees.

“How - how have you been?” Jimin asks Minjeong.

“Been okay I guess.” Minjeong shrugs. She can’t really put what she’s been feeling into words since it feels like everything in her life has barely changed. All she felt in those two weeks were a bit of realisation, peace, and admittedly— a whole lot of time spent missing Jimin.  

“You?” Minjeong asks Jimin this time.

“Could be better.” Jimin smiles softly and Minjeong still flushes.

 

Jimin spent the two weeks wallowing much and trying to hold the last ounce of self-control she had remaining because it took everything in her body not to just run over to Minjeong. Since they agreed with no communication, Jimin has desperately spent most of the time glancing Minjeong’s way to have any acknowledgement. Some eye contact was what she usually got and sometimes smiles— which made her happy, and Ningning called her ‘whipped’. 

 

“I guess we’re kind of breaking the two week cool down right now.” Jimin says quietly.

“It’s a few hours until midnight.” Minjeong shrugs. “It won’t do us any harm.” She smiles and Jimin blinks in surprise. “It’d be hard not to talk to you when you look this beautiful.” Minjeong smiles and Jimin guffaws, slightly taken aback.

“Are you - are you flirting?” Jimin blinks rapidly.

“Sorry - was I?” Minjeong grins. “I was just stating the obvious.”

“You’re bold.” Jimin nudges her shoulder and Minjeong laughs.

“But I’m not wrong.” She shrugs.

“I guess… it’d be hard to stay away from you too when you look this cute.” Jimin says and in return, Minjeong’s cheeks grow warm.

“I look silly.” Minjeong pouts.

“Why? Aeri made you into such a cute little puppy!” Jimin laughs.

“I’m a werewolf!” Minjeong huffs and Jimin laughs so hard until her eyes crinkle away.

 

Minjeong watches in awe, feeling warmth in her chest rather than pain she had been feeling for a while.

 

“Yeah you are.” Jimin looks at Minjeong fondly.

“And you’re a vampire.” Minjeong says with a joking sneer. “We’re sworn enemies.” 

“I could name a few tales where vampires and werewolves fall in love and live just fine.” Jimin chuckles but she stops when she sees Minjeong’s cute wide eyed expression, and then she realises her slip of the tongue.

“I mean - uh -” Jimin stammers, feeling her face get hot and red.

“I get what you mean.” Minjeong stops her with a smile. “I know those tales too.”

“Right.” Jimin stiffens. “Sorry - I’m a little awkward right now.”

“Why?” Minjeong tilts her head cutely. “It’s only me.”

“Yeah…” Jimin looks at her shoes for a second before looking back up at Minjeong with a gentle expression. “Only you.”


 

Over at beer pong, Ningning and Aeri were sort of losing— and not because they were bad, but because they were distracted by their two friends metres away from them.

 

“What do you think they’re talking about?” Ningning asks Aeri, who is just about to throw a ping pong ball.

“I don’t know but I’m just glad they’re talking again, honestly.” Aeri answers, not looking at Ningning as she throws the ball and misses the cup. “!”

“And you lose!” Mark hollers as he fist bumps Chenle.

“You snooze!” Chenle cackles and Ningning’s nostrils flare.

“You made us lose!” Ningning whines to Aeri.

“What! You distracted me!” Aeri accuses Ninging.

“Okay - yeah, I kinda did.” Ningning accepts defeat.

 

The other side of the table celebrates noisily and Aeri can’t seem to care since her eyes are on the moving pair of friends.

 

“Look - they’re going somewhere.” Ningning nudges her.

“I feel like saying we should follow them is bad but I definitely do want to follow them.” Aeri says to Ningning.

“I definitely think we should.” Ningning nods. “Let’s go.” 

 

The two leave the party and make their way (much drunkenly) down to trail Jimin and Minjeong.


 

Minjeong and Jimin had opted to move somewhere quieter and less populated since they felt like it’d be best to catch up in an environment that wouldn’t overwhelm the both of them.

 

“How’s writing going for you?” Jimin asks as they walk side by side.

“Not bad, but I will admit I am still in a bit of a writer’s block.” Minjeong sighs.

“Really? How bad?” Jimin humours her.

“Bad, like in twelfth grade when I couldn’t think of what to do for our english assignment.” Minjeong exaggerates.

“Oh, so bad, bad.” Jimin laughs and Minjeong elbows her.

“Don’t laugh at my struggle!” Minjeong whines.

“I’m not!” Jimin chuckles. “If anything, you’ll always bounce back in no time. You’re not the best writer in the entire school for nothing.” 

“Ha ha.” Minjeong shakes her head lightly.

“Need I remind you of the countless awards and recognitions you received in high school?” Jimin says cockily and Minjeong blushes hard.

“Okay, I get it.” Minjeong laughs softly. “I’ll get past it.” We’ll get past this, goes unsaid.

 

They stop wandering aimlessly and stop at a bench near a pathway and trees. Ningning and Aeri also make it there safely too, seeking refuge behind a tree as they try to stand tall and still.

 

“It’s nice.” Jimin says quietly.

“Hm?” Minjeong turns to Jimin.

“Nothing - just…” Jimin looks away bashfully. “Just how nice it is to be back with you.”

“Oh.” Minjeong blinks as the tips of her ears grow warm.

“I-I really missed you, Minjeong.” Jimin confesses faintly.

“I missed you too.” Minjeong swallows thickly and Jimin clears .

“Sorry, I’m being a bit sappy.” Jimin chuckles nervously.

“It’s okay. I don’t mind.” Minjeong reassures her.

 

The wind blows harshly and a bunch of leaves sweep in from the ground and as well as loose leaves begin to fall from the trees too. 

 

“Will we go back to normal?” Jimin asks meekly.

“I’d like to.” Minjeong says. “...I really would like us to go back to being best friends.” 

“Really?” Jimin looks up to Minjeong.

Minjeong says softly, “I don’t want anything to change. I’m glad I got to say my piece and a weight’s been lifted off my shoulders. I can be your best friend again, just like before.” 

 

Jimin feels a rush of anxiety or maybe adrenaline suddenly takes over her.

 

“I don’t want to be best friends.” Jimin blurts and Minjeong blinks, taken aback.

“Uh, wait - that came out wrong.” Jimin word barfs. “I meant that I don’t think I can stay best friends with you after this because… because I also want to say my piece too.”

 

Minjeong regards her with soft and round childlike eyes, Jimin feels nervous to speak.

 

“Um… I’ve always thought of you with the utmost fondness, Minjeong.” Jimin begins. “Ever since I met you, I just felt this kind of love blossom and it made me want to always keep you happy, safe and warm.”

 

Minjeong’s eyes grow rounder.

 

“I basically became attuned to you and all your needs and it made me happy just doing what I could beside you… hanging out with you and just simply seeing you was my constant highlight of my days.” Jimin takes a deep breath. “I guess what I am trying to say is… I like you.”

 

“Jimin-” Minjeong tries to speak.

 

“Well - I’m in love with you actually.” Jimin shakes her head lightly. “And I want you to know I’m being genuine and not that I magically came to love you in those two weeks - because I definitely didn’t and I’ve always loved you since the beginning-”

 

“Jimin wait-”

 

“But it also took me some time to realise it because I’m a little dense and regarded me being overly protective, doting, and partially jealous as just being a good best friend - but turns out I want to love you and-

 

“Yu Jimin - for god’s sake!” Minjeong exclaims and it shuts Jimin up right away.

“I’msorry - didIsaytoomuch?” Jimin’s expression grows small and her bottom lip quivers.

 

“No, I think you said just enough.” Minjeong laughs. “So you’re telling me you liked me all this time?” 

“Well - yes.” Jimin blushes.

“I didn’t know you liked girls.” Minjeong says.

“You never asked.” Jimin shrugs.

“But that’s ‘cause we used to only talk about boys.” Minjeong frowns.

“Well that’s in the past now.” Jimin pushes it aside. “What is present now is that I’m in love with you and please say you are still too?”

 

Minjeong takes a deep breath and slowly, she begins to smile widely.

 

“Of course I am.” Minjeong answers softly. “It’d have to take a lobotomy to make me unlove you.”

“Oh god - but same.” Jimin giggles.

 

A tiny leaf flies down from the tree above them without the wind and gently lands atop of Minjeong’s werewolf ears headband.

 

“I really want to kiss you right now.” Jimin confesses and Minjeong grows bright red.

“Y-you can’t.” Minjeong whispers.

“Oh - why?” Jimin blinks.

“Ning and Aeri are here.” Minjeong whispers as she glances to her left.

“What?” Jimin tries to look back.

“They’re watching us right now.” Minjong says quietly. “Don’t look!”

“Okay, okay. I won’t.” Jimin freezes. 

“What now?” Minjeong asks and Jimin begins to smile slowly.

“You know what’d be funny?” Jimin stifles her laugh.

“What?” Minjeong leans in curiously.

“If we make them think we totally despise each other now - like we should have a fake-fight right now.” Jimin grins and Minjeong wants to smile and laugh too, but she’s in view of Ningning of Aeri so she bites down on her lip.

“Sounds amazing - oh my gosh.” Minjeong tries to speak calmly.

 

“Okay, shove me.” Jimin raises her eyebrows.

“But I don’t want to hurt you.” Minjeong almost pouts.

“Baby, just do it. They’ve meddled with us for so long - I want to meddle back.” Jimin says.

“I know, I know but - wait… did you just call me ‘baby’?” Minjeong blinks.

“Oh, uh..” Jimin’s cheeks flush bright red. “Maybe?... yes.”

“Okay.” Minjeong blinks and her cheeks grow rosy with red. “I’m going to push you know.”

“You can’t say it and then do it, it’ll feel too planned and - Hey!” Minjeong doesn’t let Jimin finish as she presses a hard shove to Jimin’s shoulder.

“Oh you were waiting to do that for a long time, weren’t you?” Jimin smirks with a scoff and Minjeong shrugs innocently.

“Maybe.” Minjeong smiles.

 

Ningning pushes down Aeri’s shoulder’s to get a better view.

 

“Oh my god - they’re fighting!” Ningning gasps.

“They’ve never done this before!” Aeri’s eyes widen.

 

“Oh you’re so full of yourself!” Minjeong shouts at Jimin who tries to hide her smile.

“Well - you’re not any better!” Jimin fires back— shoving Minjeong too.

 

Ningning slaps Aeri’s shoulder harshly.

 

“We have to stop them.” Ningning whispers urgently.

“You’re right about that one.” Aeri says as they begin to walk out from the bushes.

“Hey! Catfight’s over!” Ningning rushes towards them.

 

Minjeong lunges at Jimin and it genuinely catches Jimin off-guard as she almost bursts into laughter.

 

“Hey - hey!” Aeri grabs Minjeong back and holds her by the waist.

“What the hell is happening?!” Ningning gasps as she does the same to Jimin.

“I don’t ever want to see her face ever again - take me away.” Jimin huffs as she runs her hands through her hair.

“I hate you!” Minjeong spits.

 

Ningning and Aeri make eye contact and their eyes widen comically— meaning, they don’t really know how to deal with this.


“Okay, we’re going.” Ningning shakes her head lightly before dragging Jimin away.

 

Aeri turns to Minjeong.

 

“Dude…” Aeri blinks. “What the hell just happened?”



 



 

Neither party addresses what transpired that night. They all go back to their studies as usual, however they stop hanging out as a four or relatively together at all. Ningning and Aeri opt to spend more time together as they try to digest and dissect Jimin and Minjeong’s relationship.

 

“What the hell happened that night?” Aeri asks for the nth time. 

“I’m still so confused.” Ningning shakes her head as she slumps into the library chair. “I swear they were fine and talking like normal.”
“That’s what I mean.” Aeri sighs. “What could have happened for them to want to almost punch-on with each other, gosh.”

“Beats me. Jimin won’t say anything to me and she keeps going out.” Ningning pouts. “I think she’s seeing someone.”

“What - seriously?” Aeri gasps.

“I know. I thought she was really genuine with her feelings for Minjeong, but now she comes home all tipsy and I keep giving her the stink eye, so we’re not really talking either.” Ningning says.

“Oh my gosh, Minjeong and I rarely interact either.” Aeri sighs. “She’s always typing away at her laptop or she’s out doing god knows what.”

“I feel kinda bummed.” Ningning says.

“Me too.” Aeri slumps down in her chair beside Ningning. 


 

Unbeknownst to them, Jimin and Minjeong were on a facetime call together as they were both in their respective dorms.

 

“I can hear you typing away very fast.” Jimin chuckles.

“Yep. Writer’s block is officially unblocked.” Minjeong quips.

“I wonder if I had anything to do with it.” Jimin hums.

“Oh you definitely did. I never explicitly said it, but my writing always is in tune with my emotions so if I’m stuck, I won't write.” Minjeong nods. “But since I am unstuck and have a wonderful girlfriend, my writing is so much better.” 

“I guess you owe me.” Jimin sing-songs. “And doing so, if you’re finished any time soon, will you come down to bar with me?”
“What’s today?” Minjeong asks.

“Joohyun and her friends are celebrating some achievement she got at her law firm but I may have let slip that we got together and now she wants to party with us as well.” Jimin chuckles.

“Well, if it’s Joohyun-unnie, I can’t really say no.” Minjeong smiles. 

“You can if you want, though. I won’t force you to go somewhere too busy.” Jimin says kindly.

“It’s okay, I’ll go.” Minjeong shrugs happily. “Plus, I’m done right now.”

“Really?” Jimin grins.

“Yup!”” Minjeong says as she closes her laptop shut.

“Okay, get ready then! I’ll meet you in front of the school soon, and then we’ll meet Joohyun-unnie, Seulgi-unnie, Sooyoung-unnie, Seungwan-unnie and Yerim-unnie at the bar.” Jimin says.

“Oh so the whole gang of unnies are coming.” Minjeong laughs. “I’ll see you soon!”

 

Just in time, Minjeong ends the call and Aeri returns back to the dorm. Minjeong gets dressed first and then she sits down in front of her vanity as she applies some makeup.

 

“Where ya headed?” Aeri leans on the doorframe.

“Just seeing family.” Minjeong lies partially. “My cousin Yerim-unnie wants to see me for a bit. Catch up and all since it’s been a while.”

“That’s nice.” Aeri nods.

“Well, be safe and don’t do anything I wouldn’t do.” Aeri tells her like a mother.

“Yes, mom.” Minjeong laughs and Aeri smiles softly.

“I’m glad you’re up and moving again.” Aeri says gently. “It’s nice to see you like this after - y’know.” 

“Thanks, Aeri.” Minjeong smiles softly.

“I’m glad you’re moving on.” Aeri says and Minjeong’s eyes widen comically.

“Oh, y-yeah.” She chuckles nervously.

 

Minjeong leaves the dorm and easily finds Jimin waiting for her.

 

“Hey - you won’t believe what Aeri just said to me!” And so Minjeong tells Jimin about how Aeri gave her the peace talk and they share a laugh together.

“It feels so devious that we’re the only two that knows we’re together.” Jimin giggles.

“Well, now our unnies know.” Minjeong points out.

“True.” Jimin laughs.

 

They walk hand in hand down to the town and meet their unnies who are lining up in the queue to the Bar. 

 

“Hey!” Sooyoung waves at them vigorously.

“Hi!” They run up to them and hug them tightly.

“So happy you both could make it!” Joohyun gushes.

“It’s been way too long!” Seulgi grins happily.

“Oh my, Seungwan-unnie - you cut your hair even shorter!” Minjeong compliments her unnie. “You look amazing!”

“Thanks, Minjeongie.” Seungwan smiles.

“Come on, let me hug my babies too!” Yerim pushes through and throws herself on Jimin and Minjeong but mostly on the latter.

“It’s nice to see you too, Yerim-unnie.” They chuckle.

 

The queue moves quickly and then they’re inside, sitting at a table.

 

“I can’t believe you two are girlfriends!” Joohyun exclaims.

“For real.” Sooyoung shakes her head in disbelief.

“Well… it happened.” Minjeong blushes.

“Oh - look at you two blushing!” Seungwan teases them. “It’s like when we found out when Joohyun-unnie and Seulgi were dating.”

 

Seulgi stands up with shot glass in hand and clears .

 

“A toast to Joohyun winning her case, and to Jimin and Minjeong’s relationship!” Seulgi grins.

“Cheers!” 

 

They all drink and party until the night remains young. They’re all dancing around each other when Jimin pulls Minjeong aside.


“I need to pee.” Jimin says into Minjeong’s ear and the latter nods.

“Okay, I’ll come.” Minjeong stands up from sitting at their table and intertwines her hand with Jimin.

 

They navigate the bathroom and make it there without any obstacles. They enter together and Minjeong waits outside for Jimin. Jimin exits and washes her hands as Minjeong waits— leaning on the wall beside the hand dryer.

 

Jimin glances sideways and finds Minjeong’s unreadable expression on her for quite a while.

 

“You’re staring.” Jimin smiles softly.

“So what if I am?” Minjeong smirks.

“It’s making me shy.” Jimin does feel a heat rise in her cheeks.

“Still shy?” Minjeong laughs as she pushes herself off the wall. 

 

She stands behind Jimin and wraps her arms around Jimin’s waist at the sink.

 

“You get so much bolder when you’re tipsy.” Jimin tries to move away when Minjeong nuzzles her nose into her neck. “H-hey, it tickles!”

“You smell nice.” Minjeong sighs into her neck and Jimin shudders at the warmth. “And you’re beautiful.” 

 

Jimin looks at the mirror and meets eye to eye with Minjeong’s hazy ones.

 

“Have I told you how good you look tonight?” Minjeong rasps at the shell of her ear.

“No.” Jimin whispers.

“Well, you do.” Minjeong grins, kissing the back of Jimin’s neck.

“Yah…” Jimin warns quietly and Minjeong laughs.

“We should go, our unnies might come looking for us if we stay any longer.” Minjeong tugs Jimin towards the exit, but Jimin tugs her back.

“What..” Minjeong turns around and finds herself being cornered into the door.

“Jimin, what are you…?” Minjeong blinks.

“You can’t just touch me and kiss me and not expect me to do something in return right?” Jimin grins as she locks the door with her free hand behind Minjeong.

“Maybe it was my plan all along.” Minjeong shrugs and Jimin giggles before leaning down with her hands on Minjeong’s shoulder to kiss her.

 

Minjeong responds immediately and moves to entangle herself with Jimin— hands around her neck as they kiss. Jimin’s hands lower them to Minjeong’s hips as it becomes more heated and their tongues meet with fervour.

 

Minjeong suddenly turns them around to reverse their positions and then Jimin’s against the wall and Minjeong’s tilting Jimin’s chin upwards as she trails hot, wet kisses under Jimin’s chin, her neck and collarbone.

 

Jimin lets a sound of pleasure slip past and she bites down on her bottom lip hard to keep quiet.

 

“Min- Minjeong…” Jimin grabs Minjeong’s shoulders and tries to stop her. Something snaps in Minjeong’s mind and she backs away immediately— heavily panting.

“I’m sorry - I-I got carried away.” Minjeong blinks as she swallows thickly.

Jimin blushes as she places her own cold hands to her cheeks and feels warmth.

“I-It’s okay.” Jimin stutters embarrassingly.

“No - I-” Minjeong looks away, slightly horrified at her actions.

“Hey it’s alright, Minjeong.” Jimin cups Minjeong’s cheek and makes her look at her. “We’re okay.” 

“We’re okay?” Minjeong leans into Jimin’s hand.

“Definitely.” Jimin laughs softly. “Let’s go now?”

“Yeah - alright.” Minjeong chuckles as her ears grow red with embarrassment.

 

The two return hand in hand and see their five unnies looking at them with unreadable expressions, but neither say anything— except for Yerim and Sooyoung, who never has a filter on their words.

 

“Had fun in there?” Yerim asks Minjeong as she sits down and Minjeong elbows her.

“Shush.” Minjeong blushes.

“Minjeongie, I didn’t know you were a biter.” Sooyoung comments lewdly and Minjeong’s eyes widen.

“What?” Minjeong malfunctions.

 

On Jimin’s neck, it is faint however, there are red marks scattered across Jimin’s underside of her chin. Her neck and her collar bones.

 

“Yah…” Joohyun begins coldly and Minjeong feels a chill creep up her spine.

“Y-yes, Joohyun-unnie?” Minjeong stutters.

“Tell me you didn’t defile my baby sister in the bathroom?” Joohyun looks over at her with sharp eyes and Minjeong shrinks in her seat.

“N-no! I would never!” Minjeong splutters and the rest of the table giggle in amusement.

“Unnie, we just got a bit carried away but nothing happened.” Jimin latches onto Joohyun’s arm.

“Nothing better have happened.” Joohyun tuts at them.

“You’re treading dangerous waters little Kim.” Seungwan snorts.

“I think I got a bit of deja vu.” Seulgi shudders as she remembers meeting Joohyun’s family in the early stages of their dating.

 

The table returns into light chatter and laughter soon after that incident and Jimin and Minjeong make it home safely.

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow?” Jimin asks as she swings their joined hands slightly in front of Minjeong’s dorm block.

“I will.” Minjeong smiles softly.

“Good.” Jimin grins. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” Minjeong kisses Jimin chastely.

“Get home safely - text me.” Minjeong says softly beside Jimin’s ear.

“I will, Minjeongie.” Jimin chuckles before letting go of Minjeong’s hand.

 

Minjeong closes the door quietly and slips off her shoes as quietly as she can not to wake her roommate, but her attempts are futile when the lights suddenly switch on.

 

“Kim Minjeong.” Minjeong turns around slowly and finds Aeri in her oversized pjs with her arms crossed over her chest, squinting and in all her messy bed hair glory.

“Yes?” Minjeong smiles sheepishly.

“I get that you getting out is good, but maybe don’t get home so late?” Aeri raises her brow unimpressed.

“Sorry, Aeri.” Minjeong apologies quietly as she bows deeply.

“Alright, alright.” Aeri clicks her tongue. “Hurry and go to bed.”

“Okay.” Minjeong nods.

 

Aeri retreats back to her room and Minjeong lets out a sigh.

 

Similar to the other dorm, Jimin was trying to get into her dorm but she is much clumsier than Minjeong and caused a ruckus as she tripped over their umbrella rack.

 

“.” Jimin curses as she realises that must have woken Ningning. She freezes for a moment, but Ningning doesn't seem to be waking so she goes on with her business.


 

The next morning, Jimin sits at their kitchen counter comfortably in a loose t-shirt and sweats as she slurps on her cereal loudly. From the other side of the room on the couch, Ningning zeros in on the marks on Jimin’s neck and she unconsciously scowls.

 

“Ning?” Jimin calls out once she notices Ningning’s sharp gaze on her. “Is everything okay?”

“No.” Ningning almost snarls as she leaves the couch and slams the door of her room.

 

Jimin blinks and frowns, lips parted in complete confusion.



 

“So she just slammed the door just like that?” Minjeong asks as they walk side by side, looking for places to get lunch since they both had early classes.

“Yeah.” Jimin sighs, exasperatedly.

“What did you do to make her so angry?” Minjeong asks as she leads Jimin to a smoothie stand.

“I don’t even know but I feel bad.” Jimin pouts.

“Did you forget anything?” Minjeong asks and Jimin tries to rack her mind for any instance where she forgot something that regarded Ningning.

“I don’t think so.” Jimin answers.


After Jimin remains in a deep contemplation, Minjeong had managed to order them food and drinks, and finds a spot to sit down too as they settle at an indoor picnic bench.

 

“Think later, eat.” Minjeong pushes a fry into Jimin’s mouth and Jimin chews on it automatically.

“Sorry.” Jimin ducks her head sheepishly.

 

Minjeong shakes her head fondly.


 

They finish up quickly and return to their dorms. On the way, they both picked up guo bao rou take out for their roommates to make up for the lost time, and Jimin just wanted to get back on Ningning’s good side.

 

“Ningning-ah?” Jimin calls out when she enters her dorm. 

“Yeah?” The younger girl answers.

Jimin kicks off her shoes and finds Ningning at the dinner table surrounded by papers and her laptop.

“What are you doing?” Jimin asks.

“Just a quick sketch for design class.” Ningning answers.

“Uh, I bought guo bao rou if you want it.” Jimin offers the peace offering.

“Seriously!” Ningning lights up. “Thank you, unnie!” 

 

Ningning springs up and hugs Jimin tightly and she’s almost winded by it.

 

“Thank god you’re not mad at me anymore.” Jimin sighs in relief with a smile.

“When was I mad?” Ningning frowns as she unwraps her pair of chopsticks.

“You scowled at me this morning and slammed the door on me.” Jimin recounts.

“Oh.” Ningning grins sheepishly. “That.”

“It wasn’t that I was mad at you, it’s just…” Ningning hums.

“Go on.” Jimin waits expectantly for the explanation.

“Just, I remember you being very sincere with how you felt about Minjeong, but now you go out often and come home with marks all over you.” Ningning explains. “I guess I was sympathising with Minjeong too much. Sorry.”

“Oh.” Jimin blinks, and then she’s smiling. Oh.

 

“I’ve always been sincere with my feelings about Minjeong.” Jimin puts on her poker face and channels her inner actress. “But it's unfortunate that we fought and she said some really, really hurtful things to me.”

“Really?” Ningning looks at her worriedly.

“It really upset me.” Jimin pouts.

“Oh no.” Ningning frowns. “Did she apologise?”
“Not yet, no.” Jimin sighs wistfully.

“Do you want to make up with her?” Ningning asks.

“Of course!” Jimin says.

“Then leave it up to me.” Ningning says, suddenly determined. “I’ll fix this with Aeri.”

“Okay, Ning.” Jimin smiles warmly.



 

“Yo, Aeri!” Minjeong calls out as she enters her dorm.

“Wassup.” Aeri answers, coming out of the bathroom.

“I got food for you.” Minjeong raises the plastic bag and shows Aeri.
“Ou~ thank you!” Aeri leaves a wet kiss on Minjeong’s cheek and Minjeong wipes it off quickly.

“Ew!” She shrieks. “I’m going to shower now.”

“Have fun! I left the shower extra warm for you.” Aeri winks.

“You !” Minjeong laughs as she enters her room.

 

Aeri settles down at the dinner table and sends a selfie of her and the food to Ningning.

 

> I got guo bao rou, what a serve

< Omg same!

 

Ningning sends an identical selfie back.

 

> We have the best roomies

< FR !! 



 



 

“We have to get them in one place.” Ningning says as she sits down across Aeri at the café they agreed to meet at.

“Oh wow, no Hello? How are you?” Aeri humours.

“No time for that - we need to make them make up with each other because Jimin is very hurt and sad.” Ningning huffs.

“Really?” Aeri asks, leaning in.

“Yeah. She said Minjeong said some really hurtful and mean things to her when they fought.” Ninging informs Aeri.

“Seriously? That’s so unlike our Minjeong.” Aeri frowns.

“I find it weird too, but obviously the argument was probably really heated for a mean Minjeong to happen.” Ningning sighs.

“True.” Aeri nods thoughtfully. “I have an idea!”

“I'm listening.” Ningning leans forward.

“We should invite them both to dinner.” Aeri says.

“That simple? But what if they don’t come since they know the other is coming?” Ningning questions.

“Easy. We don't let them know the other is coming.” Aeri shrugs with a smug expression.

“Oh, you’re a genius!” Ningning grins.


 

Without the other two's knowledge again, Jimin and Minjeong were together on a date.

 

“Minjeong, oh my god - look at the sharks!” Jimin squeals as she drags Minjeong by their joined hands along the aquarium. 

“It’s been years and I’ll still never understand your love for sharks.” Minjeong chuckles lightly.

“You don’t get it!” Jimin whines cutely. “They’re so cute!”

“The fact that you find me cute and the sharks too concern me.” Minjeong shudders and she gets elbowed. “Ow-”

“But look at their little smiles and tiny round eyes!” Jimin pouts at the glass.

“That’s what you say about me.” Minjeong shivers.

“That’s not - actually yeah, that’s kind of true.” Jimin giggles.

“Terrifying.” Minjeong shakes her head.

 

Nonetheless, they leave the aquarium together happily with a shark keychain on Minjeong’s bag and a puppy sized shark plush for Jimin.

 

“Hungry yet?” Minjeong asks as Jimin swings their hands back and forth.

“Aren’t Aeri and Ning trying to plan that forceful dinner for tonight?” Jimin counters.

“No, Aeri said it’s been postponed.” Minjeong chuckles at the ridiculousness of it.

“Really? What happened?” Jimin asks.

“Apparently Aeri’s dad foolishly broke his leg so now she’s staying with her parents for the night.” Minjeong tells her and Jimin nods.

 

( “We gotta raincheck for the dinner.” Aeri says as she calls Ningning.
“What, why?” Ningning asks.

“I’m in the hospital.” Aeri answers.

“WHAT?” Ningning shrieks and Aeri pulls away the phone from her ear after suffering major eardrum damage.

“Not me - I mean I am in the hospital but it’s for my dad.” Aeri rushes to explain.

“Oh no, what happened?” Ningning asks, very concerned.

“You will never guess - he freaking fell off a bike and broke his leg!” Aeri huffs and Ningning stifles a laugh.

“Oh my.” Ningning holds in her laugh.

“You can laugh, Ning.” Aerie shakes her head in disbelief. “Mom even told him that he’s too old and will need training wheels and look where he ended up.”

“I’m sorry, but this is actually hilarious.” Ningning bursts and Aeri smiles at her friend’s laughter.

“I know.” Aeri chuckles.

 

“Are you staying with them?” Ningning asks.

“Yeah, just for tonight.” Aeri answers.

“Okay, tell papa Uchinaga I wish him well!” Ningning chirps.

“I will, bye.” Aeri chuckles. )

 

“That’s sweet of her.” Jimin says.

 

“So what do you want to do now?” Minjeong asks.

“Maybe we should have a night in at your place since Aeri’s not coming back.” Jimin suggests cheekily.

“Of course you would suggest that.” Minjeong teases.

“What!” Jimin whines with a pout.

“I’m kidding - it sounds great!” Minjeong dodges Jimin’s raised fist.

“Good.” Jimin tuts before holding Minjeong’s arm closely.

 

They order some pizza and share it on the floor of Mineong’s living room floor before washing up. Jimin washes up first after Minjeong had insisted she go first, so now it’s Minjeong’s turn and Jimin sits on Minjeong’s bed with the shark plush, ‘Mindoong’, in her arms as she waits.

 

Minjeong soon exits the bathroom with her fluffy pjs on and finds Jimin waiting for her cutely.

 

“Did I take too long?” Minjeong chuckles as she pulls back her blanket and comforter. Jimin settles in on the left side with Mindoong still in her arms.

“No, not at all.” Jimin beams.

 

They get comfortable and Jimin wiggles in bed and Minjeong watches her amusedly.

 

“I sleep with no pants on, so no funny business.” Jimin says just as she kicks off her pants onto the floor.

“I should be saying that to you.” Minjeong laughs and Jimin pokes her before snuggling up to Minjeong.

 

Jimin places Mindoong at the top of the headboard and turns around as Minjeong wraps her arm around Jimin’s waist, spooning her closely. 

 

“We haven’t had a sleepover in so long.” Jimin says softly.

“I know.” Minjeong hums against Jimin’s neck.

“Thank you.” Jimin says after a beat.

“What for?” Minjeong asks tenderly.

“Just for… loving me, I don’t know.” Jimin chuckles quietly.

“You don’t have to thank me.” Minjeong giggles. “I guess it was almost inevitable that I’d fall in love with you. You’re so you, Jimin.” 

 

Jimin turns around, rustling the bed sheets. She faces Minjeong and leans in to kiss Minjeong soundly.

 

“What was that for?” Minjeong blinks, delighted.

“I love you.” Jimin smiles.

Minjeong grins, leaning in too, kissing her longer. “I love you too.”



 



 

Aeri doesn’t come home until the afternoon, so Jimin manages to leave Minjeong’s apartment without a trace and they go to attend their classes like normal.

 

Aeri walks beside Minjeong as they head to their next class.

 

“Hey, just to remind you, the dinner’s on after class.” Aeri tells her as they sit down.

“Okay.” Minjeong answers— seemingly distracted.

 

Three rows down, Ningning says the same thing to Jimin.

 

“The dinner’s on after class, so be ready.” Ningning tells Jimin whose eyes are looking elsewhere.

“Yeah, okay.” She answers absentmindedly.

 

Minjeong and Jimin share a look, smiling softly to each other.





 

Later, the four of them find themselves at a table in an Italian restaurant. Ningning had pushed Jimin and Minjeong into one side of the booth and the two pretended to detest each other— leaving space between them even if in reality, they wanted to be closer than anything.

 

Aeri and Ninging situated themselves in front of them. They ordered quickly and Minjeong and Jimin tried to avoid eye contact, however they were having contact under the table as they were holding hands.

 

“So… Aeri and I brought the both of you here together because we want you guys to make up with each other.” Ningning says, placing both hands on the table. Minjeong and Jimin share a subtle glance.

“So Minjeong, please apologise to Jimin.” Ningning says.

“Why do I have apologise?” Minjeong furrows her brows.

“Because you said some hurtful things to Jimin that night.” Ningning says and Jimin hides her smile behind her hand as she covers her face in mock pain.

“Wait, that doesn’t mean Jimin didn’t say hurtful things to Minjeong either.” Aeri jumps in. 

“Yeah - exactly.” Minjeong huffs, feeling wrongly accused.

“You hurt me so much, Minjeong.” Jimin whimpers pathetically. “You were really mean.” 

“See.” Ningning says sternly.

 

Jimin pretends to act hurt and Minjeong rolls her eyes.

 

“Stop being such a bad actor.” Minjeong huffs and Jimin grins.

“Wait - what’s going on.” Aeri blinks.

“What do you mean?” Jimin shrugs innocently as she moves over to Minjeong and drapes her arm over Minjeong’s shoulders— bringing her closer as they both watch as Aeri and Ningning’s jaws drop slowly.

“You mean you guys don’t hate each other?” Aeri asks dumbfoundedly.

“Of course not.” Jimin smirks.

“But you guys fought!” Ningning almost shrieks.

Minjeong bursts into laughter. “We never fought! It was just a ruse because we wanted to trick you two, and it obviously worked.” 

“Oh my god, I feel like my whole life has been a lie.” Aeri huffs.

“We didn’t think you guys would be so gullible.” Jimin laughs in the crook of Minjeong’s neck.

“So… you’re together?” Ningning asks.

“Like for real, for real?” Aeri asks.

“As real as it can be.” Jimin says, looking lovingly at Minjeong.

 

Ninging slams her hands onto the table.

 

“Wait.” Ningning blinks.

 

Aeri does the same.

 

“Hold on.” Aeri blinks. “You both left to go to Bar at the same time on the same day and returned at the same time too and we didn’t even question it?” Aeri gasps.

“And last week you both got home at the same time and gave me and Aeri guo bao rou take away and we didn’t say anything then?” Ningning gasps.

“And the shark keychain on Minjeong’s bag - oh my god!” Aeri guffaws. “Jimin loves sharks and she loves Minjeong - I can’t believe we were so blind, Ning Yizhou!”

“I feel stupid.” Ningning almost cries.

“We didn’t think we’d be able to hide it that well but turns out you two are clueless.” Minjeong cackles.

 

Ningning abruptly stands up and points an accusing finger at Minjeong who is caught off guard.

 

“You!” Ningning’s eyes widen greatly.

“Me?” Minjeong points to herself in confusion.

“You left those marks on Jimin's neck!” Ningning says and Aeri gasps.

 

Minjeong immediately flushes and Jimin hides her face behind her hand.

 

“Hold on - Minjeong left what now?!” Aeri exclaims.


 

Minjeong shakes her head with a light laugh before turning to her side lazily as she meets Jimin’s eyes, who has raised her head. Jimin stares right through her like glass and Minjeong understands what it’s like to love without pain.