chapter two

Ocalis: Return of the Phoenix
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

chapter two

 

Seoul — 2 years in times past

 

The taxi ride home was too quiet for Chanyeol’s liking, but he couldn’t bring himself to break the silence as he laid eyes on Baekhyun. Not when it was warranted; not when Baekhyun was grieving the loss of the only home he’d ever known. He’d thanked the gods that Baekhyun was able to get some rest on the plane at least. As soon as they’d boarded the small aircraft from Borderidge, Baekhyun had settled into the window seat that Chanyeol offered him, shut the blind of the window, and promptly rested his head against the plane’s wall before passing out. Chanyeol had planted himself next to his beau, thankful that they didn’t have to share the row with anyone else. He’d only had to glare once at the passenger sitting directly behind Baekhyun for the man to stop moving his damn legs, causing Baekhyun’s chair to subsequently vibrate. He hadn’t been able to defend him in Ocalis, but he’d be damned if he wasn’t at least able to protect any amount of sleep Baekhyun was finally able to get on the flight back to the city. The past few days had been draining for the both of them; and thinking back to the events only fueled Chanyeol’s umbrage.

 

The Elders of the Order of the White Circle were steadfast; persistent, even, in their condemnation. They’d barely let Baekhyun gather his strength before both he and Chanyeol were forced to stand in front of the group, expected to appeal a verdict that everyone knew had already been decided. In the end, there was nothing either one of them could say to pacify the Elders; not even with the collaboration of Baekbeom and Taekwoon—two of the Order’s most distinguished members. Chanyeol was forced to watch as Baekhyun bid farewell to his friends and his one remaining family member, eyes shining with unshed tears, in the days following.

 

He hated it.

 

Chanyeol hated the way the Elders feigned confliction as they watched the two Byun brothers embrace; as Baekhyun forced a smile onto his face in an attempt to placate his older brother. He hated the way everyone avoided his eyes when he scanned the room. But what really irritated Chanyeol the most was watching Baekhyun holding back his emotions; suppressing everything as to not heighten Chanyeol’s guilt.

 

He hated that everything that had transpired seemed to be his fault.

 

When the cab driver stopped in front of the run-down building, Chanyeol paid the man and stepped out, offering his hand to Baekhyun to aid the wearied man from the car. Baekhyun gave the building in front of them a once-over; and Chanyeol could’ve sworn he saw a grimace on the man’s face before it was schooled into a strained smile.

 

“So, this is it?” Baekhyun asked, squeezing Chanyeol’s hand in his own. “Our new home?”

 

Chanyeol nodded. “It’s not much…but it was all I can afford right now. My old apartment had too much damage for us to go back there, and everything else was too expensive.” Chanyeol started absently rubbing the back of his neck—an unconscious habit he’d picked up when he was younger whenever he felt embarrassed that had followed him into adulthood. “It comes furnished, and there’s an empty shop right under us,” he offered, turning towards Baekhyun. “The landlord takes a little extra every month, but we’re free to use it as we wish. I was thinking that maybe we could try opening a cafe?”

 

Baekhyun’s smiled, a bit more genuine this time. “That sounds perfect, Chanyeol.”

 

“I’m really sorry, Baek,” Chanyeol frowned. “I know this is probably nothing you’ve ever imagined. I know it doesn’t compare to your home in Ocalis, or even Elysium, but—”

 

Baekhyun shock his head and brought a finger to Chanyeol’s lips to shush him. “All I’ve ever wanted was to be with you. It never mattered where.” He took Chanyeol’s hands into his own two. “This is more than I’ve ever imagined. Having you back beside me is more than I could ever ask for.”

 

Chanyeol gathered Baekhyun into his arms. “Thank you, Baekhyun.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Adjusting to life in Seoul proved to be daunting for Baekhyun. Although the man had lived over a decade, modern-day metropolitan life was still a wonder to him. Their first challenge came one afternoon when Chanyeol recommended Baekhyun change out of the outfit that he’d worn since they’d arrived in the city two days—but who was counting—into something from his closet.

 

“It’s so…” the platinum-haired male started, holding Chanyeol’s purple hoodie—the one with “ual Fantasies” printed in red—out in front of him with a disparaged expression on his face as the two stood in the middle of their living room in the one-bedroom apartment. He shuddered and shook his head instead of finishing his thought, tossing the top onto the couch. “What’s wrong with my attire?”

 

Chanyeol sighed and walked over to the petite man, still clad in his lace-up viridian tunic tucked into leather pants and knee-high boots. “No one here wears that here, Baek. Well, regular civilians like us don’t, at least.” He placed his hands on Baekhyun’s shoulders. “Let’s try to find something else? Not all of my clothes have things written on them,” Chanyeol laughed. “At least until we can get you some clothes on your own, okay?”

 

Dejectedly, Baekhyun nodded, head turned downwards like a toddler that had just received a scolding.

 

“Hey,” Chanyeol said, cupping Baekhyun’s face in his hands and bending his knees to be at eye-level with his lover, “I know this is all hard for you to get used to. Thank you for sticking by me.”

 

Baekhyun offered a small shake of his head and a smile. “Always.”

 

A few days later, Chanyeol and Baekhyun found themselves standing in front of the headstone of Chanyeol’s grandfather with a basket packed with sandwiches and snacks. The sun had begun to set behind the silhouette of the mulberry trees. It was towards the end of a grueling work day for Chanyeol—he’d been around the entire city searching for the topic of his next article—but who was he to deny Baekhyun anything when he’d presented him with his puppy-dog eyes and endearing pout. Chanyeol busied himself lying down the blanket he’d also packed as he watched Baekhyun kneel in front of the plaque, fingers brushing dust and pollen off of the engraving, the bouquet of white lilies he’d brought beside him.

 

 

Lee Kwang.

Husband, father, grandfather, friend.

Protector and Honorary member.

 

 

“It finally makes sense now,” Chanyeol thought aloud. Baekhyun turned towards him, curious. “That last line… I don’t know why it didn’t click before.” The red-head chuckled.

 

“It’s a well-deserved title.”

 

Chanyeol nodded, coming up to kneel beside Baekhyun. “Did he always know?”

 

“Not always,” Baekhyun replied, “Jongin and I met Kwang when you were merely a cherub.” Baekhyun chortled, a smile blooming on his face as if recalling a fond memory as he looked upon Grampy’s final resting place. “If I didn’t know that you weren’t born from Kwang’s blood, I would’ve thought you’d inherited your grandfather’s tenacity.” Baekhyun moved the lilies, adjusting them so that they stood erect against the headstone. He then scooted back onto the blanket Chanyeol had laid out and motioned for Chanyeol to do the same.

 

Chanyeol positioned himself behind Baekhyun, resting his back against the trunk of the cedar tree. He felt Baekhyun’s head lean back to rest on his shoulder, and moved his arms to gather Baekhyun closer to him.

 

“Tell me more about your first meeting,” Chanyeol whispered into Baekhyun’s ear, eyes looking fondly ahead at engraving.

 

Baekhyun hummed contently. “I felt something that night. An urge. A pull towards something in this realm. My Familiar had become restless as she also felt the recognizable pull towards, what I now believe to be, your power. I had alerted the Order immediately, but alas, they didn’t believe me. No one did but my brother, and Jongin.

 

If I’m being honest, I’m not sure if Jongin really believed me or if he just took pity on me; watching my desperation for years as I tried to seek you. He’d offered to go with me. He teleported us to the closest location where I felt the energy—the connection—the strongest. We ended up somewhere outside of a city, where we wandered up and down the dimly lit street until she felt it,” Baekhyun’s hand absently went to grab his necklace, “until she felt you.”

 

As if picking up on the Elemental’s emotions, the fog i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter