To Steal the Real Prize

To Steal the Real Prize

1.

Key had a long day. He wants to go home and take a nice bath, maybe indulge himself to some ice cream after his dinner. He bought some a few days ago, unopened. He expects to go home to an empty apartment and get some well needed rest.

And opens the door to an unwelcomed guest.

Taemin is sitting in the living room like it’s his own home. He’s eating ice cream with a big spoon that surely originally belongs to Key. There were Gundam action figures on the living room table set on ridiculous poses, outside of their glass cases.

In his mind he is surely screaming with rage.

Taemin looks up with a cheerful smile, “Welcome home, Key!”

His lethargic is giving him a delayed reaction to having Taemin uninvited in his home. Doesn’t know which he should be angry about. Taemin eating his unopened ice cream, making a mess, or playing with his Gundam action figures that costed him a small fortune.

“What are you doing here?!” Key screeches.

Taemin just gives an innocent smile that belies the depth of evil Key knows the boy possess. “I miss you, Key,” Taemin replies. “I even made you ramen, it should still be warm.”

Ramen doesn’t fix anything.

Key gives a tired glance, trudging into his apartment, muttering to himself about buying a new carton of ice cream and sanitizing his Gundam figures. He drops his things to the side and goes to sit next to Taemin, lifts the cover of the ramen to eat.

“How is it?” Taemin asks expectantly.

Key grimaces but continues eating. “Soggy.” It’s not even his favorite flavor.

Taemin pouts. “I didn’t know when you’ll get home and I wanted to see you.”

Key rolls his eyes. “Right, eating my ice cream and playing with my Gundam figures.”

“I’ll buy you new ice cream hyung!”

“With what money? And what about my action figures? It got your sticky fingerprints on there.”

“You mean your toys? I got bored waiting so I played with them.”

“You’re not supposed to take them out and play! Those are limited edition action figures!”

“You mean expensive toys. You never watched Toy Story before? Toys are meant to be played.”

Key is this close to throttle that smiling brat. This close! He’ll just kick him out after eating this. A bubble bath is calling his name.

2.

“I swear even though that kid looks innocent, he is pure evil. I mean how would you feel when you come home and see me eating your food and playing with your most prized possession?”

“I’d probably join you and maybe put on a movie. Isn’t that what you did when Taemin was there?”

Key groan, putting his head on the table exasperated while Onew looks sympathetic. He should’ve known venting to Onew wouldn’t help. Onew always see Taemin as an adorable little brother figure even if that brat sets something on fire. Figures he wouldn’t take his side.

“I’m not taking sides, Key. And if Taemin sets fire on something, I would’ve called the fire department or get a fire extinguisher.”

Did he just say that out loud? Maybe he’s too tired.

“If it bothers you so much why didn’t you kick Taemin out?” Onew points out. “Saves you the trouble and you don’t need to feed him.”

“It doesn’t feel right kicking him out when he took the time to come here,” Key mutters on the table. “He lives so far away. He’s too skinny – I wonder if he’s eating enough.”

Onew sagely nods, agreeing. “It’s his metabolism. He burns calories very easily.”

“He burns calories just as fast as my dwindling skincare products,” Key complains. “I know I bought some a couple weeks ago but didn’t think it’ll run out so quickly. I don’t know whether if I’m using too much because of stress from work or stress from Taemin showing up at my apartment.”

Onew looks thoughtful. “You ever thought maybe Taemin has been using your skincare products when you’re not home?”

Key looks up in horror. “No. He wouldn’t…”

Onew doesn’t deign to respond, pointedly looks away. But that’s all the conviction Key needs as he wails from the invasion of his privacy and his wallet.

3.

“Come on, Key. I know you can pull more weights than that.”

Key glares. Minho grins at him from the weight machine next to him, pulling heavier weights with ease. That frog-eyed giant just likes seeing him suffer and sweaty.

“That’s because you’re not pulling that much weight. Like seriously 20 pounds? I know you can lift much more than that.”

Wait, did he just say that out loud again?!

“I did more reps than you,” Key drops his weights loudly and sighs, leaning against the chair. “And I don’t go to the gym that often, I work out enough to stay fit.”

He should’ve known better than going to the gym with Minho. The gym has a two for one membership, allowing members to bring a guest. Since Key is trying to save money, why not take advantage by using Minho’s gym membership.

He hates it. He’s sweaty and tired, Minho making fun of him every now and then. Gym is a scam.

“You’ll need to challenge yourself to see results,” Minho comments. “You can’t just stop for a while and pick up where you left off, your muscles will deteriorate.”

“I’m not trying to body build like you, meathead,” Key gives a haughty sniff, picking up his water bottle for a drink. “I’m stronger than most of you, I can carry Taemin very easily.”

“Yeah like a decade ago,” Minho let’s go of the pull bar and turns to properly face Key. “Taemin is so skinny back then, all of us can carry him very easily. And unlike you Taemin goes to the gym consistently, actually working out.”

So besides stealing into Key’s apartment, Taemin has been working out. So that’s how Taemin burns his calories so easily.

Key huffs, getting up from the bench. “I’m leaving.”

“So soon?” Minho gets up to follow him. “You only use one machine.”

“And my body is tired and sweaty. Your point?”

“Wait Key, I need to give you something.”

Key looks curious as Minho follows him to the locker room. Going to his locker, he opens and rummages through his bag, pulling out a suspiciously familiar cardigan from his bag and hands it to him.

“Is that my cardigan?” Key looks at the fabric handed to him. “Why do you have this?”

“I met up with Taemin yesterday and he told me to give it to you,” Minho explains. “I almost forgot about it, honestly.”

Taemin stole something from his apartment again, this time it’s his favorite cardigan.

The state of his cardigan is abysmal. The fabric is wrinkled and full of creases from being stuffed in Minho’s gym bag. And knowing this came from Minho’s gym bag fills him with dread, he will have to sanitize and wash it twice. And is that a stain on the collar?!

“Did you wear this?!” Key looks close to shrieking.

“Yep.” Minho closes his locker, oblivious to Key’s turmoil. “It was really cold yesterday and I forgot to bring my jacket. It’s really warm and soft but a bit small for me. I’ll have to buy one for myself when I get the chance.”

The fabric got stretched. A small part of Key died a little.

Minho didn’t take notice of Key’s mental breakdown, smiling as he left. “I’m gonna go work out some more.”

4.

“I don’t know how he keeps doing this! One minute it’s there and now – poof – just how?!”

“Mmhmm…”

“I accidentally pack his present to his parents in my suitcase one time. One time. And I get labelled as a kleptomaniac. I heard he’s been telling people this every chance he gets but the real kleptomaniac is him!”

“Mmhmm…”

“Jonghyun, are you listening to me?!”

Key is venting about Taemin’s antics while he and Jonghyun are in line waiting to order coffee. But he should’ve known that Jonghyun wouldn’t take his side, apathetic to his grievances.

“Where did I go wrong with that kid?” Key wails. “Did he hit his head along the way?”

Jonghyun chuckles and shakes his head. “You know Taemin doesn’t do that with just anyone. I think it’s because he likes you the best.”

“So… that brat is bullying me.”

Why is everyone always taking that mischievous brat’s side?! Why is no one on his side?!

“I’m on no one’s side but it’s great to see both of you get along so well.”

Why does he keep voicing his thoughts out so loud?!

Grumbling, Key pulls out his wallet to pay and pauses when he feels his wallet is much lighter. He opens it and sees all his cash and coins are missing.

“Ok that brat has gone too far!”

“What happened?”

“That brat stole my money!”

Key shoves his empty wallet at Jonghyun to show him. At the same time he’s digging into his pocket for his phone, intending to give Taemin a piece of his mind. “No mercy, that brat is about to pay!”

“Key calm down,” Jonghyun tries to pacify. “He still left your credit cards and other stuff. Only cash is missing and look – he even left a note.”

There was a card in place where his cash is supposed to be. The card had a little cheese doodle with a cute smiley face and a peace sign. There was a little note on the bottom saying that Taemin borrowed some money and will pay it back later today. Just check his bank account.

All the initial anger Key had before melts away. He checks his bank app on his phone and the missing amount of cash was deposited to his account. Exact change.

Jonghyun pats Key’s back reassuringly, oblivious of Key’s soul temporarily left his body from the stress and anger he momentarily experienced. “I’ll pay for you this time, my treat.”

5+1.

 

“Where is it?! Damnit, where is it?!”

Key franticly searches in his bag for his keys. He knows he has it this morning when he left but now he can’t find it. Did he left his key at home? Did he left it at building? Did he lost it somewhere? What is he gonna do? The building manager won’t be back until late morning and his mom and sister’s place is far from here.

Just as he decides his next course of action, the door to his apartment opens quietly. And Taemin blinks up at Key through the gap.

For a moment no one reacted, frozen as they stared at each other. It wasn’t until Taemin slowly close the door that Key instantly reacted, grabbing the door from being shut without caring if his fingers are slammed.

“You brat!”

Taemin squeals with fear as Key charges into his apartment. Taemin doesn’t get very far as Key pounces on the brat. They wrestle around until Key is straddling on top of Taemin whose lying on the living room floor.

“Key, welcome back,” Taemin nervously giggles.

“How did you get in here?!” Key looms over Taemin grabbing him by the collar of his shirt. “And how could you just left me outside of my own home this whole time!”

“I got my own key, Key,” Taemin explains, both of his hands are out to show he’s unarmed and moving in a pacifying motion. “And I thought you were an intruder. I heard some scary noise outside so I didn’t let you in.”

Key could feel a vein popping out just from the shear absurdity of Taemin’s explanation. “Seriously?! An intruder?!”

Taemin gave a nervous laugh. “Sorry~”

“And did you steal my key as well?!”

“I didn’t steal,” Taemin rummages in his pocket and pulls out a key. “I had it decorated. You see – isn’t it cute?”

Key looks at the key in Taemin’s hand, cross-eyed for having it shoved near his face. The key to his apartment has a Hello Kitty design. It’s not his style but it does look cute, and it probably cost a bit to get it done.

Key snatches the key out of Taemin’s hand. “You do realize that I’m renting this apartment. I had to give the key back to the building management when I move out.”

Taemin snorts. “In this economy? That won’t be for a long time. Besides, I like coming here. Your place is my favorite.”

This time Key snorts. “Right, to eat my food.”

“Not just that but it has my favorite person in the whole world.”

Key is startled by such declaration, looking at Taemin like he’s crazy. But Taemin looks back at him with an unwavering gaze. He’s waiting for the other shoe to drop, with Taemin saying ‘just kidding’ but it never came.

Key pokes at Taemin’s chubby cheek. “If I’m your favorite person then why do you keep stealing my stuff?”

“I never stole your stuff,” Taemin answers, he puffs his cheek at Key’s finger that was poking him. “Stealing means intending to never return it.”

“What about my ice cream?” Key’s finger digs at the puffed cheek before him, an outlet to his Taemin shaped frustration. “Or my moisturizer? Careful Taeminnie or I might steal something of yours and never give it back.”

“Oh yeah?” Taemin goads with a smirk, puffed cheek gone. “What are you gonna steal? I ain’t got nothing for you to steal.”

Key moves his hand to Taemin’s chin, with his thumb and pointer he digs into Taemin’s cheeks at the same time, forcing Taemin to make a weird face.

And then he leans down to capture Taemin’s lips.

It was a closed mouth kiss and their reaction is delayed as both are more shocked than anything. He stayed like this for a while, connected to Taemin before he moves back and let’s go of Taemin’s face. He looks at Taemin’s face, wide-eyed and frozen.

Taemin raises a shaky hand to his quivering lips and in a small voice says; “That was my first kiss.”

…what?!

The weight of Key’s action finally caught up to him, his face heating up and it’s his turn to cover his lips, flustered. He hadn’t meant to - He hadn’t realized the severity of his action, heated at the moment because everytime he’s with Taemin he couldn’t think at all. Even if he’s not with Taemin, his thoughts would stray towards that brat.

“Really?! You think about me all the time?!”

Gawd!!!! Now Taemin can hear his inner thoughts!

“Key stole my first kiss,” Taemin gives him a look like a debauched maiden (As if! Key screams in his mind.) “And he’s not taking responsibility.”

“And I can’t give it back,” Key smirks with all the bravado he could muster. He’s inwardly sweating, they’re in uncharted territory now. “I warned you. What are you gonna do about it?”

Without hesitating Taemin surges up and captures Key’s lips, the sudden momentum had them switching position with Taemin now looming over and straddling Key. The moment surprised Key that he gasps into the kiss, inadvertently opens his mouth and tastes Taemin on his lip. They parted almost too soon leaving Key shocked and gasping.

Taemin is out of breath with a satisfied smirk on his face. “I stole it back.”

Key blinks at the retort before he chuckles, Taemin giggling on top of him. His chuckles become loud and carefree. Laughing he drops his head against soft living room rug, his whole body felt heavy like the tension stringing him left his body. Idly he cards his hand through Taemin’s soft locks. “Brat, what am I gonna do with you?”

Extra:

“Key~ I’m hungry~”

“You already ate, not my problem.”

“But Key~~~~”

“…. Oh alright, here.”

“Thank you Key!”

Key sighs as he watches Taemin munch on his french fries. He just couldn’t say no to the brat and he doesn’t know why. He’s not like this, tolerant, with anyone. But Taemin makes him want to take care of him, even if he doesn’t realize it he has this instinct to take care of him.

And Taemin doesn’t act like this with just anyone. Time and again Taemin would surprise him with the unexpected maturity. Things that only he is privy to only Taemin would show, with all the consideration far beyond someone like him can comprehend. He feels special when he’s with him, stealing these little moments between them.

Key sighs as he uses his thumb to wipe the corner of Taemin’s mouth. “You got a little something there.”

Taemin fidgets in Key’s hold, his nose cutely wrinkles at the action. “Key~”

Lost in their little world, they forgot they were sitting with three other individuals, shoving their public display of affection in front of their salads.

 “You know with the way Key complains about Taemin all the time, somehow I’m not surprised…” Onew sighs, closing the cover of his salad container. “Though I think I can do without seeing them like this all the time.”

“Should’ve seen it coming,” Minho gestures wildly at the sickeningly sweet duo. “I almost prefer Key whining about him and now we’re being subjected to this.”

“I think it’s cute,” Jonghyun had a hand under his chin with a thoughtful look. “They’re cute together like this.”

They all couldn’t help but agree, watching Taemin steals a kiss causing Key to look flustered and embarrassed. And it all started with Taemin stealing all the little things until he can finally steal Key for himself.