Scent - Yonghee's wedding

Scent
Please log in to read the full chapter

The wedding was simply beautiful.

Kim Yongsun stood at the front row, watching her beloved older sister get married to her long-time boyfriend, a decent boyfriend who was not put off by Solar’s fame. Her long brown hair was tied up in a chignon, revealing he slender neck and she had worn a decent pastel blue dress that covered her fully, only revealing her chest. She smiled faintly, watching her brother-in-law lift the veil of her sister, grinning from ear to ear.  Yonghee, the beautiful bride, was blushing furiously too.

The heart of Yongsun melted at once as she sighed wistfully. This was all she wanted for her elder sister. She was not particularly religious but she prayed with all her heart that her elder sister and her new brother-in-law would always be happy as they built a new life together and eventually having their own family.

Throughout the dreamy wedding ceremony, she could feel stares on her—a sensation that she was familiar due to her work as an idol. Yongsun had dressed modestly so that she did not eclipse the bride on her big day but there was no helping it. Automatically, she turned to the side, hoping to lean into the space of Moon Byulyi and share this moment with her but absence only greeted her.

The leader of MAMAMOO could not help frowning, feeling the void even more acutely. She sighed, knowing that there was no way Byulyi belonged to the first aisle, set aside for the family of the bride—she wasn’t considered family, no matter how much time she had spent hanging around the Kim family.

The idol forced herself out of that brooding mood when she saw the wistful stares of Apa and Umma. Even though both daughters had been living by themselves in the city, but this ceremony meant that the parents had to share their oldest daughter with her husband and the in-laws. Apa, dressed in an immaculate business suit, was more emotional since he gave the hand of Yonghee to his new son-in-law.

“Brother-in-law will take care of Unnie,” smiled Yongsun encouragingly, putting a hand on the shoulder of Umma, comforting her. The older woman was dressed in the traditional hanbok made of brightly coloured silk and a pair of white gloves. “Umma, you can look forward to grandchild to spoil in the near future.”

Umma snorted as she shook her head. “I’m not marrying your sister off just for grandkids—”

“But you want grandkids, don’t you?” Yongsun pointed out at once, her expression schooled carefully neutral as she placed a hand supportively on her shoulder.

Her father glanced at his wife and youngest daughter. “It’s a new life for Yonghee. I hope she would be fine. At least, she doesn’t have to serve her in-laws since the couple are not staying with them.”

The leader of MAMAMOO nodded absently, knowing the duties expected of a newly married woman in their traditional society. If the new couple was staying with the parents of the husband, Yonghee was expected to take charge of the household besides preparing healthy and decent meals for her new in-laws. That translated to starting the day very early just to prepare sufficient side dishes for breakfast. “Unnie cooks well so we don’t have to worry about that. And she likes keeping the apartment clean, so I don’t doubt her cleaning skills.”

Apa glanced at her, flabbergasted. “Yong, a wife needs to do more than that to maintain a household. Ask your Umma later.” He redirected the question to his wife who was still staring at the newly-wedded in front. Soon, they would have to take a family portrait. Tears welled in his eyes when the newly-married couple shared their first kiss as husband and wife. The church burst into an applause as the newly-wed walked along the aisle, waving at friends and family, as they received the blessing of the audience.

Finally, Yongsun could turn away from the front of the church to look at her glowing older sister clinging on her husband’s arm. Despite the joyous crowd between them, their gaze met and clung automatically.

No matter the crowd, no matter the place, they could always find each other, just like two halves of a whole.

Moon Byulyi was on her feet, taking photographs of the bride and groom with her mobile. Her long black hair was tied up in a careless bun. She had dressed up for the occasion by wearing a Thom Browne dinner jacket over a slightly large white T-shirt and a pair of distressed jeans, the very outfit she had worn to the opening night of Mata Hari months ago when she surprised her with 100 blood-red, Kenyan roses.

Her universe reduced until there was two, just Byulie and Yongdununnie.

And Byulyi smiled, her nose scrunched adorably as her cherry-shaped lips lifted in a lopsided grin. It was all her heart needed to flutter wildly.

Yongsun mirrored that smile, communicating that sweet yearning for that love that her Unnie found in her new brother-in-law. Byulyi’s lopsided smile became more reassuring, promising that they would have that same bliss. That smile reminded her of quiet afternoons lazing in each other’s arms as the younger woman thread her fingers through her long hair, talking about everything under the sun and annoying her occasionally. At work, Byulyi was her stalwart partner, holding each other hands proudly after completing the last stage of a very hectic week of schedule. In private, she was the first that she turned to for help, knowing that Byulyi would drop everything to be by her side. They did not need to speak, communicating all their feelings through the sharing of a glance. The void in her heart was filled with warmth, knowing that there would always be a Byulie for Yongdununnie in every universe. And somehow, she knew Byulyi felt the same way when tears welled in her eyes. She sighed. Her crybaby.

Of course, Yongsun had to fulfil her role as the sister of the bride, joining both families, united by marriage at the altar to take several mandatory photographs. She was conscious of the way Byulyi’s unwavering gaze had never left her, a gaze that could pass off as the stare of a guest wishing well for the newly-married couple.

Yongsun kept up the celebratory mood, smiling brightly for her Unnie as the ceremony came to an end. Now, it was time for the families to greet the guests and thank them. She had decided to take up the role of caring for the bride

Please log in to read the full chapter