I. Welcome to the new chapter of my life!

I'm Housemates with my Idols!

Chapter 1: Welcome to the new chapter of my life!

 

 

Diary Log 1:

 

   Hi! I’m Hailey. Starting today I decided to start my own diary. Others may say I’m too old to start one but to be honest I don’t care as today will mark the day that my life begins.

   So, I started to write this because of the great news I received. To inform you of the whole story, I just graduated from college, about 5 months ago. So… after being jobless for 5 months, I got the courage to ask my parents to allow me to study in South Korea.

   I’m scared my dad wouldn’t agree given that he’s so overprotective as I’m an only child. But hey, I’m 21 already, done with school, and I can surely take care of myself. Mom’s not a problem to tell you, she’s a huge and I mean a huge KPOP fan as well. I started liking KPOP in 2012 because of my mom, you can say she’s the biggest influence I have so I know very well that she’ll support me.

   Going back to my story, we were eating dinner, and one of my mom’s favorite KPOP groups appeared on the news due to their concert tomorrow. I gulped and started, “They’re back again mom! Super Junior is back again. Can’t believe how long they’ve been in the industry. You must be so proud.”

   “Well of course I am!” My mom squealed, focused on the news. My dad just sighed and ignore us. This is nothing new in our household. Dad does listen to some KPOP groups (mostly girl groups), but he isn’t really a fan like mom and me.

   I am on the edge of my seat, sneaking a glance every second over to my dad to check on his mood. He seems happy today – normal I should say.

   Over the last few weeks, I’ve been meaning to tell them that I’ve applied to one of Korea’s universities to study their language. At first, I just thought since I am not doing anything why not try? I did my best to pass the proficiency exam and did my best to meet all requirements. I wasn’t really expecting anything but after a week, I received an email from Yonsei University confirming my acceptance to their Fall Semester.

   You cannot imagine my joy when I opened that email. It was midnight by the way. I just happen to remember to check my email to see if I received any response and they did send me a reply after a week. Me! A normal girl far away from South Korea was given the chance to come and study there. Who am I to pass on this chance?

   So, I decide that tonight is the night that I’ll bring this topic to my parents.

   I decided to let them finish their dinner first. One of the things that I really like about our small family is that we eat together all the time as long as we’re all at home. We can talk about whatever.

   Don’t get me wrong, my dad is not strict. But he can be very protective at times. After all, I’m their only princess so I really can’t blame him.

   Once they were both done eating, I mustered all my courage and said very seriously, “Mom, dad, I have something to say.”

   My mom and dad looked at each other as if asking if the other party is aware of what was to come.

   My mom shrugged her shoulders. And I continue, “I… well, over the last couple of weeks I actually did something that’s out of my comfort zone, I applied to one of Korea’s Universities to study Korean.”

   I looked at them cautiously, hearts pounding so hard I think everyone in the room can hear it.

   My dad sighed and I gulped.

   “To be honest, I’m already expecting this. But I didn’t think it would be this soon” my dad said. To my surprise, very calm.

    My mom chuckles, “Dear, you’re like a mini-me. This was my dream too when I was your age. But because of our family’s financial status then, I couldn’t fulfill it. Who am I to stop you?”

   “Are you sure this is what you want to do right now?” Dad asked seriously.

   I nodded.

   “You don’t know anyone there and you’ll be living alone for a long time. It’s not like it’s just a drive away from me and your mom. Are you sure you want to do this?”

   I nodded more vigorously.

   Dad looked at my mom and my mom simply nodded. Then they looked at me and smiled.

   “You’re of age now, your mom and I don’t want to lock you up in a cage and dictate what you should do and what you should not. You’re old enough to know what’s wrong and what’s right, so you’re responsible enough to make decisions on your own.” Dad said while opening his arms wide, calling me for a hug.

   Not a second has passed since he spread his arms wide open, and I come running and giving him the biggest hug ever. I love my parents, they can be strict and protective at times, but they always tell me that they also want me to live my life and be happy.

   So there my little diary, here’s my first-ever entry. Welcome to the new chapter of my life!

 

****

 

 

Diary Log 30

 

   Hi, again my little diary! You’ll never believe what happened today!! Oh my gosh, I cannot contain my excitement!!

   Remember when I told you that I applied to this program where they’re looking for foreigners who are planning to study in Korea to learn their language and culture? Well, guess what happened? You don’t know? Well… okay, I’m going to tell you.

   So I just received an email from the program producer that I passed the preliminary, so they’re asking me for a callback or more like a one-on-one meeting. I’m scared and nervous, but I guess I’m more excited.

   Can you believe it? Passing Yonsei University to study there and now, getting a callback for a Korean program? I didn’t expect my life to be going this way, but I am not complaining.

   My mom screamed way louder than me when I told her about it.

   She took me out shopping today to buy pretty clothes for the meeting. The meeting will be this Friday, but I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep tonight. Adrenaline is just on the roof (maybe way over the roof).

   Wish me luck my little diary! They didn’t disclose anything regarding the details of the program but just that they’re looking for foreign students. I hope I get picked! Good night~

 

****

 

Diary Log 35

 

   Hi, my little diary! Guess who has greater news than last week? Me! I just ended the video conference call with the PD-nim and staff of this program I’m telling you about.

   I got it! I got the part! I’ll be the lucky foreigner to appear on their show. I’m going crazy right now! I didn’t expect things to be this BIG!

   To tell you what’s going to happen, they apparently want me, me, to live with a KPOP group. This is so huge and to be honest, I’m not sure what to think of it. The fans nowadays scare me, but my mom said that older KPOP groups have done varieties like this before.

   I really wanted to tell her that, that was before. Fans now are C-R-A-Z-Y.

   But I also do not want to let go of this once-in-a-lifetime chance to live with them.

   Guess who will be in the show with me? NCT 127! NCT! NCT!

   Just thinking about it… oh my god, I can’t stop smiling. I won’t be able to sleep for a week. I probably need to sleep so I can organize my thoughts but I just don’t think I can. NCT will be hosting their dorm for me for at least 6 months. I get to live with them for 6 freaking months!!!!!

   There’ll be Taeyong, Johnny, Yuta, Jaehyun, Haechan, Taeil, Doyoung, Jungwoo, and Mark. Mark! Mark, my bias. My head is overflooding with thoughts of happiness and excitement that I don’t even know what to tell you today. Let me get back to you tomorrow but for now, I want to bask in this happiness. Goodnight~~

 

****

 

Diary Log 56

 

   Hi, diary! I’m currently writing this as I’m on my way to the airport. In a few hours, I’ll be in South Korea breathing the same air and walking on the same land as my favorite KPOP groups. I am writing now as I don’t know if I’ll be able to write anything later.

   I don’t know who will pick me up at Incheon International Airport but one of the staff of the program contacted me and said they’ve arranged for someone to come and pick me up as I will be escorted to the “dorm” for the show. Apparently, we will not be using NCT 127’s real dorm.

   That’s okay though, I prefer that, it’s for NCT 127’s privacy and protection as well.

   I didn’t have enough sleep last night due to last-minute packing so I will go ahead and take a nap for now. I’ll see you again when we’re both in Korea~~~

 

 

 

   So~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ guess who cannot sleep tonight and decided to write? ME~~

   You wouldn’t believe what happened today. So, the “someone” the staff was referring to that will come to pick me up at the airport is none other than NCT themselves! I learned about it as soon as I got off the plane. I wasn’t prepared!

   I didn’t think that I would be meeting them this fast. I really wanted to make a good impression.

   If I have known that I would be meeting them, I would have worn something cuter and put on more make-up. I am simply dressed in a white long-sleeved polo and tattered jeans with my white sneakers and a coffee-colored coat. I only had light make up as well as I was thinking that once I’m settled at the dorm, I do not want to spend too much time removing my make-up before going to sleep.

   How wrong was I to think of that?

   So, as I was heading out of the airport, I noticed the dozens of cameras outside, then I stopped in my tracks. Reality hit me. I’m going to meet them. I’m going to meet my idols – just a couple of minutes from now.

   I can hear the fans outside as well, screaming and I froze even more. Can I really do this? There’s no backing out now.

   And as I stand there frozen, the staff took the chance to put the microphone on me. I honestly don’t remember much but all I can say is that I felt how heavy my feet were. My feet were glued to the ground, they would not move no matter how much I want them to move.

   The staff around me were talking, but I couldn’t understand what they were saying. Is it Korean? Is it English? I don’t know.

   Everything was blurry.

   I feel my stomach twist like I’m going to be sick even if I haven’t really eaten anything.

   I can feel my hands trembling and my knees weaken.

   I think I sort of felt someone was guiding me, assisting me with my luggage until I am outside the airport doors separating the ones waiting outside and the one’s who just landed.

   And then there they are. Amidst the chaotic crowd, amidst my blurry vision, I can see them clearly. They’re glowing and everything else is distorted.

   My mind is completely blank as I move closer to them. If I recall correctly, I will slow down and stop in my tracks because I couldn’t believe what was in front of me.

   My mind was a mess, and my emotion was in a wreck. I don’t know what I’m feeling – I’m excited, I’m anxious, I’m worried, I’m embarrassed, and more.

  I forced myself to smile as I come closer, but I can feel my lips shaking.

  Oh, how I wish I can smile genuinely as they are. I feel like I’m in heaven and angels were sent to come and welcome me.

   They were holding this banner saying, “Welcome to Korea!!!” and “Welcome our new housemate!!”. I remember Taeyeong and Doyoung approaching first, followed by the rest of the members with Haechan whispering something to Mark and the latter chuckling.

   Then I remember Jaehyun’s warm smile and Johnny’s calming aura. Then there were Yuta and Jungwoo behind the maknaes with straight faces.

   I don’t remember how I felt when I first saw them, but I remember thinking, were they judging me? Were they disappointed?

   But that all went away when Taeyeong said, “Hello, our new housemate. Welcome to Korea!”.