Encounters

Expressing Me
Please log in to read the full chapter

‘I wish that one day, I can see the world through your eyes.

Through your strength, I wish to bathe.

In your light, I wish to bask.

I envy you, so I follow your footsteps.’




Jessica was no longer afraid to enter her classroom, in fact today she roared with strength as she marched into the room and took her seat. She readied herself for the class, knowing that her future depended on the grade she would receive. She didn’t take phycology for herself any more, she took it so that she could help those whom are struggling with the same battle, hoping to make a brighter difference in the life of others. She could face her fears for them, she could be strong for herself and what she wanted.

The class went by quicker than she had thought, wisdom and knowledge flooding her mind and her eyes staying locked upon the board opposed to the teacher whom was teaching it. She admitted, she still couldn’t bring herself to look at him, but she had found strength to stay within the same room. She ignored the chatter around her, knowing they were useless when it came to the future, and because of that, she was able to survive the day, looking forward to spending time with her best friend.

‘Have you ate?’

A message binged her phone, bringing her eyes from the book currently within her hand, a soft smile lining her lips.

‘Mhm, why are you up so late?’

It was 2pm her time which meant it must have been 3am there, the same time he had called her and comforted her sobbing fatigued brain. She was thankful for that call, because he had encouraged her enough to try again, gave her some comfort and warmth on that chilly autumn night.

‘I already told you, I’m always up this late. Pay attention’

He scolded, her eyes rolling at his harsh approach, but it didn’t trick her, for she had seen the softness in his eyes and the caring tone within his voice. He may not have said things of comfort, but she came to understand that his actions spoke louder than the words he couldn’t get out.

‘Are you busy?’

Another message claimed her phone.

‘Nope’ she responded simply, knowing Beth wouldn’t be arriving for another ten minutes.

What she didn’t expect was for her phone to begin ringing, her heart picking up in pace as she stared at his profile picture that rang large across her phone. Calming her nerves, she took in a soft breath before answering the call, pressing the phone a little too harshly against her ear. Okay, she was nervous, and it wasn’t because he was calling her, but because she didn’t like speaking on the phone. It was just weird. Right?

“Hello?” She spoke out.

“Hello” he answered in English, his accent giving him a unique voice.

“You’re speaking English?” She asked, and silence answered her, obviously he was pondering how to answer it.

“I’m trying to learn it” he spoke after a moment of silence, his words slightly slurred but the effort was certainly pronounced within such a small statement.

“Why?”

“I need to learn it” he answered instantly, obviously something he had learned previously and was able to comprehend with ease.

“I can help you” Jessica explained with a soft smile “what are you currently learning?” She spoke effortlessly.

“Slow down, I’m not that good yet” he whined in Korean, going back to his native tongue, obviously frustrated with himself and his lack of ability to respond properly. Jessica felt bad and changed languages instantly.

“Don’t be disappointed, it’s a hard language” she assured, him humming in the background. “What are you doing?” She asked to break the silence that lingered between them, wishing to change the subject if only to make him feel better.

“Listening to music” he responded without much thought, Jessica nodding as though he could actually see her. “What about you?”

“Reading Shakespeare” Jess responded, her eyes glancing towards the approaching female, and though she was more than happy to spend her time with Beth, she almost wished for ten more minutes with the voice on the other side of the phone. “I have to go now. Will you be okay?” Jessica asked, waving towards her best friend with a bright smile, the female waving back and approaching faster.

“Yeah, I just wanted to talk to you. I’ll let you go first. Bye” he was always quick to hang up, Jess’s eyes blinking at the flashing display screen a few times, her fingers quick to work the keyboard of her phone.

‘Get some rest, goodnight.’

He didn’t give her a chance to say it, so she sent it to him instead before properly focusing her attention on the person who accompanied her. “You look happy today” Beth chided happily, a bright smile against her lips, as though seeing her best friend smiling had somehow made her wish to smile too.

“Today is a good day” Jessica responded with a knowing nod towards her head, and it was all thanks

Please log in to read the full chapter