Make me Smile

Expressing Me
Please log in to read the full chapter

‘I once thought that the dark was the safest place to hide.

I never knew of the shadows that crept within them, nor the whispers of their voices.

I have believed that running away would solve the problem…

That facing them, would only result in torture.

 

I was right, facing you is torture. ~



안녕하시요

Jessica rubbed the sleep from her eyes once hearing the notification along her phone, her hand subtly reaching for the device and allowing her eyes to adjust to the sudden brightness within the dark room. It was hard to read at first, but soon her eyes would adjust and she would find herself confused at the contact who suddenly spoke to her. Clicking on the profile, there was no pictures, only words and quotes that had been posted, primarily lyrics made of various artist whom some she recognized instantly.

안녕하시요 (Hello)

She had forgotten that little ray of happiness, and had almost buried it, waiting months could make someone do that, yet she could not forget the lyrics posted along his profile. They were all good songs and good statements from them, it was impossible to forget them, just like it was impossible to forget that ebony colored hair. More so, it was impossible to forget just how easy it was to speak to him about anything and everything, and how he made her feel when those half-covered eyes would glance within her direction.

‘Do you remember me?’

How could she not?

‘Of course. Have you been well?’

The text that was once fluent and immediate had suddenly halted, as though the question was difficult to answer, and perhaps it was. Being in a state of depression, it was nearly impossible to be well, your mind was constantly clouded by the weight of everything surrounding you. She regretted asking, for it had ended their small conversation, or so she had thought.

‘I’ve been alright. You?’

Now she understood why he had taken so long to answer, for she took a moment herself to answer such a simple thing.

‘I’ve been alright too’ She admitted that she wasn’t well, in fact she felt the opposite of those words and she didn’t wish to lie to someone whom she could open-up too.

Their conversation ended there, nothing more was said, nothing more needed to be stated. They were both doing alright, living life, and waking up despite the difficulties it may have brought to their life. They both knew each other was safe and breathing yet another day, and though they didn’t understand the struggles each person held, it was enough to know they were well and able to respond. Perhaps that is why, she heard from the ebony-colored hair male who seemed so close yet so distant. He must have thought about her too.

“You’re in a good mood” Beth stated upon reaching her best friend, probably confused by the soft smile against her lips opposed to the bored grim expression she often wore.

“I am in a good mood. Today is a good day” Jessica stated while glancing towards the brightening sun, thanking it for rising yet another day in her life, pondering if the sun ever felt like quitting too. “You look miserable” Jessica claimed after a moment of silence “did something happen?”

“Yeah, I ran into HIM” both girls fell silent as they stared at one another, no other words needing to be said for they both understand what person she was referring to. Jessica’s mouth posed into an ‘o’ shape before glancing away, her attention instead falling towards the book within her hand.

“Let’s get to class” Jessica opted not to speak any further about HIM because she knew well that she couldn’t handle it, the voices were already beginning to sound within her head and it suffocated her. It harmed her in the worse way.

Yet she couldn’t escape HIM, for soon a blonde-haired male would walk into the room, silencing the chatter that once lined it, causing frantic eyes to cast within his direction. She was seeing things, she must have because the man she thought of was not a professor with knowledge, he was an illusion made of false hope and promises. That dazzling smile lit up the room and several females could be heard swooning along the room, yet Jessica couldn’t bring herself to pay attention to them, her eyes instead focused on those thick plump lips that once tasted so sweet against her own.

“Hello class” it spoke and Jessica flinched, his voice being the same as she remembered it, telling her lies and maybe’s and never’s “My name is Professor Grant, I’ll be teaching you Phycology this year.” The world began to spin and Jessica had to cling onto the wooden table before her, her nails edging into the material as though it weren’t made of something sturdy.

‘I ran into HIM’ Beth had warned her, she had seen him walking along the halls and flaunting his devilish grin towards young victims. She had seen HIM venturing through the school, opened, and subjected to the compliments that surely fluttered within his presence. She had been warned, yet somehow seeing him was so much worse than she had expected.

Please log in to read the full chapter