her greatest love

her greatest love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You are becoming a woman, and boys will try to sweet talk you to get what they want then move on to the next girl..."


 

Sitting on the sofa, listening impassively at their father ranting angrily and walking back and forth, the sisters braced themselves for the one hour lecture they're going to endure


 

"We lived in sick world where young girls and women are being assaulted, touched inappropriately, and ... I'am not saying all men are bad... I mean look at me...”

 

 

Yeri quirked an eyebrow at that. Wow, her father was shameless.

 

 

"I just want you to be aware of those who only want to use you and hurt you. So, what's the important thing that I'm constantly repeating to you guys?”

 

 

The public sat there in complete silence and the middle-aged man was starting to grow impatient. He glared at his not so innocent daughters, his posture peevish and annoyed.

 

"I'm waiting!”

 

Mr Bae bellowed in a commanding military voice. The two girls in question stared at each other briefly, knowing that there's no escape. Irene and Yeri were used to their dad's overprotective antics.

 

"You are made to chase your dreams and not made to chase after boys." They said dryly, their face expressionless. 

 

"Don’t ever let a boy be the center of your universe and focus on your education and pursuing your passions.” He argued. "You are the prize, you shouldn’t be doing any chasing, a boy that is worthy of you will show up at the right time.” He tapped his chest lightly. "Dad will make sure of that.”


 

Yeri frowned slightly. "But-”

 

"Trust me, I know teenagers, I've been one.” Her dad cut off, disregarding the arguments of people with a differing viewpoint.

 

"Now you are in a new phase of life...from your body and hormone changes, and the heightened emotions... everything is changing at a rapid pace. But trust me, it's not worth it and those dudes are not that cute, you'll realize that when you'll be older-"

 

"It was a girl though...”

 

The comment finally interrupted the older man who was now looking slightly caught guard by this piece of information. Mr Bae blinked, a little confused. Well, he just assumed... and now his monologue might have been useless but it didn't soothe his frustration.

 

 

"S-same thing !” He blustered. "You know I heard from your mom's lesbian friend that girls can be actually worse than men!”

 

 

Rubbing her temples concernedly, Irene sighed. She was so done with this non sense.

 

 

"I'm tired and I want to take nap.” She voiced out, disinterested by all of this. "Just why should I be here for something that she did?”

 

 

"With the upcoming volleyball competition, I know I haven't been able to spy— I mean look after you.” He continued, dramatically breaking his voice helplessly.  "I feel like I can not recognize my innocent babies anymore... I mean Yerim... sneaking out to make out? What happened to the rules of not getting into a relationship before college?“

 

Mr Bae knows that he cannot make life decisions for his daughters. This is their life and they have the freedom to live it. They are their own person, and the only thing he can do as their dad is try to guide them and do his best to arm them throughout these years with as much knowledge and wisdom as he can.

And a little rebellion is always inevitable especially when it comes to the youngest child, right? He always had hope that Yeri is actually a misunderstood angel. But boy he was wrong. There were so many signs. He should have seen it. 

The time when Yeri was six and asked him if they can get a cat but he replied that mom is allergic to cats so they can't get one. He was welcomed with the blunt and almost instant reply of  "when Mom dies can we get a cat?” Or the time, she pulled the chair out from Irene that goes to sit on it and her big sister slipped back and hit her head hard on the table and then the chair and then the floor which resulted to a small concussion. 

Yeri's always been twisting too many guideline and much to his dismay, she always found a way at wiggling her way out of trouble with her beautiful doe eyes. But not this time.

 

 

"I'm not in a relationship therefore I didn't break any rules, we're just messing around”

 

 

"Girls don't mess around! It's Uhaul right away! You're not being sincere with me, Bae Yeri”

 

 

"At least i'm not straight.” said Yeri proudly.

 

 

Like chill, take a pill. What could be worse?

 

 

Mr Bae narrowed his glare. "You'll have to stop saying that whenever I scold you”

 

 

"Dad, it was just a peck.” Yeri thew up one hand and gestured impassively. "That old hag of Mrs Song over exagerated”

 

"Language, young lady.” Mr Bae warned sternly before grumbling something unintelligible, a sure sign that he was frustrated. "Just why can't you just be like your sister Irene, huh? Only focusing on studies and her passions.” He gazed at Irene fixedly, absorbedly, with brilliant, shiny eyes. "Right, my boy hating demon?”

 

His precious Irene who knows the values of hard work, who knows to never do anything unless she is giving it her hundred percent, who is respectful of elder people and have excellent manners. Irene who is always responsible and never act irresponsibly. 

There were rumours circuling around Irene and Mr Bae was a little concerned until he learned what were those rumours about. Irene was known to break many boy's heart at Velvet high school. How cool is that? He could only be proud. Irene worked hard and eventually became the first female president through strict studies, and making a good impression on the teachers. And cherry on top, she is extremely strict towards unruly men in Velvet School causing her to have that nickname. Alternatively, people were really intimidated by her.

Although the answer is of no significance to him, it does pique his curiosity quite a bit. What is it about his daughter that makes people take notice and shift uncomfortably in their seat? Her beauty? Afraid of finding themselves intellectually inferior? His daughter is for sure a catch. Whatever the reason is, he likes that the school see Joohyun as someone intimidating. The power always tastes good. He likes that people think twice before they decide to speak to her, that her presence makes them nervous. He likes that they're so enamored by her goddess appearance that they want to reach out and touch it and that Joohyun have the power do deny them. 

Mr Bae smirked. Peasants. Joohyun doesn't deserve any of them.

 

"Good girls are bad girls that haven't been caught.” Yeri singsonged and Irene glared at her. Luckily, Mr Bae didn't hear that as he was still lost in thought until a ring interrupted his reverie.

 

 

"Shoot gotta go. I have practice to attend... we would have this discussion later with your mom” He picked up his coat and bag, and looked at Yeri. "I'm not done with you, young lady”

 

 

"Can I go with you?” Irene took an immediate interest at what her father was saying and stood up hastily.

 

 

"Oh? Didn't you say that you were you tired?”

 

 

The beautiful girl cleared . "Um... after all this speech, I want us to spend more time together”

 

 

Yeri snorted in amusement when Irene had that angelic look on her face and how her dad swooned at his perfect caring Bae Joohyun.

 

 

"Oh that's so sweet... of course, baby.”

 

 

Yeri eyerolled. If only you knew, dad.

 

(…)

 

"Is is just me or Bae Irene looks awfully unapproachable today?”

 

Suho, one of the Bae Irene's admirers said, as he peered into the classroom door. The beautiful student council president was seating at the back of the classroom in the stiffest and most unsociable position she could choose. She was not even listening to the class, instead stared out impatiently at the clock hanging on the wall.

 

"Pft. What do mean today ?” Kai snorted. "That's her everyday face”

 

The two boys made a challenge to melt Irene's icy heart. The rumors don't scare them. At least not Kai, who's looking now rather confident in his skills of seducing women. Needless to say that he was known to be the school heartthrob.

 

"Yeah but still... I feel like we shouldn't...”

 

"If I see a beautiful woman, I’m going to approach her. I’m not afraid of rejection. You won’t know if you don’t try, Suho.” Kai retorted as he started to spray a harsh mist of perfume, few dashes in his neck, another onto his hair and another for his wrists.

 

"Just watch and learn. That's how you handle intimidating woman.”

 

The bell rang loudly, students rushed out their classrooms, Kai took a deep breath, as he caught the sight of the beautiful woman he was waiting for but Irene seemed to be in a hurry and dashed past him before he could even react. He ran after her calling out her name, but she ignored him and continued to speed walk. He hastily weaved his way through the crowd of students and grabbed her wrist, trying to catch her attention. She spun around and looked briefly at this friendly and unwanted touch on her wrist. Then she gave him a glare so deathly that he turned pale and immediately let go of her wrist. Kai gasped for breath and backed away a little bit feeling that woman is really scary. Maybe Suho was right, she does seem extremely moody today. He instantly regretted his decison but was to afraid to admit to Suho that he backed out. His ego was on line. Moreover, her beauty overshadowed such concerns. Even if they are in the same dance class, seeing her up close and finally talking to her is something completely different. How weird it is that Bae Irene seem to be an unapproachable woman, but her friends describe her as someone fun.

 

Kai gulped down a tense, hard knot that had formed in the back of his throat and managed himself to speak, his face cracking into his infamous charming smirk .

 

"Woh, easy there. It's not good to always have a y face you know.”  He phrased, not wanting to show he was really nervous under her stare.

 

 

"Clearly, it wasn’t y enough since you still came up to talk to me and touch me” Irene hissed.

 

 

Kai's expression showed bewilderment. He was surprised by the abrupt rudeness of this girl.

 

 

"Hey, just wanting to help you with those rumours about you, but you're not helping yourself. You know you can-”

 

 

She didn't let him finish and walked away. She doesn't have time for this.

 

 

".”

 

She heard him mutter and rolled her eyes at the insult. Whatever she does, people automatically assume that she's a hostile or cold person anyway. 

 

Everyone's attention was focused on the student president council who walked through hallway straight like an old canal that cuts through the town, her beauty illuminate more brightly than ever. Suddenly, everything fell into a hush, almost breathless. Every eye was on her, and in the wide circle around every mouth was agape. But the pleasant murmurs died down when they looked that the expression of the goddess. Bae Irene looks terrifying somehow. Whatever or whoever made her somewhat sullen and pissed is gonna get it. They could all tell.

 

Irene made her way to the infirmary of school and bruskly opened the door without even knocking. She spot that person, sitting on the infimary bed with a pack of ice in her hands placed at the red mark on the side of her cheek and a band aid that covered up her nose.

 

Before the injured could say anything, Irene threw herself at her, raining kisses all over her face. The affectionate gesture made the other girl's heart stop for a moment.

 

"Joohyun, I'm fine.” The short-haired girl giggled. Hearing those words alleviated the pressure and chest discomfort Irene was feeling but still, who put her Wendy in such state? As soon as she heard from Seulgi, her bear looking friend, that Wendy got into a fight, she was frantic. She wanted to imediately rush to her but the class already started. 

 

"What happened to you? Who did that to you?”

 

When Irene cupped her cheeks in a tender concerned way, Wendy tried desperately not to melt. She turned away to avoid staring at her gorgeous girlfriend. The last thing she wanted was to worry her.

 

"No one , I just... received a...ball in my face! Yeah, right!”

 

Irene forcefully turned her face towards her again. "Son Seungwan”

 

Her voice came out cold and rigid yet fiery with untamed anger etched within it as she required a truthful answer. Wendy gulped air to help with her nervousness. Irene can really be scary sometimes but she always loved that protective side of her. Irene always looks after the people she cares about and is careful with people's hearts especially Wendy's one. And obviously, Irene was the student president council, she was bound to find out. There was no escape.

 

"Okay, I might just had a little altercation with Amber.” Wendy mumbled. "Let's say that her boxing skills might come in handy at those times”

 

Irene's eyes flashed in momentary anger, no longer controlled, blazing freely. She always had her emotions in control and was usually slow to anger but once it touches her closed ones, she made a dangerous enemy. She just can't help it. When her partner is even the slightest bit upset, just from a facial expression or offhand comment, she becomes hyper-sensitive.

 

"I'll handle this, don't worry. You won't ever have to face-”

 

"Irene, I started this” Wendy interrupted softly. At that, the other woman blinked a bit, obviously startled. She did not expect this. Her girlfriend is not the type of woman to start a fight. Wendy was well known for her very kind nature.

 

"Sh-she just kept say those things about you and-” Wendy stuttered and carefully reached out to entwined their fingers and immediately experienced relief and dissolved anxiety as she felt Irene squeeze back. She looked up at her, those brown eyes always appearing soft in Irene’s company. Kind and honest.

 

"I just couldn't let her.”

 

The moment their eyes met, Irene is overwhelmed by pure numbing joy, setting off both a spark and a calm somewhere in her soul. She can feel her heart swell, thick and proud in her chest, pulsing through the tips of her fingertips like she's on fire from the inside. The endearing gestures Wendy makes around her, the metaphorical butterflies fluttering in her tummy, causing her to unknowingly hold her breath. Sometimes Irene asks herself "is it real?”, and yet she is faced with a person right in front of her, beckoning her every inner desire to love and feel love for this one single person. She can’t put her finger on what makes Wendy different from all of the rest. And while "love” can be a strong word, she knows that in her heart that there is something that is making her like Wendy a whole lot more than all of the other people that have crossed her path.

 

A whisper of a smile played on Irene's lips, and Wendy returned it.

 

"I really don't care about what people say about me, you know that."

 

"But I do because you're nothing like that!” Wendy staunchly defended. "Just because you rejected her it doesn't allow her to say those things about you...people think they can be callous because they view you as emotionally distant or incapable of being hurt, like your feelings are unimportant... I really hate that.” 

 

Her entire statement had been quietly but firmly said in a state of sadness, but this last line was full of adamancy. Wendy freed her right hand to ran it gently down Irene's cheek, a loving caress as she gazed at her.

 

"I know you are an emotionally strong person, but I don’t appreciate the lack of respect directed at you under the guise of you being able to take it" 

 

She pulled Irene close and hugged her waist tight like she'd never let her go. Wendy knows that Irene wants everyone to see her as a strong person but her beautiful girlfriend actually has a soft heart.

 

"You're my person and no one will spread random bull about you”

 

Wendy expected a sharp reprimanding about the greasy comment but instead she felt Irene's beady eyes staring down at her and her sly lips curved into a smile instead. Irene playfully tilted her head, an inquisitive glimmer in her eyes.

 

"Aren't you such a little protector,” she booped her nose, trying to make fun of Wendy. At that, Wendy let go of her and sighed. Her girlfriend is not taking her seriously.

 

Its true that no matter what we say or do, others will make judgments. But Irene is genuinely a sweet and caring person. And Wendy wanted people to know that. They don't how Irene can set aside everything she's doing just for the people close to her. It doesnt matter if she have tons of school work to do, or it's late at night, the fact that she doesn’t want her friends to feel alone is enough for her. When Seulgi, Joy or Yeri need someone to talk to, Irene is always willing to put in effort or even meet them halfway just to listen to them vent and give them the comfort they need. Irene is always so full of encouraging words that she wholeheartedly give to others, even when she barely have them to give to herself. How dare they judge her when they don't know a single thing about her?

 

"Joohyun, I'm serious.”

 

In the place of the normally jovial smile, an expression of sincerity could be seen on Wendy's face and Irene needed to stiffle a laugh because her lover was way too cute.

 

"So, what?” She grinned, leaning closer. "Are you going to fight every single person in this school who talks bad about me?”

 

"If I have to,” Wendy replied with no hesitation earning an arching brow from the other woman.

 

"Wendy, you can't even hurt a fly”

 

"There's no point to hurt a fly right now.”

 

Irene threw a head back and laughed. 

 

"I appreciate that really, but I can take care of myself. Please don't hurt yourself like that...” She said once her laughter turned into a soft giggle. She pushed a few stray hairs off her Wendy's forehead.

 

"Luckily you didn't break your arms or legs, my father would be mad.”

 

"Right...”

 

That would be unconvinient for a libero. Well, for anyone who's playing for the high school volleyball team. As Coach Bae wishes for more practice matches for the team, they have been really busy practicing for the spring tournament.

 

"When's the training camp starting?”

 

"Next week.”

 

"Oh I see...” Irene muttered, trying to mask her disappointment. She always considered herself as not the clingy type. She has spent a lot of her life focusing on what’s right in front of her: her own life, her personal development. It was hard to let people in. But she was ready to put efforts into her relationships, especially with Wendy.

When she craved being alone, she will make sure to not hurt Wendy and not making her believe that she did something wrong or that she have lost interest. Luckily, Wendy understood Irene like no one. The way Wendy sees the small things she does as declarations of her love. Wendy will give her the space even when Irene doesn’t ask for it so that she is able to determine how much space she likes and needs. Wendy knows how hard it is for Irene but also knowledge how hard Irene is trying for her and will always try for her. 

As time passes by, as much as she craved her time alone, she also started to crave Wendy in the quiet of a Sunday afternoon where Wendy will bring over takeout food, where they would just be cuddling, chilling, laughing together, sharing these extensions of who they are, and what shaped the very foundation of their souls. 

Any introverts would be rejoiced by not exposing their relationship to everyone, but it just feels so wrong. Wendy wanted to wait until graduation before making it official. Probably, not wanting to put pressure on Mr Bae. Irene has no other choice but to accept the situation and embrace the role of being her secret lover. Only their common friends and Wendy's mother were aware of their relationship. Her father could be a real pain in and even though he loves Wendy, he did put a dating ban for the team in order for them to focus first on their play. Relationships bring nothing but distraction and they have a reputation to keep. They are basically the pride of the whole city.

 

She took her hand, soothing it and gave a reassuring smile. It was crazy. No matter how rare Irene speaks her thoughts, Wendy would always catch up her worries.

 

"We'll see each other at christmas”

 

"Will you even have time ?” Irene fired back and cringed at how harsh her voice came out.

 

She knows that she shouldn't lash out her frustation on Wendy but she can't help it. They barely see each other anymore, Wendy would always be busy with practice. Even at school, Wendy would be practicing and Irene can only watch from afar while many girls can swoon over her girlfriend openly. Though Irene is confident in her own skin, in her own thoughts and in who she is as a person, she needs Wendy's eyes on her and she needs words of affirmation. She doesn’t want to be the center of everyone’s attention but she just needs to know that she’s the center of Wendy's attention.

 

"I always have time for you.”

 

Irene eyerolled. This was so Wendy, sounding all syrupy sweet and doing like this that makes her turn into a harmless cat. She slightly blushed but tried to not let her reaction show as she looked away.

 

"Jeez... how can you say these words with such a serious and honest face.” She muttered.

 

Wiggling her eyebrows with that goofy crooked smile, Wendy then leaned in to capture Irene's lips. Irene giggled through the kiss, feeling her heart flutter. Their moment was abruptly interrupted by a flash. Both of them detached themselves hurriedly from each other and turned to look at the culprit who was holding her phone with a wide grin on her face

 

"Material blackmail.”

 

That fiery anger built up in Irene again, but this time she had no control over it. Her little sister has the gift to push off her buttons.

 

"You little ."

 

"Boy hating demon but fruity woman” Yeri cackled like a witch around a crystal ball as she looked at the pictures she just took of Irene and her lover. "You know even with that picture, people will still be convinced that you two are only bestfriends" The younger girl seemed to contemplate this quite seriously, her fingers coming up to tap at his chin bemusedly.

 

It was still a mystery to Yeri how can anyone not know their relationship when these two are just being too obvious. Even a blind person can see how disgusting sweet they were towards each other. She can gave so many examples.

 

One. That while sitting side-by-side and neither of them inch away to establish their personal space, like they can’t stand the absence of each other’s skin.

 

Two. They hug without pulling away after the average amount of time, like they took those scattered extra seconds to hold each other close, sniff each other's perfume, feel their bones through their clothes.

 

Three. When they hangout all together sometimes it feels like there's only the two of them in that room, because their gazes keep meeting. Even when they're both in conversation with other people, it doesn’t matter, their eyes keep flicking back to each other. There’s this thin layer of .  It’s like the two have their own little secret. Like they're having a private conversation everyone else can hear, but can’t really comprehend.

 

Last and the worst one is that when they touch each other for unnecessary reasons, like running their hands through each other's new haircut or comparing their hand sizes like they want to feel each other. To be even closer to each other.

 

Yeri shivered, she hated being too observant.

 

"You little . Give me that”

 

Yeri squealed in fear when Irene threw herself at her but she reacted quick and hid behind Wendy using her as a human shield.

 

"You see who you're dating? You still have time to change your mind—  woh it looks more serious than I thought, you look awful”

 

Wendy smiled weakly, her face hurting a bit as she did so.

 

Irene groaned. "Don't you have class to attend? Why are you in this building?"

 

"Can I be worried too? Wendy is my friend"

 

"Oh, thank you Yeri..." Wendy swooned. "I'm okay, it's just a scratch-"

 

"Just tell me the real reason you're here." Irene cut off, not buying her demon of sister's lie.

 

"Wendy... I was soooo worried you know" Yeri hugged the hurt woman. "My heart was going at full speed and i thought i was going to throw up because of how-"

 

"Hey let go of her, you're hurting her" Irene tried to detach them but with Yeri's resistance, Irene elbowed Wendy, smacking her face causing her to fall on  the ground and leaving her unconscious, and that was that.

 

(...)

 

It was like their thing, having the whole sunday just for the two of them. It's the day where neither one of them has obligations or plans. If they do have plans, Irene and Wendy made a vow. Wendy pledged to always let Irene blame her when she doesn’t feel like going out with friends and Irene pledged to always blame her too, because using your significant other as an excuse for staying in is as real as love can get.

 

They changed themselves in comfortable clothes, sweatpants and tee shirt then the two hopeless romantics put on the notebook. Despite them being tucked in the warm blanket, Irene still feel kind of cold so she snuggled to Wendy's warm body, trying to absorb the heat into her cold one. Wendy shifted her attention briefly on her and gave her a smile as she let Irene fall into her arms before she looked back at the screen. Irene could smell Wendy’s vanilla and fruity scent. She felt warm and cosy, and deliciously comfortable for the first time in almost a week. She missed this. Those moments turned out to be rare now. Luckily, Wendy's mom is always willing to give them some time together by leaving the house to them for the day. She trusts Irene that much.

 

Somewhere in between playing footsie and murmuring softly about dinner plans, they both drift off into the most easy, comfortable sleep until the ring woke them up. They almost forgot that they ordered pizza. Both of them make no rush to do anything, because the warmth is just too good to turn away.

 

“Wendy, go open the door” Irene mumbled and Wendy was nudged awake.

 

“Why don't you do go?”

 

Another ring resonated.

 

“Please?”

 

“N-n-no, it's always me.” Wendy slightly stuttered, flustered all of sudden. She's sure that Irene is deeply aware of the effect she has on her

 

“Rock, paper, scissors?”

 

“Call it.”

 

As usual, Wendy loses.

 

“I swear, you always win.” Wendy whined and dragged herself towards the door.

 

 

(...)

 

“So, they say that pisces and aries are not compatible?” Irene asked before taking a slice of pizza.

 

“Well, our sun signs actually don't define everything. Apparentely, our venus sign tell us more about what we're looking for in love.”

 

Irene looked at her for a moment, as though she had to think of a solution. Why d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter