A Spoonful Of Love

Sincerely Yours, Kim Sunggyu

 

 

 

 

 

It was around winter of 6th grade when Kim Sunggyu woke up in a bedroom that wasn’t his.

 

His eyes felt especially heavy and he was warm and uncomfortable all over so waking up had been a slow, difficult process. But when he did manage to get his eyes open, he found himself staring into a very unfamiliar ceiling. It was lower than he was used to and it didn’t have his intricate, delicate chandelier either.

He struggled to stand up after pushing down the heavy blanket on him and he found himself staring into an unfamiliar blue closet, unfamiliar posters of soccer players...a distinctly unfamiliar room. It was smaller, more cramped and messier than he remembered his room to be and his large bookshelves were nowhere to be found.

 

Where am I?

 

His head was aching and his clogged nose was making it difficult for him to breathe properly but he was awake enough to realize that something was definitely wrong. He was sick with a fever again, that much he knew and he was already used to it since his body has always been sick but he didn’t know why he was in this room in the first place. It didn’t look like a hospital room nor did it look like any room of his house.

Then something struck him…something that his mother had warned him a few years ago. Something about bad people and getting taken to places against his will.

Have I…have I been---…

 

“Fluffy!!”

 

The loud bang of the door which accompanied the loud yelling made Sunggyu jump back in surprise, back pressed against the wall behind him. The surprised expression on his face quickly turned into shock when he saw who his ‘kidnapper’ was.

“Y-you!” Sunggyu pointed an accusatory finger at the smiling boy who nonchalantly entered the room carrying a tray of food and drinks with him. The older boy immediately regretted his rash action since the movement made his dizziness and discomfort only worse.

He still couldn’t quite grasp the situation. A few hours ago he remembered having been dropped off to school by his driver just like any other day and he’d been sitting through English class as usual. He’d felt sleepy just before Math class started and must’ve dozed off but he couldn’t remember anything else that happened after that.

 

So how the heck did I end up here…?

 

Sunggyu had been too caught up in his headache and his thoughts that he didn’t notice Woohyun settling down the food and sitting on the bed beside him. “Fluffy, are you feeling better? Umma and I made some porridge and sandwiches for y—hey fluffy!”

He’d placed a hand on Sunggyu’s forehead to check if the fever had finally gone down and was surprised when he felt hotter than ever. Sunggyu smacked his hand away and glared up at him, clearly annoyed.

“Nam Woohyun, why am I here? What the heck happened?”

“Fluffy, you don’t remember? You fell asleep through Math class and when I came to look for you at recess you were still sleeping…you don’t remember how I carried you to the infirmary?”

“B-bwoh?! Y-you…carried me?”

“Mm-hmm…wae? Something wrong with that?”

“B-but…aish, I wanna go home!”

Sunggyu sputtered the words in shock. The horror of finding himself in the annoying boy’s bedroom had been nothing; finding out that he actually owed him as well for helping him out made his stomach churn with disgust. He was used to being taken care of maids, nurses, doctors, if not by his own family members, but they were all people his parents paid to take care of him.

 

“You…you don’t want me to take care of you?”

 

“Of course not…I hate you!”

 

The hurt expression on Woohyun’s face shot right through his heart. The younger boy had gone eerily quiet and the silence that followed his words made his heart feel even heavier.

 

“Woohyun, I--…”

“So all this time…you hated me?”

 

Finding out that Woohyun had helped him out felt weird and uncomfortable. He’s never smiled at the boy, much less given him one kind word over the past two years they’ve known each other. Their being ‘best friends’ had always been Woohyun’s one-sided presumption and he’s never done anything to acknowledge it.

But for some reason, the pained expression on Woohyun’s face was making his chest ache really badly. He wanted to take back the words immediately and wipe out that uncharacteristic expression on Woohyun’s face; he’s gotten so used to that arrogant, carefree smile of his.

A sudden uncomfortable pang hit his stomach while an unfamiliar, uncomfortable emotion settled in his chest.

 

Is this what they call…guilt?

 

The image of Woohyun’s slouched figure would probably remain in his memory. “I--…I’m sorry, I didn’t---…I didn’t mean it, Woohyun. Honest…”

His voice was shaky but sincere, making Woohyun’s lips break into a wide, foolish grin as soon as the words registered. I’m not hated!

“Really? …you really don’t hate me?”

“Yeah, I don’t. It must’ve been the fever talking…so, sorry…” Sunggyu hung his head low, propping his chin on his knees. He didn’t know what the truth really was since up until 5 minutes ago, he could’ve sworn he hated Nam Woohyun with his entire being. But after the words had left his mouth, he questioned them. Did I really hate him?

 

“Then you like me, right? You like me, doncha fluffy?”

 

This time Sunggyu looked up, rolling his eyes at the smiley, enthusiastic boy in front of him who, just 10 seconds ago, had a face that looked like his world had suddenly come crashing down on him. For some reason, a small part of him was happy that he could produce a lot of reactions from the crazy, strange boy who had always been too smiley for his own good.

But that didn’t mean he was just suddenly gonna be nice to him. Nam Woohyun still annoyed the heck out of him.

 

“Don’t go overboard now, pabo…you’re still annoying.”

 

Woohyun, though, was already in his own happy dreamworld. He hugged Sunggyu tight, his eyes completely disappearing since his smile had taken up three-fourths of his face. “Oh fluffy, I really like you too!”

Sunggyu shook his head, his mouth twisted wryly but not really doing anything to push Woohyun away. He was comfortable even though Nam Woohyun was embracing him too tightly that he could hardly breathe.

Before he could contemplate this little fact though, he was attacked with a violent fit of coughing and sneezing, reminding both of them that a certain fluffball was still sick and feverish.

 

“Crap! Sorry fluffy, I almost forgot!”

 

He stood up quickly and grabbed the tray of food, settling it carefully on Sunggyu’s lap before settling on the space in front of the older boy. Before Sunggyu could react, he took the spoon in his hands and dipped it into the hot chicken porridge, careful to blow it gently before holding it in front of Sunggyu’s mouth.

 

“Here, I’ll feed you until you get better, arasso?”

 

Feeling completely exhausted all of a sudden, Sunggyu took the spoonful of the porridge in his mouth without putting up a fight, although the reluctant expression on his face never wavered. Woohyun found it adorable though and couldn’t resist to sneak in a poke on the older boy’s cheek.

Although he knew now that he didn’t really hate Nam Woohyun, Sunggyu still disliked him and would probably go back to ignoring the boy’s outrageous stunts once his fever subsided. But right now, he was weak, parent-less and so damn hungry he wasn’t about to pass up food, even one given to him by a boy he disliked.

He looked at Woohyun from under his lashes, the guilty pout on his lips making him look 4 years old and even more adorable than usual. “T-thanks…Woohyun.” Woohyun bit his lip, letting go of the spoon as he shook with adoration; Sunggyu was being too cute for words.

 

“Aigoo, you’re so cute I wanna hug you aga--…”

“Don’t even think about it, pabo.”

 

Woohyun chuckled with amusement, before dipping the spoon into the warm porridge once again and holding it up in front of Sunggyu’s mouth.

 

“Nam Woohyun…are you really going to feed me all that? It’s not like my arms are broken…”

 

Woohyun held the spoon away carefully when Sunggyu reached out to take it away from him. “Don’t spoil my fun, fluffy…stop being such a grumpy patient.”

“Bwoh?! I dare you to say that again--…*coughs*…--you cocky brat…” Sunggyu coughed violently again, feeling dizzy the moment he tried to move. He was in no condition to be challenging Woohyun at the moment, not that he could win over the younger boy when he was completely well anyway.

Sunggyu opted to lean against the wall and glare at the boy from under his fringe. Woohyun chuckled at his expression, ruffling Sunggyu’s hair as he once again attempted to feed him.

“Stop being uncute, it doesn’t suit you fluffy. Now open your mouth and say ‘aaah’…”

“Like hell I am.”

“Don’t make me tie you up and force feed you, fluffy.”

“As if…you’re not really going to do--…” Sunggyu paused, sighing with frustration at Woohyun’s smirk. “You would. Dammit. Fine.”

Woohyun’s smile became bigger when Sunggyu let him feed him, cheeks puffing out more prominently when he pouted with self-hatred in between bites.

 

“Aish…you’re enjoying this, aren’t you? Stop smiling so much, sheesh…”

“How can I be happy when you’re sick, fluffy?”

“Please, you’re smiling more creepily and annoyingly than usual.”

 

So cute… Fevers always made Sunggyu crankier and more annoyed than usual and Woohyun was quickly getting used to that fact. Sunggyu was right, Woohyun was secretly really happy. He found it terribly endearing the way Sunggyu was pouting angrily but letting him feed him anyway. And he knew it wasn’t just because he’d threatened to tie him up on his bed.

Even though Sunggyu was always grumbling and complaining about him being annoying, the older boy lets him steal his food anyway, even though he could’ve hidden it before Woohyun came to his classroom. And Sunggyu always tutors him in math and science, even though the older boy insisted it was because he hated being around stupid people. And Sunggyu’s hands were always gentle when he applied ointment and bandaged up his wounds and cuts, even though the older boy would scold him longer and more loudly than his own mother did.

No matter how annoyed he was with Woohyun, Sunggyu always took care of him and to be given a chance to take care of Sunggyu made Woohyun extremely happy.

 

“You’re always taking care of me so taking care of you makes me really happy, Sunggyu-ah. That's probably why I can't stop smiling.”

“W-what? I don’t--…I don’t take care of you…”

 

Sunggyu’s eyes had widened with surprise, hearing his name from Woohyun. Woohyun was smiling that foolish grin again and Sunggyu wasn’t entirely sure if it was the fever that was making his cheeks warmer than usual.

Woohyun placed both of his hands against Sunggyu’s face, not poking, pinching or squishing his cheeks but just gently touching him. He didn’t smack the hands away as he usually would, Woohyun’s hands were cool and felt very comfortable against his skin. Sunggyu looked up and for some reason, a weird feeling inside his chest arose when he saw the smile Woohyun was giving him.

 

“You’re really cute, you know that Gyu?”

 

Sunggyu's cheeks felt very, very warm all of a sudden and his heart was beating uncomfortably fast and it didn’t lessen even when Woohyun removed his hands. It's just the fever. He told himself, grabbing the glass of juice and gulping it down while Woohyun chuckled that annoying chuckle again.

 

 

“Shut up, pabo.”

 

 

 

..................................................................................................................................

A/n: My brain's not working...sorry for the filler chappie. XD