Meeting His Parents

Sincerely Yours, Kim Sunggyu

 

 

 

They were 12 years old and in 6th grade when Kim Sunggyu first met Nam Woohyun’s parents.

 

It was the annual take-your-parents-to-school day at K Elementary School, appropriately named ‘Parents’ Day’, where students actually sat up straight and raised their hands up to answer questions and teachers gush on and on how wonderful the kids actually were. It also gave the proud parents to show off their kids and brag about how handsome/cute/smart/talented/etc etc they were.

And like all popular kids, Nam Woohyun had, of course, parents who were as charming and beautiful as he was. Woohyun, who normally stole the spotlight at school all by himself, was now in the center of everyone’s attention along with his father and mother. But this little fact went unnoticed for the boy in question himself since his excitement was directed to another 6th grader who also stood out.

“Gyu~~~…Gyu, over here!”

From the entrance of the school gym, Woohyun waved frantically to the dark-haired boy in glasses and a white beanie a few meters away. The boy ignored Woohyun and didn’t move, making the younger boy only call out louder to him. Woohyun, thinking that the boy just didn’t hear him calling, ran up towards his lonely figure, planning to drag him towards his parents instead.

Sunggyu, looking sullen and obviously parent-less, stood awkwardly away from everybody and would glance longingly at the school entrance every now and then. As always, Sunggyu always stood out like a sore thumb during Parents Day and it wasn't for a good unlike Woohyun.

 

"Look mommy, that kid doesn't have any parents..."

"Sssh baby, that's not very nice...it's not his fault he doesn't have parents..."

 

Right now, he hated everybody else, since everybody else had moms, dads or both with them while he simply stood there and looked abandoned. He felt that he was at that moment and it wasn’t particularly new…neither of his parents had ever attended school functions like this. And although his mother had promised to show up this year, he was already starting to lose hope.

Not that he had much of it to start with.

He knew Woohyun was somewhere near him, calling out to him again to meet his parents but he was in no mood for the boy’s obnoxiousness today. He contemplated on hiding in the library, away from the pitying gazes thrown towards his direction, when a small but strong hand suddenly clutched on his arm.

 

“Fluffy! Come meet my parents!”

 

Sunggyu narrowed his crescent eyes at the smiling boy with a look that could have frozen another on the spot but Woohyun ignored the look completely, too excited he was to introduce his ‘best friend’ to his parents. Stronger and much more enthusiastic than the older boy, Woohyun dragged Sunggyu over to his mother and father despite the latter’s loud protests.

Sunggyu didn’t want to meet his parents…he didn’t want to interact with Nam Woohyun or anyone closely related to him. They’d known each other for a year now and Sunggyu had spent all that time trying to get away from him while Woohyun did the opposite and glued himself to Sunggyu’s side. Woohyun had been trying to convince Sunggyu to come over to his house but due to hatred and other harsh feelings, Sunggyu continued to decline.

This jerk…he just wants to show off his awesome parents since mine didn’t show up…insenstive brat…Sunggyu thought, eyeing the back of Woohyun’s head with daggers. After much struggling, he gave up and let himself be dragged by Woohyun; he was going to save his enery for when he escapes later.

 

“Appa, umma…this is my best friend Sunggyu!” Woohyun exclaimed proudly, an arm casually slung along Sunggyu’s shoulders.

 

Sunggyu’s eyes widened with surprise. He hadn’t expected Woohyun to say that since the boy usually introduced him as ‘fluffy’ or fluffball’ or ‘hamster’ to everyone he knew. He couldn’t quite believe that Nam Woohyun actually said something normal and not completely obnoxious for once. Could it be that--…

 

“Oh, so HE’S the famous ‘fluffy’?”

“Omo, he’s exactly as what we imagined...soooo CUTE!”

 

Sunggyu’s mouth could only gape in shock and horror. Woohyun’s parents, handsome and beautiful as expected, had immediately fussed over hi, pinching his cheek and ruffling his hair affectionately. They made kissy faces at him, oblivious the scowl that seemed to be forever etched on Sunggyu’s face, and continued to gush on and on about how cute ‘fluffy’ was. He realized then where Woohyun had gotten his insensitive and overly-affectionate nature.

He also realized that he shouldn’t have expected anything less from his parents; no person connected to Nam Woohyun could possibly ever be normal.

 

“Where did you meet him Woohyun-ah? Aigoo…so adorable…” Woohyun’s father, a tall, well-built man with smiley eyes that were similar to Woohyun’s, said, giving his hair a good ruffling.

“I met him in class! We played dodgeball and became best friends right away!”

“Bwoh?!” It was the first time Sunggyu actually spoke out after meeting the two but his voice was droned out by the sounds of cooing and gushing.

“Woohyun-ah, you should’ve taken him home before this! Omo, I would’ve cooked all sorts of treats for him!” Woohyun’s mother squealed, giving his chubby cheeks and nose small pinches. “Well aren’t you just the most adorable thing ever…” She talked to him with a tone parents often used on month-old babies instead of tall 12-year-olds.

 

Sunggyu was livid. They were talking about him like he was some sort of cute little animal they saw at the zoo and he didn’t appreciate the fact that Woohyun’s parents also referred to him as fluffy.

Yet he didn’t understand why he couldn’t just tell them to stop touching him and treating him like a child. They were annoying him but at the same time, playing close attention to him. Kind of like Woohyun. It had been a long time since his parents or his older sister actually paid him any attention; they’d been too busy living their lives to mind the only child in the household, Sunggyu.

 

“Sweet fluffy, where are your parents? Can we also meet them?” Woohyun’s mother said in a gentle, kind tone, making Sunggyu look up suddenly. Woohyun’s mother was beautiful to be sure but the kind smile on her face made her seem like an angel to him. He didn’t know how to answer her without sounding pathetic but he also didn’t want to disappoint the kind woman. Even as a child, Sunggyu was mature for his age and he never wanted to worry anyone, whether they be close to him or complete strangers.

With widened, frantic eyes, Sunggyu glanced at Woohyun’s father then at Woohyun himself, who were both wearing the same smiles…kind and excited.

“Well, uhm, they’re not here…yet…” Sunggyu murmured in a low voice, eyes averted to the ground. “…but they’ll come soon…”

He missed the worried expressions exchanged by Woohyun’s parents upon his soft confession. Sunggyu’s mother gave him a gentle hug, much to the quiet boy’s surprise.

“Arasso, we’ll accompany our Sunggyu ‘til his umma and appa get here…right loves?”

“Of course!” Was Woohyun and his father’s enthusiastic tone. Sunggyu almost laughed when he discovered just how alike the father and son pair were but the weird tug in his heart made him quiet instead. He kept his eyes averted to the floor, afraid to smile and let go of the warm hand of Woohyun’s mother holding on to him.

He wasn’t about to admit that the Nam family was the warmest, kindest family he’d ever met. He couldn’t, not with Nam Woohyun in the vicinity.

 

That day, Sunggyu was to give a special performance on the piano. He had opted to run away just before the start of his performance, thinking how pointless it would be to play when his own parents weren’t even in the large gymnasium.

Well, that was before Woohyun had proudly stated that his best friend was a genius pianist. Woohyun’s parents immediately freaked out and gushed and of course, Sunggyu didn’t want to disappoint them. Woohyun had already given an outstanding dance number with some of his friends, it was the first time he actually knew the boy could dance like that, and Sunggyu didn't want to look pathetic right after that.

With a deep sigh, he adjusted his uniform tie before going to the stage and sitting on the piano stool. The piano was his own, a Steinway classic his father had sent all the way from Germany, and he practiced almost everyday since he was 5…playing was almost second to breathing for him.

In his heart, he vowed to play his very best today. And he insisted that it wasn’t because Nam Woohyun had told him he was the ‘awesomest’ pianist he’d ever seen and not because Mr. and Mrs. Nam had readily agreed with him.

 

Woohyun was on the second row, happily squeezed in between his parents. He’d heard Sunggyu practicing only a couple of times but this was the first time he was actually going to see him perform on stage. He was beyond excited.

Scattered applause rang through the crowd when Sunggyu was introduced, his name unfamiliar to most of them, even students. Woohyun and his family though, gave him enthusiastic cheers.

Woohyun swore he saw Sunggyu smile smugly at him before settling on the piano seat and beginning his piece, one that looked complicated and difficult from his point of view. He could only gape, along with many parents and students inside the gymnasium, as Sunggyu’s fingers flew over the piano keys, not missing or breaking a note in the difficult Liszt piece. To his opinion, Sunggyu was practically a genius and he was especially proud to call him his best friend.

 

“Neh, neh umma…fluffy is really awesome, isn’t he?” Woohyun whispered to his awestruck mother.

“Dear, your fluffy is the best 12-year-old pianist I’ve ever seen…it’s such a shame his parents aren’t here to see him…”

“That’s okay umma, I’m sure they know how talented fluffy is…he is my fluffy after all.”

“You really care about your friend, don’t you dearest?”

“Of course umma! Fluffy without Woohyun is like chopsticks without a spoon and a kite without a string!”

 

After a few more minutes, Sunggyu finally hit the last note and an awed applause ran through the crowd, more enthusiastic than the applause that had greeted him in the start. Some, including Woohyun and his parents, were even giving him a standing ovation. Sunggyu was smug.

His smirk was obvious as he bowed, eyeing the crazily-cheering Woohyun with an arrogant expression. He knew he'd given a stellar performance and he suppressed the happy, warm feeling in his chest when he Woohyun's parents clapping hard and enthusiastically.

Another glance through the crowd though, reminded him that neither his mom or dad were there. Not even after they promised him this time. It brought back the ugly feeling of abandonment inside him.

I'm just not good enough.

 

Sunggyu stood alone and lonely once more in the corner of the room, trying not to watch his classmates talking to their parents, parents talking to other parents and their children's teachers. Parents Day was very near its end and none of his parents had shown up. From his spot, he could see Woohyun's parents talking to the teacher, probably hearing nothing but good things about their son. Teachers were obliged to say all good things about the students after all, especially for a popular, lovable kid like Woohyun.

He, on the other hand, would probably be treated differently. He wasn't handsome, charming, nice or athletic like Woohyun; he didn't have the ability to hype up the entire class just by arriving to school. He could understand why Woohyun's parents would attend Parents Day for him...his own mother was probably too ashamed of him to show up.

 

"Hey fluffy, you don't have parents?" One of his classmates, a boy with weird eyes whom he's never talked to before, said with a sneer along with his friends.

Great, just great. If it wasn't annoying enough as it is, Nam Woohyun just had to tell the whole freakin' school about that annoying nickname..

"Awww, poor fluffy...bet they just don't want anyone to know you're their kid, tsk tsk tsk..." The kids' expressions were that of mock sympathy but Sunggyu could hear the snideness in their tones. He was angry yet at the same time, he couldn't help but think they were right.

He stood there, eyes staring hard on the marble floor as chants of 'poor, orphan fluffy' continued to float in the air. Other kids had joined them in taunting the quiet Sunggyu. Woohyun, just noticing the commotion around Sunggyu, immediately jotted over to stand by Sunggyu's side.

"Yah yah yah, what's going on here? Are you guys bothering fluffy?" Woohyun said, pursing his lips comically as he narrowed his eyes at the small crowd.

"Awww Woo, we were just playing with him...he doesn't have parents like us after all..."

"Fluffy has parents okay! And they said they were coming so they will since---..." Woohyun was about to say more when a commotion burst out and people started gathering near the windows, apparently looking at something interesting below. 

 

"Why are their media people here? Did something happen?"

"Omo, isn't that the famous model-turned-international-broadway-star Ha Na? I'm such a big fan!"

"Her husband's the CEO of that world-famous gaming company right? Omo, it's the first time I've actually seen him!"

"Why is she here?! Oh my gosh, she looks so young and beautiful in person..."

"Wait, where is she---..."

 

Woohyun and the kids had no idea what the parents and teachers were gushing about, understanding only that someone as important as the president of the country had apparently arrived at their school. Sunggyu ignored everybody and everything altogether. He wanted to disappear on the spot or get swallowed by a huge hole in the ground or something.

Woohyun's defense hadn't comforted him, it only made him feel even worse. He KNEW his parents weren't just going to miraculously show up now after being absent the whole day and he didn't know what he was going to say to everybody if they didn't. This stupid insenstive jerk...just because he has nice parents doesn't mean he--...

.

"Uhm, excuse me...is there--...is there a Kim Sunggyu in this classroom?" A familiar, melodious voice rang out in the busy classroom, followed by incessant whispering and muttering in the crowd. All eyes fell on the beautiful, glamorous actress and his intimidating-looking husband behind her at the door of Class 6-B. The teacher, unable to stop his mouth from hanging open at the sight of her for a few minutes, struggled to gather his mind and register his words before the boy in question himself beat him to it.

Sunggyu heard the voice though, all the way from the opposite side of the room and immediately perked up with excitement and relief. "Mom! Dad!"

"Woohyun was right, you came, you really came! Oh but you're late! Awfully late!" Sunggyu held them even tighter, afraid they might suddenly appear he let them go and he didn't see the apologetic smiles his mother and father gave him. They held him gently in return.

"Sorry darling, the flight from New York was late and we had problems with overbaggage since your dad over here went overboard with the presents for you and your sister again...oh, it was horrible..."

"Seriously, this is why I invested in private jets in the first place! But mother over here insisted on using the tickets her company provided, kept saying it would be a waste...aigoo..."

"It's alright mommy...you and dad showed up so it's alright..."

 

He'd ran up to them as he'd never ran before, which wasn't saying much since the boy wasn't really a runner. He hugged them both tight by the waist, burying his face between them, quite unable to believe that they'd actually shown up. His classmates could only stare in shock, suddenly aware of their normal-looking, obviously unglamorous parents. 

"Y-you're Kim Sunggyu's parents?" Their teacher, Mr. Choi, stuttered a little as Sunggyu's famous parents turned their attention on him.

"Ah yes, sir. We apologize for arriving so late and causing a commotion, my husband and I hadn't anticipated the sudden delay and--..."

"No, please. not at all...I understand you and your husband have very busy schedules. Rest assured Mrs. Kim, Mr. Kim, that Sunggyu performed splendidly today and you should be very proud of him.."

"Thank you very much, seongsangnim...our Sunggyu here is a little hardheaded sometimes, thank you for taking care of him well."

"It's my pleasure, Mrs. Kim. You see, Sunggyu here is a very bri--..." Before could launch into a hour-long speech about Sunggyu's merits and good points though, a small hand tugged at Sunggyu's parents' arms, making both of them look down to see a handsome, smiling face.

"Hi, I'm Woohyun! Fluffy here must've told you all about me but lemme introduce myself anyway since umma says it's polite this way. I'm Gyugyu's best friend!"

Sunggyu groaned against his mother's stomach while his parents exchanged confused but amused smiles. Sunggyu was forced to turn around to face him after a few seconds of expectant silence.

"So, uhm, Woohyun-goon? You're our Sunggyu's friend?"

"His best friend, Mrs. Kim...best friend! Didn't he---...didn't he tell you all about me?" Woohyun's expression had gone from bowl-me-over happy to wide-eyed worry in an instant. It was the sort of face no human being could possibly be immune to; even Sunggyu's parents immediately felt the need to comfort the boy right away.

"O-oh..of course! Of course he did dear..." They'd smiled awkwardly before giving their frowning son a pointed look, knowing fully well that Sunggyu had never mentioned a 'Woohyun' nor a 'best friend' to them before.

Woohyun apparenlly, was oblivious to the whole exchange and launched into a long story about their mishaps together, most of which involved Sunggyu being dragged into a whole lot of mess by Woohyun.

"Cool! Then he told you about that time we played dodgeball together, studied together, we even fought against evil guys together...we've been through a lot! Did he tell that I'm--..."

 

It didn't take Sunggyu long to realize that within 5 minutes of meeting him, his parents had been immediately charmed by one, annoying Nam Woohyun. After his parents met the younger boy's parents, they had also been immediately charmed by the smiley, happy-go-lucky people. Everybody, it seemed to him, had gotten along right away after meeting each other and Sunggyu couldn't understand any of it. Why his parents didn't find Woohyun weird or annoying and why his parents didn't find Woohyun's parents weird and annoying as well.

Everybody was getting along so well, it was almost scary. 

And it seemed to Sunggyu like the horror just wouldn't stop coming.

 

"Mrs. Nam, would you and your family like to join us for dinner later? Woohyun and Sunggyu would be very happy I think and I'd like to get to know you more...if you don't mind..."

"Of course, we'd love to! Our Woohyun has been so excited to spend more time with his best friend and it'd be our honor to join you guys for dinner!"

 

Scary. Everything was scary. Nam Woohyun and him just acquired another reason to get closer; Woohyun was ecstatic and as excited as a rabid bunny, Sunggyu, on the other hand, was already imagining the many tragic things that could happen in the near future.

Nam Woohyun sleeping in his house, Nam Woohyun burning down his house, Nam Woohyun eating his favorite, only-once-a-week chocolate mousse, Nam Woohyun opening his drawers and looking at his diary...the more he thought about it, the more Sunggyu thought that inviting Woohyun in his territory would spew nothing but trouble.

 

"Wait, i have an idea...the boys should have a sleepover! It's the weekend after all and our Sunggyu has never had any friends sleeping over before..."

"That sounds wonderful!"

"Isn't that awesome fluffy? We can bunk in your room tonight and play video games!"

"Fluffy...?"

 

Perfect. Just, friggin, perfect.