002

Heartbeat

Tiffany 

 

The sound of the violin has never been this painful. Each note brings so much pain. She wanted to run and hide. But at the end, she comes back longing for the sound of it. 

 

A violinist, praised by many. Tiffany, who grew up in a musical household with a pianist father and an opera singer mother. What could she possibly ask for? 

 

As time went on, she started to hate music. The calmness that classical music could bring turned into hatred. It started to sound cacophonous. 

 

It was a long night. A stressful day for Tiffany. She performed as the main violinist, after all. Tiffany went backstage, trying to calm herself as she messed up a few notes. They weren't noticeable as she played with so much emotion—the audience probably felt the pain too. She was about to cry when she saw her parents approaching her. Tiffany smiled, but not until her father spoke. “You can do better than that. You messed up the notes. It’s a shame.” Tiffany’s world crumbled. She was 18, trying to live up to people's expectations. 

 

She apologized and went to the bathroom quickly. How can the world be this cruel? One time she was praised for her skills. She was loved. She also loves the attention, but now she could do Erlkönig but would mess it up midway. 

 

She's aware that no one's inside the comfort room, so she sang. Her voice cracks, but she couldn't care less. Her voice was unique; it was low and husky, but it was also calming. She might not know it, but the person inside the cubicle probably thinks so. 

 

After minutes of contemplation, the person finally decided to go out. After all, she's running late. But before she leaves, she wanted to compliment the lass. At least that's what she thought. “You have a nice voice.” said the person. But to the person's surprise, it was also the girl she had been eyeing the whole evening. The one who captured the people's eyes and emotion. “You did well, too.” 

 

“You have a nice voice” and “you did well." How can these words bring so much comfort to Tiffany? “Thank you, my name is Tiffany.” She smiled for the first time in the evening, she genuinely smiled. “The name is Choi Sooyoung.” the latter smiled. 

 

After that evening, for a whole week, Tiffany would go to the concert hall where she performed. Hoping for Sooyoung to appear. But the luck has never been on her side; maybe it did, at least once. But then, fate must've been planning something. 

 

One night Hyoyeon asked Tiffany to come over to her place. And Tiffany did, with the consent of her parents. After all, her parents like Hyoyeon so much. Her best friend since kindergarten. They pursued different paths, though. Hyoyeon chose to be a ballerina, it has been her dream to become a dancer. 

 

Tiffany sighed; she was nervous; she feels like her heart would burst at any moment as it doesn't stop beating so fast. “What the hell, Kim Hyoyeon?” She whispered, and it was enough for Hyoyeon to hear. “You did well last time. I wasn’t able to treat you because you suddenly disappeared. I thought you might need some break.” Hyoyeon chuckled. 

 

Both of them entered the bar. Tiffany doesn't know why and how Hyoyeon managed to find this place, but one thing's for sure: if her parents knew, they're both dead. It was time for the band to perform, and Tiffany couldn't care less as she thought of the possibility of what might happen to them both. Not until she saw a familiar face—Choi Sooyoung, wearing a leather jacket, who looks cool and ethereal, playing the drums. At this rate, it’s dangerous for Tiffany’s heart. This felt more intense than earlier. 

 

 

After the band performed, Sooyoung went straight to Tiffany’s place. Tiffany panicked; it wasn’t visible, though. She needs to remain calm to not embarrass herself. After the night where the two met, Tiffany wanted to be her friend—or maybe more than that. 

 

Who would've thought a simple sneakout would turn into something big? 

 

Tiffany sighed, thinking of what had happened years before. She sees her best friend Kim Hyoyeon, holding the bass guitar, waiting for her to go to the stage where she's in. Tiffany smiled; it was enough to know Hyoyeon is by her side. It was enough for her to move forward. 

 

Tonight's the day where Sooyoung and Tiffany first meet, so it breaks the latter's heart to not see the person who she adored the most, in addition to the fact that Sooyoung left their band. The person who pushed her to come out of her comfort zone. Life with Sooyoung has always had its ups and downs; they weren't dating, but Tiffany hopes they are. She wished they were. 

 

She decided to sing “Killing Me Softly” and told her bandmates. She'll probably tell them what Sooyoung texted her after the show, if she has the courage and energy to do so. She sings the song with so much emotion that if you listen to it, it feels like she's telling her story. Telling her what she feels. 

 

Since their drummer didn't show up, the band needed to do something. They hoped for someone who was actually skilled or decent. A person who will not troll them. And then Taeyeon showed up. 

 

After the performance, Tiffany didn't say anything to her bandmates, even to Hyo. She thought she needed time to think and breathe. It's heartbreaking for her to think that Sooyoung will not be there anymore, playing the drums while smiling at her, because that's the only time she will see Sooyoung's real smile. 

 

The idea of someone else playing the drums instead of Sooyoung—Tiffany hates that idea. She thinks Sooyoung is the only person that's fitted to play the drum with the band; her hands fit perfectly with the drumsticks, the way her hands move with the beat, and the way her hair moves like it's alive and dancing to Sooyoung's beat. It felt surreal. Maybe it's only Tiffany who sees all of it. Maybe she thinks Sooyoung's hands fit perfectly with hers. Every time Sooyoung plays the drum, she feels at ease. It feels like her voice only sings to Sooyoung's beat. Before she noticed it, she was already crying. The tears started to flow from her eyes; that's when the girl who had played the drum earlier appeared. 

 

The girl gave her a tissue, and Tiffany thought that it was odd to give someone an unused tissue when most people give their handkerchief—maybe it only happens in movies. But that wasn't it; earlier, when she heard the woman play to drums, it felt like home; it felt warm. She only realized it now. 

 

“How can a broken person play such a beautiful beat?” Tiffany thought. Out of intrigue, Tiffany asked something. “Can you be the band’s drummer for a week?” Tiffany wanted to know the difference between Sooyoung and Taeyeon. Sooyoung's beat is cold and can bring chaos, which is the total opposite of Taeyeon's beat. 

 

She didn't actually expected her to agree, but then, Taeyeon did.