001

Heartbeat

Taeyeon. 

 

She had six bottles of beer. Yuri on her side, asking from time to time if she can still handle the alcohol and each time Yuri ask, Taeyeon always answer one thing; I am. And then give her an assuring smile, at least Taeyeon thinks it is. On the other hand, Yuri is worried and heartbroken. She hates to see her best friend like this. She hate it when she sees Taeyeon making the alcohol as a coping mechanism. She lets her today though. 

 

She lets her today. 

 

The vocalist of the band announced that whoever has a song request or someone who knows how to play the drums can join them for the night. Come to think of it, no one has been playing the drum tonight. 

 

Taeyeon who swore eight years ago that she won't ever touch the drum ever again is now on stage, holding the drumsticks confidently. Perhaps it's the alcohol that's kicking in. Perhaps, she thought she saw a familiar figure. 

 

Taeyeon spoke softly “Bleeding Love”. The vocalist smiled at everyone. “Bleeding Love it is. Everyone, round of applause for Miss–” the vocalist stopped midway, realizing she hasn't asked for the woman’s name. “The name is Taeyeon.”, the vocalist then continued her sentence “Miss Taeyeon!”, she smiled. It was the warmest smile Taeyeon have seen. It makes you feel safe, warm, and home. An eye smile. It was precious that Taeyeon almost forgot that she has to play the drums, maybe the latter actually forgot how to play drums. 

 

And then there's the chorus. The vocalist’s voice conveyed much emotions today rather than usual, her bandmates could tell, the regular costumer of SSBar could tell. It feels like she’s telling her own story on the song—everyome felt it as their hearts started to ache. Almost everyone at the bar started singing together with the vocalist. That's when Taeyeon realized she's been playing the drums for awhile now. Tears started falling on her cheeks. Was it because of the song? The vocalist’s voice? The memory? Who knows. She's confused as Yuri. 

 

The song has ended, Taeyeon and the vocalist both excuse themselves. 

 

Yuri rushed towards Taeyeon’s direction. She didn't ask. She remained silent until the latter broke down. Yuri carefully held Taeyeon, trying not to hurt her. If she can change the latter’s fate, she would. She would trade everything just to see Taeyeon happy again. It has been eight years. 

 

Eight years since Taeyeon head a maddening cacophony of laughter. It feels like the heaven sent someone or something to make fun of her; for being a jerk and an . Eight years has passed and the latter still blame herself for something she can't control. She still blame herself for Jessica’s death. The love of her life. 

 

Jessica who witnessed Taeyeon grow and become a person. Jessica never liked tragic ending. Jessica is the epitome of warmth to Taeyeon, as Jessica can calm Taeyeon's storm. When she think, there would be Jessica who will guide her. Taeyeon is the ocean and Jessica was the pond and she hated it. She hated how Jessica always stayed by her side; she won't even leave her when all Taeyeon did was push her away. Until Jessica had enough, that's what Taeyeon thinks. 

 

Yuri asked the bartender for water, she needs to calm down Taeyeon. That's the best thing to do right now. 

 

On the other hand, Taeyeon made her way outside, not wearing her leather jacket. She wanted to feel the coldness of the night. When Yuri told her to wait, she knew she needs to pull herself together. Yuri's voice can keep Taeyeon sane at the time like this. She stayed at the balcony of the bar for awhile, didn't dare to move, until she heard someone cries. She stopped for a moment thinking if she should comfort this person or not—she decided not to. After all, sticking on somebody's bussines is not her thing. She's about to go when she saw who's the person that's crying; it's the eye smile vocalist. 

 

Gladly, Taeyeon have an unused tissue on her pocket. They're still fine and the vocalist needs them. She looks like a mess, her makeup is a mess. It's Taeyeon who's looking at the vocalist though; she thinks she's still breathtaking as she was on the stage earlier, but she prefer seeing her smile. 

 

The eye smile vocalist took her time and breathe before speaking. “Tiffany, my name is Tiffany.” Taeyeon bit her lips. Unsure what to answer. “It’s nice to see you around. Are you a professional drummer?” Drummer, huh? 

 

It was odd. Taeyeon didn't react at the question at all. If someone asked her if when she'll play the drums again, she would roll her eyes out of annoyance. People loved her for being a drummer, for being a natural. Maybe, she was a professional drummer afterall. 

 

“I am.” Tiffany smiled but without her eyes. Taeyeon was disappointed for a second, she almost gave the woman a weird look. “Can you the band’s drummer for a week?” 

 

Taeyeon who hasn't touched the drum for eight years is now being asked by a random vocalist if she can be the drummer for a week. For someone it might be a simple question but for Taeyeon, it feels like her life depends on it—if you could hear her heart beat, you would think that it's a random person playing the drums as it's too aggressive and fast. 

 

“I would love to.”