Purple sticky notes

When I Met You (SR)

 

“Trust me, she’s great!” Sooyoung chirps through the phone. Joohyun sits on the couch with her phone pressed between her ear and shoulder and with her hands scrolling on her laptop— stalking Sooyoung’s friend from class.

“Are you sure? Her Instagram page isn’t telling me much.” Joohyun huffs.

“Yeah that was me when I first saw her in class, she doesn’t post a lot”, Sooyoung sighs. “But trust me when I say she is the most lovable person you’ll meet, unnie! She’ll be a great roommate!” 

“Okay… I guess I’ll trust you. I’ll call you later, she’s coming soon.” Joohyun shuts her laptop down.

“Okay! Be nice, bye!” Sooyoung chirps and Joohyun ends the call with a sigh, still feeling a bit uneasy because it takes her a while to get used to people— and now she’s going to be living with another person.

 

She gets up from the couch and begins to scretch her limbs, but then the doorbell interrupts her mid-stretch and she blinks.

 

She in a breath before opening the door and she’s not ready for Kang Seulgi at all because she isn’t at all what she heard from Sooyoung and what she expected.

 

“Hi! You must be Bae Joohyun!” Seulgi speaks loudly. Joohyun jumps a foot in the air as she shrieks at the sudden greeting, and Seulgi’s eyes widen comically.

“Oh my god- I’m so sorry!” Seulgi’s face immediately contorts into fear. “I didn’t mean to scare you, I-I didn’t know how loud I was.”

“I appreciate the warm greeting.” Joohyun breathes out without malice as she finds Seulgi still trying to smile awkwardly. “Nice to meet you, Kang Seulgi.” 

“N-nice to meet you too, Bae Joohyun.” Seulgi stutters.

 

It’s dead silent after that eventful meeting as Seulgi is settling in, and Seulgi had forgotten simple human functions because she scared Joohyun upon first meeting, so now her entire life is doomed and she’s a terrible person— at least, that’s what she thinks.


 

Seulgi blinks when she finds a container of cut up fruit with her name labelled on it. There’s a purple sticky note attached to it too as it feels cool to the touch as Seulgi reads it.


 

Had extra fruit left, made one for you too :)

- Joohyun (unnie)


 

Seulgi grins and brings the container of fruit into her room, where she had been painting all day.


 


 

Seulgi does not bump into Joohyun usually— only occasionally when it’s the morning and when it’s dinner time. In the morning, Joohyun wakes up early and begins to type away at her laptop. The continuous tapping against the keys wakes Seulgi up even though she isn’t a light sleeper. This eventually makes Seulgi roll around a couple times before coming out to greet Joohyun who looks up and smiles gently. 

 

Joohyun is a writer, Seulgi discovers one night when it is late and she returns home from hanging with friends— only to find Joohyun fast asleep at the dinner table with papers, binders, folders and her laptop all in a state of disarray. Seulgi kicks off her shoes and then she’s organising the papers around Joohyun quietly as best and neatly as she can and she doesn’t do it on purpose, but then she’s skimming across a few pages and she’s surprised for it to be possible for her to share the same space as an incredible writer. 

 

She places the fluffy blanket from the couch carefully over Joohyun and she brushes the hair away from Joohyun’s face as gently as she can. Joohyun stirs, but she does not wake and then Seulgi leaves a purple sticky note from Joohyun’s pencil case.

 

U fell asleep and left a mess hehe.

I fixed up your papers,

sorry if I may have messed up an order if u had one. 

P.S

You’re a beautiful writer,  unnie !

- Seulgi (dongsaeng)

 

Seulgi had definitely messed up the order Joohyun had her papers in, but when Joohyun wakes, she can’t find it in herself to be upset when she finds the purple sticky note in the morning.


 


 

When Joohyun cooks, Joohyun cooks quietly and not rushed because she could only feed her own mouth, but she’s a forgetful writer and she lives with a starving artist, and she isn’t mean. 

 

When Joohyun cooks, Seulgi comes out of the room covered in paint and she washes her hands and arms off in the kitchen sink. 

 

When Joohyun cooks, Seulgi peels potatoes, cuts them into quarters, peels carrots, cuts them into sixths, and she trickles them calmly into the boiling soup pot. 

 

When Joohyun cooks, Seulgi sets up the table, with a pair of chopsticks on either side of the table, and a spoon each for themselves. 

 

When Seulgi sets up the table and Joohyun turns the boiling pot off, she pours the soup into two round bowls and garnishes hers to perfection and adds little to none to Seulgi’s bowl because Seulgi doesn’t really like green vegetables. 

 

When Joohyun serves the bowls to the table, Joohyun and Seulgi do not sit across from each other— they sit diagonally, where stolen glances won’t mean a thing because sitting across each other is far too intimate for people who are only tied together as roommates and nothing else.


 

They later find it easier to hold conversations face to face over dinner.


 


 

When Joohyun sleeps for work, Seulgi’s up painting and she tries her best to not make any noise, but there’s that night a few months into their lease that there’s a small knock to her room door and Seulgi can still hear it through the music of her headphones. She wipes her hands hastily on her apron before opening the door to find Joohyun with her hair mussed, holding a pillow tightly in her arms with eyes full of sleep. 

 

“Could you go to bed, please?” Joohyun asks nicely and Seulgi blinks. “The light from your room is creeping through under my door, sorry.”

 

“O-oh, no I’m sorry.” Seulgi blurts sheepishly before taking off her apron and turning off the light to the room to replace it with the lmao in her room. Joohyun then retreats back to her room with a quiet “thank you”. Seulgi also learns that Joohyun can only sleep in pitch black— complete darkness, which honestly terrifies Seulgi a bit.


 


 

It’s New Year’s Eve and Sooyoung’s throwing a party and Seulgi and Joohyun have decided to arrive a bit later due to Joohyun’s brain-fart for a page she wanted to finish, and Seulgi’s patience.

 

Sooyoung pulls them in immediately with a scolding that falls on deaf ears since Seulgi’s just spotted some brownies and Seungwan’s swatting her away from it with a scolding that doesn’t fall on deaf ears since they’re weed brownies and they all don’t really need a high Seulgi at all in this life.

 

The party is loud and full of people, just as expected of Sooyoung who knows so many people in the world it makes Joohyun nauseous.

 

The countdown is yet to begin and Seulgi’s hearing about New Year's kisses and her eyes are farting across the room in panic because suddenly everyone is pairing up and she had no idea that this was still a thing.

 

Joohyun’s in the same dilemma and so when she and Seulgi meet eyes from across the room— they’re walking towards each other like it’s natural and it’s what they’ve been doing for a while.

 

“Hey.” Seulgi smiles.

“Hi.” Joohyun says.

“So.” Seulgi begins.

“So.” Joohyun shrugs.

“Okay, this isn’t going anywhere, unnie.” Seulgi chuckles and Joohyun’s giggling.

“How have you been this fateful night, Kang Seulgi?” Joohyun asks.

“Well. It’s a Park Sooyoung party alright.” Seulgi chuckles and Joohyun nods with a laugh.

 

“Are you tired yet?” Seulgi asks.

“A little.” Joohyun says softly.

“Do you think Sooyoung will notice if we head off a bit earlier?” Seulgi proposes and then Joohyun’s looking around the room for Sooyoung just to find the younger girl dozing off on Yerim’s shoulder— who’s in a state that’s not any better than Sooyoung.

“Nah.” Joohyun grins and then they’re going out by the front door where no one really notices and Joohyun’s wearing Seulgi’s coat as the younger girl leads the way— walking backwards, facing Joohyun.

 

They reach home before the new year and Seulgi’s eyes are hazy as she enters her room. 

 

“Seul?” Joohyun calls out and Seulgi’s turning back around to find Joohyun in her doorway.

“Unnie?” Seulgi walks towards her. “What’s up?”

“Nothing.” Joohyun shrugs. “Just…”

 

And then there’s a gentle hold on her wrist and Seulgi surges forward as Joohyun kisses her cheek.

 

“Happy new year, Seulgi.” Joohyun smiles before retreating to her own room.

 

Seulgi places her slender fingers at the buzzing sensation on her cheek.

 

Her watch beeps: 12:00am.


 


 

Joohyun learns later on that Seulgi is an extreme hard worker. Most days and most nights, Joohyun doesn’t see Seulgi come out of her room at all and how Joohyun knows Seulgi is still up and moving is the noise of paintbrush gliding against the canvas creating bold and gentle Joohyun is yet to gain permission to see.

 

Seulgi pops out one evening and she’s knocking on Joohyun’s door gently with now paint free hands.

 

Joohyun opens the door.

 

“Hi, did you need something, Seul?” Joohyun blinks, surprised at the sudden visit to her room.

“Yes. I need you.” Seulgi says as she grabs Joohyun’s hand and pulls her outside. Joohyun follows obediently and then they’re outside of Seulgi’s room.

 

“You asked if you could see what I was painting when I finished, remember?” Seulgi reminds her.

“Yes, I remember.” Joohyun nods.

“Well, I finished.” Seulgi grins before letting Joohyun in.

 

Joohyun gasps quietly and her eyes widen at the sight of Seulgi’s dedication and hard work all displayed on the painting. 

 

“You can touch it, it’s dry.” Seulgi encourages her. Joohyun brings up a tentative hand and she’s tracing the lines, the paint — feeling the texture in the paint as she grazes the canvas lightly.

“This is beautiful, Seulgi.” Joohyun says softly.

“It’s my project. Tomorrow we’re handing it in for the exam.” Seulgi tells her.

“Really? I feel like this should already be in a museum.” Joohyun says and Seulgi laughs.

“Not yet, but I’m getting there.” Seulgi shrugs modestly.

“Humble, I see.” Joohyun teases her.

 

Joohyun spends more time admiring the painting and Seulgi lets her do it quietly as she breathes properly as she takes in all the work she’s put into the painting.

 

“Will you come to see me - I mean, us, after the exam?” Seulgi refers to Sooyoung. Seungwan and Yerim.

“I will. I’ll take time off work.” Joohyun says, feeling like she needs a break from her laptop.

“You don’t have to take time off, though! I know writing is important to you and-”

“I’ll be there.” Joohyun affirms and then Seulgi’s grinning so hard, Joohyun finds her smile blinding to look at.

 

They hadn’t let go of each other’s hands since they left Joohyun’s room.

 

 

 

 

Joohyun spends the morning making a cake and cupcakes to congratulate and to comfort the girls and she finds herself peaceful— albeit feeling a slight absence of a daily presence in her apartment as Seulgi isn’t here and is at her uni campus. Seulgi’s art class examination is a day earlier than the other’s because Yerim has her exams next week because she’s a sophomore, and Seungwan and Sooyoung’s since they take different majors and their professor extended the date after someone proposed if they could land a coin in the professor’s mug from the back of the lecture hall, then he had to let them have another day and it actually worked— so she sets aside a few cupcakes and the cake into the fridge, since they’ll be over for dinner soon.

 

The rain outside begins to drizzle— momentarily distracting her and Joohyun doesn’t feel well knowing Seulgi will have to face the rain after a difficult examination. So she packs the cupcakes into a box, places it in a bag over her shoulder, and takes the largest umbrella in the apartment.

 

“You came.” Seulgi blinks when there’s a red umbrella over her head. Seulgi smiles as she watches Joohyun try to stand taller with her arm stretched to hold the umbrella over their heads as Seulgi is much taller than Joohyun. Seulgi takes the umbrella to hold it properly over them and Joohyun mutters a quiet thank you.

“It was raining, I had to come.” Joohyun grins. “So, did you pass?” Joohyun smiles hopefully and Seulgi looks down with a sigh.

“You.. you didn’t?” Joohyun’s voice falls.

“Hm… I passed.”

“Your teacher better not have failed you because then I need to have a word with them - wait, did you say you passed?!” Joohyun jumps and Seulgi breaks into a grin.

“I passed!” Seulgi jumps.

 

They both jump and eventually the umbrella falls, and soon the two of them are running around in the light rain.

 

“Oh shoot!” Joohyun stops abruptly and begins rummaging through her bag.

“What happened?” Seulgi’s eyes widened.

“I almost forgot!” Joohyun pulls out a paper container, and Seulgi peeks into the plastic film on the lid and finds two cupcakes.

One cupcake says, “Congratulations!”, and the other says, “You did well!”

“I was meant to give either one if I knew you passed or failed… one’s more optimistic than the other, but they both still work.” Joohyun shrugs sheepishly.

“Thank you, Joohyun-ah.” Seulgi grins softly and Joohyun’s cheeks warms. “Let’s go home and eat them!”

“Okay.” Joohyun smiles.


 


 

Joohyun doesn’t notice it really– or at least she tries not to since Seulgi had begun to call her unnie less because she’s been calling her “Joohyun-ah” so very often, Joohyun doesn’t know why her cheeks feel so warm hearing the younger girl call her like that.

 

When Seungwan, Sooyoung, and Yerim are over at their apartment to celebrate team rocket’s passing grades, Joohyun doesn’t expect Seulgi to call her name without any honorifics.

 

“Joohyun-ah, can I bring the cake out yet?” Seulgi asks from the kitchen.

 

Joohyun blinks.

Yerim drops a fork.

Seungwan’s jaw drops.

Sooyoung guffaws.

 

“Uh, maybe in a bit, Seul.” Joohyun says with her cheeks slightly pink as she raises the glass of water to her lips.

“Okay!”

 

Sooyoung’s the first to speak, and Joohyun wishes she wasn’t. “So, you guys dating?” 

Joohyun chokes on the glass and some of the water sprays onto poor unsuspecting Seungwan.

“S-sorry, Seungwan-ah.” Joohyun chokes out.

“I’ve never seen you so ungraceful, unnie!” Yerim’s cackling and Joohyun sighs.

 

“What’d I miss?” Seulgi slides into her chair like she hadn’t left and she brushes up against Joohyun until their elbows are touching. Yerim looks at the non-existing space between them and Joohyun feels shy so she moves away a bit.

 

“Nothing, Seul..gi.” Seulgi blinks at the strange way she pronounces her name, but she doesn’t comment on it.

“Sooyoung-unnie’s just wondering if you guys are-”

“Actually, I’m feeling for some cake, do you mind getting it?” Joohyun speaks and Seulgi nods.

“O-okay!” Seulgi leaves her chair again.

 

“Yah, Kim Yerim.” Joohyun glares at the youngest of them and she grins. 

“Okay - so, what I’m getting from this is that you have a raging crush on your roommate.” Sooyoung stifles a laugh and Joohyun shrinks at the table.

“You must have got it bad, unnie.” Yerim’s giggling too and Seungwan looks at her curiously. Sooyoung stops laughing and Yerim follows.

“You actually have a crush?” Sooyoung leans forward.

“On your roommate?” Yerim sits up properly.

“Unnie, it’s okay, you can tell us.” Seungwan smiles at her encouragingly and Joohyun taps her fingers against the table rapidly.

“It’s not a crush!” Joohyun finds herself raising her voice in a harsh whisper.

“But…?” Yerim continues for her, knowing her unnie too well.

“…she’s gotten me out of my writer's block.” Joohyun confesses.

 

Yerim drops a fork.

Seungwan’s jaw drops.

Sooyoung’s eyes widen.

 

“Woah.” Seungwan is rendered speechless.

“At this point, you should propose marriage.” Sooyoung comments.

“I’m all for it.” Yerim nods as she picks up her fork.

 

Seulgi comes around with the cake.

“...did I miss anything again?” Seulgi asks.

“Nothing at all.” Jooyun smiles at her.

“Oh, okay.” Seulgi smiles too.

 

Seulgi cuts Joohyun a slice and serves her first. She cuts everyone else a slice too and serves it to them before she serves herself one.

 

“Okay. I approve.” Yerim nods.

“Same.” Sooyoung nods.

“Yup.” Seungwan nods.

 

“Approve what?” Seulgi asks with full of icing.

“Nothing, Seul.” Joohyun chuckles before bringing her thumb up to wipe the cake from the corner of Seulgi’s mouth.

 

Seulgi swallows before saying thank you and a light blush blooms across her cheeks.


 


 

It’s Joohyun’s birthday and Seulgi doesn’t find out until she’s in class and she’s sitting beside Seungwan and Sooyoung who are giggling amongst themselves.

 

“Dude, it has to be this photo, look at her face!” Sooyoung giggles and Seulgi’s eyes flicker towards them to see what’s on Seungwan’s phone.

“No, but this one is way better, this one’s cute - y’know what, let’s just ask Seulgi!” Seungwan says and Seulgi pretends she hadn’t been nosy at all.

“Hm?” Seulgi blinks.

“We’re making Joohyun-unnie a birthday banner for tonight but we can’t decide on a picture because Wan wants it to be nice and cute, but I want this picture.” Sooyoung tells her and then she’s blinking— not looking at the photos at all. She’s glancing at Seungwan, and then Sooyoung, and then her face drops.

“It’s Joohyun’s birthday?” Seulgi grows pale.

“Yea? Didn’t you know?” Seungwan asks, a bit confused.

“She didn’t tell you, I’m guessing?” Sooyoung sighs at the thought of her helpless unnie.

 

Seulgi shakes her head and then she’s panicking.

 

“Oh my god - what do I do? I’m done for!” Seulgi panics. “She’s going to be sad and then mad - and then maybe she’ll kick me out of the apartment and tell me off for being a bad friend - and then-”

“Will you relax!” Sooyoung taps her on the head with the back of her hand.

“Ow.” Seulgi pouts.

“You still have like five hours to figure out what to do. Joohyun-unnie doesn’t get back from her parents' place in Daegu until eight.” Seungwan tells her and Seulgi’s breathing normally again. “We’re setting up a surprise party at your apartment anyways, so at least you’ll be doing something.”

“Plus, I’ll help you shop!” Sooyoung squeals.


 

Seulgi’s running laps around the mall and Sooyoung’s never thought she’d ever be tired from shopping, but Seulgi is relentless.

 

“Okay, so I know what I’m going to get now.” Seulgi spins around on her heels brightly and Sooyoung has a scowl on her face.

“Are you sure this time?” Sooyoung deadpans.

“Very.”

 

Sooyoung brightens up again when she’s genuinely satisfied with Seulgi’s gift and they’re finally going back to Joohyun’s apartment to help the others set up the surprise party.

 

The dinner table is covered in mountains of gifts for unsuspecting Joohyun who is yet to arrive in fifteen minutes. Seulgi had been pacing around the dinner table— not knowing exactly where to put her gift since putting it near the front is too much and so is putting it at the top, but if she puts it in the back—- what if Joohyun pulls a different trick and decides to open first from the back. 

 

“She’s coming!” Yerim shouts and it hasn’t been fifteen minutes and Seulgi’s ducking into her room and the present is left on her bed. She curses at herself before closing her room door and exiting.

 

“Which one’s your present?” Moonbyul asks as they bump into each other. Seulgi scratches at her neck sheepishly.

“Somewhere there.” She answers nervously.

 

“Joohyun’s going to lose her wits when she finds out Solar came back from the states just for her birthday.” Moonbyul snickers.

Seulgi’s nodding and laughing half heartedly as her focus moves onto somewhere else as she’s facing the door now and she can hear a faint jingling of keys. 

“Lights off!” Sooyoung whispers quickly and everyone begins to hide or crouch to conceal themselves, but everyone is friends with Joohyun so they’re practically visible.

 

The door opens and Seulgi in a breath from behind the sofa.

 

“Hello?” Joohyun calls out.

“Seul? Are you home?” Joohyun calls out again and Seulgi fights the urge to respond. Beside her, Sooyoung’s looking at her with a eating grin and Seulgi blinks.

“What?” She whispers and Sooyoung elbows her with a smile twice as wide.

 

The lights come on and everyone’s jumping and screaming.

 

“Happy birthday!” Everyone shouts and Joohyun jumps and screams too— reminding Seulgi of when they met for the first time.

“What the hell!” Joohyun exclaims with a smile. “What are you all doing here?”
“We wanted to surprise you!” Yerim beams.

“Surprised yet?” Solar creeps up from behind Joohyun. Joohyun whirls around and her jaw drops.

“No ing way - Kim Yongsun!” Joohyun pounces on her best friend immediately and she hugs her tightly.

“What are you doing here?!” Joohyun cries out.

“It’s your birthday.” Yongsun shrugs with a smile.

 

Joohyun’s greeting and hugging everyone and when she’s hugging one of her friends that Seulgi isn’t familiar with— they’re meeting eye to eye from across the room as Seulgi lingers at the kitchen counter where the snacks and drinks are. Seulgi smiles and waves and Joohyun’s smiling softly.

 

Somehow, Seungwan, Sooyoung and Yerim become the ones always at the scene since they’ve somehow drifted towards Seulgi and are now right beside her. Seungwan smiles at her warmly, Yerim grins and so does Sooyoung. Nothing good ensues when the two of them are grinning like there’s no tomorrow.

 

“So.” Yerim begins.

“Hm?” Seulgi turns to them curiously only to be slightly frightened by the way Sooyoung and Yerim are looking at her.

“What do you think of Joohyun-unnie?” Sooyoung asks slyly.

“Oh as a roommate? She’s great - like we live together really well! I never really got to say it, but thanks, Sooyoung - for introducing me to her.” Seulgi says.

“That was really sweet, Seulgi.” Seungwan pats her on the head.

“No - shut up, Seungwan - we’re not talking about being glad for each other-” Sooyoung puts a hand over Seungwan’s face.

“We’re talking about if you want to kiss her and eventually get married and have babies!” Yerim jumps in and Seulgi’s choking on the pringle lodged in .

 

“Look what you did!” Seungwan’s frantically looking for a beverage to help Seulgi wash down the chip, but all she sees on the table is sodas and alcohol, which will definitely not help her wash it down.


The commotion alerts Joohyun and then she’s making her way towards the girls.

 

“What’s going on?” She asks quickly as she finds Seulgi doubled over against the counter with her shoulders shaking up and down.

“Unnie - she’s choking!” Yerim wails.

 

She moves towards the fridge and gets a water bottle quickly before twisting off the cap in one go.

 

“Seul, look at me.” Joohyun taps her and Seulgi turns with her face red as she still coughs.

“Here, drink.” She says, tilting the water to Seulgi’s lips. Seulgi swallows and then suddenly the rigid piece of the pringle chip washes away and she can breathe again.

‘T-thanks.” Seulgi smiles lazily.

“No problem.” Joohyun chuckles as she tucks Seulgi’s loose tousled hair behind her ear.

 

Sooyoung glances sideways and she finds Yerim looking at her too. She glances at Seungwan and she’s also looking at her.

 

“Hey, Joohyun! Try this drink!” Moonbyul calls out to her and then she's whisked away. Seulgi wraps an arm around Seungwan and leans on her.

“So-” Yerim chuckles awkwardly.

“Yeah.” Seulgi grins— her gaze elsewhere.

“What?” Sooyoung blinks and then Seungwan’s nudging her to show her where Seulgi’s looking.

 

Bae Joohyun laughing around her friends and Seulgi’s never found joy so beautiful in another person before until she met the older girl.

 

“I do want to kiss her.” Seulgi says.

 

Seungwan’s jaw drops.

Sooyoung’s eyes widen.

Yerim’s gummy falls from .


 


 

Seulgi’s cleaning up around the apartment after she forcefully sat Joohyun down at the dinner table to open gifts instead of helping to clean— and it really did take an effort to get Joohyun to sit down.

 

Seulgi picks up the last cup before throwing it into the bin and she washes her hands at the kitchen sink. She dries her hands with the kitchen towel and when she turns around, she finds Joohyun standing behind her with her arms folded across her chest.

 

“Oh - uh, hi. Did you open all the presents?” Seulgi asks.

“No. I’m missing one.” Joohyun pouts and Seulgi really hasn’t gotten the clue yet.

“Oh, did you need help finding it?” Seulgi asks and Joohyun just stands and looks at her blankly.

“…do you need help finding it?” Joohyun asks her and Seulgi blinks.

 

Seulgi blinks and Joohyun blinks before the latter finally gives up on beating around the bush.

 

“Joy said you had a really, really nice present for me - she told me to anticipate it but it wasn’t at the dinner table with the other gifts.” Joohyun blurts with a blush.

“Oh! Oh!” Seulgi begins to move into action as if a genuine light bulb had lit up in her mind— and then she’s linking their hands together and pulling Joohyun to her room.

“I almost forgot about it!” Seulgi curses at herself.

 

Joohyun haphazardly navigates her way as she follows Seulgi and then there’s a wrapped present in the shape of a rabbit plush.

 

Joohyun snorts when she sees the pristine wrapping around the rabbit.

 

“I wonder what this could be?” Joohyun hums and Seulgi rolls her eyes as she nudges her.

“Open it.” Seulgi grins.

 

Seulgi grins until her cheeks hurt as she watches Joohyun pull apart the paper to reveal a miffy plush and Joohyun hugs it to her chest.

 

“I love it, Seul. Seriously, thank you.” Joohyun smiles fondly at the plush then back at Seulgi.

“You’re missing something.” Seulgi gestures with her eyes to the plush. Joohyun holds it away from her until she sees something gold dangling from the miffy’s neck.

“Seulgi…” Joohyun’s eyes as she gasps.

 

Seulgi’s grin only intensifies tenfold as Joohyun takes the necklace into her hands as she places the plush aside on Seulgi’s bed.

 

The gold necklace is dainty and cold at the touch and when Joohyun flips the small pendant over, it is an image of a goddess embossed— and she can’t help but chuckle at it.

 

“Eirene? Why?” Joohyun asks Seulgi with a  smile. Seulgi shrugs and takes the necklace from Joohyun’s hands.

“Well, Seungwan once said you were the goddess of peace and I find it fitting”, Seulgi tells her shyly. “and… the peace I feel has never been disturbed by you. You make it more peaceful - if anything..” 

 

Joohyun stands in front of Seulgi’s body length mirror and watches as Seulgi swiftly moves behind her to put the necklace on Joohyun. She sweeps her hair over her shoulder and Seulgi clasps the necklace until it sits gently on top of Joohyun’s collarbones. Joohyun looks up and finds Seulgi looking at her in the mirror’s reflection and she her dry lips. Seulgi’s eyes flit towards the action and then they’re moving back up again to look Joohyun in the eye again.

 

“It looks beautiful on you.” Seulgi says— voice quietly hoarse.

“No wonder. You picked it out for me.” Joohyun says just as quietly. 

“Though, I doubt anyone would look as beautiful as you wearing a simple necklace, Joohyun.” Seulgi humours and Joohyun chuckles as she turns to her side to face Seulgi— and then another dilemma appears when they’re only centimetres apart and Joohyun can’t really tear her eyes away from Seulgi’s face, and Seulgi can’t look away from Joohyun’s lips.

 

Seulgi finds that it is horrible timing to kiss someone on their birthday because it kind of feels like you’re stealing their thunder or maybe that’s just Seulgi— and it’s Joohyun for god’s sake, who took her in and made her fruit boxes, who sleeps in complete darkness, who makes her feel like she’s the only artist in the entire world, who kisses her on the cheek for New Years, who bakes cupcakes, who rescues her from choking, and who smiles and is grateful just for a rabbit plush.

 

So she aborts those thoughts immediately.

 

“I guess it’s past your bedtime, miss-birthday-girl?” Seulgi clicks her tongue.

“I guess it is.” Seulgi does not comment on how dejected Joohyun suddenly becomes.

“Good night, Joohyun.” Seulgi swallows.

“Night, Seul…” Joohyun smiles tightly before exiting Seulgi’s room with rabbit plush in hand.

 

Seulgi watches her go and she finds her thought process about aborting her thoughts about wanting to kiss Joohyun grows futile when she’s following Joohyun out of her own room. 

 

“Screw it.” She mutters before opening Joohyun’s door without warning.

 

Joohyun turns around sharply and she finds Seulgi coming towards her.

“What-”

 

Her back hits the wall and Seulgi’s invading all of her as she kisses her firmly. Joohyun squirms and she gasps for air as Seulgi presses herself against Joohyun. Joohyun wraps her arms around Seulgi’s neck and then she’s being hoisted up to wrap her legs around Seulgi’s waist, and their lips never separate as they continue in a fury of lust and pure pining.

 

Seulgi backtracks and she holds onto Joohyun firmly as she settles down on Joohyun’s bed and Joohyun straddles Seulgi. A warmth spreads all over Joohyun and it immediately engulfs Seulgi as they kiss. Joohyun’s fingers weave themselves into Seulgi’s fragrant hair, and Seulgi’s hand crawls up Joohyun’s back as she caresses the warm unblemished skin.

 

Joohyun pulls away with a smile as she leans her head against Seulgi’s. Seulgi in a deep breath as she looks up at Joohyun.

“You have no idea how long I’ve been wanting to kiss you.” Seulgi says breathlessly.

“Took you long enough.” Joohyun grins.

 

They ensue in more kissing activities.


 


 

“So…” Sooyoung nudges her left side in class.

“So…” Seungwan nudges her from the right.

“What?” Seulgi grins.

“You’re so smiley nowadays! More than usual, Bear.” Sooyoung says.

“Did something happen with Joohyun-unnie?” Seungwan asks with a wide smile.

 

Seulgi shrugs mysteriously and begins to pack away her laptop and her belongings into her bag.

 

“Yah, Kang Seulgi.” Sooyoung warns. Seulgi smiles as she swings her bag over her shoulder and stands up as people begin to shuffle out of the last class before break. Seulgi has Sooyoung and Seungwan scrambling to pack up their things and to follow the girl to press for more information.

 

“Seulgi! You can’t run from us!” Sooyoung shouts from down the hall. Just as Sooyoung shouts, Yerim comes out of her lecture hall.

“What’s going on?” She asks.

“Stop Seulgi! Something happened between her and Joohyun-unnie and she’s being a little and not saying anything!” Sooyoung tells her. Yerim reaches out her hand to grab Seulgi, but she just misses.

“Hey! Tell us!” Yerim calls out.

“Come on! Joohyun-unnie is our unnie and you’re our friend!” Seungwan whines.

 

Seulgi laughs before turning on her heel to face her friends.

 

“Okay, okay. I’ll tell you.” Seulgi sighs with a smile.

 

The three of them are on their toes as they wait for Seulgi to say something and they pray it isn’t something hopeless and meaningless.

 

Seulgi in a breath and she grins widely. “I kissed her.” 

 

“You what!” Seungwan’s jaw drops.

“Say that again!” Yerim’s eyes widen.

“Holy , KangSeul!” Sooyoung is in disbelief. 


 


 

It had soon become a habit for Seulgi to sleep in Joohyun’s room more often since Seulgi was on break and Joohyun usually worked from home— and it also helped that everything over in Joohyun’s room was so much more softer and nicer. Seulgi’s room was always a  bit messy and stained with paint, so being in Joohyun’s room is a nice change of scenery. However on some nights, Joohyun chooses to sleep in Seulgi’s room since it’s more homey.

 

Joohyun lies on her back on her bed just after finishing a page of her writing and Seulgi cheers as she had been just laying on Joohyun’s bed and watching her work.

 

“All done?” Seulgi asks as she brushes Joohyun’s stray hairs away from her face. 

“All done.” Joohyun nods and Seulgi leans down to kiss her gently. Joohyun whines and shakes her head lightly. Seulgi chuckles at Joohyun’s antics.

“Good kiss.” Joohyun says and Seulgi smiles— and truly, it was a good kiss because as Seulgi pulls away and Joohyun’s eyes flutter gently, Joohyun does not register that Seulgi’s staring at her fondly.

 

“What?” Joohyun asks with a grin.

“Nothing. Just - you have a beautiful smile.” Seulgi says and Joohyun finds her cheeks warming as her smile grows wider.

“Do I, now?” Joohyun chuckles.

“You do. I find it especially beautiful when you smile and your canines gently graze your bottom lip, and your eyes crinkle - and I find it hard not to stare.” Seulgi says softly and Joohyun blinks, thoroughly stunned.

“And I thought I was the writer here. Are you a secret poet, Kang Seulgi?” Joohyun raises her brow and then Seulgi’s leaning down until the tip of her nose is brushing against Joohyun’s— and she’s saying it gently like a whispered secret with hazy eyes:

“No. I am just in love.”


 


 

The next day, Seulgi wakes up with the blanket on the floor and Joohyun was practically laying on top of her. 

 

Seulgi wriggles and it wakes Joohyun up. Seulgi clears as she tidies Joohyuns hair.

 

“Morning, my love.” Seulgi says hoarsely.

“Mornin’.” Joohyun hums as she curls away in Seulgi’s neck.

“Wanna do something today?” Seulgi asks.

“..What day is it?” Joohyun asks.

“Saturday.” Seulgi answers. “Do you have any writing to do today?”

“Nope. I finished yesterday, I’m free all week.” Joohyun says with a smile.

“Seriously?” Seulgi asks bashfully.

“Seriously.” Joohyun nods.

 

Seulgi hugs Joohyun tightly and then she’s trapping her in her legs as she rolls them around.

 

“I have you all to myself!” Seulgi squeals.

“Seul!” Joohyun giggles. 

 

They get up and they brush their teeth side by side in the small sink and Seulgi bumps Joohyun’s hips on purpose until the older of them is fed up and flicks water at Seulgi.

 

They have a small breakfast as Joohyun whips up some pancakes and Seulgi cuts some fruits for them.

 

They sit down across from each other and Seulgi sneaks glances at Joohyun from over the rim of her mug. Joohyun smiles and chuckles as she watches Seulgi’s wonderful unsubtle antics. 

 

Seulgi clears the dishes and Joohyun leans on the other side of the sink as she watches Seulgi fondly.

 

“Wanna go to the aquarium?” Joohyun proposes.

Seulgi dries her hands and she turns to Joohyun with a smile. “I would love to.”


 


 

“Seulgi, look there’s penguins! Ohmygosh!” Joohyun squeals delightfully as she drags along Seulgi.

“And I thought you were afraid of all the animals in the world.” Seulgi chuckles.

“They’re behind glass!” Joohyun defends herself and Seulgi laughs.

 

“Quick take a picture of me and the penguins!” Joohyun shoves her phone into Seulgi’s hand and she’s pushing the younger girl further. Seulgi shakes her head amusedly as she obeys Joohyun. 

“One, two, three!” 


 

They come along to the section of the rays and Joohyun immediately begins to walk painfully slower as Seulgi tugs on her.

 

“C’mon!” Seulgi whines as she drags Joohyun along.

“I am!” Joohyun squeaks.

 

Seulgi doesn’t hesitate to roll up her sleeve and put her hand into the cownose ray enclosure and she pets one of them. Another swims and glides across her hand and she giggles in delight. Joohyun stands right behind Seulgi as she watches in horror.

 

“Touch it! They feel so weird but nice!” Seulgi grabs Joohyun’s hand, but Joohyun pulls away.

“I-I can’t!” Joohyun winces.

“Why? What’s wrong?” Seulgi looks at her with worry.

“I’m… I’m scared.” Joohyun confesses quietly.

 

She expects Seulgi to laugh at her, but she doesn’t and she sees Seulgi looking at her tenderly.

 

“That’s okay! I would be scared too, but this one’s small and very docile. If I hold your hand and we both touch it, will you be okay?” Seulgi suggests gently and Joohyun shakes her head.

“Okay… how about you take a picture of me with them and then we can move on to the dugongs?” Seulgi says with a gentle smile and Joohyun brightens up again.

“Okay, I like the sound of that much better.” Joohyun breathes a sigh of relief before taking out her phone.

 

Seulgi crouches close to the tank and with impeccable timing, one of the rays swims up against the glass— photobombing Seulgi’s picture.

“Say cheese!” 


 

They’re walking hand in hand down towards the dugong enclosure and Joohyun had been holding her phone and giggling to herself.

 

“What’s so funny?” Seulgi leans over curiously only to find the photo of her and the cownose ray behind her.

“Don’t you look a bit like the ray, Seul?” Joohyun giggles as she shows the phone to Seulgi.

 

Seulgi blinks, and then Joohyun flits her eyes towards Seulgi and then back to the ray— she bursts into laughter. Joohyun’s loud laughter rings throughout the aquarium and she moves them further away from the looks of strangers, but Joohyun’s laughter does not bother her at all because in fact, Seulgi’s come to discover it is one of her favourite melodies to hear.


 


 

Joohyun returns home happy with one arm linked with Seulgi’s as she snuggles against her shoulder, and the other arm around a large dugong plush Seulgi had gotten for her.

 

“Thank you for today.” Joohyun says shyly.

“Thank you for today”, Seulgi grins. “I don’t think I would’ve thought about going to the aquarium if it weren't for you.”

“Perks of dating the Bae Joohyun.” Joohyun sways her hair and it hits Seulgi's nose.

“Yah - that hurt!” Seulgi chortles and Joohyun disentangles herself from Seulgi as she begins to run away. 

“You’re being dramatic!” Joohyun sing-songs as she skips away.

“Bae Joohyun, I’ll have you know I did track and field in high school!” Seulgi says before chasing down Joohyun.

 

Joohyun turns back and finds Seulgi right behind her.

 

“Oh my god!” Joohyun screams as she braces for impact, but Seulgi knows when to stop, so when she does; she hugs Joohyun tightly.

“Caught you.” Seulgi grins.

“Y-you definitely did.” Joohyun shudders as her heart thumps from the adrenaline.

“Let’s walk home now, please? I’d much prefer to not run.” Seulgi chuckles and Joohyun smiles sheepishly.

“I’d prefer it too.” Joohyun says.

 

Seulgi leans forward and kisses Joohyun chastely.

 

“Let’s go?” Seulgi grabs hold of Joohyun’s hand again.

“Let’s go.” Joohyun nods.

 

Seulgi holds Joohyun’s hand home— occasionally swinging them back and forth. She kisses Joohyun in between, and twirls Joohyun around under the streetlights as they make their way home.

 

“What do you think we should do tomorrow?” Seulgi asks as they begin to walk up the stairs.

“Already thinking of tomorrow, Seul?” Joohyun laughs. “Relax, I’m not running away or anything.”
“Yeah - but this is the first time I get you all to myself!” Seulgi whines as they begin to walk on their floor.

“Okay - okay!” Joohyun giggles. “How about we have a nice dinner tomorrow?”

“Omo - are you treating, unnie~?” Seulgi says cutely.

“Yah!” Joohyun elbows her and Seulgi laughs.

“It sounds perfect, Joohyun-ah.” Seulgi wraps her arm around Joohyun’s waist.

“Okay. It’s a date.” Joohyun nods as she unlocks the door with Seulgi still wrapped around her.


 


 

“Oh.. I haven’t done that.” Seulgi blinks.

“You what!?”

“Dude!”

 

Seungwan and Sooyoung had whisked her away in the morning because they hadn’t seen each other lately because of the lack of school (and not because they wanted more information about Joohyun and Seulgi).

 

Joohyun had also gone ahead to hang out with Yerim.

 

Seulgi just also had to find herself in a dilemma where she just learnt she never actually officially asked Joohyun to be her girlfriend— even after living together, sleeping beside each other, kissing— kissing a lot, and just overall doing couple things.

 

“B-but I didn’t know she liked those kinds of things!” Seulgi stammers.

“Seulgi, she’s a writer for god’s sake.” Sooyoung deadpans.

“Look! I know how we can solve this!” Seungwan exclaims. “You’re going on a dinner date tonight, right?”

“Uh - yeah.” Seulgi nods.

“Great, there’s our plan!”

 

Joohyun’s chatting with Yerim at their usual café after the younger one begged Joohyun to come out and buy her food, and Joohyun caved because sometimes, Yerim is cute to her.

 

Her phone rings and buzzes and she looks at her screen to see it is Seulgi calling her.

 

“Hey, Seul.” Joohyun answers and Yerim gags mockingly at her unnie’s sweet tone.

“Hey, Hyun!” Joohyun finds Seulgi’s voice abnormally high-pitched but she doesn’t question it.

“What’s up, how come you’re calling?” She asks.

“Just - uh, about the dinner date tonight-”

“Don’t tell me you’re cancelling?” Joohyun butts in.
“Hyun let me finish,” Seulgi laughs into the phone and Joohyun smiles. “I was just going to say if it was okay if I planned the date.”

“Of course it’s okay! Why - are you planning on proposing?” Joohyun teases.

“If you want.” Seulgi teases back.

“Ha-ha.” Joohyun chuckles. “I’ll see you tonight.”

“Bye!”

 

Joohyun puts the phone down and returns back to Yerim.

 

“Why’d she call?” She asks.

“She just asked if she could plan the dinner date tonight.” Joohyun explains.

“Sounds like she’s proposing.” Yerim quips as she sips on her drink.

 

Joohyun blinks— so she wasn’t the only one thinking of that.

 

“You don’t think she actually would… right?” Joohyun frowns.

“You never know with Seulgi-unnie. She’s quite spontaneous - like when she first moved in with you.” Yerim says. “She was going to go back to her parents, but Sooyoung mentioned that you lived alone and then Sooyoung set the plan off in motion.”

“Seriously?” Joohyun says, a bit surprised.

“Yeah. Sooyoung showed her your instagram and other pictures.” Yerim tells her. “I think she already liked you - or your face by then.” 

“Oh.” Joohyun blushes.

“Don’t get all shy now - I bet you’ve shagged each other already.” Yerim snorts.

“Yah! Kim Yerim!”


 

“I can’t do it!” Seulgi groans.

“Come on! You sing and you know how to play the guitar! It’s the best way!” Seungwan tells her.

“But I’ve never sang in front of someone before!” Seulgi whines.

“It’s Joohyun-unnie - oh my gosh! She’d fall in more love with you just by seeing you hold a guitar!” Sooyoung says.

“Exactly!” Seungwan says.

“Okay - okay! Fine…” Seulgi grumbles, feeling anxious about the date she planned.

 

“One more thing.” Sooyoung leans forward.

“What now?” Seulgi whimpers.

“We’re dressing you. To the mall!” 


 

Joohyun gets ready, wearing a simple dress and a cardigan over it and she pairs it with her white shoes. She styles her hair neatly in soft curls and she clips it half up-half down. She checks the wall clock and still finds it odd that Seulgi hadn’t returned home at all, but a message to her phone answers her questioning.

 

Seul <3 - Come downstairs (^v^)

 

Joohyun goes towards her window and she finds Seulgi leaning up against a car. She quickly puts on her bag and trudges downstairs.

 

“You drive?” Is the first thing Joohyun says.

“Wow - hello too, and yes I do drive.” Seulgi chuckles as she pulls Joohyun in for a quick kiss.

“Is it yours?” She asks.

“It’s a rental.” Seulgi answers. “I do have a car, but my parents use it, so that’s why we don’t see it often.”

“Makes sense.” Joohyun nods.

 

Joohyun looks Seulgi up and down.

 

“Kind of don’t want to go on the date now.” She sighs.
“What - why?” Seulgi blinks.

“Because you look so dashing in this white dress-shirt and I don’t want anyone else to see.” Joohyun grins and Seulgi rolls her eyes.

 

Sooyoung and Seungwan had dressed Seulgi in an all white attire and had her cut her hair too.

 

“You cut your hair shorter.” Joohyun states.

“I did.” Seulgi smiles. “Do you like it?” 

Joohyun unconsciously brings a hand to play with Seulgi's freshly cut hair.

“I love it. You look beautiful.” Joohyun says.

“Thank you.” Seulgi beams.

 

Seulgi opens the door to Joohyun’s seat.

 

“Come on, before we’re late.” She says and Joohyun sits down.

Seulgi joins beside her and she starts the car. From the corner of her eye, she sees Joohyun holding her phone and then the flash goes off.

“What was that for?” Seulgi asks and Joohyun only grins bashfully.

“Just for keepsakes.” She shrugs.

“Okay then.” Seulgi chuckles before beginning the drive.


 


 

The dinner all goes smoothly and Seungwan and Sooyoung had advised her to sing the song at the restaurant at the terrace seat just like she had requested, but with all the people around, her nerves begin to get the best of her, so she doesn’t bring out her guitar and she just enjoys the dinner with Joohyun.

 

“I never knew there were good restaurants here.” Joohyun says as she finishes eating.

“Maybe it’s just good company.” Seulgi says slyly.

“Oh you wish.” Joohyun teases with a laugh.

 

It is then a good fight between them for who can pay the bill and Seulgi’s justification was that she planned the date so she should pay, but then Joohyun’s argument was that she was simply older and had to pay. Seulgi still ended up paying when they played card roulette with the employee there and she won against Joohyun.

 

Joohyun was sulky in the car.

 

“C’mon, I’ll take you somewhere nice and then you won’t be sulky.” Seulgi pokes her in the car.

“Where?” Joohyun asks.

“Somewhere nice.” Seulgi shrugs mysteriously before she begins to drive again.

 

The drive is not far and they end up at a field clearing where all the stars begin to shine brightly.

 

“What are we doing?” Joohyun asks curiously although she still gets out of the car. Seulgi doesn't say anything and only opens the back of the car which has a nice blanket and pillow set up for Joohyun to sit. She ushers for the older woman to sit and then she goes to the backseat to grab her guitar.

 

“Oh wow - how come I didn’t notice that.” Joohyun blinks in confusion when Seulgi holds a guitar. Seulgi puts the guitar strap over her head to her shoulder and she adjusts her grip on the guitar; Joohyun’s heart flutters.

 

“Bae Joohyun.” Seulgi smiles.

“Yes?” joohyun plays along as she swings her legs gently as she sits above ground.

“Ever since I had met you, I felt all funny and forgot how to function in front of someone so beautiful.” Seulgi speaks. “I met you and instantly felt a connection I had never felt before - and I knew you were someone I wanted in my life for as long as possible.”
 

Joohyun blushes as she takes Seulgi’s words.

 

“I have been fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of your affection - which I had never anticipated would happen in my life, but it is truly a gift to me.” Seulgi says softly. “I want to show you how much you mean to me, Hyun.”

 

Seulgi begins to pluck a melody.

 

There I was, an empty piece of a shell

Just minding my own world

Without even knowing what love and life were all about

Then you came

You brought me out of the shell

You gave the world to me

And before I knew

There I was, so in love with you

You gave me a reason for my being

And I love what I'm feeling

You gave me a meaning to my life

Yes, I've gone beyond existing

And it all began when I met you

I love the touch of your hair

And when I look in your eyes

I just know, I know I'm onto something good

And I'm sure, my love for you will endure

Your love will light up my world

And take all my cares away where they can't bother me

You gave me a reason for my being

And I love what I'm feeling

You gave me a meaning to my life

Yes, I've gone beyond existing 

And it all began when I met you…

 

Seulgi finishes the song.

 

“Will you take me as your girlfriend, Bae Joohyun?” Seulgi smiles and Seulgi doesn’t receive an audible answer— instead, Joohyun is wrapped around her in an intimate kiss.

“Yes.” Joohyun grins and Seulgi puts her guitar down and picks up Joohyun in her arms as she spins them around.

 

Joohyun’s laugh fills Seulgi’s heart with warmth like no other, and Seulgi cannot wait to spend the rest of her life— simply being with Joohyun.

 

Seulgi lets Joohyun down gently and they do not separate as Joohyun still has her arms wrapped around Seulgi’s neck. Joohyun leans in until her nose is brushing up against Seulgi’s and she’s smiling as she looks into Seulgi’s eyes, dazed.

 

“I love you.” Joohyun utters against Seulgi’s lips.

“I love you.” Seulgi seals it with a kiss.

 

 



 

Joohyun wakes up early and pats the side of her bed only to not find Seulgi there. She sits up with a frown and goes to reach for her phone, but she finds a purple sticky note from her pencil case stuck to her phone.

 

She smiles when she reads it.



 

Went to get breakfast for us !

 

P.S

I love you

 

- Seulgi (girlfriend)