Catalyst

Catnip
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s the same each day. It never changes and she likes this routine of hers.

 

Going to school daily, attending classes timely and then heading back home just to do the same whole routine all over again the next day. She likes knowing that she reaches school on time at 7am every morning. She likes knowing that she will be getting high grades for her exams after having spent so much of her time studying daily. Heck, she even likes having the same side dishes for dinner.

 

What she doesn’t like, she realizes, although it did take some time for her to acknowledge this, is perhaps the sudden change in this system of hers. Because now she reaches school later than usual, can’t seem to focus entirely in class and ponders over which side dish would be suitable.

 

For whom you ask? Oh yes, the reason for this change, you mean?

 

To address this, you need to ask her best friend, the very epitome of a human sunshine for being the contributing factor to this unexpected outcome.

 

“I managed to speak to her today and I’m telling you, she is so friendly, can she be anymore perfect?”

 

The human sunshine also known as her best friend says quickly as she fawns over the object of her affection for the past two months. It’s Physical Education period, which is perhaps her best friend’s favourite class because well, said object affection will be here soon to practice for the upcoming game. Of course, Haerin only knows this because her best friend fangirls over the girl every Tuesday morning.

 

“I think I’ve heard this enough to know she is in no way flawed, at least in your eyes, of course.”

 

She replies nonchalantly, ignoring her best friend as she casually takes a skipping rope from the box. Her best friend does the same but it doesn’t stop her from continuing her argument, not that there was any to begin.

 

“You mean everyone’s eyes, unless they are blind of course! Well, you know, I’ve yet to have anyone else disagree with me.”

 

“For starters, I’m your only friend.”


”Ah, look! Here she comes!”

 

Her best friend interrupts her, holding onto her arms with a wide grin on her face, eyes fully focused on the basketball team members entering the gymnasium. Haerin averts her eyes over to where her best friend is looking and briefly shares an eye contact with the one person she has been hearing all sorts of things about for the past sixty days. She takes in the person’s facial features as if it was the first time she’s seeing them and quickly looks away, trying her very best to look uninterested. She hopes it works. Okay, now go to your game like you always do.

 

To her dismay, her best friend has decided to say hi to said person in question from over a mile away with her loud booming voice. Haerin briefly looks back to the front to find said person already standing in front of them with that ridiculously bewitching eye smile directed at them, wait no, not them, at her best friend.

 

“Minji-sunbae, do you remember me? We met at the fair yesterday, I’m Hanni-sunbae’s friend.”

 

Her best friend says out loudly, face forming the brightest expression Haerin has ever seen in her life, it honestly feels a little bit like staring into the bright sun on a hot summer’s day.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter