Fin.

Wish You Were Sober

Real sweet, but I wish you were sober.

"Don't leave..." "Sorry, Steph."

 


 

A house that reeked of alcohol, music blasting through bluetooth speakers, and teenagers with raging hormones; nothing but your typical college frat party. Isolating herself in a random corner, a girl with honey blonde hair swished the drink in her cup. Jessica Jung Sooyeon, widely known as the 'Campus Ice Princess'. No one could approach herlet alone even starewithout being given that icy stare that melted your soul in all the wrong ways. She scoffed, she wondered how the people around her could enjoy such an alcoholic combination when it tasted like feet. Her eyes wandered her surroundings, she couldn't go a second without seeing people making out. 'Ugh, get a room.'

But her thoughts were soon cut off when she heard a certain raven-haired girl yell her name, "JESSI!" 'Jessi' turned her head to the source of the voice and saw her best friend since freshman year, the only girl who looked past her cold exterior and befriended her. Stephanie Hwang Miyoung, everyone's sunshine girl. Majority of people on campus called her 'Tiffany' since she preffered to be called that way, she became known on campus after becoming the girlfriend of the star player in their university's football team who she eventually broke up with after catching him in bed with another woman. Jessica always saw him as bad news, so she was over the moon when word got around that the football team's star player was a cheating dirtbag; that and the fact that she was in love with her best friend... oops.

"Steph, how much did you drink?" Jessica asked, her eyebrows furrowed as Tiffany hugged her figure. The latter pulled away and smiled, her eyes turning into crescent moons. "Only this much!" She giggled, showing her pointer finger and thumb pinched together. Jessica raised her eyebrows knowingly, "Uhuh, times a hundred?" Tiffany burst out in laughter. "I thought you wouldn't come?" "Yeah, well, I couldn't risk 'you-know-who' trying to get back with you again."

This time, it was the latter's turn to scoff. "Tch, as if I'll even let him get close without spilling my drink on him." Jessica nodded as she rolled her eyes playfully, she held Tiffany by her arms when she saw the girl starting to lose balance, "Yeah? Well, you look you're gonna spill that drink on me seeing how you're so drunk, you can't even stand right." She smiled again, capturing the blonde in a bear hug. "You take care of me so well. If we weren't best friends, I would SO date you."

Her words made Jessica stiffen up. It was always like this, Tiffany gets drunk and says things Jessica knows she doesn't mean. It hurts to be Tiffany's best friend at times like this because it slowly breaks Jessica's heart. Not that she didn't appreciate it, a part of her did, but sometimes she can't help but wish to hear those words out of the mouth of her sober best friend.

"You smell nice tonight, Jessi." Tiffany complimented, sniffing Jessica's neck where the girl would usually spray her perfume. "Don't I always, Steph?" Jessica joked, followed by the raven-haired girl slapping her back lightly, she snickered at the action. As Tiffany rested her head on Jessica's shoulderfacing her neckthe blonde s her arms around the girl's torso. "Thank you for being my best friend, Jessi." "Well, you looked past my iness; so it's all you, Steph."

"Tiffany!" A manly voice called out, making Tiffany part from the latter and turn to the voice. Weirdly enough, Jessica already missed her warmth. "Yes?" "I don't like my drink, can we trade?" As clueless as she was, Tiffany nodded, not seeing the guy smirk when she did 'cause she was busy looking down at her own drink to see its content. But Jessica saw him, she glanced at his cup and saw it fizzing. 'This ...' She thought to herself. But as soon as she saw Tiffany's vacant hand extend out for the drink, she grabbed it abruptly. "No!" Jessica exclaimed, receiving a confused look from one of them and an irritated one from the other. "What's wrong, Jessi?"

"Just get another one, dude. Her cup is almost empty anyway." She said, not even bothering to look at Tiffany since she was too busy giving the guy the same, icy stare. "But this is new-" "Shh, you're drunk, you don't know what you're saying, Steph." Jessica shushed her, speaking both the truth and the opposite; sure, Tiffany really was drunk, but her cup really was new from the table. "Tch, fine." The guy frowned and walked away, Jessica resisting the urge to punch him where the sun didn't shine. "Why'd you do that?" Tiffany pouted, she was angry but appeared as cute to Jessica anyway. "I don't like him, don't object. Can we go home? You're getting too drunk."

 


 

Of course, Tiffany complied with Jessica's request; they got into her rover that was gifted to her on her 18th birthday, but she handed the keys to the blonde since she was too intoxicated to drive. When they were seated in the car with Jessica in the driver's seat, the girl turned to Tiffany. "Steph, put on your seatbelt." "No, it's uncomfy!" Jessica rolled her eyes at the remark and leaned over to do it for her, but Tiffany quickly reclined her seat to avoid the action. The latter looked at the younger girl irritatedly, "Steph, please cooperate with me. Don't you want to hug your Totoro plush to sleep?" Tiffany nodded at the question. "See? So please just let me put your seatbelt on." The raven-haired girl nodded and got up, pulling the lever to make the seat go back to its original position. "Thank you," Jessica sighed, finally secured Tiffany's seatbelt despite the close proximity of their faces. But shock rushed through her yet again when she felt a pair of lips on her cheeks. Tiffany giggled, "Sorry, your cheeks were too tempting."

'You keep doing things you wouldn't do if you were sober. Please, stop it.'

 


 

Upon arrival at Tiffany's apartment buildingthe girl lived off-campus starting sophomore year because she didn't really enjoy living in dormitories during her first yearJessica had to find a parking spot near the building since Tiffany lost the card that accessed the entrance of the indoor parking lot... again. Once she set the gear stick to 'park', she got out of the car and headed to the other door to help drunken Tiffany. She let the girl stand on her own on the side of the road while she locked the car, but soon regretted her decision when she saw Tiffany almost plummet to the concrete ground if she hadn't caught her in time.

They walked to the building with Jessica supporting Tiffany by holding her by her waist and wrapping Tiffany's left arm around her shoulders. On the way, the girl would slur random words like 'geonbae' which meant 'cheers' in Korean. At one point, she said "But I don't wanna clean dog poop!" which made Jessica giggle. When they stepped inside, Jessica nodded at the female receptionist; they familiarized with each other since Jessica would aways come over to Tiffany's place. Whether it be for picking her up, dropping her off, having study sessions, or for no reason at all.

They got in the elevator then Jessica pressed the button that said '5' as she still held Tiffany the same way. Tiffany frowned, her face not going unnoticed by Jessica. "What?" "You like that receptionist, don't you?" Jessica's eyes widened, where did that come from? "No, what do you mean?" "You smILED AT HER!" The volume of Tifanny's voice changed constantly, alongside random gestures like raising her pointer finger in the air and shaking her head. "Steph, I don't like her." 'I like you.'

Tiffany turned to her with a smile, "Good, you should only like me." If the girl wasn't drunk, Jessica would've thought she was bipolar. But she was, and Jessica was regretting being with drunken Tiffany even more. If she could just learn to handle herself when she's drunk, or drink less, the blonde wouldn't have to get sad every time. Jessica wasn't a big drinker, she was more of a red wine person, so she preferred skipping frat parties or any other student-organized event that involved alcohol and beer pong.

The two heard a ding and the elevator doors opened, they made their way out and towards room 515. "We're here, can I go now?" Tiffany glared at her. "Aish!" Jessica always wondered why Tiffany would let out random Korean exclamations when she was drunk even though they were in and grew up in America. Maybe she watched too much Korean Dramas. 'Ugh, business majors and their amount of free time.'

"What?" "Don't go yet, come inside."

Jessica clicked her tongue, "Steph, give me one good reason I shouldn't go home after helping your drunk the entire night. Do I not deserve peace, quiet, and I don't know... SLEEP?" Tiffany frowned but she couldn't let Jessica walk away, she couldn't let her without getting a taste of her lips. The raven-haired girl grabbed ahold of the latter's wrist and pulled her close, encapturing her soft lips into a tender kiss. Jessica's eyes were about the size of gumballs now, feeling how Tiffany wrapped her arms around her neck, making the blonde's arms instinctively slither around her back.

Their lips moving to the beat of their hearts, Jessica was the first to pull away. She'd always wanted to feel that, but she wasn't going to take advantage of her best friend's drunken state; no, she cared too much. Tiffany rested her forehead on the latter's, whispering with her alcohol-stained breath, "Just stay over even just for a little while... please." 

 


 

Jessica didn't know she got into this situation, but there she was, on the edge of Tiffany's bed, watching as the younger girl murmured about random things before slowly falling asleep. She heaved a deep sigh, Tiffany looked so peaceful in her sleep. How could such a nice girl hurt her like this? She didn't know she hurt Jessica every time she was drunk, thus not being able to feel sorry about it either. "I love you, Stephanie..." Jessica whispered as she reached out to caress the girl's cheek.

After a short while, she got up and made her way to the door. But before she could even turn the knob, Tiffany spoke up. "Don't leave..." She wasn't asleep? "Sorry, Steph." Jessica apologized, though she felt she was the one who deserved an apology. "I love you too..." The blonde felt tears brim in her eyes when she heard those three, simple words. Her heart told her to do something, but her mind told her to leave or she'll only get hurt. "Gotta bounce," Jessica followed logic over emotion like she always did when Tiffany was drunk and walked out the door. Wiping the tears that escaped from her eyes.

'Real sweet, but I wish you were sober.'

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The next day came, Jessica was waiting at the lobby of Tiffany's apartment as usual so they could go to school together. Her neighborhood was only a taxi drive away, she could simply just go ahead and go to the university without Tiffany but it was their routine to do so. She decided to forget about the moments of last night as Tiffany probably did the same; though it was not her intention, she couldn't remember anything from previously at the times she got drunk.

"Jessi!" Hey, Steph~"

"Let's go?" Tiffany reached a hand out which Jessica gladly held. As she intwertwined her hand with the blonde's, Tiffany smiled. "Sorry for taking a bit longer today, the aspirin took longer to kick in." Jessica chuckled and shook her head, "Oh shush, don't you think I'm used to it by now?"

Little did they know, both of their hearts were beating rapidly at the same time. Jessica always wanted Tiffany to be sober when she said things when she was drunk, because she knew her words would be true in that way. But what she failed to consider was that a drunk mind speaks a sober heart. Tiffany always loved Jessica as well, but it was difficult to express that when she was sober because fear would take over her; unlike when was intoxicated with alcohol, she was fearless.

Words were left unsaid like they always were, that was just the reality for them.

 


 

A/N: i suddenly got super obsessed with conan gray's song "wish you were sober" hehe (wrote this at 2am so i apologize for mistakes)