-fin-

Birthday Shu

"I'm gonna marry you one day." It was a sentence Miyeon had heard from the younger woman many times over the years. "I'm gonna marry you one day just watch." Miyeon always thought the younger girl was just being silly until one at Miyeon's graduation when the younger woman pulled her close and kissed her in front of all their friends. They'd shared small kisses before that in private but never anything serious til now. "You're not allowed to date anyone while you're away. We're gonna get married remember?" Miyeon smiled and nodded along with her. "I'll wait don't worry." She can still remember the confident smile Shuhua wore as she insisted she wasn't worried. She would still say to this day she wasn't worried but the grip she had on the older woman's graduation gown said otherwise.  

 

Her university wasn't far away but enough that it was hard to visit often. The period they spent apart was hard for both of them but as she said Miyeon never dated anyone. Her loyalty never lessened. Shuhua said she could pinpoint the exact moment that she knew Miyeon was serious about her too. It wasn't hard though as she remembered that certain night after her first uni party. Shuhua heard her phone ringing and opened her eyes to see Miyeon's name flashing across her screen. She answered the video call only to hear the older woman crying. Even though the woman was apologizing and blaming herself for something she couldn't control she couldn't help but smile. "It's fine I'll let you off just this once. At least now that you've kissed someone else you'll know that I'm the best." 

 

A few years passed and even when they had ups and downs the couple stayed strong together. When asked about their anniversary Shuhua always insisted it was the day she met Miyeon as a child. "I knew I was gonna marry her." She'd say proudly as her arm tightened around the older woman's waist. After their wedding they started trying to have a baby. A few rounds of unsuccessful IVF took a toll on them. They began to believe it just wouldn't happen for them. "It's okay angel well try again." Shuhua shook her head as she cried into Miyeon's shoulder. "I'm too tired." Miyeon rubbed her back gently as she thought. "One last try. This time I'll be the one who carries our baby. I know you've always wanted to be the one to carry but if this is how we've got to do it... I want to have a family with you." She tucked Shuhua's hair behind her ear. The smile on her face was almost blinding as Shuhua realized there was still hope. 

 

"Alright we're gonna wake up Mama nice and gentle okay?" Miyeon stood between two identical little girls holding a tray with a big plate of food. One of the twins opened the door using both hands as the knob was just a bit too big for her little hands. The girls clumsily climbed up into the bed snuggling into a sleeping Shuhua. "Yeonnie it's too early..." She groaned. "Mama wake up!" One of the girls said a little louder than intended. Miyeon chuckled as she watched Shuhua sit up straight eyes wide open. "What's wrong?!" Miyeon sat the tray down on the night stand. "Nothing's wrong angel out girls are just a little excited." Shuhua smiled a bit as she realized what was happening. "Did my babies come to tell me happy birthday?" Both girls nodded on unison. "Mama ha-" She was cut off by the other one. "Me first Nae! Ha-" The first twin huffed and covered . "No me! You always go first Nam!" The two began to bicker and Miyeon having had three years of experience with their fighting knew just what to do. She snapped her fingers getting their attention. "It's me first. Happy birthday my angel. Thank you for spending another year by my side." She leaned in and pecked the woman on the lips a few times as the little girls made faces. Shuhua chuckled softly at their expressions before pulling them into a hug. 

 

The four of them spent the day in bed watching movies as Shuhua requested. "Hey Mama?" Nam looked up at the woman to her left. "Yes baby?" Shuhua ran her hand through the little girls hair fixing it. "Are you old like Eomma now?" Shuhua broke down laughing as Miyeon had an indignant look on her face. "Yah I'm not old I'm thirty two!" Nae puckered her lips a bit as if thinking. "Eomma that's basically a thousand years." Shuhua nearly fell off the bed laughing as Miyeon sat there pouting. 

 

Note: I'm late I'm sorry but I had family visiting so I haven't been writing.