Daydream

Least We Did Ours

 

 

Davis

 

 

Oh my God Elle!

 

I’m seated on the sofa right by the minibar when I heard shouting. To my surprise, I turn around to see that it was Dena who called out Hia’s friend. I don’t know if it’s the number of shots we’ve all had or the fact that Dena and Hia have been hanging around a lot to the point that they’ve begun sounding like each other.

 

Arden bantayan mo muna si Davis baka mawala bigla, si Elle naman kasi sabi na eh.” Hia shouts as she attempts to go after Elle before the much taller and long legged girl (the attempt will be a challenge) jumps into the pool (again).

 

Okay, maybe it’s the latter. That conclusion isn’t final though, as I see Dena fast approaching, two shot glasses in one hand and a bottle of Jose Cuervo tequila in the other.

 

Maybe it’s the former too.

 

Davey my baby. Shot tayo!

 

I am not fooled like the rest by the number of shot glasses Dena has whenever she offers a toast. I’ve known this girl for more than a decade and basically started partying with her, so I am well aware that this other shot glass is a fake. A false promise that she’ll drink with me. Props lang, ganon.

 

Knowing how the devil works, I would have shoved the shot glasses away, and demanded we both chug a good chunk of the bottle instead. If only I hadn’t done so one too many times already during the recently concluded (and by that I mean everyone got absolutely faced and left) graduates-only party that Hia’s friend planned last minute. 

 

I mean, who would’ve guessed a group of 200 seniors was the reason Elle told me to go ahead after Dena gave the go signal.

 

Reasons. Dena. Go signal. Wait

 

Hold up,” I make conversation with Dena as I take away the bottle and place the shot glasses on the minibar counter. “Why did you ask me na wag muna sumunod agad kanina?” I return the same judging look Dena gave me hours ago.

 

Davey naman,” Dena pleads and grabs the liquor bottle again. “Do you really want to know now? Especially when there’s a good chance you won’t remember any of it later?

 

I take the bottle from her, “Syempre, kaibigan ko kayo both. I’m just looking out for Hia.

 

She takes the bottle back, now being used like a mic during one of our many nonsense debates in the past, “Well, if you arrived earlier, I would’ve told you the plan.” She sticks her tongue out to end her rebuttal.

 

What plan? So may ginawa ka nga kay Hia?” I unintentionally raise my voice as I take the bottle and place it on the counter a bit harder than what I intended. God, how many shots did I have?

 

Meron!” Dena instantly realizes the mistake and shrugs it off. “I mean wala! Stop asking na kasi, I’ll tell you tomorrow over lunch naman magtiis ka muna.

 

Arden okay lang ba kayo dyan? Baka gusto na rin ni Avi humiga?” The negotiation is put on hold when Hia yells from the upper balcony. She probably just finished putting Elle to bed.

 

Sige I’ll bring her up na din.” Dena screams in response, causing me to look at her with a mix of confusion and betrayal.

 

Dena treats my stunned reaction as a golden opportunity to grab the tequila bottle. “Hia, she’s good pa pala. We’ll just chill here by the pool muna. You should sleep na rin.

 

Sige. Avi sumbong mo sakin bukas kapag pinagtripan ka ni Arden! Don’t stay up too late!” I don’t get the chance to respond to Hia as I hear the door shut from above.

 

The quick look Dena gives me before pouring the shots is an unspoken agreement. I sigh, having just made a deal with the devil.

 

Dena takes another glance at me before pouring into the second shot glass, and she shifts into a more serious tone. 

 

Fine. Just so you can put your worries to rest, I talked to her lang. Something I needed some privacy for. That’s why I told you to standby.

 

So, did it go well?” I immediately ask.

 

Dena pauses. She goes back to her former mood, smiling and looking at me as she finishes pouring the drink. 

 

Syempre, tingnan mo ‘to, celebratory shots.

 

Before I could even reply, she downs one shot after the other, followed by a face only now realizing she did not prepare any chaser.

 

That face fools me into thinking I was in the clear after that. “Ikaw naman! Five secooooooooonds!” Dena yells, about to tilt the bottle over my mouth.

 

I yield, closing my eyes as I taste the alcohol and hear the seconds being counted.

 

“1!”

 

“2!”

 

“3!”

 

“4!”

 

“5!”

 

“Davis!”



END OF FLASHBACK


 

Davis (7 years later)


 

“Davis!” Sir JP, our senior here at the department, calls me out.

 

“Yes Sir?” My mouth automatically replies. I really need to get some sleep before these morning meetings.

 

“Do you think the idea is good for our next project?”

 

The rest of the staff looks at me in anticipation. I REALLY need to get some sleep before these things.

 

Have to play it safe. I can’t be completely on board if the idea is bad, but I can’t necessarily show reservations if it’s a sure hit.

 

Come on, Davis. Think.

 

“If the majority seems to be onboard with it, then I think we should have a go at it.” Yes, democracy is always the answer.

 

Sir JP closes his notebook, prompting everyone to start gathering their things across the table.

 

“Then it’s settled then. Shay,” the woman right beside me nods at his call. “You’ll be assistant director of the project. Make sure Davis has everything she needs in directing the documentary.”

 

Wait, WHAT?!

 

“Davis, email me by the end of the week the initial list of people we can interview so we can narrow down the choices based on willingness and availability. Then we adjust our timetable to the schedules of the ones we’ll feature” He scribbles down on his notes what I can assume to be this newly set deadline. 

 

“Yes sir.” I reply in acknowledgment, trying my best to hide how absolutely lost I am at what’s happening.

 

“and Davis,” Sir JP looks at me once he’s finished with his notes. All eyes are on me again.

 

“Yes sir?”

 

“Matulog ka muna bago magwork mamaya. That daydreaming is going to bite you in the sooner or later.” Sir JP jokes before leaving the meeting room.

 

Everyone shares a laugh and leaves by groups until it’s just Shay and I left inside.

 

Shay is my junior here in the department. She’s usually assigned to my projects so that details didn’t come off as a surprise to me. Sir JP partners her with me because he “wants Shay to learn from the best.” 

 

Di naman sa nagmamagaling ako, but there is a reason Sir JP just assigned me to this unknown project even though I wasn’t really here for the majority of the meeting.

 

“So,” I place my head on the table waiting for Shay to break it down for me, “how bad is it?”

 

She slowly slips me her notes from the meeting that I start reading before she blurts out the context of everything written.

 

“Well before the meeting, while you were zoning out, everyone was just making small talk. Mahinang nagpapasoundtrip si Jean sa phone niya nung napatanong siya if anyone knows how the song playing blew up. Sabi ni Annie bago pa daw yung song and just beginning to go around on Tiktok, but Grace mentioned na there’s a rough demo of it on SoundCloud way before it went viral. Sumingit si Ray, siguro yung nostalgic vibes daw kaya automatic may replay value. Si Ken naman nagsabi na the song is perfect for alumni homecomings. Napa-ohhh in agreement lahat until nagparamdam si Sir JP and started the meeting for project ideas. Sir JP was probably in the room for a good part of the conversation kasi sinulat niya yung alumni sa whiteboard. That’s when I pointed out the dilemma of how we can make it interesting. Napatahimik lahat habang nag-iisip until Sir JP pointed at you na tameme lang. I mean, he has a point, pun not intended, when he referred to you. Who else has an alumni class that star-studded? That’s when he erased the writing on the board and called you out. That’s pretty much it.”

 

Shay takes in a big breath after rapping that verse. I don’t utter a word, still taking in what I just heard and finish reading.

 

“Davis, okay ka lang?”

 

“Ah oo, thanks for the briefing.” I sigh but then begin jotting down on the paper.

 

Shay tries to break the silence “I think pwede naman natin sabihin kay Sir if malabo yung idea. I think he’ll understand naman if ngayon pa lang ang dead end na pala nung project kasi—”

 

“It’s alright Shay. Tingnan ko muna if kaya naman yung project.” I pass the notes back to her before standing up to head out of the room. “Ako na magcontact sa mga yan, I’ll let you know by Friday if di talaga kaya.”

 

Shay’s eyes go wide at what I just wrote down. “Ayt boss. Good Night”. I hear her laughing before I close the door behind me.

 

I will be needing more sleep because of this. Baka isang bucket din. Yung libre.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------