Prologue

Least We Did Ours

 

 

Davis

 

 

I take a look at my watch as soon as I turn off the car’s engine.

10:49 p.m. .

Of course, my phone had to ring just as I began hurrying out the car. I hung the camera on my shoulder while trying to wiggle my phone free from my pants. I swear to God, if Den asks me to drive back for some ridiculous—

 

Hia calling

 

I propped up the gift I was holding with my other hand before accepting the call.  “Hey, I’m here na. Don’t tell me Den’s being a pain in the na?”

 

“Hoy grabe ka! Kanina pa tapos yung program, magpakita ka muna bago magsalita diyan!” I hear my bestfriend yell as I move the phone at a safe distance from my ears.

 

Sorry for that Avi, siguro alam mo nang naka-speaker ka,” Hia laughs as she speaks at a much safer volume. “Sure ka bang tamang address na-waze mo? Nag-aalala na kami sayo.

 

Don’t be! I’m sorry talaga for being late.” I closed the door behind me and took a quick look around the house. It looks bigger on the inside, enough to host a party to which there was no trace of.

 

Kakarating ko lang, but no one’s here. Tapos na ba?” I hurriedly walked to the nearest door.

 

It’s impossible naman na I’m at the wrong house kasi this was the only one along the street. I can drive back to the main gate and ask kuya guard if alam niya san bahay niyo. Alam na ba niya if sinabi ko kay Hia Kim po—” My mind goes blank and my mouth forms an O shape when I step out and spot the huge white tent that’s too hard to miss.

 

That sounds like the right spot naman. Wait, ikaw ba yung naka black na coat?” Hia asks as my eyes just then take notice of the only two figures outside the huge venue.

 

Yep, ako ‘to. Stay there ako na lang pupunta diyan.” I hang up on the call as I walk my way to where the two were.

 

 

 

So bakit ka nalate, hmm?” Den asks judgingly, arms crossed and eyes looking intensely at me with nothing but conviction.

 

Arden naman, makahusga.” Hia puts her arms down, giving her hand a tight squeeze before letting go.

 

But why are you late, Avi? Emergency ba?” Hia gives me a look only a crazy person would lie at.

 

Yeah. family matter, but don’t worry everything’s okay na.” I give her a smile to make sure she knows I’m okay.

 

Ito pambawi na lang for making you both worry.” She mouths a quick thanks at the wrapped box I handed her. To be honest, I don’t know why we were invited to this place, pati si Den ata. If I were to guess from the black suits and white gowns filled inside and the long table at the front occupied by what seems to be the host family, it's probably a couple's wedding reception. I just assumed it was something for her kaya I bought a gift.


I say we call it quits talaga by making you wait din, diba Hia?” Den stands right by my side and pulls me closer with her arm around my shoulder. I give Hia a questioning look, signaling for some sort of explanation.

 

Don’t believe her Avi, we just need to go ahead to check if the rest house this place has nearby is still available. If di ka nalate, for sure naclose natin yon for us lang.” Now Hia has her arms crossed.

 

With my head low, I dramatically take a step away from the two and put both my hands up in surrender. “Okay sige para totoong quits na, you guys go ahead na and let me know if I can follow.” I then put them down and face the two. “Ako na sa drinks.” 


Den is speechless and in awe, just responding with a slow clap.

 

Hia laughs at the both of us. “Sige, sabi mo yan ha. We’ll send the list of demands.

 

Uy don’t go overboard with the list!” I turn as the two hurry towards the house where I came out from.

 

Elle’s inside pa by the way! I’ll tell her to follow your car na lang later, see you!” Hia yelled before getting inside the house with Den.

 

A second glass of champagne later, my phone buzzes with a text from Den

 

Den

 

[11:18 PM] Den: pst

 

[11:18 PM] Den: check my text na lang kung kelan punta na kayo hehe

 

[11:19 PM] Davis: Arden Kim bata pa tayo

 

[11:19 PM] Davis: wala pa akong pera para maging ninang

 

[11:21 PM] Den: grabe ka?

 

[11:24 PM] Den: just wait lang, mabilis lang 'to hehe

 

[11:26 PM] Davis: hay sige

 

[11:26 PM] Davis: make the grocery list short ha, i'm driving so i can't drink. si elle din ata may car

 

[11:30 PM] Den: ofc

 

[11:31 PM] Den: thanks  😘

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------