Food for Thought

A Demon for a Friend

"How long have you been alive for?"

Instead of answering, Eunhyuk pokes curiously at the food substance the human has presented. The garish colours offends his eyes. Donghae called it 'strawberry cereal.' Eunhyuk takes a small bite, deems it worthy to be eaten, and devours it.

Eunhyuk looks up at Donghae who is watching him eat with a self-satisfied smile.

"Do you like it?~"

"... It was edible."

Donghae laughs and pours Eunhyuk more. "You should be honest with me, you're my friend now! My best friend!"

"... It was edible."

Donghae scoffs. "Fine, if you say so. You didn't answer my question though. How old are you?"

Eunhyuk munches on the tiny little spheres. He enjoys the noise they make.

"You most likely would not understand even if I explained it to you."

"Okay, so you're old. So you can be my friend for a very long time, right?"

"A long time by your standards is almost nothing to me. It's the blink of an eye. I have lived for longer than you can comprehend and will continue to do so for millennia more."

Donghae looks down sheepishly. "...It's not nothing to me."

Eunhyuk blinks. "That's not what I..."

Donghae looks up with a sad little smile, and Eunhyuk finds that it doesn't suit his face quite the way his other smiles do.

"It's okay, I must not be all that significant in the span of things. But anyways, you should eat more cereal!"

Donghae spills the cereal all over the table.

Eunhyuk watches Donghae closely as he cleans up the cereal in a frenzy, and wonders again why this seemingly cheerful human had to resort to making a deal with a devil to make a friend.

Eunhyuk contemplates this as he chews. Food for thought for another day, he tells himself.