PLACES

 ADULTING ! : SEMESTER STARTING…
JyvcGYM.png

♡♡♡

AUTHORS NOTE

12 • 18 — hey guys, these are all the facilities on campus that would probably be the main areas where the story will take place. 
08 • 18 — two places have been added, retox & yeonju's bbq!

133137879d7a91a0195fbe51ff01d1be.jpg

JEJU UNIVERSITY
JEJU CITY, JEJU

Jeju University (JJU) is a public university located in the suburban area of Jeju City, South Korea. Like the city it is known for its beautiful campus with a lot of greenery and gardens to explore. They offer both undergraduate and postgraduate programs and are open to in-state, out-of-state and international students. With an acceptance rate of 30% it’s not as competitive as the top 3 universities in Korea but it’s well respected as the best university in Jeju.

In recent years they haven’t had many international students so it’s something that they’ve been actively working on by building facilities like the One World Cafe and Lounge. They have a reputation for having a high quality student life despite the pressures of university life and are known for their generous aid for qualifying students. Jeju University has a wide range of majors, clubs and sports team for students to choose from so they can enjoy their stay at the university to the best of their abilities.

2750109f7ee2b9dc682df53d0d7aa7e2.jpg

STUDENTS CENTER
MAIN BUILDING

The Students Center is the main community center of the college, serving students, faculty, staff, alumni and visitors. It provides services and conveniences that members of the college community need in their daily lives and creates an environment for getting to know and understand others through formal and informal associations. For performing arts it’s home to the Hanbyul Theatre, music practice rooms, and Symphony Hall. It is the center of student affairs and activities acting as a conference center, with its meeting rooms rented out to student groups and local organizations holding conferences or competitions. The Health and Wellness Center is also located here. A large student lounge and game room that’s never empty, the campus post office, movie theater, bookstore and a food court in the basement.

There are lawns all over campus but the most popular are the ones leading to the Student Center. The wide grassland area is a common ground for club events, people watching or maybe just a nap under a shady tree. 

62b62d6b2edbebd247b3eafec575277d.jpg

CENTRAL LIBRARY
main ON-CAMPUS LIBRARY

The Central Library is the main library on campus. A quiet place to do homework and study with a wide array of books to choose from, from textbooks to fiction novels the Central Library has it all. The library is always looking for new employees and volunteers. The building is huge and requires a lot of maintenance but students keep quitting because the main librarian is a pain to work with.

An elderly woman has been running the place for the last 40 years and she has a lot to say to those that don't follow her rules. She's not afraid to complain about every little thing and go up to students that are being too loud for her liking which is basically anything louder than a whisper. Get on her bad side and she has no problem banning you from the library or calling security on those being difficult.

960d32b919bcffe184637f46a689c2d5.jpg

SPORTS CENTER
main athletic facility

The Sports Center is the main area for recreational activities on campus. There is a small gym at Chungsam Hall but if you want a wider variety of machines besides treadmills and weights then The Sports Center is your place to go. It houses the main and biggest gym on campus along with other indoor sports facilities such as indoor tennis courts, jogging area, basketball courts, an olympic sized swimming pool and more. There are also outdoor fields that can be used.

The Sports Center has jobs as personal trainers that are available to qualifying students. There are scheduled recreational classes offered weekly such as yoga and pilates. As the main area for sports teams and clubs the Sports Center has a space for every sports team Jeju University has to offer and more than enough to satisfy the health needs of every student. 

2527b898431a60704971ebee64cf6446.jpg

HAPPY BEAN CAFE
on-campus cafe

The Happy Bean Cafe is a popular cafe among freshmen for its close proximity to Chungsam Hall but students of all ages frequent the two floor cafe. They provide all sorts of food both savory and sweet as well as a wide variety of teas, coffees, and other nonalcoholic drinks of that sort. They're also known for their deals and seasonal promotions. There's never a time of day when it's not busy, but it's a popular job for any students looking for part time employment.

The Happy Bean Cafe is a good place to hang out and study. It's a common place for clubs to host events as well. On some weekends they have different events like open mic nights or poetry night, all usually student run and depending on the time of year. A good time for students to show off their talents and mingle with one another. 

960d32b919bcffe184637f46a689c2d5.jpg

ONE WORLD CAFE AND LOUNGE
located NEAR the CENTER OF INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS

Since Jeju University doesn't have an international residence hall or a place where international students can hang out, One World Cafe and Lounge was built to meet those needs. Promoting global cultural diversity, it is the most popular facility for international students on campus. It contains a large lounge area with a TV and a few games like table tennis and pool, as well as a cafe.  

The One Word Cafe is known for it's diverse menu of international foods and drinks. Unlike Happy Bean Cafe, One World Cafe has more diverse savory meal options and can easily be dubbed as an international restaurant instead of a cafe. On top of their permanent menu they have many temporary menus options based on other countries cuisines. One World Cafe is seen like a home away from home for many international students due to its homey and welcoming feel. As for employment, international students have a higher chance of getting hired here since english tends to be required.  

960d32b919bcffe184637f46a689c2d5.jpg

BOTANICAL GARDENS
located all throughout campus

Since Jeju University is most known for its Natural Sciences, the campus can’t be without its botanical gardens. These natural teaching settings has close connections with university programs and degree paths in agriculture, plant science, and environmental studies. They also have strong community outreach programs and allow students to participate in volunteer programs, service learning projects, and internships. Especially the indoor garden conservatory, offering a warm welcome to those trying to escape the bitter wind chill.  

The Arboretum collections are displayed in a variety of thematic gardens, ranging from the ecogeographic gardens in the south end to the most popular traditional style garden and lake that leads to Cha Cha Teahouse. A hidden gem at Jeju University known for its zen like qualities, a great place to get away on campus.  

960d32b919bcffe184637f46a689c2d5.jpg

DAESUNG LAKE
the biggest lake on campus

Daesung Lake is the biggest and most popular lake on campus. Many students and alumni would call it the best part about going to JeJu University. It’s a vitally important place for outdoor research, hiking, and communing with nature.

Daesung Lake is part of the university’s extensive network of hiking, biking and running trails, which thread all around the campus. Students and employees can borrow canoes, kayaks, and sailboats from the Boathouse, which is only open to attendees of JJU. Campouts, orientation socials, cookouts, alumni gatherings, and more all happen here but it’s also just a nice place to get away from studying and relax. A perfect reminder of all the beauty that Jeju has to offer.

960d32b919bcffe184637f46a689c2d5.jpg

YEONJU'S BBQ
BBQ RESTAURANT NEAR CAMPUS

Yeonju's BBQ is a BBQ restaurant located near campus that's a popular destination for both JJU students and the local community. It’s been open for over 50 years, the owner, Yun Kihwan, is a kind old man that treats his workers well and is well known around the community for his generous nature. Often seen engaging in conversation with customers and giving a free appetizer or extra round of meat just because.

Known for its chill atmosphere, delicious food, and reasonable prices, its no surprise that this is the perfect place to hang out with friends or host club dinners. The restaurant stays open until the AM providing any post-study session munchies. Many of the workers are local students and it’s not uncommon for him to go past closing time to accommodate any lingering customers.

960d32b919bcffe184637f46a689c2d5.jpg

RETOX
NIGHTCLUB NEAR campus

Retox is a popular nightclub near campus. It’s easily spotted by its flashy sign and queue line that tends to go around the block. This place greatly contrasts the calm feel that Jeju gives off yet finds itself packed every-night.

Open 7 days a week and known for their questionable policy of student discounts on drinks, they’ve maintained their place as the top club in Jeju City for years. Tourists, students and locals alike go there for a good time of drinking and dancing their inhibitions away. Their music selections tends to depend on the DJ but comes down to either edm, house, pop-remixes, hiphop or a mesh of all.

Be an attractive girl or come with a promoter and you could get in for free. But guys have to pay up, unless you have connections of course.