Bae Irene, Kang Seulgi

The One Where Everybody Finds Out (SR)

 

There was absolutely nothing that directly tied Bae Irene and Kang Seulgi together. They didn’t go to high school together, they didn’t work together, and they didn’t know each other before college. Irene is roommates and consequently best friends with Park Sooyoung and, Son Seungwan is Park Sooyoung’s girlfriend and also Seulgi’s best friend. Irene is friend’s with Solar, Seulgi’s friends with Moonbyul and those two are dating. Seulgi and Irene and merely along for the ride. Somehow, Irene is closer to Seungwan than she is with Seulgi, but maybe that’s because they share classes. Still, nothing has ever warranted them to get any closer– dubbing them acquaintances. Mutual friends seemed like the further step since whatever they have between them can barely be considered friendship since there isn’t anything between them.

 

Irene finds it odd one morning when she has to take a store run for the apartment since they’ve run out of groceries and the woman beside her pushing the trolley isn’t her roommate Sooyoung, or Seungwan her classmate, but it’s Kang Seulgi. Kang Seulgi who she found on her couch in the morning and screamed at the intruder before knowing the explanation. Apparently Sooyoung slept over at Seungwan’s and Seulgi was kicked out and given the keys to Irene’s apartment.

 

“Kang Seulgi.” Irene greets once she’s calmed down after being scared out of her wits seeing Seulgi on her couch early in the morning.

“Bae Irene.” Seulgi answers with a nod.

 

It had then been silent until Joohyun had checked if she could make breakfast for the two of them, and upon the inspection of the single egg in the fridge and empty boxes in the pantry, they were not going to be able to make breakfast. 

 

Seulgi sits in the passenger seat and Irene drives to the supermarket as the morning radio chatter blurs in the background. Seulgi’s busy tapping away her fingers against her thigh and Irene is really trying to focus on driving. It feels like it's somehow already an existing routine when Seulgi gets a shopping cart and begins to follow Irene around in the aisles. Even if they weren’t close with each other, there was a sense of comfortability that settled in Irene when she walked beside Seulgi who pushes the trolley to match her pace as she peers at the list over Irene’s shoulder. 

 

“Do you need to buy anything for your apartment?” Irene asks Seulgi when they’ve finished her list.

“Hm. I don’t think so.” Seulgi shakes her head.

“How about Wan?” Irene asks.

“I don’t think so. She’s pretty on time with the groceries.” Seulgi says.

“Okay.” Irene hums.

 

They line up to pay and Seulgi is tapping her fingers against the trolley and although it doesn’t annoy Irene, she does feel curious like Seulgi might say something.

 

“Irene?” Irene seems to have been waiting for Seulgi to speak as she turns to face the girl. Seulgi blinks at Irene’s immediate response and eye contact.

“Uh.. is it alright if we could grab pancakes for breakfast?” Seulgi asks and Irene’s face graces with a smile when she thinks of pancakes.

“Sure!” She easily agrees and Seulgi beams.

 

Later when they’ve loaded all the groceries into the car, they walk to the usual café they go to and order two servings of pancakes. Seulgi gets a strawberry special and Irene gets a chocolate one.

 

The chocolate pancakes plate gets handed to Seulgi and the younger girl begins to cut the pancakes into smaller pieces and Irene blinks. Seulgi hands back the plate and Irene automatically hands Seulgi the strawberry pancakes. Seulgi begins to dig in and then she finds that Irene may be looking at her, and so she looks up to find Irene looking at her.

“Oh - uh, I’ve noticed you do that when you eat pancakes… sorry was that weird?” Seulgi blushes.

“No, uh thanks.” Irene smiles as she begins to eat too.

 

The next time Irene and Seulgi see each other happens when Wendy and Solar have a conjoined party for their birthdays in Solar’s apartment and Irene had arrived early to help set up. Aside from Solar’s girlfriend Moonbyul being there and Sooyoung, Seulgi was there too. Naturally, the two gravitate towards each other in the kitchen as they set up a table of refreshments.

 

“Kang Seulgi.” Irene greets her.

“Bae Irene.” Seulgi does the same, making Irene laugh.

“How come you’re here early?” Irene asks as she tears open the plastic for the drink cups.

“Byul forced me to.” She answers.

“You?” Seulgi looks to the side to face Irene when she speaks as she organises the snacks.

“I’m a nice friend.” Irene shrugs with a smile.
“Touché.” Seulgi chuckles.

 

They fall into silence after that and it’s not the kind of silence that makes Irene itch to say something and it doesn’t make Seulgi feel like she should speak either. 

 

The party kicks off quietly and seamlessly as they have a nice intimate get together. Later she finds Seulgi and Sooyoung sneaking two cakes from the kitchen into a room. She follows and she brings a lighter along, knowing the two of them had somehow forgotten the most important part.

 

“- .” Seulgi curses as she holds the cake with one hand and tries searching for the lighter in her pocket with the other hand.

“Didn’t you bring the lighter?!” Sooyoung whispers.

“I thought I did!” Seulgi defends herself.

“...Need a light?” Irene brings out her bestest smoker impression.

“Ugh - our saviour.” Seulgi sighs gratefully.

“Thank god we have you, unnie.” Sooyoung groans.

 

Irene chuckles before heading over and holding the lighter over Moonbyul’s cake first since she was standing closest to Seulgi. She tries it a few times and it only sparks.

“Unnie, hurry!” Sooyoung whines.

“I am!” Irene huffs.

“Here, let me.” Seulgi passes the cake over and Irene palms it. Seulgi lights the lighter on the first try.

“I greased it up for you.” Irene defends her honour.

“Oh sure.” Seulgi snorts.

 

Irene holds the cake steady as Seulgi lights each candle and Irene finds herself watching Seulgi’s expression in the dim lighted room as the flames flicker and highlights Seulgi’s face with colours of amber. Joy watches Irene's bright eyes curiously. Seulgi grins once she’s able to light all the candles successfully and Irene finds herself smiling too.

 

“Boom, did it.” Seulgi says before pocketing the lighter.

“Congrats.” Irene says.

“Thanks. I feel very adult.” Seulgi says and Irene laughs.

 

The door opens quietly and Irene startles– moving closer to Seulgi and Seulgi has one hand on the cake and one on Irene’s arm.

 

“Hey, thanks for lighting the cake.” Moonbyul says as Seulgi hands over the cake.

“No problem.” Seulgi says, checking up on Irene.

“Startle easy?” She asks and Irene nods.

“You and Joy make good roommates then, I suppose?” Seulgi humours and Irene rolls her eyes with a chuckle.

“Oh - the best roommates.” Sooyoung grins smugly and Irene shoves her off when Sooyoung wraps an arm over her shoulders.

“Okay, let’s go surprise them, Yeri and I have distracted them long enough.” Moonbyul says and the four of them tip toe out of the room.

 

Solar cries, Seungwan almost cries and Irene is laughing silently. Seulgi finds her way beside her and Irene looks up at the taller of them.

 

“Cute, aren’t they?” Seulgi says.

“They are.” Irene agrees.

“Want a drink?” Seulgi asks.

“Sure.”

 

A few drinks later and many shots– courtesy of Wheein and Yeri, Irene finds herself giggling at everything and anything. Seungwan breathed funny - she laughed, Hwasa walked funny - she laughed, Seulgi smiled - she most definitely did laugh. Seulgi also couldn’t stop grinning as she sat beside Irene.

 

Irene, Sooyoung, Seungwan, Yeri and Seulgi all end up going home drunk to Irene and Sooyoung’s apartment since it was closest to Solar’s apartment.  

 

Yeri stumbles in first after Joy opens the door and she collapses onto the couch. Sooyoung and Seungwan make their way to Sooyoung’s room and Irene heads to the bathroom. When she exits, she finds Seulgi clumsily looking for food in the pantry. Irene somehow makes her way over without tripping on anything.

 

“Kang - Kang Seulgi.” Irene slurs.

“Bae Irene.” Seulgi quips.

“What are you doing?” She asks.

“I’m hungry.” Seulgi says as she drunkenly manoeuvres herself to sit on the kitchen counter. Irene stands in front of her from the opposite side– leaning on the fridge.

“You’ll get an upset stomach if you eat something so late.” Irene says.

“Make me food, please?” Seulgi pouts.

 

Irene chuckles before pushing herself off from the fridge– albeit with too much force since she’s sent flying forward against Seulgi. She falls between Seulgi’s legs and Seulgi holds her upright.

“Woah, careful.” Seulgi doesn’t let go of her shoulders. Irene’s hands end up on Seulgi’s thighs. Irene looks up and the poor lighting in the kitchen reminds her of Seulgi when she was lighting up the candles.

“Have I told you look beautiful?” Irene finds herself speaking without her mind catching up to her.

“No.” Seulgi smiles lazily.

“Well I think you look very beautiful right now.” Irene says softly.

“You should kiss me to seal the compliment.” Seulgi leans forward slightly.

“..I might.” Irene smiles.

 

Irene leans forward until her lips are gently kissing Seulgi– almost chastely. She pulls away and ghosts Seulgi’s lips to see what the next step is because she’s not all there in her mind right now, but neither is Seulgi. Seulgi leans forward until her legs are wrapped around Irene's waist, and then they’re kissing again. Seulgi’s lips are so intoxicating and Irene just finds herself wanting it all. She tastes sweet like fruits and Irene is kissing Seulgi’s lips until they’re red and glossy. She pulls away breathlessly and she rests her forehead against Seulgi’s.

 

“...I don’t think I’m hungry anymore.” Seulgi breathes out and Irene smiles.

“We should sleep.” Irene says before moving back and disappearing into her room.




 

The next morning, she wakes up feeling like death and somehow Yeri is on the bed with her, curled up in a small ball. She gets up and she feels all her muscles ache and she feels the remnants of the alcohol abuse from last night in the form of her throbbing head. She enters the kitchen and sees Seulgi sipping on a mug. Suddenly she's turning back and leaning against the wall– hiding for a moment. She clasps a hand over when she realises what she did last night.

 

Holy .

I kissed Kang Seulgi.

 

Irene muffles a scream and tugs on her hair tightly as a million thoughts run through her mind. She takes a deep breath, smooths out her hair and enters the kitchen calmly just like she would do on any ordinary day. 

 

“Morning.” Irene greets Seulgi.

“Morning.” Seulgi tips her mug towards Irene as a greeting. 

 

As she boils hot water and places a tea bag in her mug, she can feel Seulgi’s eyes on her once again, however this time she doesn’t look or say anything about it. She definitely wants to run away though since – goddammit this water isn’t boiling fast enough!

 

“Hey.. do you - do you remember anything from last night?” Seulgi asks her as she swirls her mug around.

 

What's this?

An opening.

 

“Uh.. no - no not particularly.” Irene responds without looking as she pours the hot water into the mug. “Did I do something weird?” 

“Oh no - it’s just I don’t remember much either.” Seulgi says with a mysterious smile as she observes Irene over the rim of the mug she drinks from. 

“Well.. I think I’m going to wake Yeri up.” Irene clears before taking the mug and running off to her room. 

She places the mug down and then she jumps onto the bed— screaming into her pillow.

“Uh.. wh-what time is it?” Yeri startles awake.

 

After that, Irene makes it her life mission to avoid Seulgi. It becomes quite successful over the couple of weeks because Irene and Seulgi never go out of their way to see each other, but then on the other hand, being friends with each others friends is currently a bad thing because if she’s with Solar, Solar is with Moonbyul, and that means Seulgi is hanging around too. Seungwan and Irene are friends so she frequently sees Seulgi and makes an excuse at the last minute. Last week, it was ‘she left her oven on and had to turn it off’. Two days ago it was that she ‘had to cut a new key since she broke it by jamming it into the door’. So far she hasn’t been questioned, however she has discovered that Seulgi has a really annoying and attractive smile. 

 

And then at this moment— Irene will reiterate that being friends with each other's friends is currently a bad thing. 

 

“Moonbyul’s having a party at Hyojung’s sorority.” Joy says and Irene sinks into the couch– knowing exactly what she’ll be roped into this time.

“Pleaseeee, I don’t want to goooo.” Irene’s whining and Joy’s pulling her off the couch by the ankle.

“You wish you had a choice, unnie.” Joy laughs.

 

Irene finds herself wanting to turn away because she can sure as hell identify whoever is standing next to Moonbyul at the entrance of the sorority house, and it is Kang Seulgi in the flesh. She can’t turn away though since Sooyoung has her in a death grip. They make it to the house and there’s greetings, and then there’s Kang Seulgi looking at her with a smug smirk and her eyes are so alluring– Irene really wants to run away.

 

They’re all settling around the couch and Sooyoung bounces when she takes a seat next to Irene. Seulgi and Seungwan sit across from them and soon the circle begins to grow larger and Irene can only predict what this leads to. 

“Let's play, never have I ever!” Jennie cheers the moment everyone is seated. Irene groans loudly and Seulgi chuckles lightly. Even if the party’s loud, Seulgi’s chuckle is identifiable and it brings Irene to avert her eyes and a violent pink blush spreads across her cheeks. 

“You can’t run away this time, Bae Irene!” Jennie holds her down with an outstretched arm.

“I wasn’t going to.” Irene mumbles.

 

“Okay, drink if you have done it and don’t drink if you haven’t!” Jennie lays the rules down.

“I’m gonna start, never have I ever been in a relationship!” A couple of people take a sip and Irene does too, but the person across from her not lifting a finger to her cup intrigues her a little.

“Never have I ever been arrested!” Someone chimes in and at least three people take a sip. Irene ponders what it would feel like if she took a drink just to lie for fun, but her intrusive thoughts lose this time around.

 

The game continues and Irene feels the warmth at her neck after the numerous sips of alcohol she has taken throughout the game. She keeps stealing glances at Seulgi and for a good six times, she was caught and Seulgi only smirks when she catches Irene. Seulgi had barely taken a sip from her very full cup and Sooyoung decided to take it into her own hands.

“Seulgi you have barely taken a sip”, Sooyoung slurs. “I have one for you! Drink if you haven’t had your first kiss!” 

 

It has been known for a while that Seulgi is a purely romantic person that likes watching romance in films, reading them in books and just thinking of silly little scenarios. Silly little scenarios being the perfect first kiss, which to everyone’s knowledge, she hasn’t had yet. Irene blinks and suddenly the couch she’s been sitting on feels very hot.

 

“Aren’t you going to drink?” Seungwan asks and Seulgi only shrugs.

“No.” She replies simply with a cryptic smile. Seulgi’s eyes meet Irene’s and the girl looks elsewhere. 

“Okay, hold on - what?!” Sooyoung lurches forward and she splashes her drink against Irene’s exposed knee a bit.  

 

Suddenly everyone is sober and wanting to know what the hell has been going on in Kang Seulgi’s little life.

 

“Woah - when did you have your first kiss, Kang Seulgi?” Seungwan sits upright and Seulgi only smiles.

“Few weeks ago.” She shrugs, still being elusive. 

“With who?!” Moonbyul asks, bewildered.

“It was a drunken kiss and it’s unfortunate that they’re pretending that they don’t remember.” Seulgi grins when she locks eyes with Irene. Irene feels hot in her seat and she gulps as subtle as she can.

“Oh my god, who the hell is it!” Yeri is gasping.

“I don’t kiss and tell.” Seulgi shrugs mysteriously.

“Aw man, seriously - tell us!” Seungwan punches her shoulder and Seulgi only smiles.

“Unnie! Come on, tell us!” Sooyoung whines.

“Can’t.” Seulgi says with one last look at Irene, who had successfully been swallowed by the couch.

 

They’re outside the party now and everyone is dispersing in their own rides or making their own way back, Sooyoung and Seungwan are nowhere to be located, Yeri is missing, and Irene and Seulgi are standing in front of each other on the lawn of the house.

 

“Seulgi.” Irene says and Seulgi only smiles.

“Irene.” She tilts her head.

“Kang Seulgi.” Irene reiterates. 

“Bae Irene.” Seulgi grins. “Long time no see. How long has it been? Weeks?” Seulgi rubs at her imaginary beard. 

“..you didn’t tell me it was your first kiss.” Irene crosses her arms and pouts.

“I didn’t feel it was of importance.” Seulgi shrugs.

“How can it not be important!” Irene exclaims with a stomp. “It was your first kiss!”

“And I was drunk!” Irene groans.

“So was I.” Seulgi says.

“Oh my god. I’m a bad person. I even pretended it didn’t happen.” Irene runs her hands down her face.

“Quite mean of you actually.” Seulgi taunts Irene with a pout and a dramatic hand on her chest.

“Nooooo.” Irene whines as she covers her face with her hands. “I feel like I’ve committed a national crime!”

 

Seulgi chuckles as she watches Irene writhe around in regret. She steps forward and brings Irene’s hands down and brings Irene’s face up with her index finger so she can see Irene’s sad pouting face.

 

“Don’t feel bad about it. I don’t.” Seulgi shrugs.
“But it was your first kiss…” Irene pouts sadly. “I took away your dreams.”

“I think being able to say that Bae Irene was my first kiss surpasses any dream.” Seulgi says to comfort her.

“You’re just trying to make me feel better.” Irene huffs.

“Is it working?” Seulgi grins as she wraps Irene in her jacket. Irene doesn’t argue or refuse the jacket since she’s cold.

“A little.” Irene sulks.

 

“You know how you can make it up to me after stealing my first kiss and avoiding me for weeks?” Seulgi asks with a smirk as she holds an annoyed Irene in her arms. She peers down at the older woman and Irene’s eyes light up expectantly.

“How?” Irene asks eagerly.

“Watch Gonjiam with me.” Seulgi says.

“That’s that horror movie isn’t it?” Irene pulls away slightly.

“Hm.” Seulgi shrugs with a smile.

“Seul..” Irene hesitates.

“You said you wanted to make it up to me, this is how you do it.” Seulgi grins and Irene groans loudly.

“C’mon!” Seulgi wraps her arm over Irene’s shoulder.

“Fine.” Irene agrees reluctantly.

 

Irene had been scared out of her mind in the safety of her own room with Seulgi who was wearing her pyjamas watching the stupid horror movie Seulgi wanted to watch. Irene had been gripping Seulgi’s arm to the point the younger girl's arm had just ended up between her legs because her whole being was holding onto Seulgi.

 

“ you. I can’t believe I watched the entire movie with you.” Irene shudders, hiding her face in Seulgi’s neck. Seulgi’s body shakes with laughter and Irene huffs, feeling embarrassed.

“It’s not funny!” Irene pulls away and Seulgi follows her as she grabs Irene’s arm to keep her from going anywhere.

“Yes it is.” Seulgi laughs loudly.

“You’re mean.” Irene pouts.

“You’re cute.” Seulgi retorts and Irene opens and closes not knowing how to respond to that.

“N-no I’m not!” Irene huffs.

“You’re proving yourself wrong right now.” Seulgi chuckles as she pulls Irene back.

“Shut up.” Irene shoves her. 

“Make me.” Seulgi says, pulling Irene down all the way with her. Irene somehow ends up on her back on her own bed and Seulgi is hovering above her.

 

“Seulgi.” Irene blinks.

“Irene.” Seulgi smiles.

“I really would like to kiss you.” Seulgi says.
“..you should.” Irene answers– feeling only desire for Seulgi at that moment.

 

Seulgi leans down and takes Irene’s lips into her own. Their lips mould together seamlessly, seemingly made for each other. Irene’s hands are around Seulgi’s neck and Seulgi’s hands are all over her body. Irene pulls away, breathless.

 

“For someone who just had their first kiss, I find you very experienced.” Irene breathes out against Seulgi’s mouth.

“I’m observant. I could show you more of what I’ve learnt.” Seulgi grins and Irene in a breath.

“Do your worst.” Irene smiles before leaning up to kiss Seulgi this time.

 

The kiss is full of passion and a warmth pools between Irene’s legs and all she wants is Seulgi, Seulgi, Seulgi. She wants Seulgi's touch, her tongue, her hands, her mind and most definitely her body. 

 

Irene’s eyes are hooded, almost closed from the ecstasy that is Seulgi, and Seulgi’s eyes are looking down at her full of allure and predatory instinct. Irene ends up on top and Seulgi’s resting against the headboard of the bed as Irene straddles her and her hands weave themselves into Seulgi’s hair and Seulgi’s hands are on Joohyun’s body, roaming as the kiss continues feverrently. Seulgi’s hands sneak under Irene’s shirt and Seulgi’s cool touch elicits a moan from Irene. Irene pulls away and swallows thickly, feeling warmth in her body when the remnants of what transpired glistens against Seulgi’s red swollen lips as Seulgi looks up at her with a lazy smile and dark eyes.

 

“All the way.” Seulgi says and Irene quirks a brow.

“All the way?” Irene clarifies.

“I want all of you.” Seulgi says and something completely shatters in Irene’s soul and it’s the clear signs of having boundaries, but right now she doesn’t care– all she wants is Seulgi. 

 

Irene dives right back into Seulgi.


 

The morning after, Seulgi wakes first, stealing clothes out of Irene’s wardrobe. She comes around and brushes Irene’s hair away from her face and gently thumbs Irene’s nose before leaning down to kiss her lips.

“I have class.” Seulgi says and Irene nods sleepily into her warm comforter. Seulgi pulls the comforter properly over Irene’s bare shoulder before leaving the apartment hastily.

 

Irene wakes up later when the sun isn’t completely blaring at her from the cracks of the blinds. She slips on a T-shirt and exits her room. She drags herself to the kitchen and opens the fridge to make a fruit bowl. When she turns around, Sooyoung is leaning up against the kitchen counter.

 

“Oh - what the , Sooyoung!” Irene curses, almost dropping the fruit in her hands.

“Hello there.” Sooyoung waves her fingers with a smirk.

“I thought you were staying the night at Seungwan’s?” Irene says as she begins to cut up her fruit and place it into a bowl.

“No, felt like going back to my apartment which I share with my dear roommate, Bae Irene.” Sooyoung begins to speak vaguely.

“Do you.. do you need something from me?” Irene asks, feeling a bit threatened by Sooyoung’s smile. 

“No, no.. just want to know if the was good, ‘cause whew, you were really using your vocal abilities at two in the morning.” Sooyoung grins and Irene flushes red.

“I-is that when you got back?” Irene asks.

“Mhm.” Sooyoung nods.

 

Irene takes her bowl of fruit and sits on the couch and Sooyoung follows diligently.

 

“Wish I saw him leave this morning though because I really wanna picture the dude that was able to Bae Irene into the oblivion.” Sooyoung sighs wishly with a smirk and Irene sighs through her nostrils.

“Can we just ignore that I got laid?” Irene groans.

“Oh no, no, no- I will not let you live this down until I figure out who did you last night.” Sooyoung sing-songs as she disappears into her room.

 

Irene lines up in the cafeteria line and she can feel Sooyoung staring at her all the way from the table. She had still been pestering Irene about who the supposed ‘guy’ was and Irene wasn’t saying a single word about it. She spoke to a guy in class in the morning and Sooyoung had interrogated her and asked if it was that guy. Poor guy was asking if he could borrow a pen.

 

“Why is Sooyoung looking at you like that?” Seulgi pops up beside her in the cafeteria line and Irene jolts a bit.

“Sorry, did I startle you?” Seulgi apologises with a hand gently placed on her elbow.

“A bit.” Irene smiles at her.

“Anyways, why is Sooyoung looking at you like she has dirt on you?” Seulgi chuckles when she still finds the girl staring at Irene with a -eating grin on her face.

“Well.” Irene sighs.

“Well?” Seulgi tilts her head.

“She heard me - well, us.. last night.” Irene says vaguely.

“..us?” Seulgi questions and Irene looks at her expectantly.

“Oh - us!” Seulgi blushes.

“In Sooyoung’s crude words this morning, she would like to find the ‘quote-on-quote’ dude that ed me into the oblivion last night.” Irene says as she fills her tray with food.

“Oh.” Seulgi says and soon a smirk blooms on her face.

“Don’t smirk, you jackass.” Irene bumps her hip against Seulgi and Seulgi laughs.

“I’m not smirking!” Seulgi retorts.

“Yes you are, you little .” Irene scoffs. Seulgi holds Irene’s tray for her as they make their way to Sooyoung and the rest.

 

Irene sits down, putting her bag in her lap with a huff as Sooyoung continues to look at her. Seulgi chuckles before sitting down beside Irene and putting the tray in front of the girl. Solar watches that interaction curiously.

 

“So, I guess you had fun last night.” Moonbyul comments as she gestures to the marks colouring Irene’s neck. Irene curses herself and mostly Seulgi in her head.

“Shut up.” Irene glares at her.

“She really did, you should’ve heard her last night.” Sooyoung raises her eyebrows up and down.

“No way.” Solar laughs. “You were next door?”
“I came back late just to hear these beautiful sounds coming from Irene-unnie. Never heard her like that in my three years of being her roommate.” Sooyoung places a hand on her chest proudly. Irene hits her head against the table and curls into her embarrassment.

“Now I want to find the beautiful man who actually made Irene .” Sooyoung cackles.

“Can we not, please.” Irene whines.

“No can do. This is your fault because I didn’t get to sleep a wink.” Sooyoung says.

“ you.” Irene spits.

“No thank you, I have a girlfriend.” Sooyoung stretches over Seungwan with a grin.

 

Irene rolls her eyes and she smiles gratefully when Seulgi reaches under and then they’re holding hands under the table like it’s a stupid romcom.

 

“Did you go home with a guy from the party? We didn’t even see you after?” Seungwan asks and Irene sighs. Seulgi rubs her hand with her thumb.

“I’m not commenting.” Irene says.

“Okay, so you totally did!” Sooyoung chimes in and Irene stabs the food harshly. Seulgi taps rhythmically on Irene’s palm, distracting her slightly.

“Oh my god, too many people went to the party last night, I can’t think of a name.” Moonbyul whines.

“Was it Mino? Or Suho? Or was it…..”

 

Irene effectively zones out from the conversation and only eats her lunch and focuses on Seulgi’s hand that’s clasped around hers. Seulgi’s hand never leaves her throughout the whole time and only she lets go when they have to go to their respective classes. Seulgi walks behind the group as they leave for their classes and she quickly steals a kiss on Irene's cheek, who is pleasantly surprised.

“Yah..” Irene chastises her quietly and Seulgi only runs off cheekily.


 

Seulgi’s staying after hours in the art rooms since she has a piece that she’d like to finish as soon as possible since working with oil painting gets a bit annoying since it doesn’t dry as fast as another medium like acrylic paint. Many have left the art rooms so Seulgi was enjoying the aloneness since she was able to play music– however that caused her to effectively not take notice of the messages on her phone. 

 

Seulgi’s busy placing articulated paint onto the canvas propped on an easel and dancing as she mumbles lyrics, she doesn’t really notice Irene standing in the doorway with an amused smile.

 

“..It’s your birthday, birthday… bam bam ba-”

“I never knew I’d be able to see Red Velvet perform live in an art room.” Irene says with a grin.

“Holy - Irene! Hey! Hi! What uh - what are you doing here?” Seulgi stammers as she almost drops her paint brush.

“If you weren’t so busy performing, I messaged you. I said I’d come see you.” Irene chuckles before entering the room. Seulgi wipes her hands on her apron before pausing the music and looking at her phone, which indefinitely showed three messages from Irene.

“Oh.” Seulgi grins sheepishly. “My bad.”

“You’re forgiven.” Irene bounces over and she stands over Seulgi’s shoulder to see the painting.

“May I look?” Irene asks as she turns to Seulgi– brushing her nose against Seulgi’s.

“You may.” Seulgi grins.

 

Seulgi watches Irene as she looks at the painting– eyes roaming over every detail, even the littlest ones like the tree in the background Seulgi had spent an insurmountable amount of time on. 

“You are incredible. You know that, Seul?” Irene says softly.

“No I do not know. Thank you.” Seulgi chuckles, blushing at the sudden compliment.

 

“...would you like to help me paint?” Seulgi proposes.

“Oh god no - I wouldn’t want to ruin your painting.” Irene shakes her head with clear refusal.

‘Eh, there isn’t much you could ruin. I can just fix it up - oil paint ‘n’ all.” Seulgi says as she pulls a stool in front of the canvas. Irene reluctantly sits on the stool and sits patiently as she watches Seulgi dab paint onto a smaller paint brush.

“You can start with the sky - I mean, I don’t think there’s a high chance of messing that up.” Seulgi chuckles as she hands the paint brush over to Irene.

“You'd be surprised.” Irene snorts before placing the paint brush gently against the canvas.

 

“...am I holding this right?” Irene asks, hand feeling a bit odd holding the paintbrush. 

“Yes, although a bit awkward - here.” Seulgi chuckles before clasping her hand over Irene’s and adjusting her grip.

“You’d want to hold it like this so you don’t smudge your hand against the wet paint.” Seulgi directs her, but Irene ends up staring at Seulgi’s face.

“Did you get that- ‘Rene.” Seulgi speaks but sighs once she finds Irene looking up at her with wide sparkling eyes.

“Yes?” Irene grins cutely.

“You weren’t paying attention?” Seulgi chuckles.

“How can I when I have a hot teacher?” Irene says slyly.

“You’re annoying.” Seulgi chuckles. 

“Am I?” Irene smirks as she pulls Seulgi down to sit on her lap. 

“Very.” Seulgi grins as she wraps her arms around Irene’s shoulders, just before leaning down to capture Irene’s lips in a searing kiss.

 

“Oh my god.” 

The two break apart and turn to see Moonbyul standing in the doorway. Seulgi jumps off Irene’s lap and Irene stands up quickly– adjusting her skirt.

“Hah - this isn’t what it looks like!” Seulgi blurts, but hesitates at the last second since they’ve clearly been busted. “..actually this is exactly what it looks like.” 

“You can’t tell anyone!” Irene tells Moonbyul.

‘Holy - wow - like wow… Irene I can’t believe you were Seulgi’s first kiss!” Moonbyul exclaims with a big smile.

“Could you be any more loud?” Seulgi huffs.

“Sorry.” Moonbyul giggles as she dances around.

“No way - I seriously can’t believe this - ohmygod- wait…” Moonbyul paces her hands over and looks horrified. “The marks around your neck from this morning… that was you! Seulgi, holy !” Moonbyul shakes Seulgi’s shoulder’s violently.

“You’re so grown up!” Moonbyul wails and Irene chuckles at her antics as Seulgi is being shaken harshly.

“It’s not that big of a deal.” Seulgi blushes.

“Yes it is.” Moonbyul stops shaking her.

“Irene, can I please tell Solar?” Moonbyul blinks wide-eyed.

“We weren’t planning on telling anyone at this point…” Irene winces.

“Please, please! I tell Solar everything - I can’t keep this from her!” Moonbyul whines.


 

Irene somehow knew she'd end up in the position of sharing a booth with Seulgi, Moonbyul and Solar– at the supposed excuse of a double date.

 

“Hah! I freaking knew it!” Solar guffaws as she slams her hands down on the table.

“How?” Irene snorts.

“You guys aren’t subtle at all, did you know that? Like seriously, carrying Irene’s tray for her? Seulgi, could you be more of a romantic?” Solar laughs hysterically and Seulgi hides herself in Irene’s shoulder.

“Oh god! Look at them - they’re so cute!” Moonbyul squeals.

 

The food comes around and Irene and Seulgi both have a steak. Seulgi cuts up one plate and swaps the plate in front of Irene with the plate she just cut.

 

“Thank you.” Irene says softly.

“Babe.. I think they’re worse than us.” Moonbyul grimaces as she teases the new couple.

“I’d have to agree”, Solar shudders. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen Irene smile so much.”

“Shut up.” Irene scowls at Solar.

 

“Can I ask, how the hell did this happen?” Moonbyul asks after taking a sip from her fizzy drink.

“Well.” Irene smiles.

“Are you going to tell them, or shall I?” Seulgi smirks and Irene bumps her shoulder.

“I will because I don’t trust your storytelling skills even if I like you.” Irene says.

“Okay, so?” Solar leans forward expectantly.

“Well, it happened on the day of Wendy’s and Solar’s birthday party.” Irene begins.

“Oh you !” Solar guffaws.

“Shut it - anyways, we were just hanging, it was normal and I feel like it was just me but I felt like I was getting closer to Seulgi, and I don’t know - but I was just really attracted to her at that party.” Irene says.

“It wasn’t just you - otherwise I wouldn’t have told you to kiss me.” Seulgi smiles smug.

“Seulgi - you did what!” Moonbyul gasps.

“Let me tell the story! We’re moving too fast!” Irene whines.

“Okay - okay, sorry. Continue.” Solar waves her hands in mock surrender.

“Fast forward, we’re really drunk and the five of us go back to my place. Seulgi’s hanging in the kitchen and I’m obviously still drunk”, Irene retells. “I stumble into the kitchen, we’re talking, and then I basically trip into her. I tell her she looks really beautiful because one - I’m drunk and I can’t stop my mouth and two - I did think she looked really beautiful that night.”

 

Seulgi blushes as she listens to Irene.

 

“Suddenly, Seulgi’s telling me to seal the compliment with a kiss.. and so I do.” Irene shrugs.

“And then she avoids me for weeks.” Seulgi chimes in.

“Oh yea, telling me that your brother needed a ride from the airport was really convincing”, Moonbyul teases. “You don’t even have a brother!”

“I panicked when I saw Seulgi in your apartment okay!” Irene groans.

 

Irene curls into Seulgi and Seulgi’s patting her head affectionately.

 

“Personally, I am so happy you two are together! It’s just - like something I never imagined, but it works, y’know?” Solar says.

“Cheers to you two!” Moonbyul raises her glass.

“Cheers!” They all join their glasses together with a loud clunk.

 

 

Irene collapses onto her bed and Seulgi comes out of the bathroom with a freshly washed face.

 

“I never knew how annoying they could be together.” Irene sighs into her pillow.

“That’s what you get for defiling me.” Seulgi chuckles as she lays down beside Irene, pushing the woman over slightly with her foot.

“Can you not make it sound like that!” Irene hits her with her hand. “I already think about it enough.”

“Okay - that hurts!” Seulgi laughs as she pulls the blanket over herself. Irene wriggles herself into Seulgi’s arms. 

 

Seulgi wriggles too until she's comfortable and holding Irene securely in her arms.

 

“Can’t believe I didn't kiss you any sooner. I’ve been missing out.” Irene sighs into Seulgi’s neck.

“I know.” Seulgi smiles.

“Did you know I had a crush on you?” Seulgi says and Irene looks up at Seulgi.

“What? When?!” Irene questions.

“Freshman year.” Seulgi chuckles.

“But Wendy didn’t introduce us until sophomore year?” Irene frowns.

“I know. I saw you first.” Seulgi says, beginning to retell her first image of Irene. “I saw you in the library and you couldn’t get these violent delights from the top shelf.”

“Wait, I remember and you took the book down and gave it to me!” Irene gasps. “But you had bangs - maybe that's why I don’t remember.”

“Did that really make you have a crush on me?” Irene asks shyly.

“I just remembered getting the book and looking down to hand it down to you and I almost froze. I had seen the most beautiful person in this entire world and I wasn’t able to say a single word. You said thank you and went back to your own little life, and so did I. However I did go back and borrow that book to read - it was pretty good.” Seulgi says.

 

Irene breaks out into a grin as she gazes at Seulgi– feeling something warm bloom in her chest and she can definitely name the feeling, however she won’t just yet.

 

“You remembered the book?” Irene says instead.

“Of course I did.” Seulgi replies with a smile.

Irene leans up and she’s kissing Seulgi.

“What was that for?” Seulgi asks once Irene pulls away.

“Just because.” Irene shrugs with a smile.

Seulgi kisses Irene too.

“What was that one for?” Irene asks, surprised at the sudden action.

“Just because too.” Seulgi repeats Irene, sending the latter in a fit of giggles. The two don’t fall asleep properly after because they end up rolling around on the bed, laughing at each other's antics.


 

The next morning it’s a Saturday and Irene has the sudden urge to go shopping.

 

“Can we go to the mall today?” Irene asks Seulgi who had just woken up.

“Okay.” Seulgi agrees.

 

Seulgi doesn’t complain at all when she’s being dragged around from shop to shop by Irene because she doesn’t feel like complaining at all if Irene’s been holding her hand the entire time. 

 

By the time they head into another clothing store, Seulgi has both hands full with bags and she’s no longer holding Irene’s hand– instead following the girl around.

 

“Seul, this is so cute - you have to try it on!” Irene pulls out a leather jacket from a rack and Seulgi’s just placed down the shopping bags and had sat down on the sofas there.  

“Okay.” Seulgi agrees with a smile.

 

The next thing Seulgi knows is that she looks great in leather jackets– and also flared pants– and also cat-eared beanies.

 

When they’ve finally exited the mall, Seulgi is somewhat relieved and Irene’s just happy with her purchases. Irene stops and shows Seulgi her hand. Seulgi shuffles all the bags onto one hand and intertwines her now free one with Irene’s.

 

“Seul - I was asking to hold some bags!” Irene laughs, but she doesn’t let go.

“Oh.” Seulgi blushes.

“It’s not heavy?” Irene asks as they begin to walk.

“No.” Seulgi shakes her head with a grin.


 

At the next friendly dinner they have, Yeri has had a menacing smile on her face the entire time even after it’s time to eat dessert. In the beginning, Sooyoung had asked her why she was smiling like that and the girl could only shrug and say she had something to show the group later. Apparently now was the time.

 

Yeri cleared loudly.

“I have something I would like to present to the table.” Yeri says with her fingers together like an evil mastermind.

“What is it?” Irene questions, always entertaining the youngest of them, although she may regret it later.

“This is about Kang Seulgi.” Seulgi looks up from her plate and blinks.

“M-me?” She questions and Yeri nods slowly.

“Okay, I’m in. Tell us now.” Sooyoung exclaims.

“Since the fiasco at Moonbyul’s party and the fateful night we discovered Kang Seulgi had her first kiss,” Yeri starts off. “I have been gracefully gifted an opportunity to discover who may have taken said kiss.”

“Shut up - who!” Sooyoung grins maniacally.

 

Yeri pulls out a stack of pictures from the inside of her jacket pocket.

 

“I took these on my phone but I also went to print them out for dramatic effect.” Yeri says. The first couple of pictures are blurry, but you can tell that they’re Seulgi. The rest however is definitely Seulgi with her hand intertwined with a womans.

 

Seulgi finds herself spitting out the lemonade she had been sipping on and Irene’s cheeks have begun to flame bright red.

 

“Kang Seulgi, you !” Seungwan gasps with a grin.

“H-how did you even get this?!” Seulgi asks, looking at the photos of her looking cosy.

“I bumped into you at the mall and you were too busy being all mushy mushy to notice.” Yeri giggles.

“Who is this secret girlfriend?!” Seungwan asks.

“I-I can’t say…” Seulgi covers her hands over and Irene begins to sink away into her seat.

 

Suddenly Seungwan turns to her abruptly.

 

“Unnie, you’ve been getting closer to Seulgi, do you know it is?” Seungwan asks and Irene shoots upright in her seat.

“Uh no - no idea.” Irene stammers.

“Seulgi please tell us!” Yeri begs.

“Please, please, please!” Sooyoung begs the same way.

“I can’t believe I’m joining these two - but seriously please tell us.” Seungwan begs too.

 

Seulgi turns to Irene helplessly and Irene grimaces.

 

“I think that's enough guys. If Seulgi wants to tell us then she will soon - it’s probably for the sake of the other woman too.” Irene swoops in to save the day.

“Party pooper.” Yeri pouts before sitting back down obediently and putting the pictures away.

 

Yeri went back to her place first, then it was Sooyoung and Seungwan. Seulgi had begun to linger back but not suspiciously just in case Seungwan or Sooyoung were going to ask questions she didn’t want to answer.

 

“I’m staying over at Wan’s, be good to Irene-unnie, Seulgi!” Sooyoung waves her hands enthusiastically as she exits the door. “Oh - and find out who the girlfriend is!” 

“Bye guys!” Seungwan leaves with her girlfriend obliviously.

 

As soon as the door closes, Irene finds herself leaning on Seulgi who is washing dishes in the kitchen. She wraps her arms around Seulgi’s midriff and rests her cheek against Seulgi’s back.

 

“I’m so tired.” Irene hums.

“Me too.. close call, huh?” Seulgi chuckles as she dries off her hands. She turns around and wraps her arms around Irene’s shoulders and brings her closer. 

“We’ll tell them soon.” Irene says. “I’d rather just bask in this a little longer.” 

“Me too.” Seulgi grins, leaning down to kiss the crown of Irene’s head.


 

The next time the group is together, it’s the morning and they’ve all decided to grab coffee together before class and Irene is ordering on behalf of them. Everyone seems pleased that Irene is ordering and subsequently paying except for Seulgi because at the moment, she doesn’t really like the guy taking the orders. He seems too friendly for Seulgi’s liking– all smiles and charmingness. 

 

Irene returns and Sooyoung has another -eating grin on her face.

 

“It was him, wasn’t it?” Sooyoung says once Irene sits down.

“Him what?” Irene asks, looking back to see where Sooyoung was looking.

“Minho? What about him?” Irene questions.

“Oh Minho now is it?” Sooyoung cackles.

“Sooyoung, just spit it out.” Irene sighs.

“Was he the guy that rearranged your guts last week!” Sooyoung hits her on the arm incessantly.

“Ow - what, no!” Irene denies. “Shut up, he’s coming here!” Irene pinches Sooyoung.

 

Minho rounds the table with a tray in his hands full of the drinks for the girls.

 

“Alright, four americanos, and one hot chocolate for Miss Bae.” Minho smiles.

“Thank you.” Irene grabs the hot chocolate and glares at Sooyoung. He places down all the americanos and Seulgi sips on her a bit too hard.

“Hey- I just wanted to check that we’re still on tonight?” Minho prepares to leave but he turns around at the last step.

“Yep, of course! I wouldn’t miss it for the world.” Irene smiles.

‘Alright, cool.” Minho grins before walking away.

 

“! I wouldn’t miss it for the world~.” Yeri mocks her.

“What the hell was that!” Sooyoung guffaws and Irene rolls her eyes.

“Shut up.” Irene grumbles.

“What’s tonight?” Seungwan asks.

“A date.” Irene answers vaguely. 

 

Seulgi blinks.

 

“Now if you’ll excuse me, I have class.” Irene says before pushing out her chair and taking her hot chocolate with her.

 

Seulgi’s eyes follow Irene as she exits, and many questions begin to bubble at the tip of her tongue.

 

Later in Sooyoung and Irene’s apartment– Sooyoung had taken it upon herself to stand in Irene’s doorway as she analysed the way the older girl was getting ready. Irene had questioned it in the beginning and Sooyoung still hadn’t left. Irene spritzed herself with perfume and Sooyoung recognises it as the perfume Irene uses when it’s an occasion.

 

“I see you are generous with that perfume.” Sooyoung comments– Irene doesn’t engage. “And you look pretty cute too…” Sooyoung trails off.

“Do you need something, Park Sooyoung?” Irene sighs.

“Yes - actually, are you seriously going out on a date with café guy?” Sooyoung asks with curious eyes.

“What’s it to you?” Irene smiles annoyingly.

“I am just being a good dongsaeng - looking out for you and your love life.” Sooyoung pouts.

“Well be a good dongsaeng and don’t ask questions.” Irene pats Sooyoung’s head. “I’ll come home later.”

 

Just as Irene prepares to leave, the front door opens and Seungwan pops in.

 

“Hey unnie, wow - you look amazing!” Seungwan compliments her.

“Why thank you, Seungwan-ah.” Irene smiles warmly.

“Stay out of trouble with Sooyoung, I’m gonna be late - bye!” Irene opens the door and swings her bag over her shoulder, adjusting it.

 

Seulgi jolts out of her reverie when there’s a series of knocks on her apartment door. She slips out of the blanket and gets up from the living room couch to open the door. She blinks once, twice and again when she finds Irene on the other side.

 

“Irene.” Seulgi says.

“Seulgi.” Irene grins. “Aren’t you going to let me in?” 

“Oh - uh, right.” Seulgi steps aside and blinks again when Irene bounces into her apartment.

“What are you - uh - what are you doing here?” Seulgi stumbles upon her words.

“Well, I’m going on a date.” Irene says and Seulgi scratches at her neck.

“But you’re here…?” Seulgi murmurs.

“Yes. You are my date. Get ready - and look hot.” Irene pushes Seulgi into her room.

“B-but I thought you were um..” Seulgi clears – not wanting to sound suspicious. “I thought you were going on a date with that Minho guy.”

“Seul.” Irene looks at her.

“Yes..?” Seulgi looks at her wall.

“Are you jealous?” Irene smiles.

“No… why would I be?” Seulgi blushes.

“Exactly. Why would you be?” Irene says. “We’re going to a clay and sip pottery class date night with Kibum and his boyfriend.”

“Really?” Seulgi lights up.

“Yes - really.” Irene laughs at Seulgi’s bright expression.

“But what about the Minho guy? You said you'd see him tonight?” Seulgi asks, a bit confused still.

“Oh we are.” Irene says.

 

“Who’s Kibum’s boyfriend?” Irene asks suddenly.

“His roommate.” Seulgi answers– knowing that like it’s common knowledge. 

Irene grins knowingly. “Minho is Kibum’s roommate.”

 

It takes a few seconds of Seulgi’s brain gears moving into place and Irene blinking expectantly at Seulgi for it to click in her mind.

 

“Oh - oh!” Seulgi exclaims.

“Yup.” Irene nods.

“Wow. That’s pretty cool.” Seulgi says.

“It is - now get dressed!” Irene smacks Seulgi’s .

 

Irene can’t stop grinning when Seulgi and her are out the door and she’s clinging onto Seulgi who’s dressed in a white button up shirt and wearing the leather jacket she bought a couple weeks ago on top. Seulgi finds Irene endearing as the latter smiles and snuggles into Seulgi’s arm.

 

“Hey! You made it!” Minho waves at Irene. 

“Hey!” Irene runs up and hugs him.

“Girl, you look amazing!” She hugs Kibum too.

“Thank you.” Irene beams.

“Hi, I’m Seulgi - nice to meet you properly this time.” Seulgi shakes hands with Minho.

“I’m Minho. Nice to meet you too.” Minho smiles.

“I honestly thought Irene was lying when she said she’d bring a date - and to my surprise, it is you Kang Seulgi.” Kibum teases and Seulgi blushes.

“Well, it’s a new thing.” Irene smiles as she intertwines her hand with Seulgi’s. 

 

Kibum squeals.

 

“C’mon, let’s get inside.” Minho opens the door to let everyone in.

 

The ambience of the pottery studio is warm as the lights are dim and slow jazz music plays in the background.

 

“This place is really nice.” Seulgi tells Irene as she looks around.

“I know. It’s so cosy.” Irene says.

“How’d you find this place?” Seulgi asks.

“I didn’t, Kibum did. He pestered me to come, but I didn’t want to third wheel, but well - you came along.” Irene smiles at Seulgi.
“I guess I did.” Seulgi grins.

 

They take their seats on the stools at the pottery wheels all beside each other. The teacher comes around and directs them in the beginning and supervises them to check on them. Irene doesn’t need help since Seulgi is an art major and knows what she’s doing so she can always ask Seulgi for help. Minho and Kibum are bickering quietly as Minho is getting clay water on Kibum’s shoes.

 

“A drink?” A waiter comes around with a tray of wine glasses.

“Oh - yes please.” Irene smiles kindly. The wine glasses are served and they all take a drink before focusing on making their clay take the shape of their chosen object. Irene had gone to make a mug and Seulgi wanted to match so she made a mug too. Kibum and Minho had opted for a bowl and a plate.

 

Irene and Seulgi are busy giggling to themselves as they paint their mugs to match– even carving out ‘I <3 S’ on the bottom of both mugs. Kibum watches the two of them interact with a warm smile.

 

When they call it a night, Kibum is tipsy as Minho attempts to hold him upright to get into the cab and Irene is tipsy although she can walk, but she’d rather cling onto Seulgi.

 

“Joohyun-ah! I love you! Be good to Seulgi and get home safe!” Kibum shouts before Minho’s pushing him into the cab.

“Bye!” Irene waves both hands haphazardly as she bumps into Seulgi, who steadies her. 

 

The cab drives off and Seulgi’s trying to hold Irene still as she drapes her leather jacket over Irene’s shoulders.

“Want to take a walk?” Seulgi asks and Irene nods.

“Sure!”

 

The two of them walk into the park, swinging their joined hands back and forth. 

“I’m glad I came today with you guys.” Seulgi confesses.

“Really?” Irene asks.

“Really. It was nice! You and Kibum seem to be really close.” Seulgi smiles. 

“We are - I mean, we did grow up together. He’s like my older brother, but we’re the same age, so maybe like a twin I never had.” Irene says and Seulgi chuckles.

“It’s sweet.” Seulgi says.

“I guess it is. He always checks up on me by making me go out with him and Minho.” Irene chuckles as she kicks at a pebble.

“I guess that’s like when Seungwan makes me go out with her and Sooyoung.” Seulgi says.

“You’re totally right!” Irene bursts into laughter at the comparison.

 

They walk quietly through the park as they fall onto the path that leads to Irene’s apartment.

 

“So… Joohyun?” Seulgi asks.

“Oh - did Kibum call me that?” Irene asks and Seulgi nods.

“It’s my Korean name. Usually my family and close friends call me that, but I rarely use it.” Irene tells her.

“It’s a beautiful name.” Seulgi says and Irene smiles.

“Would you mind if I called you Joohyun sometimes?” Seulgi asks.

“I wouldn’t mind. I’d actually enjoy hearing you call me that.” Irene says bashfully.

“Okay - Joohyun-ah.” Seulgi raises their joined hands and kisses the back of Irene’s hand.

 

Seulgi walks Irene to the door of her apartment and Irene leans in to hug Seulgi tightly.

 

“Thank you for coming today.” Irene says into Seulgi’s neck.

“You’re welcome.” Seulgi quips.

Irene pulls away to kiss Seulgi and Seulgi doesn’t want to go just yet as she leans forward until Irene’s back is touching the door.

“Seul..” Irene moans.

Seulgi pulls away– holding Irene’s lips between her teeth and letting it go with a resounding pop.

“I'll see you next time, Joohyun-ah.” Seulgi grins as she begins to walk backwards towards the exit.

“Bye.” Irene waves with one hand on the door knob. She doesn’t enter until she sees Seulgi completely gone. When she enters her apartment, she finds Sooyoung asleep on the couch cuddled up with Seungwan.

 

“...Hey, how’d it go?” Seungwan asks her.

“Jesus - you scared me.” Irene jumps a foot in the air– not knowing Seungwan’s awake.

“Sorry.” Seungwan smiles sheepishly.

“It was good. I had a nice time.” Irene grins and Seungwan smiles.

“I’m glad.” Seungwan nods approvingly.

“Make sure she gets into bed properly”, Irene says as she heads to her room. “Good night, Seungwan.”

“I will. Night, unnie.” Seungwan calls back to her.


 

Seungwan’s staying over at Irene’s again, so Irene’s bouncing her way over to see Seulgi. With a box in hand, she knocks on the apartment door excitedly and waits for Seulgi to open it. Seulgi doesn’t waste any time upon hearing the first knock– swinging the door open and pulling Irene in– kissing her first thing. The air gets knocked out from Irene’s lungs as Seulgi kisses her with warmth.

 

“Mm - I guess you’re excited to see me?” Irene giggles when she pulls away.

“I missed you.” Seulgi says simply.

“I missed you too.” Irene kisses Seulgi again.

 

Irene pulls Seulgi to the kitchen table and makes her sit down. She then rounds the table and sits across from Seulgi and pulls out the box from behind her. 

 

“What’s in it?” Seulgi asks, leaning forward.

“Guess!” Irene grins.

“Hm.. I’m not sure.” Seulgi grins.

“Our mugs came in!” Irene beams.

 

Seulgi gets a kitchen knife and carefully opens the cardboard box as Irene sits at the table, kicking her feet patiently. Once the knife is aside, Irene opens the box flaps and takes out the packaging papers and brings out two carefully bubble wrapped mugs. Irene tears the bubble wrap open and Seulgi unravels it where the tape was stuck.

 

“They’re so cute!” Seulgi coos.

“They shrunk!” Irene exclaims with a smile. Irene pushes the mugs together and then they’re both taking pictures of them. Seulgi runs into her room and brings out a polaroid camera before snapping a picture of the mugs side by side. When Irene’s not looking, she snaps a picture of Irene.

“What was that?” Irene blinks from the flash.

“Keepsake.” Seulgi shrugs with a smile.

“Let me see!” Irene reaches for Seulgi with a grabby motion of her hands.

“It’s developing.” Seulgi excuses as she holds the polaroid high above her head.

“Yah! Kang Seulgi!” Irene jumps and tries grabbing the picture– only for her to trip and push Seulgi, but luckily the couch was behind them. 

 

Irene lands on top of Seulgi– winding the latter for a moment, giving Irene enough time to snatch the polaroid.

 

“Seul! I look terrible!” Irene whines. Seulgi joins her hands together, locking Irene in place as the other is still on top of her. 

“I think you look beautiful.” Seulgi grins. 

Irene looks down at her with an angry expression.

“How can you be so angry and so cute at the same time?” Seulgi giggles. 

“You’re annoying.” Irene finds herself smiling.

“Am I?” Seulgi smirks.

“Very…” Irene gives in and then she’s leaning down– kissing Seulgi sweetly.

 

Irene sits up and pats Seulgi’s stomach like a drum.

 

“C’mon, let’s use the mugs!” Irene jumps a bit and Seulgi makes a noise.

“I’ll make my famous hot choco!” Irene beams.

Seulgi’s looking up at Irene with a gleam in her eyes and she could identify what the gleam means, however she won’t just yet.

“Okay.” Seulgi easily agrees.

 

The rest of the day is spent with them sipping on hot chocolate while cuddling on the couch– and this time they don’t watch a horror movie because Seulgi gave in and Irene had put on the Notebook. 


 

It's dinner night again with the group and this time it’s at Seungwan’s and Seulgi’s place, since Seungwan wanted to cook a new recipe this time. It all goes smoothly unlike the last time when Seulgi’s love life was exposed– which she’s still in the hot seat for because Sooyoung, Seungwan, and Yeri won’t leave her alone. Somehow amidst all of that, Irene seems to be least affected since they don’t know about her and Seulgi.  

 

“Unnie, do you remember if I left my purple sweater at your place last week when I slept over?” Yeri asks as she sits down beside Irene.

“Not sure.” Irene shrugs. “I’ll check when i get home, though.”

“Okay, thanks.” Yeri nods.

 

“Hot - hot - hot, coming through!” Seungwan heads to the dinner table with two plates of grilled salmon salad. Sooyoung follows with the other three plates. Everyone takes a plate and sits and eats. Seungwan sits in anticipation– has not yet touched her own plate since she’s a bit nervous. 

“Seungwan, this is amazing!” Irene’s eyes widen when she takes a fork full of the grilled salmon.

“Thank you.” Wendy grins bashfully.

 

They’re chatting like normal, eating like normal until hits the fan.

 

“I need me some juice!” Yeri exclaims loudly before skipping over to the fridge.

“I stocked up on your apple juice, it’s near the bottom!” Seungwan calls back out to her.

“Thanks, mama!” Yeri whoops.

 

She opens the cabinet where the cups and glasses are and the first thing that catches her eye is a mug that strikingly resembles the one she saw in Irene’s apartment last week.

 

“Huh, this mug looks exactly like-” Yeri checks it out– and then she’s looking at the bottom of the mug. “Holy !”

“You alright, Yeri?” Irene calls out to her.

“Uh - y-yeah, I’m fine!” Yeri’s eyes widen and she goes through quite literally all the stages of grief as the unmistakable painting patterns and ‘I <3 S’ carved in the bottom comes as quite a shocker for Yeri. Never has she thought of the possibilities of Irene and Seulgi, and now she knows and doesn’t know what to do with this information.

 

“Irene-unnie, Seulgi-unnie, I need help with the uh - fruits!” Yeri calls out to the others and she isn’t questioned because she’s the youngest of them. 

“Okay, one sec!” Irene answers.

 

Seulgi bounces in and then it’s Irene. 

 

“Lucky you called us, ‘cause I don’t think I trust you with a knife to cut fruits.” Seulgi chuckles, but then Yeri doesn't have a snarky remark and she halts.

“Uhh.. no snarky remarks?” Seulgi questions.

“No, I have far more important matters at hand.” Yeri in a big breath and she pulls out the mug and holds it out in front of them.

 

Irene’s eyes widen and she gasps a little.

 

“What?” Seulgi blinks.

“Seul, the mug!” Irene whispers and then it clicks in her mind.

“Ohh…” Seulgi’s eyes widened.

“Is that all you have to say for yourselves!” Yeri gasps.

“Well.” Seulgi’s mind freezes.

“We didn’t mean to keep it from everyone, but it just happened and we we’re going to tell you guys soon!” Irene says as quietly as she can.

“What! How long has this been going on!” Yeri’s jaw drops for another time this night.

“...since Wendy’s birthday.” Irene winces.

“What!” Yeri runs her hands down her face.

“Shush!” Seulgi covers Yeri’s mouth with her hand.


Yeri blinks.

 

“Don’t you dare…” Seulgi whispers.

“Ugh - ew, Yeri!” Seulgi takes her hand away and wipes Yeri’s saliva on Yeri’s shirt.

“You were basically asking for it.” Yeri shrugs nonchalantly.

 

“Are you guys making fruit art, what’s taking so long!” Sooyoung calls out.

“Uh - Irene’s making rabbit apples!” Seulgi says and Irene looks at her unimpressed.

“Okay!” Sooyoung replies.

“Seriously, Seul.” Irene deadpans. 

“Sorry - I panicked!” Seulgi whimpers.

 

“Okay, well now we should actually cut fruit.” Irene shakes her head before taking out a few fruits enough for the five of them.

Yeri props herself on the kitchen counter as she watches Irene and Seulgi prepare the fruit.


Seulgi quietly peels the fruit and passes it over to Irene for her to cut and plate. Yeri watches them interact closely.

“Cute rabbits.” Seulgi says. “I didn’t think you’d actually be able to do it.”

“Thanks, and don’t underestimate me… however I did google a picture just then.” Irene giggles and Seulgi bumps her hip against Irene’s.

“God, this is sickening.” Yeri gags.

“Oh, she’s still there.” Seulgi chuckles.

“Yes. I’m still very here and not finished with you two.” Yeri says monotonously.

 

Irene plates the fruit neatly before handing the plate to Yeri.

 

“Go on and take the credit.” Seulgi sneers.

“I have your life in my hands right now - don’t test me.” Yeri scowls at Seulgi and Seulgi straightens up immediately.

“Yerim-ah.” Irene says sternly.

“Yes, mom.” Yerim grumbles.

 

“Wow, this is so cute, unnie!” Wendy compliments as she grabs an apple rabbit slice. 

“Thank you~!” Sooyoung grins before snatching a slice.

“You’re welcome.” Irene smiles.

“C’mon, we gotta clean up the kitchen.” Irene subtly gestures to both Seulgi and Yerim.

 

The two follow her until they’re back in the confines of the kitchen. 

 

“Now, do you have questions that you would like to ask, Yeri-ah?” Irene asks calmly.

“Many!” Yeri nods vigorously.

“Okay, ask - however, if Seul and I do not want to answer, we won’t.” Irene says and Yeri nods.

“Are you guys hooking up or dating?” Yeri asks.

“Dating.” Irene answers easily.

“Okay.” Yeri nods approvingly.

“Okay..? No more questions?” Seulgi asks.

“Yes. That’s it.” Yeri blinks.

“Really?” Irene is a bit dumbfounded.

“Mhm.” Yeri nods.

 

And then Yeri’s grinning really hard.

 

“What now..?” Seulgi chuckles nervously.

Ouuuu~ you guys are in looove~” Yeri snickers and Irene’s rolling her eyes before she’s resting her head on Seulgi’s shoulder.

“But also, who else knows?” Yeri questions.

“Moonbyul caught us and then she told Solar.” Irene says.

“Caught you doing what?” Yeri asks.

“Oh.” Yeri smirks.

“Get your head out of the gutter! We were just kissing!” Seulgi kicks her with her socked foot. Yeri dodges and Irene catches her in a tight hug.

“We’re not letting you escape - you little bug!” Irene giggles and Yeri’s giggling too.

 

“What are you guys giggling about, I have fomo.” Sooyoung pops into the kitchen with a pout.

“Nothing much.” Seulgi grins as she has Yeri in a headlock.

“Are we hugging, I want a hug too!” Sooyoung jumps onto them and holds all three of them.

“I can’t breathe!” Yeri giggles loudly.

“Seungwan-ah, come too!” Irene laughs and Wendy comes in floundering like a small puppy.

“Yay!” Wendy cheers before squeezing in and Sooyoung wraps her arm around her girlfriend.

“How nice!” Wendy squeals.

 

Irene smiles until there’s a warmth all over her body and Seulgi smiles until her cheeks ache. They meet eyes across the group hug and Irene’s smiling; she mouths, “I love you.” Seulgi’s eyes widen and then she’s smiling until her eyes are gone into crescents.

“I love you too.” She mouths back.


 

 

 

 

 

Outtakes; Sooyoung and Seungwan find out.

 

It had been a quiet Sunday and Irene and Seulgi had been inside Irene’s apartment all day, laying in bed, lounging in the living room, and kissing– a lot. They had just watched Seulgi’s pick of a movie this time, Before sunrise and by the time they got to the second movie, Irene began to doze off and Seulgi too. Both of them slowly slid down until they were lying down in each other arms instead of sitting.

 

They wake up later– Irene first because for some reason, she feels an odd presence in the room with them. She blinks awake and finds long hair in her face. She flinches and when she looks up, she finds Sooyoung looking down at her.


“Sooyoung, what the .” Irene sighs as she tenses and relaxes at the sight of the younger girl.

“I’d like to ask that question too.” Sooyoung smirks. 

 

Irene turns her head slightly and finds Seulgi sound asleep in Irene’s shoulder with one arm holding Irene and preventing her from falling off the couch.

 

“I feel like I called this.” Sooyoung nodded smugly.

“Did I or not predict this happening, baby?” Sooyoung asks Seungwan– who is standing right next to her.

“Definitely did.” Seungwan snorted at the sight of Seulgi and Irene all cuddled up.

“Seul, wake up.” Irene nudges her girlfriend.

“Hm.. what is it, Hyun-ah?” Seulgi murmurs in her sleep.

 

Irene’s ear burns at the nickname.

 

“Oh I see how it is - Hyun-ah.” Sooyoung snickers.

“Shut up.” Irene mutters.

“Get up. I want to go eat.” Sooyoung pokes Irene’s stomach.

“Give us a sec.” Irene sighs before getting up and pulling Seulgi up with her.